Crux
Caadx
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #1282
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

So I have been taking out the 1.5 lately. It is a fast bike, but my neck would be killing me on long rides. I set up the bike in numerous ways to try to fix the problem, no dice.

I decided to just forget that bike and drag out the Hardrock Sport Disc 29-er again. I dropped the 35c's in favor of some 29x2's. I put on my clamped grips and bar ends.

Went on a ride today and about 15 miles into it, I noticed it ghost shifting. Had to tweak the rear D, problem fixed. For some reason, at around 12-17 miles, I'd really want to turn around on the 1.5. This bike, I hit 20 and finally decided to turn around. I was so much more comfortable on the mtb over the roadie. I'm officially done with the roadie. I may go and sell it soon. I have kept it around and continued to try new things to help it out, but it doesn't work. I still can't stand it. Weird, since it was pretty comfy when I first got it (if I recall correctly). I'm just glad I took the mtb since they were working on the bike path and I had to off road it to get around the work.

I would sell the HRS and the 1.5 if I could get a better hardtail. I just don't know if that makes good financial sense right now.

EDIT: Decided to put the 1.5 up for sale officially. Will do a write up and then put it up for sale tomorrow.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #1283
salcuta88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

Trek 6000

Don't have a pic, but mine's just like this. Seat lower though Living in the mountains gives me a lot of trails to ride on

salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #1284
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
New helmet and shoes!

Helmet is a Kask Rapido. Shoes are actual roadie shoes; bontrager race DLX. And I'm using real road pedals again. No more SPD MTB pedals. Using shimano R540 light action road pedals. The spd pedals on my roadie are going into my MTB and my old spd on my mtb are hitting the circular file because they have a lot of play on the spindle from worn bearings and they're making a ruckus under heavy power.

Old August 15th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #1285
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
New helmet and shoes!

Helmet is a Kask Rapido. Shoes are actual roadie shoes; bontrager race DLX. And I'm using real road pedals again. No more SPD MTB pedals. Using shimano R540 light action road pedals. The spd pedals on my roadie are going into my MTB and my old spd on my mtb are hitting the circular file because they have a lot of play on the spindle from worn bearings and they're making a ruckus under heavy power.
Nice! I'm running Crankbros on all my bikes now (except the cargo bike).

I love 'em.

I would like a new MTB helmet though, now you mention it.

Old August 15th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #1286
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Mmmm check out the new helmets from smith (I think that's it) with the honeycomb structure in them. Uber light and vented. Buuuuuut they're also uber pricey, so looks elsewhere also

I'm still enjoying my Bell Variant MTB helmet.

Old August 17th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #1287
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Loving the SL's and stiffer shoes! I'm totally faster. My knees feel fresh because I have a tad more float than with the SPD's now and my foot is far enough forward relative to the pedal axle. The Kask helmet is awesome, really glad I switched. The strap for the back of my head has a pivot so I can get a perfect fit when I ratchet it snug. It's also super light and vents better than my older Louis Garneau helmet.

I'm taking an off day tomorrow. 115 miles on the roadie, 20 miles on the MTB, and 15 miles running this week. 6/7 days I've been active. My legs are total toast.

Old August 18th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #1288
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Since I've started to up my mileage per week (back up to 40 last week, one ride), my legs have gotten super weird. It is like they are yelling "MORE MORE MORE".

I need to get back up to 2-3 rides a week. Right now things are crazy, so once a week is all I can do (I am going to try for 2 this week).

Oh yeah, I need to do a write up on my 1.5 so I can sell it.

Old August 18th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #1289
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
So I have been taking out the 1.5 lately. It is a fast bike, but my neck would be killing me on long rides. I set up the bike in numerous ways to try to fix the problem, no dice.

I decided to just forget that bike and drag out the Hardrock Sport Disc 29-er again. I dropped the 35c's in favor of some 29x2's. I put on my clamped grips and bar ends.

Went on a ride today and about 15 miles into it, I noticed it ghost shifting. Had to tweak the rear D, problem fixed. For some reason, at around 12-17 miles, I'd really want to turn around on the 1.5. This bike, I hit 20 and finally decided to turn around. I was so much more comfortable on the mtb over the roadie. I'm officially done with the roadie. I may go and sell it soon. I have kept it around and continued to try new things to help it out, but it doesn't work. I still can't stand it. Weird, since it was pretty comfy when I first got it (if I recall correctly). I'm just glad I took the mtb since they were working on the bike path and I had to off road it to get around the work.

I .
Yep, I use my 2000 specialized hardrock with smoothies as my main road machine. The BH doesn't get a look in these days. Plus if there is an interesting path or bridleway I can take an excursion where with the BH I would be too nervous about the carbon forks
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #1290
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

That is the big thing with me. I miss hitting the trails, and with my HRS, I can jump off the path whenever I want, within reason. The SR Suntour fork is sprung, so I'm very limited on what I can do. I have to take things slow or else it will bottom out. When it does, it hits HARD. I'm aggressive on the trail. I guess that is why I am not a big fan of the bike. I need to sell that 1.5, and I'm going to think about moving up to a Superfly/X-Caliber. Either would be like night and day compared to this one. I want a Superfly 5, which is new this model year. It is just under $1600, which is a bit steep for my frugal butt. So I'm looking at the X-Caliber series.

Looking at the X-caliber 9 $1,320:

I just with the X-Caliber 8 didn't have a coil spring setup. Boooooo
Almost makes me want to just upgrade the fork on my HRS. It isn't the lightest frame, but the fork is the main thing holding me back on that bike.

Maybe a RockShox XC32?
$254.98 from PricePoint.com

I just love having the option to go off the pavement whenever I desire. So it only makes sense that I ride my MTB.

Old August 18th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #1291
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Unfortunately frugal and nice MTB parts don't go hand in hand.

I'm not fond of the trek hard tails; too much cheap stuff mixed in with the nice parts. I like the fuel line, but that's a totally different bike than you're looking for.

I ditched my nevegals for a set of conti's. Trail king on front and mountain king on back. Super grippy, faster rolling, and lighter than the Nevegals. But I get the feeling you and I have very different needs in a tire due to location. I think you have the right idea with a fast tire in back and a moderate tire in front. I was surprised at how fast rolling my tire combo is without losing any grip honestly.

Old August 18th, 2014, 08:59 AM   #1292
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I agree on the Trek line. I mean, honestly it wouldn't have killed them to put an air shock on the X-caliber 8. The air shocks have been around long enough (in other words, cheap enough now) that only the sub $1000 bikes should come with coils.

It will come down to weight honestly. Oh, and how much the 1.5 will be sold for. If I can get $700 for the 1.5, I think I will be doing good. Then maybe I can snag $500 for the HRS. If I can get $1200 total, then the X-Cal 9 can be had.

I have my GF HiFi FS setup still, so I could ditch the 1.5 and just keep the HRS for training. Then the HiFi can be used for races (whenever I have the chance to do another one) and harder trails.

Okay, I guess the front fork on the HRS will be the way to go. That way at least I have something that I can ride harder and not spend a ton of cash on a new bike that I really don't need.

Thanks for helping me decide there Chris!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #1293
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Found a fork on Amazon for $220.
New rear-d (I think the current is bent, causing the shifting issues): $25
New cassette: $19
New chain: $16

Total of $279. Shipped for just under $300.

New stuff on the way!

Old August 18th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #1294
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nice! What fork did you go with? I wanna see your build as you go!

My issue with the Trek hardtail line is that they seem to think that anyone who doesn't pony up for full suspension clearly just does it because of their budget. The only time this changes is when you start looking into the weight weenie carbon XC rigs. Even then, you're looking at a base model Reba, not a higher end fork. I could totally go for a hardtail for some learning time, it's one of the things I'm considering once my Yukon kicks the can. But if I do that, I want a solid frame with high end components and a fork with plenty of adjustment.

I think my style lends itself more towards the trail segment, not the XC segment. Luckily, a couple manufacturers are finally starting to take notice and are making hardtail frames with trail geometry and strength, as well as forks with 34mm stanchions and 120+ mm of travel. Airborne Bicycles, for instance.

Old August 18th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #1295
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Why not check out the lower end Stache? It's still got an XC32 fork, BUT! it has a more aggressive geometry, thru axles with wider rear spacing, and is meant for more abuse. The fact that the better spec'd models of this come wih a nice FOX fork means that Trek intended for this frame to do business, where the nicest X-Caliber only comes with an XC32 and (i think) standard dropouts with QR's.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...che/stache_6/#

Deore shifting stuff really isn't bad. The brakes are a little basic, as is the fork. But I think it would be better to save up for this one or the Stache 7 and make a more solid case for spending the money. Only buy it once yo!

Old August 18th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #1296
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

XC-32 fork.

Nothing special at this point.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that we really can't afford my getting deep into bicycles at this time, so I'll just do a small upgrade to my current ride. Besides, we need the extra space that selling the 1.5 would bring. This will leave her with two bikes and me with 3 (cargo, HiFi and the HRS).

Old August 18th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #1297
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, I get that. That's why I built up my Yukon in the winter, despite the fact that most people wouldn't think that frame was worth the work/parts. I didn't really want to buy another bike, and I wanted a chance to get my hands dirty It means so much more to me now, and I have nicer parts than anything I would have bought on my current budget.

Thanks Mark, now I'm eyeing that Stache 8...

Old August 18th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #1298
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:

Thanks Mark, now I'm eyeing that Stache 8...
You are welcome.

Old August 18th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #1299
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

The bad:

When you start to upgrade, it is easy to get trigger happy.

I almost purchased some BB7's to upgrade the BB5's. I'm glad I didn't. The BB5's are more than enough at this point in time.

Old August 18th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #1300
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Don't!

I'm so enamored with my Deores I'd say don't even waste the money. If you're going to upgrade the brakes, go with new Deore, SLX, or XT. All the same master and caliper, just the Deore doesn't have the ceramic pistons and SLX and XT have more adjustability and nicer finish.

Deore brakes are so good for the price, I won't bother with mechanicals on MTB any more. Same outright braking power, but the control with decent hydraulics is amazing. They're officially the budget brake of choice for me now. Call me a snob, whatever.

Old August 20th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #1301
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

First of two packages are in

Old August 20th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #1302
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

And numero dos!

Old August 21st, 2014, 11:34 AM   #1303
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I hope it gets the improvement you're after!!! X4 is pretty basic stuff, but it will tune up fine to be a working derailleur. I'm a big fan of 2x10, and really really want to get my hands on a trail bike with 1x11. 8 speed is not my thing.

Old August 21st, 2014, 12:27 PM   #1304
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Well, the X-4 is simply replacing what is currently on there. The current one is slightly bent, which causes problems here and there. So I'm just replacing it. I'm not an 8-spd fan either, but it works. Maybe after I save up and can upgrade to some X-7's. Right now, I am just doing small things here and there.

I busted butt today. It took me a few hours, but I got it done.

Washed the bike, broke the chain, swapped out the rear-d, installed new cassette, removed BB and lubed, installed a new chain, removed bars, dropped out old fork, installed XC-32, and put it back together. The seat for the bearings didn't sit all the way. I don't have a press, so I installed it and gave the top cap some torque, then bunny hopped all over my back yard. Once I felt play in my bars, I stopped and adjusted everything again. Repeated about 6 times and now all is seated. The front end is so much lighter now. It is like a whole new bike.

I'm eager to try it out off road. I'm sure going from coil to air is going to be great, but the extra 20mm of travel will make a difference (100mm now). I'm keeping the coil setup in the garage just in case. I doubt I'll use it, but I'll hold on to it for now.

Oh, and the coil setup had some nasty play in it. It would rock around like I didn't properly torque down on the top cap to seat the bearings. That was really annoying too. Now, everything is super tight. I'm excited.

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:00 PM   #1305
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Welcome to the 100mm air party. Glad for you.

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:33 PM   #1306
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Oh, I've been a member.

Okay, well it is 110 on the HiFi. Close enough. hahaha

It is nice to finally have a hardtail that would be more competitive in an XC race.

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:36 PM   #1307
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
But in a race wouldn't you want the freedom to not worry about your line as much and have rear suspension to plow over more stuff with reckless abandon?

Old August 21st, 2014, 04:45 PM   #1308
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
But in a race wouldn't you want the freedom to not worry about your line as much and have rear suspension to plow over more stuff with reckless abandon?
Depends on where I'm racing. Some places around here you would be seriously over killing it by taking a FS rig. Then there are some courses where the FS rig is a GREAT thing.

I actually got the HiFi to do endurance MTB races. I never got a chance to do one. I hope to get my fitness back to the level it was and do an endurance race.

Heck, I hope to do a race this year. Probably not endurance, but just a regular race. You know, to see how I'm doing.

I'm eager to hit the trails. I might be able to hit some trails tomorrow. I'd love to get some offroad action soon. Heck, I have to. Gotta test out that new fork!

Oh, and the FS is awesome to just, as you say, plow through junk.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:27 PM   #1309
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

For my second ride for this week I tackled 40-miles on the HRS (took me 3-hours). The coil setup is buttery smooth on small bumps compared to the XC-32 fork. However, anything bigger than the small stuff, and the coil could easily get overloaded. No issues with the XC-32. I'm digging it. I may drop the pressure 20psi to help with the road bumps when only doing distance training.

I had to do some adjustments to the bike as I rode. Small rear-d adjustments, seat pitch adjustments (since the added 20mm changed the overall setup of the bike), and concluded with raising my seatpost to competition XC height. I raised it just high enough to get maximum power output, but just low enough to be able to clear it and move my weight back when I go down a drop. I am also loving the lower front end weight.

I'll keep the new fork.

Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:30 PM   #1310
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Bueno!!! let the honeymoon begin. Hahahaha

Old August 22nd, 2014, 04:30 PM   #1311
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

[barrywhitevoice]Awwwwwwwwww yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh[/barrywhitevoice]

LOL

Old August 25th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #1312
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I really want to hit the trails this week. I think I will drag out the hardtail to the trails. We have one area that is seriously abused (roots galore). I'm sure it is a bit rougher than it used to be, but I'd love to see how the HRS performs compared to what I remember.

Old August 25th, 2014, 05:58 PM   #1313
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Did a race.......found some beer
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #1314
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Jason, I thought you didn't drink?

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #1315
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Jason, I thought you didn't drink?
I don't, that's why its a good idea to go with me to races. Usually the nearest person to me after I win beer gets it donated to them. I normally just walk up to the nearest random person and ask if they like beer

Although this time one pack went to my dad back home and the other to my buddy Nik who was with me racing that day.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #1316
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:

I would sell the HRS and the 1.5 if I could get a better hardtail. I just don't know if that makes good financial sense right now.

EDIT: Decided to put the 1.5 up for sale officially. Will do a write up and then put it up for sale tomorrow.
If you really want a comfortable ride, check out a recumbent some time.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #1317
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Nope, you won't catch me on one of those. They are a pain to transport compared to my uprights. Plus, you can't hit the trails on one.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:06 AM   #1318
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Nope, you won't catch me on one of those. They are a pain to transport compared to my uprights.
Mine fits on a standard Yakima roof rack.

Quote:
Plus, you can't hit the trails on one.
I beg to differ:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...hlight=offroad

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...hlight=offroad

There's another video I can't find of a guy doing some trails in Moab on a recumbent, that I don't think I could do on an upright.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:19 AM   #1319
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah, but even an average trail rider on a standard MTB will be as fast or faster than a fast and experienced recumbent rider on the same trails. Body english, more power from cranking on the bars and standing, and better balance when the tires get light, etc. I'll take a recumbent with fairing any day for long flat fast touring, but for MTB, I'd never try the recumbent. I'm not saying it's not possible, but there's a reason I've never seen it in person.

Old September 2nd, 2014, 05:55 PM   #1320
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I shall adjust my previous response:
You wouldn't ever dream or even consider taking one on the trails near me. You would be going nowhere fast with all the roots you have to lift your front tire over. Not forgetting the super sharp climbs that some of the trails have. There are some it would work okay on, but most of the trails I hit, you'd have to walk the bike more than ride it.