rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
those deep v's make that lovely womp womp womp sound when you pedal
We have a guy who rides one of these in our local group and the rear wheel makes it sound like a jet is approaching you from behind.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 10th, 2015, 09:37 AM   #1563
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I wish I had too much money. I would love any of there cruzbikes.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #1564
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I wish I had to much money. I would love any of there cruzbikes.
Trust me I know the feeling and that why I'm only getting this one for a limited time because they think I can set a record of some kind. If I perform then maybe they'll let me keep it a bit longer and continue training for another event. If I don't perform then I'm sure It'll be a very short trail

Old September 10th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #1565
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Trust me I know the feeling and that why I'm only getting this one for a limited time because they think I can set a record of some kind. If I perform then maybe they'll let me keep it a bit longer and continue training for another event. If I don't perform then I'm sure It'll be a very short trail
I am sending positive thoughts your way.
Set them records!

Old September 10th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #1566
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Most recumbents are easy to ride, since majority of the weight it carries (rider weight) is closer to the ground. Combined with longer (or similar) wheelbase as an upright cycle, the handle really feels more stable than most upright cycle.

Most riders think that recumbents are poor hill climbers, since rider cannot perform "out of saddle" pedaling. But in reality, having a properly supported lower back, rider get generate more power into the pedals; similar to a leg press weight machine. Recumbent rider just need to keep the cadence up, cardio train for extended long hill climbs.

I have been riding recumbent since 2006, for distance above 40 miles, I prefer recumbent over upright cycles.. Actually any distance.. the riding position is just that much better on a recumbent.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #1567
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Most recumbents are easy to ride, since majority of the weight it carries (rider weight) is closer to the ground. Combined with longer (or similar) wheelbase as an upright cycle, the handle really feels more stable than most upright cycle.

Most riders think that recumbents are poor hill climbers, since rider cannot perform "out of saddle" pedaling. But in reality, having a properly supported lower back, rider get generate more power into the pedals; similar to a leg press weight machine. Recumbent rider just need to keep the cadence up, cardio train for extended long hill climbs.

I have been riding recumbent since 2006, for distance above 40 miles, I prefer recumbent over upright cycles.. Actually any distance.. the riding position is just that much better on a recumbent.
You left out that recumbents are healthier for your sack. Cons are you are kind of stuck in one position and they are not as maneuverable (no hopping)

Old September 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #1568
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hmmm I know the feeling you're referring to about comfort, but do you have any links to support that claim about more power?

Alex, the weight doesn't matter on the rear, it's a disk and it's not the driven wheel. the front is still going to see more benefit from the aero than hit from the weight
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #1569
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Hmmm I know the feeling you're referring to about comfort, but do you have any links to support that claim about more power?

Alex, the weight doesn't matter on the rear, it's a disk and it's not the driven wheel. the front is still going to see more benefit from the aero than hit from the weight
I can leg press more then my body weight.

Old September 10th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #1570
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
those deep v's make that lovely womp womp womp sound when you pedal
Also, no wheel should go womp womp, they should all sound like wiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Pedal circles, not strokes

Old September 10th, 2015, 11:08 AM   #1571
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I can leg press more then my body weight.
Probably. But when you're seated on a diamond frame bicycle, you're still doing the leg press motion, and diamond frame bikes are very optimized for the motion from years of development with racing. When's the last time you lifted yourself off the saddle just by pedalling? I'd bet never. You can apply more force than just your body weight on a diamond frame bike.

Plus when you do stand, you have the benefit of cranking the bike back and forth to add a good bit of power.

Old September 10th, 2015, 11:20 AM   #1572
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Probably. But when you're seated on a diamond frame bicycle, you're still doing the leg press motion, and diamond frame bikes are very optimized for the motion from years of development with racing. When's the last time you lifted yourself off the saddle just by pedalling? I'd bet never. You can apply more force than just your body weight on a diamond frame bike.

Plus when you do stand, you have the benefit of cranking the bike back and forth to add a good bit of power.
You are right. It does not make a difference power wise.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3924611/

Old September 10th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #1573
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Also, no wheel should go womp womp, they should all sound like wiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Pedal circles, not strokes
i was actually repeating what a current world champion track rider said. i've never ridden with carbon wheels.

Old September 10th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #1574
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Also, i'm 99% sure no human can pump out 2000 watts in perfectly smooth circles.

Old September 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #1575
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
But those of us mere mortals are able to pedal 150 W in nice smooth circles.

You're clipped in, use it.

Old September 11th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #1576
"A"
vampire

While standing on a upright bicycle, you have no back support, power generation is limited by your body weight and the rest of your body without support.

On a properly supported recumbent seat, anyone is likely to generate more power vs an upright cycle, the key is to get "properly supported" seating on a recumbent, not just any recumbent.

Old September 11th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #1577
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i seriously doubt anyones FTP is higher than their weight can easily hold down by gravity.

which is exactly why when you sprint, you are out of the saddle, pulling on the bars. not to mention pulling up on the opposite pedal and also rocking the bike back and forth. you are able to use your entire body. you can't do that with a recumbant.

unless you're quadzilla with a bionic heart and a metabolism of a god, you aren't going to be putting out that much power for very long.

Old September 11th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #1578
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Ok so on the topic of which style bike you can produce the most power on.

On a recumbent you are essentially wedged between the pedal and seat back so unless your seat pops off you can produce more then your body weight in force.

Now on to a standard bike, more specifically a Mtb in this exact case. Now I know most people who know me say I'm your normal completely average Joe so this should be possible for anyone on my Single Speed Mtb if I'm not cliped into the pedals on a climb my body weight isn't enough to push down alone. So if I'm climbing and one of my shoes come unclipped on accident, the crank literally starts rotating backwards and lifts me strait up into the air as I start rolling backwards. So by pulling up with one foot I'm actually applying more then my 160lbs of body weight with my other leg. This can normally only be done while standing and using my upper body as a third point of leverage connected via my core. I was deforming the teeth on my chainring after only a couple hundred miles so the manufacturer of the rings using my gear ratio, total weight and trail gradient calculated I was applying over 100kgs(I'm 72kgs) of force and recommend I stop riding single speed

I kind of doubt without that third point of leverage I get by stand on the Mtb I can produce as much power on the recumbent. With that said since I can't stand on a recumbent if you limit the standard bike to seated pedaling only then I'm confident I could produce more consistent power on the recumbent.

I think most of this only matters for the average joes like myself.

Old September 11th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #1579
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I have my doubts, and until A (or anyone) is able to find actual data on sustained power, I'll continue to doubt, based on my experiences both riding and building recumbents. Sorry al, your article's about muscle activation at a set power output, not sustained power output per kg. I personally have not found an article about such a study, so if anyone has that, I'm all ears. Or eyes rather.

Without standing, I'm able to hit 27 or so for about 30 seconds. With standing, I'm unsure because I haven't done that in a long time... I may have to on my next ride for science. Speed isn't really a good compairison to a recumbent though, due to the much smaller wind resistance on a recumbent from having a smaller frontal area of the rider. I've always been faster on a diamond frame bike anyway and I'm not exactly a power house.

Old September 19th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #1580
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I've got another question for you guys.

First a little background: I've only been riding for a little bit now; less than 100 miles under my belt all told. I ride a Trek DS (a dual-sport/hybrid) and I've been riding some greenways and doing some beginner group rides (~10 miles @ 11-12 mph) and one longer road ride (20 miles). I would really like to start doing rides with my local shop's "B" group, but pretty much everyone I've talked to has said I will really need a road bike in order to keep up on the hills (something I wholeheartedly believe, given my experience on the hills I've ridden so far).

So, on to the question: do you guys have any recommendations for a good road bike for a beginner who would like to keep it for quite a while? I realize that I don't need something [/i]completely[/i] absurd, but I would like to get something "nice" within my budget of about $1200.

I have been looking at two bikes already, a 2015 Trek Emonda S4 and a 2012 Fuji Altamira 2.0 (I know, kind of violates my "nothing absurd" statement, but it's in great shape and the price is right). I test rode both of them today and I like and dislike different things about both. The Emonda is very tight and sure in its handling, but I'm not overly fond of the Shimano Tiagra shifters. They're OK, but I can definitely see myself upgrading them in the future. The Altamira on the other hand, has great mechanicals (Shimano Ultegra shifters and Dura-Ace brakes), but the bike is definitely less stable. The Emonda is also quite a bit more relaxed in its ergonomics. I guess this can be put down to the purpose to which they were designed (the Emonda is an endurance bike and the Altamira is a traditional road bike), but those have been my impressions so far.

So, any opinions or suggestions?

Old September 19th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #1581
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'd say go with an endurance bike over a race bike. like instead of the altamira get the gran fondo. easier on your back, and you're not racing anyone yet. also, get a good bike fit. your arms/back will thank you for it. getting the right size seat so you sit on your sip bones instead of your ass really makes a big difference.

but really, you dont have to keep up with anyone. i like riding solo. it means i can go my own pace. which means im not trying to keep up with someone, and im not trying to slow down for someone. that means i can give a solid 90% and really feel it.

i have the fuji gran fondo and love it.

Old September 19th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #1582
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
A couple things.

Older Ultegra is now not much above current Tiagra in terms of crisp shifts and consistency. That stuff trickles down quickly with Shimano. There's a really nice happy middle ground in the modern 11-speed Shimano 105. I have previous generation 10-speed and love it to death. Hasn't let me down, hasn't even required any adjustment since the first couple rides when the cables stretched a hair.

You've got a great budget for a fair selection of newly used, or decent middle of the road new bikes. Test ride everything you can get your paws on and see what suits you best. Figure out what riding you're doing, what's important to you in terms of what you'll concede. Are you a stickler on comfort? What about aero? Are you wanting to have a balls out climber or are you looking for ability to bomb the gravel access roads? See what I mean? Find the bike that's best for you. You've got a good starting point with the budget. Don't forget about all the accessories you'll want/need and adjust the target bike or budget accordingly. This may include but are not limited to: bottles (bidens, @alex.s ), spandex, cleats and pedals, more spandex, a helmet, another bike, a trailer, tires, wheels, bar wrap, etc. It's all about thinking the purchase through ahead of time so you don't find yourself over budget or under impressed with that beautiful steed you just spent hard earned monies on.

Old September 19th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #1583
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
i'd say go with an endurance bike over a race bike. like instead of the altamira get the gran fondo. easier on your back, and you're not racing anyone yet. also, get a good bike fit. your arms/back will thank you for it. getting the right size seat so you sit on your sip bones instead of your ass really makes a big difference.

but really, you dont have to keep up with anyone. i like riding solo. it means i can go my own pace. which means im not trying to keep up with someone, and im not trying to slow down for someone. that means i can give a solid 90% and really feel it.

i have the fuji gran fondo and love it.
I would have ridden one today, but they didn't have any in stock, new or used. I'd be pretty hard-pressed to get one down in my price range, too.

Old September 19th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #1584
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm rocking a '14 Giant Defy 1 with handmade (Pacenti SL23 rims, Sapim CxRay spokes, and White Industries T11 hubs)wheels. Badass aluminum wheelset on a bike that's the best bang for the buck I could find. I knew what style bike I wanted, test rode a bunch, and decided on this one as the best overall frame in my price range for my needs.

Look at the Giant Defy line, the Specialized Roubaix Line, the Trek Domane line, and a few others similar to that. Find a dealer for Fuji, Raleigh, Cannondale, Scott, Ridley, every brand you can. Test rides tell you a lot.

Old September 19th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #1585
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
A couple things.

Older Ultegra is now not much above current Tiagra in terms of crisp shifts and consistency. That stuff trickles down quickly with Shimano. There's a really nice happy middle ground in the modern 11-speed Shimano 105. I have previous generation 10-speed and love it to death. Hasn't let me down, hasn't even required any adjustment since the first couple rides when the cables stretched a hair.

You've got a great budget for a fair selection of newly used, or decent middle of the road new bikes. Test ride everything you can get your paws on and see what suits you best. Figure out what riding you're doing, what's important to you in terms of what you'll concede. Are you a stickler on comfort? What about aero? Are you wanting to have a balls out climber or are you looking for ability to bomb the gravel access roads? See what I mean? Find the bike that's best for you. You've got a good starting point with the budget. Don't forget about all the accessories you'll want/need and adjust the target bike or budget accordingly. This may include but are not limited to: bottles (bidens, @alex.s ), spandex, cleats and pedals, more spandex, a helmet, another bike, a trailer, tires, wheels, bar wrap, etc. It's all about thinking the purchase through ahead of time so you don't find yourself over budget or under impressed with that beautiful steed you just spent hard earned monies on.
I actually had that discussion today about the new Tiagras, but unfortunately the ones on the Emonda I'm looking at are the last generation rather than the newest one.

Really right now, I'm just looking for a good, all-around road bike. I don't plan on attacking a lot of huge hills or racing, and I'm holding on to my DS for greenways and any light off-roading. If I could get an Emonda with the newer shifters within my budget, I'd probably jump on it.

Quote:
I'm rocking a '14 Giant Defy 1 with handmade (Pacenti SL23 rims, Sapim CxRay spokes, and White Industries T11 hubs)wheels. Badass aluminum wheelset on a bike that's the best bang for the buck I could find. I knew what style bike I wanted, test rode a bunch, and decided on this one as the best overall frame in my price range for my needs.

Look at the Giant Defy line, the Specialized Roubaix Line, the Trek Domane line, and a few others similar to that. Find a dealer for Fuji, Raleigh, Cannondale, Scott, Ridley, every brand you can. Test rides tell you a lot.
My dad has a Domane 6.2, and I really like it, but the only Domane in my price range is the 2.0 and I'm not overly impressed with it. The Performance Bike up the road from me has some Ridley's but I didn't take a look at any of them today, so maybe I'll have to take a look at those. There's also a Giant, Scott, and Specialized dealer down the road a bit that I may have to go visit.

Old September 19th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #1586
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
pretty sure the altimira is more expensive than the gran fondo

Old September 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #1587
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
theres nothing wrong with steel bikes.

steel is real, you know.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #1588
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
harrison ford rocks a steel bike.

Old September 20th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #1589
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

The Altamira I'm looking at is used but seems to be in great condition, so it ends up cheaper than a new Gran Fondo. Now, if I could find a USED Gran Fondo...

Old September 20th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #1590
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Altamira is a good bike. if you can get one at a good price, i'd go for it. if its too aggressive of a posture you can always get a riser and adjust from there. haggle a bike fit in with your purchase

Old September 20th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #1591
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
You guys can read and laugh at my progress to try and set a world record here

http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/th...in-24hrs.8915/

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #1592
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Look at alex recommending stuff I recommended to him when he got his bike. Only he poo-poo'd it at the time!

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:21 PM   #1593
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I should have a bicycle tomorrow!

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #1594
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
time 4 wheeliezzzzz

Old September 20th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #1595
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
These are epic. Saw this in a random google search for pistons.

Inline twin!

Old September 20th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #1596
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
These are epic. Saw this in a random google search for pistons.

Inline twin!
unoriginal and entirely overused tbh

Old September 21st, 2015, 05:53 AM   #1597
"A"
vampire

Looks like combustion are occurring at the wrong places.

Old September 21st, 2015, 06:20 AM   #1598
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
unoriginal and entirely overused tbh
Have you seen tattoos like these in person? I think they were kind of funny. I've never seen these before

Old September 21st, 2015, 08:16 AM   #1599
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i know two moto racers with similar tattoos (but less cartoony) and like every single bicycle racer has one

it's basically the twowheel equivalent of a tramp stamp, or getting meaningless kanji

Old September 21st, 2015, 10:05 AM   #1600
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Huh, I've never seen that before. The couple guys I know who race are not inked.