ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #201
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Not yet.
Don't do it!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #202
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Don't do it!
I'm just curious what you're worried about? I've timed the speed -- I was under the speed limit, it clearly shows I had the lane to myself, that he crossed a double yellow into my right of way; just what is the danger you think I'd be put in by sharing it? The whole reason I got the camera was to show crash footage to insurance.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #203
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I'm just curious what you're worried about? I've timed the speed -- I was under the speed limit, it clearly shows I had the lane to myself, that he crossed a double yellow into my right of way; just what is the danger you think I'd be put in by sharing it? The whole reason I got the camera was to show crash footage to insurance.
But you've already won, other guy is 100% at fault. What good would giving them the footage do? Submitting this footage can only harm your case, not help it. Even if you don't see something bad, they might.

Now if the case depended on your footage then yes submit it, but if you've already won, don't. I never sent in nor even told my ins co about my camera footage. My lawyer advised me not to as the only thing it could do is harm my case.
AFM #676

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #204
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Jiggles is right, after obtaining the high ground say and show as little as possible. Just remember we're in the land where you can sue a restaurant for making you fat so nothings out of the question as far as what's fair.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #205
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Hope they pay up soon. Going through their company, they probably wont give you a nickel more than they have to. Going through yours, they will sometimes will pay for the next model year (if its their policy to do so).

The video wont really help any for property damage. But if you show it to a lawyer, he will be your new best friend.

EDIT: For injury damages that is.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #206
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I'll see if they stop mentioning it, then. I'll call my insurance tomorrow re: the bike and his re: my gear and see where things stand.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #207
n4mwd

Quote:
I'll see if they stop mentioning it, then. I'll call my insurance tomorrow re: the bike and his re: my gear and see where things stand.
I don't think you can pick and chose like that. You either have to go through your insurance or his. I don't think they will let you claim the bike with one and the accessories with the other. If your gear was destroyed, they have to pay for new, but if it was only damaged, they might try to call it accelerated wear and tear - and pay for only the reduced life of the accessory.

OTOH, if you have any personal injury, that usually comes from the other guys company unless you are in a state like FL where it comes from your No Fault insurance. The same is true for lost wages.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #208
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I don't think you can pick and chose like that. You either have to go through your insurance or his. I don't think they will let you claim the bike with one and the accessories with the other. If your gear was destroyed, they have to pay for new, but if it was only damaged, they might try to call it accelerated wear and tear - and pay for only the reduced life of the accessory.

OTOH, if you have any personal injury, that usually comes from the other guys company unless you are in a state like FL where it comes from your No Fault insurance. The same is true for lost wages.
From talking with both sides that's how it is being done -- SF (my insurance) is doing the bike estimate, paying me everything but my deductible on that front and the subrogating it to the insurance of the guy who hit me. His insurance is paying my deductible, medical, gear, and loss of use directly.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #209
n4mwd

Quote:
From talking with both sides that's how it is being done -- SF (my insurance) is doing the bike estimate, paying me everything but my deductible on that front and the subrogating it to the insurance of the guy who hit me. His insurance is paying my deductible, medical, gear, and loss of use directly.
It must work differently out there. The deductible subrogation just means that his insurance pays your insurance the deductible and then your insurance sends you a check for the deductible - a month from now.

But ultimately, his insurance pays for everything. Its just that your insurance is basically acting like a cushion. They will get whatever they pay you from his insurance company. Generally, you get treated a little better going through your own company, but not always, just depends on the company.

But your company will only pay for what you actually have coverage for. So, say for example, you don't have rental coverage. Then you can't get a rental through your own company. But the other guy (who was at fault) is still required to provide you will one. Not sure exactly how it works out there, but here you just rent one and send the other guy the bill - but only if it was his fault.

Some insurance companies will give you the next model year value. Does yours do that? That would make the 300 a lot more fun to ride.

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #210
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
It must work differently out there. The deductible subrogation just means that his insurance pays your insurance the deductible and then your insurance sends you a check for the deductible - a month from now.

But ultimately, his insurance pays for everything. Its just that your insurance is basically acting like a cushion. They will get whatever they pay you from his insurance company. Generally, you get treated a little better going through your own company, but not always, just depends on the company.

But your company will only pay for what you actually have coverage for. So, say for example, you don't have rental coverage. Then you can't get a rental through your own company. But the other guy (who was at fault) is still required to provide you will one. Not sure exactly how it works out there, but here you just rent one and send the other guy the bill - but only if it was his fault.

Some insurance companies will give you the next model year value. Does yours do that? That would make the 300 a lot more fun to ride.
Yep, that's my understanding. As for what value I get -- no idea; how can I find out?

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #211
n4mwd

Quote:
Yep, that's my understanding. As for what value I get -- no idea; how can I find out?
Fortune teller maybe? It all depends on whether you have a good company or a bad one. The one that my friend had that gave him $1,500 for a truck that was worth $8,000 was Allstate. Our experience with them was less than respectable. In addition to a totally destroyed truck, he also had a broken leg and had to get surgery. Allstate offered him about $10,000 for his injuries and the hospital bill alone (not counting doctors, ambulances, xrays, etc) was over $30,000. Long story short, he was forced to hire an attorney (something he didn't want to do because he doesn't like attorneys) and a week later they sent him a check for $100K (other guy's policy limits). We had been arguing with them for about a month before that.

So anyhow, I hope that neither of you had Allstate.

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #212
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

At least it wasn't your fault
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #213
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
So anyhow, I hope that neither of you had Allstate.
I have state farm, he has mercury.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #214
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
So latest news is I may be screwed. I've been informed as a Nevada resident that there's a specific database used to value vehicles that are total loses and my valuation can't deviate from that. My adjustor is seeing what he can do but this may just suck. If it does I'm just really going to hope I win the AreaP Group Buy freebie, because otherwise I'm out a good chunk of change to get Saturn together like Hotaru was.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #215
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

That blows so much. So all your modifications aren't factored into the total, nor is the actual street value of the motorcycle?
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:30 AM   #216
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
That blows so much. So all your modifications aren't factored into the total, nor is the actual street value of the motorcycle?
Correct on the second count (street value).
On the first it is a "database value" for modifications -- my AreaP will be valued the same as a sub-$100 slip on, for example. If it's not in the db (e.g. my proton turn signals) it has $0 of value.

I'm very perturbed about this. Can't wait to move back to Texas.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #217
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Got nailed today, I'll be shocked if Hotaru isn't totalled out.

What I learned (important part first): You can never 'just cruise' while on a bike; I let my guard down and it bit me. More to the specific incident: always be wary around slow cars/traffic. I will say I think I would've had the same accident in a cage; but that's irrelevant.

What happened: was heading down the road from my hotel to work. In the far right lane. Farther up this road the right lane and the two left lanes 'split' to two different roads, so lots of traffic in one but not the other isn't uncommon. Light ahead of me was red, lots of traffic in the left lanes, I didn't think anything of it. Anyway, there was a gap at one point I didn't see until I was on top of it with a car turning left (I assumed it was solid cars all the way to the red light ahead). By the time I saw him it was too late.

Contributing Factor: I had moved to the far left of my lane from a van that was trying to pull out to make sure he saw me/give myself more time. I was working my way back to the right when this happened. If I were farther to the right sooner I might've seen him earlier. Probably not enough to stop the accident but every bit helps.

And the video:

Link to original page on YouTube.
Also: Not an excuse but remember this is a wide angle lens -- the distances are shorter than they look.

*sniffle* Poor baby bike. I was fine though. Ironically if I had been a bit slower this could've gone way worse by having me hit the cabin instead of the hood.

wow, that was pretty badass. did you do a front flip and land on the hood on your feet then fall backwards? looked pretty crazy. glad to hear no injuries.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #218
EternalNewb

That's such a load of crock. Is there any way you can get back some of the aftermarket parts and sell them separately? Depending on what they give you for the total, it may be better to just part the bike out, depending on the condition.

Is this something that's has to do with you being a Nevada resident involved in an accident in California, or is it a state-specific DMV thing? Or something from the insurance end?
Still, I'm so pissed off on your behalf.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #219
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
wow, that was pretty badass. did you do a front flip and land on the hood on your feet then fall backwards? looked pretty crazy. glad to hear no injuries.
I went into a tumble out of muscle memory from gymnastics; so pretty close to that yeah :P Thanks for the compliment I guess.
And yeah, no injuries is the most important thing. I am, however, going to be going over this accident in my head before I set out to ride every morning and saying "it wasn't my fault but I did lose" -- good way to make me watch out for these sort of hazards and remember who carries the risks (both physical and financial).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #220
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
That's such a load of crock. Is there any way you can get back some of the aftermarket parts and sell them separately? Depending on what they give you for the total, it may be better to just part the bike out, depending on the condition.

Is this something that's has to do with you being a Nevada resident involved in an accident in California, or is it a state-specific DMV thing? Or something from the insurance end?
Still, I'm so pissed off on your behalf.
From my understanding it's a straight up "if you're a Nevada resident and your vehicle is totalled" system, but I'm sure the accident being out of state doesn't help. I'm going to try and get permission to strip parts of "zero value" off in particular, or see what they think salvage value is and just get her back for parts here on Ninjette's marketplace.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #221
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
watch out for these sort of hazards and remember who carries the risks (both physical and financial).
very wise. its a concept unfortunately lost on a large portion of riders... regardless of who's at fault or who will come out 'right' in the end, the motorcycle always loses. have you spent any time on the track? it was really surprising to me the first time i got to a track... almost all the hazards of riding are removed... its really peaceful and serene

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #222
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

That sucks about the insurance.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #223
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
very wise. its a concept unfortunately lost on a large portion of riders... regardless of who's at fault or who will come out 'right' in the end, the motorcycle always loses. have you spent any time on the track? it was really surprising to me the first time i got to a track... almost all the hazards of riding are removed... its really peaceful and serene
Going to Streets of Willow this summer for California Super Bike School I can't wait.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #224
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1att3r View Post
That sucks about the insurance.
Yeah, I miss Texas insurance -- was much better. Count yourself as lucky

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #225
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
almost all the hazards of riding are removed...
Except for the rider!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #226
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm jelly. i need to sign up for some track schools... just not much time and my 'spare weekends' usually go to race weekends. superbike school is fantastic i've heard. i have some friends who have taken superbike school, a few others who have taken pridmoores star school... i think most reputable schools are probably fantastic but those two get such great reviews. be careful though. race track addiction is srs bsns.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #227
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Except for the rider!
haha why i said *almost*

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #228
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yakaru - the insurance thing sounds strange to me. Is it a policy/process of your insurance company that deals with Nevada customers that way, or is it a state-wide process that every insurance company has agreed or is even mandated to use? It sounds a little hinky to me, and I wonder if you keep pushing what still has the option of being more squishy than you might think.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #229
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yakaru - the insurance thing sounds strange to me. Is it a policy/process of your insurance company that deals with Nevada customers that way, or is it a state-wide process that every insurance company has agreed or is even mandated to use? It sounds a little hinky to me, and I wonder if you keep pushing what still has the option of being more squishy than you might think.
It's state wide mandated regardless of insurer.

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #230
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
god dayum glad you are ok
This. Ride safe brother.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #231
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Quote:
What we couldn't see in the video is she landed on all fours like a cat.

Old March 4th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #232
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1att3r View Post
What we couldn't see in the video is she landed on all fours like a cat.
*blink* I... actually did. o.O

edit: well, maybe not 'like a cat', but on all fours.

Old March 4th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #233
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

If something like that happened to me I envision it'll be like the battlefield 3 laying on the ground reaching out.

Old March 4th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #234
n4mwd

Tell the insurance company if they don't pay a fair price for your aftermarket parts, then you want them back. But realistically, you need to figure what you would get selling them on craig's list or ebay. Used parts are not that valuable, but maybe more valuable than what they are offering.

If they wont cooperate, tell them you want the whole bike back and you'll settle up in court with the other guy. Remind them about your head injury. Seems like you are seeing red all of a sudden.

Old March 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #235
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
My insurance is covering this, so medical wise they'd say "go after the other driver".
I should hear tomorrow about details; anything they say isn't of value I'm telling them I want to strip off.

Old March 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #236
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Good luck

Old March 4th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #237
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
So latest news is I may be screwed. I've been informed as a Nevada resident that there's a specific database used to value vehicles that are total loses and my valuation can't deviate from that. My adjustor is seeing what he can do but this may just suck. If it does I'm just really going to hope I win the AreaP Group Buy freebie, because otherwise I'm out a good chunk of change to get Saturn together like Hotaru was.
You really should have broken your leg, that's how you get the big payouts
AFM #676

Old March 4th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #238
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
I just can't do it, Jiggles, I'll forever be in second place to your mastery of the insurance claim.

Old March 4th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #239
EternalNewb

Quote:
But then she can't do track days and superbike school.

Old March 4th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #240
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I just can't do it, Jiggles, I'll forever be in second place to your mastery of the insurance claim.
Jiggles is just good at it because of practice.