ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Old September 16th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1281
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Regarding the Ninja 300R, I think the price tag is going to drive a lot of new riders to the CBR 250. In the UK, new riders are apparently limited to 250cc so Kawasaki clearly shot off their own foot with that one. Its possible that they will reintroduce the 250 to US and UK markets next year.
No that's never been the case, it's 125cc & 11bhp until you've done your test, then (depending on how old you are & which test you do) it's either unrestricted cc & bhp (if you're Over 21 & did the Direct Access scheme on a 500cc+ bike) or 2 years on 33bhp (unlimited cc, I've seen a restricted ZZR 1400) if you're under 21 or if you decided against the DA course.

Now it's changing to a 3 tiered system, ages are increasing & so are hp limits, but there is a new restriction coming in, no bike can be taken below half it's stated power & the middle level test is to be done on a 400 (Which I predicted would be announced this year alongside the 250)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1282
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Not a clue you'd have to put each in a wind tunnel and test a bit.

The new bike might be more slicked back, but the pregen is pretty narrow, so it has a relatively small profile. Now how that applies to how much drag each bike is fighting at a given speed? Idk. Anything we have is just going to be guestimation.
The main variables are the Coefficient of Drag (Cd) and frontal area. I couldn't find the actual Cd so I used the Cd for the average sport bike. To get the actual Cd, you pretty much have to use a wind tunnel. For some reason, Kawasaki hasn't published these numbers that I could find. The lower the Cd, the lower the overall wind resistance.

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #1283
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

yeah someone buy the 300, crash it (safely) and sell me the engine block for a good price please

ill just have to figure out how to smuggle the bugger into the country, ha ha

Old September 17th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #1284
Pyro
ninjette.org member

Name: Werner

Motorcycle(s): EX-250K

Would love to know what we're getting in South Africa.

Here we had the 250 FI already. Already confirmed we're not getting the 400.
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #1285
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
The main variables are the Coefficient of Drag (Cd) and frontal area. I couldn't find the actual Cd so I used the Cd for the average sport bike. To get the actual Cd, you pretty much have to use a wind tunnel. For some reason, Kawasaki hasn't published these numbers that I could find. The lower the Cd, the lower the overall wind resistance.
True as far as it goes, but I'd humbly suggest that the biggest variable is the rider. Sit up and there's drastically more drag than when tucked. Loose, flapping clothes generate a lot of drag. Big people present much more frontal area than small people. Etc.

I have a moderate amount of experience with aerodynamics via human-powered vehicles. Wind resistance is partly Cd, but there's more to it. Focus on what's causing the drag, not the Cd number.

Near the surface of the body, there's region of flow called the "boundary layer." If it stays evenly attached to the body, then drag is low. If it separates, eddies (vortices) form and drag skyrockets. This is what happens when an airplane wing stalls.

There are two ways to keep the boundary layer attached. One is to go for laminar flow -- very, very smooth surfaces almost parallel to the flow direction. That means no seams cross-wise to the flow (even a decal can trip the layer), glass-smooth surfaces, no sharp lines or transitions. A polished egg, basically. Laminar flow is very low-drag but very delicate and easy to destroy.

The other way is to energize the layer (make it turbulent) but keep it attached. Again, no abrupt transitions, steep angles or gaps... but you create turbulence with dimples (think golf ball), vortex generators, etc. Much less sensitive than laminar flow but not as low-drag.

Once the boundary layer flow detaches from the surface of the bodywork, you might as well just have a trash can covering the frame of your bike. How it looks is unimportant if the air flowing over it is detached. The surface is effectively "invisible" to the airflow.

On a factory bike, there are so many creases, gaps, seams, ledges, edges, fasteners etc. that there's no way the boundary layer is going to stay attached past, say, the headlight and windscreen.

Fact of the matter is that as sexy as the bodywork may be, a motorcycle is pretty lousy aerodynamically. Any Cd differences between pregen, newgen and next-gen bodywork are most likely trivial in their net effect, especially when you put a rider on board.

Next time you see a squid with his T-shirt riding up his back, think about the energy that's making it happen. Where's it coming from? Answer: It's coming from vortices created by the passage of the bike through the air. Totally detached flow. They suck huge amounts of energy... and no amount of good-looking bodywork at the front or sides of the machine is going to make them go away.

To make a real difference aerodynamically, the whole thing has to be more enclosed, with a tail, top, doors...
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #1286
n4mwd

Sounds like a good argument to pass a law requiring all female riders wear tight fitting leathers in order to save fuel.

Anyhow, regarding dimples, didn't they prove on Mythbusters that a car with a dimpled skin is more aerodynamic than smooth skin? It was something to do with why they put dimples in golf balls.

The argument for requiring female riders to wear aerodynamic leathers is starting to look bad.

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #1287
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
They should be wearing aerodynamic leathers, with holes
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1288
n4mwd

Ok, the dimple argument is looking better.

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #1289
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Sounds like a good argument to pass a law requiring all female riders wear tight fitting leathers in order to save fuel.

Anyhow, regarding dimples, didn't they prove on Mythbusters that a car with a dimpled skin is more aerodynamic than smooth skin? It was something to do with why they put dimples in golf balls.

The argument for requiring female riders to wear aerodynamic leathers is starting to look bad.
Girls with dimples are cute. And aerodynamic.

I love Mythbusters. Their methodology was sound but they would have gotten better results with smaller dimples. The boundary layer isn't that thick. Also, you don't need to bother past a certain point on the body... the flow will separate anyway. But they don't have the resources or time to go into that much detail.

Cool story about laminar flow... possibly apocryphal. When building an airplane, you can use flush rivets (smooth surface) or conventional, round-headed rivets. The latter take less work (so faster to build the plane) and cost less but cause drag. In WWII Supermarine wanted to figure out how many flush rivets they actually needed on the Spitfire, so they built a plane that was entirely flush riveted and glued thousands of dried split peas over the surface to simulate round head rivets. They then did a series of test flights, removing more and more peas starting at the wing leading edges, until they got no further improvement in handling or performance. Very clever.

Old September 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #1290
thomason2wheels
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): dl650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceezy View Post
If it comes with a hot chick, I'm sold.
That particular hot chick gets my vote

Old September 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1291
thomason2wheels
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): dl650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
They should be wearing aerodynamic leathers, with holes
Women are already equipped with two aerodynamic devices an ex coworker labelled as "windsplitters" that men just dont have.

Old September 17th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #1292
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Can also be used as emergency airbags
AFM #676

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1293
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/reviews/...inja-300-32492

First Aussie test, The new 300 has caught up to the Honda but not as impressive as first thought. Dammit I really wanted it to be miles better.

I only ride my cbr on the track and yes it suffers on the straight bits (like any small bike) but it really makes ground where it matters.

Got some thinking to do before changing over.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #1294
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Caught up to the honda? That was a bad joke
AFM #676

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1295
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
http://www.bikesales.com.au/reviews/...inja-300-32492

First Aussie test, The new 300 has caught up to the Honda but not as impressive as first thought. Dammit I really wanted it to be miles better.

I only ride my cbr on the track and yes it suffers on the straight bits (like any small bike) but it really makes ground where it matters.

Got some thinking to do before changing over.
Seemed like they didnt want to knock the Honda to much. Either way Honda and Kawi will make bank on these bikes.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1296
Aufitt
The A Team

Quote:
Caught up to the honda? That was a bad joke
Honda has outsold the Ninja bigtime in Oz.
They are the same price since the introduction of the cbr early last year.

And no Ninja has ever passed me on the track days , so no joke there either.
I am looking to swap to a 300 (now that 250 production racing in my state looks like it wont happen) because I just like riding small bikes, and prefer to just go for my monthly blast in a safe environment.

If its going to be a whole lot quicker which makes it nicer for the ever closing and widening gap between the big bikes at different parts of the circuit (which becomes dangerous for all) then I'm there.. the New 300 is only $200 more than the dinosoar it replaces.

Old September 17th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #1297
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I'll bet that if you rode a ninja 250 no ninja would pass you either. A superior bike won't make up for a riders lack of skill. Put two racers of equivalent skill on the cbr and ninja and the ninja will win, it's a superior bike.
AFM #676

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #1298
Aufitt
The A Team

Quote:
I'll bet that if you rode a ninja 250 no cbr would pass you down the straight either. A superior bike won't make up for a riders lack of skill. Put two racers of equivalent skill on the cbr and ninja and the ninja will win on the boring bits on a long straight, it's a superior bike over 90mph.
FIXED that for you

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #1299
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
AFM #676

Old September 18th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #1300
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

^^ lolz~

Old September 18th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #1301
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

The ninja is definitely the better bike even with the old gen.

Thats not saying the cbr is bad.
The ninja is just that good

Old September 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #1302
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Girls with dimples are cute. And aerodynamic.

I love Mythbusters. Their methodology was sound but they would have gotten better results with smaller dimples. The boundary layer isn't that thick. Also, you don't need to bother past a certain point on the body... the flow will separate anyway. But they don't have the resources or time to go into that much detail.
Dimples work for golf balls and other blunt shapes. They don't work for airfoils (as dimples decrease drag due to separation, at the price of increased skin friction drag)

So, dimples will work with some girls and not the others: if they're teardrop-shaped or slender, skin friction is good... if they're ball-shaped, separation is likely
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #1303
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
So, dimples will work with some girls and not the others: if they're teardrop-shaped or slender, skin friction is good... if they're ball-shaped, separation is likely
So ok, hot biker chicks should wear tight leathers with holes in them and fat
chicks should go without dimples.
Posted via Mobile Device
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1304
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

n4wmd, how did we go from talking about the new 300 to you thinking about girls in leather?
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1305
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
n4wmd, how did we go from talking about the new 300 to you thinking about girls in leather?
It was always about the girls in leather... The 300 was just an excuse :P

Old September 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1306
n4mwd

The 300 is for the fatter chicks. The hot chicks can still fit on a 250.

The odds are that the 300 is more aerodynamic than the newgen and newgen more aerodynamic than the pregen. That's simply saying that a better Cd is one of the things that evolves in sport bikes.

Putting a hot chick on it with tight one piece leathers and dimples just makes it go that much faster. I signed up with T-mobile too.

Old September 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1307
adouglas
Cat herder

Yep, I've been thinking about girls in leather ever since I started thinking about girls.

Starting with this one.

Old September 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #1308
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I'd think the pregen would be the most aerodynamic considering it is the smallest
AFM #676

Old September 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1309
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Personally I prefer them like this....

GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #1310
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Personally I prefer them like this....

i'm not opposed to vinyl

Old September 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1311
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

Anyone think, or know if any of the 08-12 stuff will fit on the 13? Like lighting stuff (tail light, turn signals)?
Kstorm21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #1312
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Fred View Post
Quote:
Quote:
So this guy has inside sources saying it will be a 300cc bike and n4mwd has sources telling him next year the bike will be fuel injected. So basically next years 250 is going to have an MSRP of $5,999
May as well, if Yamaha and Honda are going to duke it out in $4,500-$5,000 territory: yeah. Why settle for a portion of that market when they can offer a larger bike with a larger price that largely appeals to the same buyers and may attract more? I'd estimate $5,399 base with a $500 ABS option and an additional mark up for special edition or sporty accessories (optional solo seat cowl, steering damper, adjustable suspension, etc). They'd probably hold out on the SE treatment until the second year of the new model.
Steering damper on a 250/300? Would that really be necessary? I don't think they'll add so many options to the ninjette, paying that much would defeat its most common utility: being a starter bike. It has to be simple, teach the basics effectively and safely. Spending 6k on a 300CC with ABS and steering damper would be pretty much pointless if your goal is to learn and progress to a more powerful bike eventually
It's a $900 hike for fuel injection and a 20% larger engine. Everyone estimates $500 for FI so $400 for the extra size/power isn't that far off base and may attract quite a few who might be on the fence about the CBR250 or R2.5 vs a larger bike. A lot who weren't considering a bike twice the size would still go for it because it isn't significantly larger than the other options but is measurably better. I suspect that the economies of scale for adding FI isn't as expensive as people estimate, so it may be possible to sell it for under $5,000 on the introductory year. It's not like more CCs automatically means that it cost more to make, which is even more incentive for Kawi to just do it. They already have a FI version and the economies of scale will only make it cheaper to produce than the current FI model. They could conceivably offer 300cc Euro-spec for LESS money than the current model, though it would be a problem for graduated licensing so they would more likely sell the same thing but sleeved down.

I'm just saying that it could be a smart move if the Yamaha 250 rumor is true. Also, I know the steering damper sounds silly, but so is a slipper clutch on a street bike. It's just one more way they could profit off of the perceived performance advantage it would have over the competition. And the pointlessness of it for a bike targetted at learners is exactly why I suggested that it would make sense only as an option (profit off of the few that want more).
Slipper clutch? Check.
Under $5,000 on introductory year? Check.
Accessorizing to add profit? Double-check (factory tanks bags and "engine guard" frame protectors/sliders and solo seat cowls and tank pads and sport-touring windscreens- OH MY!)
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1313
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstorm21 View Post
Anyone think, or know if any of the 08-12 stuff will fit on the 13? Like lighting stuff (tail light, turn signals)?
The tail light and front turn signals are clearly too different. You have looked at the pictures, right?

I think that the wheels may fit because the swingarm looks the same, there was always room for a wider rim, and the front tire size didn't change, but that's just a guess. The little hugger might swap for the same reason. Sprocket cover looks like it may have changed a bit (fewer bolts?) but it may still swap one way, which would be cool considering that the 2012 cover actually fits a 1986 bike (pre-pregen). Sprockets, chain, air filters, etc: Dunno. The wiring harness is too different for a straight gauge swap. The handlebars and triple-tree clamps do look the same. The front fender mount may be different so the forks may have changed slightly. Windscreens and fairings obviously don't swap.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #1314
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The tail light and front turn signals are clearly too different. You have looked at the pictures, right?
Well, I knew the front turn signals wouldn't. I just wasn't sure about the rear and the tail light. I tried to find a close up of the 08-12 but I didn't find one. Thought I'd ask here.
I'm torn between buying a 2013 or staying with the 08-12. I was part of the group buy for the integrated tail light with LED turn signals. I was pretty sure I'd already have a bike by now.... Plus, living in Hawaii, I could buy two used ones for the price of a new one. (they are saying 8K OTD) I do love the FI, digital guage, and ABS. Other than that it doesn't matter. I wish they had other options for the ABS bike other than the kawi green/black.

Old September 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1315
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

I thought this was a good review from someone who had ridden the 250 ninja and wasn't to impressed but was turned around by the 300. Interesting note when he said 80 to 100 mph was a breeze.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=26361

Enjoy the review.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1316
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Thanks for posting the review. That's exactly what I expect to feel about it. Looking forward to it non the less.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1317
n4mwd

Quote:
Specs:
2013 Ninja 300
Engine: 296cc, liquid-cooled parallel twin, DOHC, fuel injection
Power: 39hp @ 11,000rpm
Torque: 20ft.lb @ 10,000rpm
Top speed: 105mph (est)
Weight: 172kg (dry)
MPG: 60 (est)
Price: £4,800 (TBC)
If that MPG figure is anything close to accurate, then the 300 is a gas hog compared to others. Since this is a UK review, I'm sure they are talking about imperial gallons which makes it about 50 mpg (US). This is surprising considering the new 250 is reported to get 80 mpg. Maybe the "(est)" means they just guessed and didn't really test it.

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1318
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

How do they come up with $8K OTD?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1319
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
How do they come up with $8K OTD?
Cause everything here is way more expensive. Even on the 2012 it's about 2K more than MSRP. Fees fees fees.

Last futzed with by Kstorm21; September 18th, 2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: my phone is stupid!

Old September 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #1320
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Here's a review tonight from Gabe over on BARF. He writes for City Bike and MotorcyleDaily.com, and has always been a fan of our tiny kawis.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...&postcount=129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe (from BARF)
Just spent the day riding the new bike...and wow, what a difference! Skaggs Springs Road was never that much fun on a big bike. I actually dragged my knee on Hwy One, something I haven't done for years.

The new motor is so much more powerful. You can ride it like it's a bigger bike. Cruising at a GPS-verified 85 mph is no problem and the bike doesn't feel like it's straining. Top speed (GPS verified) that I saw was 103. The speedometer was very accurate, so if other journos are seeing 112, that means the bike will actually go 106 or more. Impressive for a 300!

Also impressive is the new slipper clutch, the smooth, light transmission, good wind protection, ZX-10R-ish styling, really good fuelling and a lot of other features I'll fill you in on with my Motorcycle Daily.com review.

Going to dinner now--post questions and I'll try to ask the Kawi product planners and project leader (in from Japan for this event) to get real answers.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote