ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: How do you prefer to cut the engine?
toggle the cut-off switch 95 45.24%
turn the ignition key to off 84 40.00%
put the kickstand down 15 7.14%
no preference (use all 3 interchangeably) 16 7.62%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #81
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Wow. Maybe I'm just a geezer but I would never trust the kickstand sensor to kill the bike in gear all the time. It would never, EVER, have occurred to me to reliably turn off the bike this way. Not judging -- it just seems like a lot could go wrong if the sensor got road gunk in it or etc.

In all my years of riding, I've had many kickstand sensors fail for various reasons and never once had a kill switch fail. YMMV, of course. *shrug*
Well, considering if that switch fails its far more dangerous than the kill switch failing....at least ill know it needs to be fixed instead of finding out when the stand levers the rear wheel of the ground in a corner and dumps me on the pavement.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #82
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

I usually park it, put it in neutral, hit the kill switch then put the kickstand down and get off the bike. Then I take off my helmet and gloves and put the key in my pocket. Sometimes I'll take the key out before or after I take off my gloves and helmet, it really depends what kind of mood I'm in though.

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #83
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

I use the key because I find it easier and saves a step. I also remember reading in the manual it recommends the key for stopping the engine "ordinarily". But I guess thats because they think you are going to leave the electrics on for awhile after the engine stops.
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #84
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

In reality, it doesnt really matter.. They are all switches, they all turn the engine off the same way electronically.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #85
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I use the key because, after all, I need to turn it off anyway and remove the key. Using the kill switch is overkill, so to speak.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #86
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

I use my key most of the time, but occasionally the kickstand. I don't see why all the hate about the latter.

The switch gets actuated every time the kickstand goes down, so it's not as if you are going to wear it out by using it more, since you have to use it every time you park the bike.

And in the extremely unlikely event that it did fail, it will be obvious - you will put your kickstand down, and the bike will not turn off. Big deal, then turn the key or hit the kill switch.

Unless you're doing something stupid like getting off the bike THEN shutting it off with the kickstand, I don't see how it is unsafe or unwise to rely on it.

That all being said, the kill switch method is probably best so you learn to instinctively go for it in a panic situation.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #87
algerath
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF View Post
I use my key most of the time, but occasionally the kickstand. I don't see why all the hate about the latter.

The switch gets actuated every time the kickstand goes down, so it's not as if you are going to wear it out by using it more, since you have to use it every time you park the bike.

And in the extremely unlikely event that it did fail, it will be obvious - you will put your kickstand down, and the bike will not turn off. Big deal, then turn the key or hit the kill switch.

Unless you're doing something stupid like getting off the bike THEN shutting it off with the kickstand, I don't see how it is unsafe or unwise to rely on it.

That all being said, the kill switch method is probably best so you learn to instinctively go for it in a panic situation.
In the unlikely event that it did fail, you would immediately know it needs repaired!

Not having a kickstand switch could possibly be bad. I know of 2 people personally who have wrecked from a down stand. One never put it up, one came down while riding.

Anyone ever have one fail on the ninjette? Do they typically fail so that the bike won't run or do they tend to fail so that it won't shut off with the stand down?
algerath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #88
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

How many here have read their owner's manual?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #89
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

I take my key out. So why wouldn't you just turn it off with the key? lol
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #90
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
I take my key out. So why wouldn't you just turn it off with the key? lol
+1

Plus if your leave your bike having killed it with the kick-stand... you would have to get it back to neutral to let it warm for the next ride. Just seems to make better sense to me to kill it with the key after putting it in neutral.

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #91
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

Always enjoy these Shakespearean threads - "Much Ado About Nothing"

I must confess to be absolutely ambivalent, or in this case "tri-valent" about the methodology employed to turn off my motorcycles.

From time to time I use the kill switch (encouraged by the MSF) as a muscle memory reminder in the event it's needed in an emergency.

I'll use the kickstand when I intend to leave the bike in gear when parked or when parking on ground with uncertain firmness or stability.

And finally, I will typically use the key when parking in the garage or driveway and always take the key whenever a motorcycle is left unattended.

Strangely enough, each methodology seems to be equally effective regardless of the motorcycle. Who'd a thought?
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #92
tanman2003
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 2007 Harley Davidson Nightster XL 1200N

should have added "stalling out" as an option. lol. just to see the votes.
tanman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #93
algerath
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
How many here have read their owner's manual?
AH the owners manual, yes it says to use the key.

This is the same owners manual for my 2010 ninja that on page 37 recommends i practice switching the petcock to the reserve position, it also recommends that I shift from 5th to 6th gear at 25mph (about 3k rpm?), it recommends the first two oil changes at 600 and 7500 miles and every 7500 after, and forbids any tampering with the exhaust, airbox and carbs.

I don't have a lot of faith in my owners manual.

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #94
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by algerath View Post

This is the same owners manual for my 2010 ninja that on page 37 recommends i practice switching the petcock to the reserve position, it also recommends that I shift from 5th to 6th gear at 25mph (about 3k rpm?), it recommends the first two oil changes at 600 and 7500 miles and every 7500 after, and forbids any tampering with the exhaust, airbox and carbs.

massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #95
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Usually I turn the key, but once in a while I'll use the other methods just to make sure the switches work. Just like checking your bulbs from time to time... if you don't check, you'll never know.

I once took a trip and noticed that my tail light had gone only because I happened to hop off near sunset to take a photo and left the bike running. I'd probably been riding two days, at night, with no tail light.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #96
dubojr1

Quote:

Umm... We are not trying to break speed records or gain 30 extra HP... We are just trying to turn the thing off. I think the owners manual is sufficient.

Old September 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #97
algerath
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Umm... We are not trying to break speed records or gain 30 extra HP... We are just trying to turn the thing off. I think the owners manual is sufficient.
I don't think it is
It doesn't have anything to do with speed or adding power, the examples were to show the owners manual has some bad advice in it.

You can ride your bike around at 25mph in 6th if you want, but not me. Lugging the engine is bad. this is a really bad one, seriously go out and try it.

You can buy a brand new bike and be on your second oil change at 7500 miles, I wouldn't.

The petcock part, where the manual recommends something that has been absent for 3 years after a major model change shows how little attention has been paid to the writing of the manual.

When I park at work on a hill, after I pull in the spot, I have the clutch in with the bike in 1st and the brake applied to hold the bike still on the hill, i am not going to release the controls to turn the key just because the dumbass manual recommends it.

I love my bike but the manual is crap, just because something is in the manual doesn't mean it is the best or only way.

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #98
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i usually just lay the bike on its side in gear... it either stalls from the tire, the carbs, or spins until it runs out of gas or hits something. either way its entertaining for the local kids

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #99
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

I use the killswitch most the time with the clutch in just for extra safety. Never hurts right? And if some Dumba** tries to steal it, there is a good chance they won't figure out why it wont start.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #100
dubojr1

Quote:
I don't think it is
It doesn't have anything to do with speed or adding power, the examples were to show the owners manual has some bad advice in it.

You can ride your bike around at 25mph in 6th if you want, but not me. Lugging the engine is bad. this is a really bad one, seriously go out and try it.

You can buy a brand new bike and be on your second oil change at 7500 miles, I wouldn't.

The petcock part, where the manual recommends something that has been absent for 3 years after a major model change shows how little attention has been paid to the writing of the manual.

When I park at work on a hill, after I pull in the spot, I have the clutch in with the bike in 1st and the brake applied to hold the bike still on the hill, i am not going to release the controls to turn the key just because the dumbass manual recommends it.

I love my bike but the manual is crap, just because something is in the manual doesn't mean it is the best or only way.
I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were smarter than the Kawasaki engineers that designed this bike and the manual to go with it.

Old September 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #101
algerath
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i usually just lay the bike on its side in gear... it either stalls from the tire, the carbs, or spins until it runs out of gas or hits something. either way its entertaining for the local kids
I like this idea... you don't really even need the side stand, just take it off. after a couple times nobody would want to steal your bike anymore. If you park in a crowded parking lot you could also just lean it against someone's car, or wedge it between two cars for added security!!

I bet people wouldn't screw with you if they watched you ride up and just throw your bike to the ground and casually walk away.

Old September 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #102
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #103
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Anybody who's worried about wearing a part out needs to think about the most important thing.....how easy it's going to be to fix that part once it wears out.

Both the key and the thumb kill switch are the HARDEST and most expensive of the three methods to fix, the kickstand kill switch is the easiest.

Plus anyone still leaving their bike in Neutral while parked hasn't yet had the displeasure of coming out to find your bike on it's side because it rolled off the stand. Add up the cost of replacing the side fairing, shift lever, clutch lever, left turn signal, left bar end, and maybe even the left side of the tail or the left mirror.

It's much cheaper just to leave it in gear while it's parked, same as a car with a manual transmission.

It's extremely easy to reach forward with your foot and flick it up into Neutral before starting.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #104
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Anybody who's worried about wearing a part out needs to think about the most important thing.....how easy it's going to be to fix that part once it wears out.

Both the key and the thumb kill switch are the HARDEST and most expensive of the three methods to fix, the kickstand kill switch is the easiest.

Plus anyone still leaving their bike in Neutral while parked hasn't yet had the displeasure of coming out to find your bike on it's side because it rolled off the stand. Add up the cost of replacing the side fairing, shift lever, clutch lever, left turn signal, left bar end, and maybe even the left side of the tail or the left mirror.

It's much cheaper just to leave it in gear while it's parked, same as a car with a manual transmission.

It's extremely easy to reach forward with your foot and flick it up into Neutral before starting.
Agreed. Besides, it's 2011. The switches will probably outlast the bike anyway if you take any care of it
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #105
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post
Agreed. Besides, it's 2011. The switches will probably outlast the bike anyway if you take any care of it
I haven't had the best experiences with them lasting too long... But the one I had to fix was older.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #106
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
While I agree completely with the above, I don't understand what it has to do with the method of turning off the bike. I see a lot of people using "but I park in gear!" as a reason for using the kickstand to kill the bike engine...I've personally never had a problem with using the kill switch when the bike was in gear. Or even -- crazy talk here -- coming to a complete/safe stop in neutral, using the kill switch to stop the engine, and then downshifting into 1st to park.

I don't honestly care whether people use the kickstand to stop the engine (though I think it's a bit silly), but it's sort of strange to say "I use the kickstand to stop the bike because I park it in gear."

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #107
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
How about, "I use the kickstand to stop the bike because I don't want Lord Voldemort to get me."

Old September 16th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #108
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
How about, "I use the kickstand to stop the bike because I don't want Lord Voldemort to get me."
Now that's a valid reason.

Old September 16th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #109
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Alex, you really do crack me up

I personally use the kill switch pretty much always. I guess it's possible that I've used the key before... but I'm almost certain I've never turned the bike off by putting down the kickstand.

I leave my bike in neutral when I park it at home or at work because both are flat ground. At home I leave the key in the ignition... it's locked in the garage and I'm on a military installation. If someone wants it that bad... it's yours. I don't like to leave it in first because I like to warm the bike up while putting my gear on... I don't get on the bike til I'm geared up and it's inconvenient to put it into neutral while standing next to the bike.

I know there really is no "right" way to do it... I did find this thread entertaining to read though
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 02:53 PM   #110
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
While I agree completely with the above, I don't understand what it has to do with the method of turning off the bike. I see a lot of people using "but I park in gear!" as a reason for using the kickstand to kill the bike engine...I've personally never had a problem with using the kill switch when the bike was in gear. Or even -- crazy talk here -- coming to a complete/safe stop in neutral, using the kill switch to stop the engine, and then downshifting into 1st to park.

I don't honestly care whether people use the kickstand to stop the engine (though I think it's a bit silly), but it's sort of strange to say "I use the kickstand to stop the bike because I park it in gear."
If you want to deliberately overcomplicate things, more power to ya.

For me, I roll up to where I park the bike, and drop the kickstand in gear. The only time I ever shift into neutral while I'm on the bike is at a stoplight and my hands are hurting, otherwise I'm always in gear with the clutch pulled in. I do that because SUV drivers around here have a bad habit of not seeing bikes at lights and I'd like the option of getting the BLEEP out the way ASAP if they screw up.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:35 PM   #111
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

Ride her until she runs out of gas
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #112
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

Do you use your kill switch?

I always turn my bike off with the key. i guess because im lazy

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #113
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil7153 View Post
I mostly use the key, but its just whatever is closer really.
I don't think the "closeness" will change... So you're forever with the key.

I do whichever I feel like.

Old October 26th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #114
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

I always use the killswitch to turn off my bike. How is using the key less work than using the killswitch, though?
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #115
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Depends. If I want the headlights to stay on for a few extra seconds or if I need to be ready to start the engine real quick, i'll use the kill switch. Otherwise the key.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #116
str8t six
never enough

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
I always use the killswitch to turn off my bike. How is using the key less work than using the killswitch, though?
because you flip the kill switch and then turn the key off. seems redundant to me.

not to mention wondering why my bike wont start because i forgot the kill switch is flipped

custom graphics, zero gravity DB
str8t six is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #117
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Yes
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #118
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

I always use the kill switch, force of habit.

Depending on your other habits prior to turning off your bike, using the kill switch could give you a small margin of safety advantage over using the key.

For example, if you park your bike in gear (or the neutral indicator is showing a false neutral), using the kill switch allows you to turn off the engine while keeping both hands on the bars in case you accidentally release the clutch (or the cable snaps).
Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #119
J_Bahhtu
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I use the killswitch every time. They technician recommended me to do so when I bought the bike brand new
J_Bahhtu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #120
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I only ever used it that one time I accidentally rode into a ditch.

Like Josh pointed out... it seems a bit redundant if you're just going to turn the key and then pull it out, any second later.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote