ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #81
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Sold gear from hobbies I no longer pursued, and somehow was able to get enough to cop my bike, gear, classes, insurance, registration, and earplugs.

Felt really good to turn things I didn't use anymore into a motorcycle

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #82
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARc View Post
Sold gear from hobbies I no longer pursued, and somehow was able to get enough to cop my bike, gear, classes, insurance, registration, and earplugs.

Good to see you got everything at once, rather than just getting a bike and saying "oh, I'm saving up for gear."
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #83
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sze5003 View Post
Believe it or not he was asking 2400 and I offered 2k because anything more than that I would be empty due to all the bills coming out weekly. He said 2k was good and he didn't really need the money because he bought the bike with a co worker. They split the price and they originally I think got it from a recently divorced lady for less than 3200. Not sure what they offered but I bet it was around 25-2600.

He said he would have to check with the coworker if that price was good, but to him it is so he basically said it is mine if I wanted it. He felt bad its sitting in the garage.
That would be a giant score

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #84
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARc View Post

im thinking of doing that for my next bike...ive got tons of crap all around my house that i dont use anymore or dont need. couple tablets, couple laptops, couple guitars, bunch of car parts, ect,ect...

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #85
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Good to see you got everything at once, rather than just getting a bike and saying "oh, I'm saving up for gear."
Absolutely!

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #86
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Believe it or not he was asking 2400 and I offered 2k because anything more than that I would be empty due to all the bills coming out weekly. He said 2k was good and he didn't really need the money because he bought the bike with a co worker. They split the price and they originally I think got it from a recently divorced lady for less than 3200. Not sure what they offered but I bet it was around 25-2600.

He said he would have to check with the coworker if that price was good, but to him it is so he basically said it is mine if I wanted it. He felt bad its sitting in the garage.
Did you get the bike yet?
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #87
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Name: Salim

Motorcycle(s): 2005 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
Did you get the bike yet?
Nope not yet. I messaged him about that battery. Also told him that I want to pick it up weekend of June 8th. I got all my gear ready. He hasn't got back to me on the battery.

I put in 2009 ninja 250 battery on Ebay and found some stuff but I do not know which is correct. If he hasn't had time to get it I may as well buy one on eBay and hope it works when I go over to get the bike.
sze5003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #88
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nope not yet. I messaged him about that battery. Also told him that I want to pick it up weekend of June 8th. I got all my gear ready. He hasn't got back to me on the battery.

I put in 2009 ninja 250 battery on Ebay and found some stuff but I do not know which is correct. If he hasn't had time to get it I may as well buy one on eBay and hope it works when I go over to get the bike.
Myself, i would just go get the battery and show up and say let's do this...but i like press and push stuff to make it go faster. I guess they would call me proactive.

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #89
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Yeh I could do that but my luck I get the wrong battery. I heard its a pain to get the battery out on the 09 ninjas, need to take out both fairings to get the driver seat out.

They are relatively cheap on Ebay but the dealer wants 80+ for it. I dunno with 1200 miles it may just need charged..and for that I don't know what I need to do either. Thing needs an inspection too. Now if this does not go through I don't want to go for a pre-gen :/

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #90
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeh I could do that but my luck I get the wrong battery. I heard its a pain to get the battery out on the 09 ninjas, need to take out both fairings to get the driver seat out.

They are relatively cheap on Ebay but the dealer wants 80+ for it. I dunno with 1200 miles it may just need charged..and for that I don't know what I need to do either. Thing needs an inspection too. Now if this does not go through I don't want to go for a pre-gen :/
i have an 08 and the battery was relatively easy to get out...but i do not know if the 08 and 09 are the same

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #91
RedOctober
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrei

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2008 Daytona 675

I got a divorce (well, not to get a bike but I got one right after).
Friend of mine just bought a 250...he cleaned the garage out like dad said, but mom was still against it. So he waited until they went to India for a month...he now has a bike in his garage and is patiently awaiting their return.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #92
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x only performance View Post
i have an 08 and the battery was relatively easy to get out...but i do not know if the 08 and 09 are the same
I don't think they would be very different. But then again I think the SE model just differs in tire color and overall bike colors.

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #93
Stingray1000

Quote:

Are you picking it up riding it or with a truck? I rode 3 hours one way this past weekend and it was HELL! lol if you dont have the skill I would jsut wait till you get it home, Like I said before I'm like 90% sure it jsut needs a good charge.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #94
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober View Post
I got a divorce (well, not to get a bike but I got one right after).
Friend of mine just bought a 250...he cleaned the garage out like dad said, but mom was still against it. So he waited until they went to India for a month...he now has a bike in his garage and is patiently awaiting their return.
he needs to act surpised when they return

"How did that get there?!"
"oh well better put it to good use"

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #95
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Are you picking it up riding it or with a truck? I rode 3 hours one way this past weekend and it was HELL! lol if you dont have the skill I would jsut wait till you get it home, Like I said before I'm like 90% sure it jsut needs a good charge.
Well good thing he is 25 minutes from me. Assuming I would be getting it lets say June 7th, after my first day of my MSF class, I could try and ride it home but I will just have a friend drive it back. Aside from a charge, it would die when giving it throttle and needed the choke on but that is probably because it had not been warmed up.

The roads from his hosue to mine are ridiculously bumpy and stupid considering they are suburbs of Philly.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #96
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
ok now im confused
Which part has you confused?

Duty=tax,
VAT = tax on total price (including other taxes )

Traitors/government = gave away natural resources worth billions to any company that could be bothered to extract them (Norwegian government's oil company Statoil & Shell both happily obliged)

They also used taxpayer's money to cover the losses of private banks who gambled on a housing bubble again losses in the billions, this time bankrupting the country, EU, IMF & ECB agreed to basically buy the country.

The puppet government now impose almost all laws they tell them to, one that they refused to implement was a subsection on motorbike licences which would allow for a harder test for people over 24 to get unrestricted bikes instead of a 7 year process of 3 different tests at different cc & power bands (4 years on <50 bhp)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #97
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Quote:

With a deal like that I'd run to a motorcycle shop, tell them I need a battery for a 09 ninja and go get the bike. He may be backing out, the longer you wait the more he's going to realize he can get another $1000 easy.

Oh and if you can't ride it, don't get hung up on that. It takes like $60 to rent a Uhaul trailer for a motorcycle. No excuse, I'd go get that bike.
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #98
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Yeh well he isn't waiting for me, I am waiting for him. He is a busy guy so he hasn't had time lately but he said he will try to get a battery this weekend.
I know him and he isn't the type of guy to tell me ok deal lets just get the thing started, and then say "Oh well never mind I'm not selling it to you." Besides he has told me its mine if I want.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #99
SharInATL
ninjette.org member

Name: Shar

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Black 250r (SOLD) Now - 2006 GSXR 750

Timing was just great for me. I'd just gotten my tax refund and refinanced my home so I got to skip a mortgage payment and that was enough to get my bike from a dude on Craigslist for $3400! I'd venture to say it was meant to be.
SharInATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #100
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
with the little amount of hours on the thing it should just need a jump. not too hard to do. maybe a DIY is order.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #101
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvninja View Post
With a deal like that I'd run to a motorcycle shop, tell them I need a battery for a 09 ninja and go get the bike. He may be backing out, the longer you wait the more he's going to realize he can get another $1000 easy.

Oh and if you can't ride it, don't get hung up on that. It takes like $60 to rent a Uhaul trailer for a motorcycle. No excuse, I'd go get that bike.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #102
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharInATL View Post
Timing was just great for me. I'd just gotten my tax refund and refinanced my home so I got to skip a mortgage payment and that was enough to get my bike from a dude on Craigslist for $3400! I'd venture to say it was meant to be.
Very nice! gotta love when you get a chance to skip a payment life seems great when it happens

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #103
sze5003
ninjette.org member

I'll get it eventually, not worried. I don't think he had even placed it for sale online, he said he didn't and wasn't going to, he was more concerned it was sitting there collecting dust. I'm probably going to order a battery off of Ebay this weekend.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #104
Stingray1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvninja View Post

Yea this is a friend/teacher of his. This guy isn't gonna back out unless the guys partner changes his mind...

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #105
lostdaemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Mar

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Quote:
with the little amount of hours on the thing it should just need a jump. not too hard to do. maybe a DIY is order.
Slightly OT, but my Max sat for almost a whole year, the battery was *near* dead and Max wouldn't start - pulled it out, put it on a battery tender for a week until my mechanic could pick the bike up and get him running again (there was more stuff wrong with him - NEVER trust someone who says he 'knows' bikes unless he can actively prove it, especially if you're dating him and he doesn't want you to ride...but that's another story!) That week on a tender got the original battery running again, didn't have to replace or anything. Mechanic checked everything over and got Max

So a DIY, even without a jump, could be totally feasible.
lostdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #106
sze5003
ninjette.org member

I wish I could skip a payment once in a while. I remember before I started paying back student loans, I was like holy crap I'm making a lot of money. Months later and 5 loan payments each month I feel like I should be on welfare.

The partner is a cool guy too I worked for both of them. I don't think he would mind me paying half one time and the rest later. I just wish this weather would be better.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #107
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Dad can I get a brand new ZX-10R with $6k in mods? Sure son. *loops bike*

Just glanced at the thread and I don't think ethanol affects my gas mileage. I got 42 on a tank of ethanol free stuff back in the winter which is what I average on winter mixture, now on the summer stuff with ethanol in it I'm getting 55
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #108
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

I've always enjoyed a "pure" driving experience, by which I mean the driver, the car, the road, and not a bunch of automation taking over and doing the driving for you. Growing up in CA and being a Prisoner fan (see handle, avatar pic) I wanted a Caterham 7. Now I live in MI.

2010: Realized that a) in Michigan, a Caterham 7 is about as useful as a motorcycle; b) production cars are saddled with regulations up the wazoo and car companies CAN'T make a pure driving machine; and c) Caterhams have now become rich boys' toys rather than an everyman's kit sportscar.

I had no prior riding experience. So, I started by taking the MSF. To take the MSF, I needed gear. So, gear first Since I passed that with no problems, I started out on the WAF (wife approval factor) looking for scooters because gas is expensive, my commute was 50 miles a day plus trips to karate etc., and I work in a downtown area so parking is $50 (far away) to $100+/month.

After very poor treatment by the Aprilia dealer, we found a great place that had Hondas and landed a Honda Elite 110. This is not quite the 'pure' driving experience since it's a CVT drive, not manual shift, but two wheels gets rid of all the air bags, CD/DVD, A/C, cruise control, ABS, traction control, and other fluff that passes for driving.

The intent (slash evil plan) is that she'll learn to ride also, after which I'll "need" a second bike so we can ride together.

Three things happened to screw this plan up:
1. We're doing a lot of grandparenting stuff with my step-kid's kid. The couples' riding trip thing doesn't quite work well with a toddler; can't just bungie-cord them to the pillion

2. This is the great part: Last year, I entered Kawi's "Good Times" sweepstakes and after jumping through lots of hoops, like quite a few people here, I won a brand new GREEN 2012 Ninjette (aka Zorak). So I guess the answer to the original question is: I filled in an online form, drove to the dealership, entered some followup online stuff, filled in subsequent notarized forms in time, and paid about $1k in taxes.

3. This is the not-so-great part: Six weeks ago, as described in http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101679, my scoot was obliterated by an idiot driver (aka mule). Good job to Progressive for handling of total-loss coverage claims, though.

I do miss the cargo capacity of the Elite (32liters) which I haven't replaced with tail or other bags for the Ninjette yet. Also, even deducting two new tires for the scoot (nails), insurance, and other costs, I'd saved almost the price of the scoot in gas and parking while I owned it not to mention the convenience of parking in the bike rack behind my work.
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #109
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'll get it eventually, not worried. I don't think he had even placed it for sale online, he said he didn't and wasn't going to, he was more concerned it was sitting there collecting dust. I'm probably going to order a battery off of Ebay this weekend.
if it sit to long youll want to clean up those carbs

Old May 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #110
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
I've always enjoyed a "pure" driving experience, by which I mean the driver, the car, the road, and not a bunch of automation taking over and doing the driving for you. Growing up in CA and being a Prisoner fan (see handle, avatar pic) I wanted a Caterham 7. Now I live in MI.

2010: Realized that a) in Michigan, a Caterham 7 is about as useful as a motorcycle; b) production cars are saddled with regulations up the wazoo and car companies CAN'T make a pure driving machine; and c) Caterhams have now become rich boys' toys rather than an everyman's kit sportscar.

I had no prior riding experience. So, I started by taking the MSF. To take the MSF, I needed gear. So, gear first Since I passed that with no problems, I started out on the WAF (wife approval factor) looking for scooters because gas is expensive, my commute was 50 miles a day plus trips to karate etc., and I work in a downtown area so parking is $50 (far away) to $100+/month.

After very poor treatment by the Aprilia dealer, we found a great place that had Hondas and landed a Honda Elite 110. This is not quite the 'pure' driving experience since it's a CVT drive, not manual shift, but two wheels gets rid of all the air bags, CD/DVD, A/C, cruise control, ABS, traction control, and other fluff that passes for driving.

The intent (slash evil plan) is that she'll learn to ride also, after which I'll "need" a second bike so we can ride together.

Three things happened to screw this plan up:
1. We're doing a lot of grandparenting stuff with my step-kid's kid. The couples' riding trip thing doesn't quite work well with a toddler; can't just bungie-cord them to the pillion

2. This is the great part: Last year, I entered Kawi's "Good Times" sweepstakes and after jumping through lots of hoops, like quite a few people here, I won a brand new GREEN 2012 Ninjette (aka Zorak). So I guess the answer to the original question is: I filled in an online form, drove to the dealership, entered some followup online stuff, filled in subsequent notarized forms in time, and paid about $1k in taxes.

3. This is the not-so-great part: Six weeks ago, as described in http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101679, my scoot was obliterated by an idiot driver (aka mule). Good job to Progressive for handling of total-loss coverage claims, though.

I do miss the cargo capacity of the Elite (32liters) which I haven't replaced with tail or other bags for the Ninjette yet. Also, even deducting two new tires for the scoot (nails), insurance, and other costs, I'd saved almost the price of the scoot in gas and parking while I owned it not to mention the convenience of parking in the bike rack behind my work.
LUCKY!!!! i wanna win a bike! too bad about the driver messing it up though. i have 5 and 6 year old. both boys. they are constantly asking to ride with me but i dont feel safe with tandem yet.

Old May 24th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #111
sze5003
ninjette.org member

Yeh carbs may need cleaned. I will have to take it to get that done. But I was amazed how much of a good condition the bike was in minus the scratch on the fairing, left side.

I've never won anything in my life, must of been such a surprise to win something like a bike! I'm always skeptical about applying for those things to win something. I hope you enjoyed it

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #112
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Dad can I get a brand new ZX-10R with $6k in mods? Sure son. *loops bike*

Just glanced at the thread and I don't think ethanol affects my gas mileage. I got 42 on a tank of ethanol free stuff back in the winter which is what I average on winter mixture, now on the summer stuff with ethanol in it I'm getting 55
It's not the gas mileage, it's the fact that ethanol is actually more harmful to engines. Not to mention the other effects that the use ethanol has, i.e. increase in food prices (everything), increase in world starvation (particularly Africa), etc.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #113
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
It's not the gas mileage, it's the fact that ethanol is actually more harmful to engines. Not to mention the other effects that the use ethanol has, i.e. increase in food prices (everything), increase in world starvation (particularly Africa), etc.
This is true. The ethanol in gasoline causes Ducati gas tanks to expand...

Government needs to stop subsidizing and let capitalism do its work. Or maybe people in the Fed need to read Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt

Old May 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #114
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Yes, but switchgrass is not being used as the primary resource for making ethanol, corn is (95% of ethanol comes from corn, in the U.S.).
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #115
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #116
sze5003
ninjette.org member

I really don't think I would have known what bike to look for until it was from the help of most of you guys here. This place is awesome, and its funny to see that people close to you are always up for a ride or anything to offer in terms of help.

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #117
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
is that the red 250 on his profile?
Yes, only thing I've added to it are Speigler SS brake lines.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #118
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
Yes, only thing I've added to it are Speigler SS brake lines.
looks beautiful. congrats

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #119
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Good thread!

My story: always, always wanted a bike but never told anyone, didn't know anyone who rides, never sat on one.. The Bigger Half got injured, was in a wheelchair for a while, major neck surgery and I decided, "What the hell am I waiting for???!!"
Bought bike.

BTW Bigger Half is getting a bike this year...awesome surgeon!!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #120
x only performance
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Good thread!

My story: always, always wanted a bike but never told anyone, didn't know anyone who rides, never sat on one.. The Bigger Half got injured, was in a wheelchair for a while, major neck surgery and I decided, "What the hell am I waiting for???!!"
Bought bike.

BTW Bigger Half is getting a bike this year...awesome surgeon!!
that was a big leap for me too. i knew no one with a bike and was very timid about talking to a random person with a bike