Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #81
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols79us View Post
I REALLY like the look of the Versys too! Thought for sure that would be my next bike until I sat on it and WOW...... 33.1" seat height on the Versys vs. 29.7" on the ER-6N..... I have the shortest freeking Mr. Frodo, Hobbit A@#, inseam of anyone ever!! So, the 1" + makes a difference for me. Don't want to feel like I am riding a KLR when I am on a Sportier Steed...
I'm sure there is an easy mod to drop the seat height a little.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #82
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2003 YZF600R, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Here are my 600's...no supersports juts 600's with a usable powerband

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #83
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Those YZF600's are super comfortable. I wanted the one at the dealer. Selling for a decent price. But the dual sports are sooo tempting...

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #84
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

I'd love one but can't see spending the kind of money they want for a brand new one. I kinda like having two YZF's in the stable. The blue one is getting lowered and inch front and back for her though.

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #85
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_bullet View Post
Here are my 600's...no supersports juts 600's with a usable powerband

Are there 600's with non-usable power bands?

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #86
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Have you ridden the supersports? No the most practical powerband for the commuter. Besides, the Thundercat makes more HP and torque up to 10,500 rpm's than an R6. I still ride by those big black and white signs on the side of the road and they don't change if you're on a scooter, 250 or zx-14. I love the ergonomics of my Thundercat and she fell in love with it too. I'd rather she picked a Cat than a R6

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #87
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Have you ridden the supersports? No the most practical powerband for the commuter. Besides, the Thundercat makes more HP and torque up to 10,500 rpm's than an R6. I still ride by those big black and white signs on the side of the road and they don't change if you're on a scooter, 250 or zx-14. I love the ergonomics of my Thundercat and she fell in love with it too. I'd rather she picked a Cat than a R6
Other than the little ninja I haven't been on a bike as small as an R6 in some time. I have, however, been riding liter bikes for the last 17 years and I find their power bands quite practical and useful... maybe even fun

Old March 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #88
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

I'd love an R1 someday but the practicality and insurance price of it for me right now suck. I've found the powerband to be defferent on my friends R1vs another friends R6. The torque feels a lot more smooth on the 1000cc than the 600's. The closest comparison that I can think of is a Honda's VTEC. nothing, nothing nothing, POWER

Old March 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #89
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

I'd absolutely kill for a Thunderace if I could find a good one. I'd suck up the insurance for one of those.

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #90
Manimal
ninjette.org member

Name: Daren

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE

I love my lil Ninja. Totally practical for the riding I do, twisty backroads. I have no need or lust for anything bigger. On the other hand, being vertically challenged, there aren't too many choices for me anyways If anything else, I'd probably go for a thumper (DRZ).
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #91
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
The closest comparison that I can think of is a Honda's VTEC. nothing, nothing nothing, POWER
I always thought the VTEC, it was nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, ohh...there is something, a little more something, nothing.

Old March 6th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #92
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

I figured I'd be nice since I make my money from American Honda Motors

Old March 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #93
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

I mainly sold my 250 because my knees would cramp up pretty badly after 100-150km's of riding. Bike was physically too small for me.
I'm not super tall or anything, but tall enough. Combined with my bad knees, it just doesn't work out.
It's low power didn't help much when it came time to decide either, to be honest.

Ended up upgrading to a DR650 dual sport, which I was much happier with in every single regard except for fuel mileage (comfort... power... handling... highway capability and just pure fun).

Now I have a 600 and I find the power to be useless. Not just because 100+ hp is useless on the street..... but more because of where that power is.
By the time the power kicks in fully in first gear, 10,000 rpm, you are already breaking the speed limit on any road that you would find here.

I'll probably be selling the 600 to go back to a dual sport soon.
Really wish I had enough room for two full sized bikes.... only reason I have room for my Honda is because it's so small.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #94
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Mista Bob: A guy at my father-in-laws oil shop talked to me today about getting a GSXR600. I told him not to. He asked why, and I gave him the same reason you just did. The fact that you have to rev it to the sky to get any power out of it.

I told him if he wanted a sporty ride that has usable power, look to rides like z1000, FZ1, Ninja 650, etc (even though the 1000's tend to be overkill).

He then mentioned that he wanted to ride all over the place, doing lots of traveling. I told him to 100% stay away from sportbikes. I even mentioned a KLR650 for him. I reminded him on long trips you carry a lot of gear, so the sportbike would be weighted down anyway. Need something with more utility. He agreed. He said he would think about it more and consider what I told him.

The more I think about it the less I want a supersport for my next ride. Where I live around Texas, there are no curves. If I ride to get to them, then it will be a 2hr ride, and that is too far. I'm better off with a dualsport, a sport-tourer, or something like that. I am going to save up some cash and try to talk my wife into my getting a 2nd bike. That will be fun conversation!!!

Old March 6th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #95
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I'm sure there is an easy mod to drop the seat height a little.
There are mods to drop the ride height, but USUALLY in turn for some sort of handling issue, IMO....

I have ridden a couple KLR and DR 650's that had lowering links. I know they are a different type of bike, but even with the seat height at a more respectable level for me, they were like trying to lean a Truck into a turn. Really hard to use. This might be all in my head to, but I would rather buy something more manageable for me height wise from the get go...
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #96
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Makes sense!

Old March 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #97
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Quote:
There are mods to drop the ride height, but USUALLY in turn for some sort of handling issue, IMO....

I have ridden a couple KLR and DR 650's that had lowering links. I know they are a different type of bike, but even with the seat height at a more respectable level for me, they were like trying to lean a Truck into a turn. Really hard to use. This might be all in my head to, but I would rather buy something more manageable for me height wise from the get go...
It's all in your head.

A dual sport will turn in much easier than any sport bike ever will.
And the nice and wide handle bars + the sitting position lets you easily control the bike in any situation.
They are just all around extremely agile bikes.

Old March 6th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #98
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Quote:
I always thought the VTEC, it was nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, ohh...there is something, a little more something, nothing.

Depends on which Honda you are talking about. The newer Hondas/Acuras with the iVTEC is like you said... you can't feel much.

Back to motorcycles... I wish Honda would revive the 250RR.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #99
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
It's all in your head.

A dual sport will turn in much easier than any sport bike ever will.
And the nice and wide handle bars + the sitting position lets you easily control the bike in any situation.
They are just all around extremely agile bikes.
I agree! BUT, throw some lowering links on a KLR 650 and compare it with a stock height... Which one is easier to turn?

Old March 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #100
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
He then mentioned that he wanted to ride all over the place, doing lots of traveling. I told him to 100% stay away from sportbikes. I even mentioned a KLR650 for him. I reminded him on long trips you carry a lot of gear, so the sportbike would be weighted down anyway. Need something with more utility. He agreed. He said he would think about it more and consider what I told him.
Actually certain sportbikes make fantastic sport tourers. The yzf thundercats/thunderaces as mentioned a few posts above are great at it, as are the fireblades (929/954 bikes in particular). Apparently the sportbike riding position is more comfortable for the...err..."fatter" rider because it takes the weight off of the lower back....and allows them to straddle their gut.

Luggage room is always going to be a premium on a sportbike, but the same is true for any bike short of a Goldwing.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #101
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

lol true about the luggage.

Too bad they don't make those bikes anymore...

The reason why I directed him towards more non SS bikes is because he was talking the GSXR600 and R6. He is about 5'10" and maybe weighs in at 150. He also wasn't pricing insurance either. Told him to do that as well so he gets a better overall picture.

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #102
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Quote:
I agree! BUT, throw some lowering links on a KLR 650 and compare it with a stock height... Which one is easier to turn?
Shouldn't affect it too much so long as it was lowered within the manufacturers recommended specs in regards to lowering.
Not sure on the KLR 650, but with the DR650 the lowering was done via a lowering link along with lowering the front end by moving up the forks.
I'm almost 6'2 so I of course didn't lower mine.
so I don't actually have any experience with lowering links.

If only the rear was lowered (or lowered further then recommended) it could negatively affect the handling.
As I believe it would change up the steering angle on the front end. Increasing the rake, resulting in worse turn in.

Another thing that would add to it I'd imagine is, the higher up perspective you have due to the higher seat height and upright sitting position.
Which can take a lot of getting used to in the corners.
I know it took me a week or two to get back up to speed fully on the DR650 after coming off of the 250.

Old March 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #103
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
Shouldn't affect it too much so long as it was lowered within the manufacturers recommended specs in regards to lowering.
Not sure on the KLR 650, but with the DR650 the lowering was done via a lowering link along with lowering the front end by moving up the forks.
I'm almost 6'2 so I of course didn't lower mine.
so I don't actually have any experience with lowering links.

If only the rear was lowered (or lowered further then recommended) it could negatively affect the handling.
As I believe it would change up the steering angle on the front end. Increasing the rake, resulting in worse turn in.

Another thing that would add to it I'd imagine is, the higher up perspective you have due to the higher seat height and upright sitting position.
Which can take a lot of getting used to in the corners.
I know it took me a week or two to get back up to speed fully on the DR650 after coming off of the 250.
You know, I'll bet that is what my experience has been. The couple that I have ridden with the lowering links in the rear had not been lowered at the fork. Good Point!!! Makes more sense.

Old March 7th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #104
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Quote:
lol true about the luggage.

Too bad they don't make those bikes anymore...

The reason why I directed him towards more non SS bikes is because he was talking the GSXR600 and R6. He is about 5'10" and maybe weighs in at 150. He also wasn't pricing insurance either. Told him to do that as well so he gets a better overall picture.
It really is. The new(last year) Yamaha FZ6R is a great bike though. Extremely comfortable. There are many more but I'm a Yamaha guy sooooo

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #105
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Wow that dood's skinny LOL. He'd definitely fit better on a fizzer or something. Those shiney racing plastics are quite tempting, though, but a lot of the newer offerings are very attractive. I saw a brand new FZ6R at Taco Bell with dual scorpion cans on it. Very sweet!

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #106
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Test rode an '09 Versys Saturday. Don't know why I tempt myself. I don't know if I will be able to wait until next year, or even until the summer. Working on some numbers now, and checking with another dealer.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #107
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Wow that dood's skinny LOL. He'd definitely fit better on a fizzer or something. Those shiney racing plastics are quite tempting, though, but a lot of the newer offerings are very attractive. I saw a brand new FZ6R at Taco Bell with dual scorpion cans on it. Very sweet!
Oh man, now I am hungry for a gordita. Sat on a couple FZ6R, definitely lower spec than an R6 or even FZ6 from past years, but supposedly a very good bike, comfortable, and great rework of motor for everyday use.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #108
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Test rode an '09 Versys Saturday. Don't know why I tempt myself. I don't know if I will be able to wait until next year, or even until the summer. Working on some numbers now, and checking with another dealer.
Nevermind. I'll be waiting until the summer at least.

I just got off the phone with my insurance agent. I pay $380 a year for full coverage on my ninjette. A Versys with the same coverage would be $990!!!! When I turn 25 in July it will go down to $280 for the Versys.

Hopefully there will still be some left over '09s then.

Old March 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #109
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Nevermind. I'll be waiting until the summer at least.

I just got off the phone with my insurance agent. I pay $380 a year for full coverage on my ninjette. A Versys with the same coverage would be $990!!!! When I turn 25 in July it will go down to $280 for the Versys.

Hopefully there will still be some left over '09s then.
LOL I wish i was getting $990/year.

Old March 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #110
backinthesaddleagain

Wow I am surprised at jump from 250R to versys. Now I am older (45) but pay $330 for full coverage with $1K deductible. A new ZX6R brings me to $900, a versys only raises a couple hundred.

Old March 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #111
camaroz1985

For the price difference I will wait 4 months.

Old March 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #112
backinthesaddleagain

I hear that as I think they only adjust the policy once per year (at its renewal). Just like I had a ticket come off in september, but rate didn't reduce until october (renewal).

Old March 8th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #113
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

This whole insurance scam is a mystery to me. For the Ninjette the premium is $285 a year. If I went to a Honda NT700 Deauville, it would be $190. This is with a 50 year totally clean record for both cage and bike. Makes no sense to me. I guess in insurance parlance, Ninja means wanton speed crazed misfit. Who knows? At my age, I am not going to fight them for a "few" dollars--life is too short, and I plan to enjoy what I have left.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #114
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

Unforunatly insurance cost is often dictated by arbitrary distictions. Our little ninjette is a "sportbike" so actuarily it commands a higher insurance premium where the NT700 as a "sport touring" bike is less risky according to the magical actuarial data. This data is the result of aggregated data over time. So really, if you want to blame anyone for the high cost of sport bike insurance, you can blame all the squids who have come before that wadded their bikes more fruequently than their non-sportbike riding peers.

I hear ya though about doin' what you gotta do though. Heck I have our two scooters insured, not so much to cover the hardware but the liability should someone get hurt or property damaged.
Posted via Mobile Device
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #115
backinthesaddleagain

How about I can get an FZ1 and insurance goes from $330 (ninjette) to $600. FZ1 is a literbike, with engine from previous gen R1, and a half fairing. However crash experience is low. Price out R1 from 2 years ago, power is relatively the same as FZ1 and its $1,300.

Old March 9th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #116
lunerkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I already have near 2k miles and I know I am still learning.

I think the one thing I like about a bigger bike is not having to shift through all the gears.
Love the bike going through corners and really hope that when I do get to buying a bigger bike that I can still keep my ninja.

Though I think I may sell my ninja in a heart beat when this one comes out .

Yamahaette.org anyone ??

lunerkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #117
Davidb1986
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r SE green with Monster energy decals!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunerkid View Post
I already have near 2k miles and I know I am still learning.

I think the one thing I like about a bigger bike is not having to shift through all the gears.
Love the bike going through corners and really hope that when I do get to buying a bigger bike that I can still keep my ninja.

Though I think I may sell my ninja in a heart beat when this one comes out .

Yamahaette.org anyone ??

I wish this was out when I was looking for a bike. Is it coming out in the US?
Davidb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #118
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

I was looking at those when it was time for the gf to get a bike, but in the end after importing it would have been about the same as the ninjette. I'd love to get one though! I don't think it'll come to the U.S since we're all size queens here.

Old March 11th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #119
camaroz1985

Found a differnt insurance company. $100K/300K, $250 deductible, full coverage on the ninjette is $185/yr, on the Versys is $391/yr. I'm going to the dealer tonight. If I can't get the price I want, I'll just wait. Its nice having a bike already and not "needing" one. Don't get me wrong I really want it, but I will make sure I get the deal I want.

This time next week I could be riding a Versys!! Don't worry I'm not leaving though (not that any of you were )

Old March 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #120
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

After wading through over a years worth of posted opinions and false hoods, I'm going ring in with my feelings here. I personally feel that 1000cc sport bikes are over kill. 90MPH in first gear? That's idiotic. 600 isn't really a happy medium, as they're fast too, albeit it slightly more sane. Here's what I think of some of the previous comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel-be-Good View Post
[list=1][*]I don't really want to spend $9k and pay the significant extra for insurance on my meager one year of experiece.
Did you even research insurance quotes while considering new bikes? I switched insurance companies and pay LESS with MORE COVERAGE for my newer 2006 CBR600RR ($180/year) than I did for my 1995 Ninjette ($220/year). I am a 27 year old male, licensed for 11 years ("3" years on a motorcycle) with a perfect driving record: No moving violations, no accidents, felonies, arrests, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
My main concern with moving up from a 250 is safety..
Talk to Becky from Custom Seat Creations about the accident she had on her Ninjette.

As far as being "prone to accidents," you honestly probably shouldn't even be on a motorcycle in the first place. A common saying amongst my friends is that your "idiot check" is connected to the bottom of your right wrist.

Quote:
Mista Bob: A guy at my father-in-laws oil shop talked to me today about getting a GSXR600. I told him not to. He asked why, and I gave him the same reason you just did. The fact that you have to rev it to the sky to get any power out of it.
This made me laugh. If you have to rev a 600cc bike to the sky to get any power out of it, then by your standards the Ninjette is just a glorified moped, that couldn't rev its way out of a wet paper bag. As that thing makes no power untill about 9k, and tops out at a WHOPPING 29 WHP at what 15K RPM? A stock CBR puts out ~30 WHP at about 3400 RPM, and peaks at about 100HP @ a little over 13K RPM. With exhaust, air filter, velocity stacks, PCIII you can get into the upper 110s easy. A dyno run with custom fuel mapping will put you over 120HP at 13.6k RPM. This is all from a machine that weighs less than 100 pounds more than an EX250, yet puts out 4x the horsepower. "Rev it to the sky to get any power out of it." You're clueless.

But this is beside the point. Like typical testosterone driven meat heads, all you guys talk about is SPEED and POWER. There was one mention about "canyon carving" and while the Ninjette was a hoot to carve with, I feel much more comfortable leaning my CBR over in turns than I did towards the end of my career on my Ninjette. I'd attribute it to the reduced rake on the CBR, and of course better tires, but this thing feels like its on an absolute RAIL, and I still have a ****** Dunlop endurance tire on the rear. Turning IS different. It feels like you're making a commitment rather than just a simple change of direction, but once you get used to that, you're golden.

But let's get back to the speed and power nonsense. That's barely the half of it. Let's start with the brake systems on sport bikes. Dual 4 piston calipers up front clamping down on dual 3**mm rotors (versus the dual piston single calipers on the ninjettes). It's like dropping a smooth controlled anchor, even under aggressive braking. Brakes were a HUGE reason I wanted to step up. Suspension was an other reason. My Ninjette came with the EX500 rear shock on it, but I did have the disfortune of riding an EX250 with the stock suspension. It felt like an overly plush worn out cadillac. It was horrible. When dialed in correctly, the suspension on sport bikes bikes is nothing short of astounding, which will be reflected in the handling. Is a 600 fast? Yes. But so are Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs and a lot of other cars that a lot of people on this forum probably have in their garage.

While cliche and corny, I find the line from the Spider-Man movie appropriate here: With great power comes great responsibility. To me it all comes down to your idiot check connected to the bottom of your right wrist.
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote