ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Dealership Maintenance Programs

I finally got a chance to check out the 09 250R's at my local Kawi dealer this weekend. When I sat on the 250 I almost started drooling.. (my wife was kind of getting into the whole bike thing also ).

Anyway, I was talking to the sales guy about our dealers "Pit Pass" program. It's like $1200 dollars and covers all small maintenance and also includes oil changes. The guy said it was unlimited mileage so you could wrack up as many miles as you wanted and you'd still get the same maintenance coverage.

First of all, I need to find out how many years the Pit Pass covers. If it's only 1 (or even 2) the monthly charge really wouldn't be worth it. But I'm thinking if it's more like 3-5 years or so I may go for it.

I think I already asked something similar at KF, but I thought I'd see what you guys think. Any opinions?
xTKx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #2
xTKx
Finally!

Woops, just realized that I put this in the wrong forum. Alex, please move to 2008+ 250R Forum Tech Talk if you think it's necessary. Thanks!!

Old January 19th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

*moved*

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

obviously the length of time it covers is going to be a big factor of making it worth it or not.

changing your own oil is pretty easy though, and thats the bulk of your maintenance. some people just don't get into doing that kinda stuff though. if you don't and plan on putting some miles down, then it might be worth it. getting your oil changed and stuff at the shop can get expensive.

Old January 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5
kkim

$1200 will pay for a lot of maintenance, if you do it yourself. Were you planning on doing any of it yourself? I find maintenance programs like these to be more of a trap than a lifeline.

KF?? what you nutz?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
xTKx
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
obviously the length of time it covers is going to be a big factor of making it worth it or not.

changing your own oil is pretty easy though, and thats the bulk of your maintenance. some people just don't get into doing that kinda stuff though. if you don't and plan on putting some miles down, then it might be worth it. getting your oil changed and stuff at the shop can get expensive.
Yeah, very true, I'm going to have to double check how long it was for.
It's not that I don't want to attempt or do the maintenance myself (I worked at a mechanics shop for a while and took tech classes for two years of high school so I have a pretty good understanding of mechanics), but I just worry about time. I've got a really, really busy schedule for my age and I just think if it's something that I can get done while I'm doing other things it would definitely help (especially during the break in period).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
$1200 will pay for a lot of maintenance, if you do it yourself. Were you planning on doing any of it yourself? I find maintenance programs like these to be more of a trap than a lifeline.

KF?? what you nutz?
Whatever maintenance I have time for during my schedule, I plan to perform myself.

LOL!!

Old January 19th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

1200 would buy allot of goodies, for you and the bike. Dont forget to spend some on the wife too, valentines is just around the corner
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #8
xTKx
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
1200 would buy allot of goodies, for you and the bike. Dont forget to spend some on the wife too, valentines is just around the corner
LOL! She was checking out some jackets and helmets while we were there (so good idea).

You guys have actually brought an interesting point of view that I honestly haven't even thought about yet! I really could buy some nice gear for me (and the wife of course) and it may be about the same (or possibly less)!

But I've got another question, for those interested, but it's off topic. Something I was thinking about today was my bike payments and the economy (a subject that's probably on everyone's mind). I am by no means a financial guru, but I've got some pretty good credit and I'm only 21 (almost). I've worked hard for it and paid everything off that I've ever had payments on either early or on time. Both my wife and I are extremely blessed with our jobs and are both making good money for our ages, but here's the thing: I'm worried that if push comes to shove if our financial situation continues to decrease, I'd have to either give up or lose the bike. That's something that I simply don't want to face, so now I'm a little discouraged on what I should do. Anyone have an opinion on that as well? (and thanks to everyone for your previous replies).

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #9
kkim

You should have cash reserves built up so if both of you lost your jobs, you could keep the household running for at least 6-12 months.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #10
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I bought a brand new bike because the used bikes that were a year older cost more. You should be able to get your money back out of a Ninja 250, or suffer a small loss. Either way you should turn out ok with a 250. I'm in the same position, but not married, and I figured this would be the best bet. Also, If I were you I'd go without the service plan. It would take less time for you to change your own oil than take it to the dealer, wait, wait, wait, wait, and then go home to see the wifey. Quality time you could be learning about your bike and your girl. We girls like attention.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #11
ken_here
ninjette.org member

Name: ken

Motorcycle(s): none yet

IF your bike will be a hobby and you already have a car, my vote wold be to save up and pay cash for the bike. Also another vote for skipping the pit pass. I am a ninja hopeful too and patiently waiting to save up the cash. Any financial downturn that may occur Before purchase I have the cash. After purchase, its paid for and there is no time rush/stress to sell the bike super fast.
ken_here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #12
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Total rip off. I declined it and change the oil, check the chain slack, and tighten the bolts myself.

The only thing I'll probably ever take the bike in for is to change the tire, chain (maybe), and valve check.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #13
xTKx
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
You should have cash reserves built up so if both of you lost your jobs, you could keep the household running for at least 6-12 months.
I read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover at 19 years old before I got married (and yes, I did get married young). He talks about the same things so I think that's some good input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
I bought a brand new bike because the used bikes that were a year older cost more. You should be able to get your money back out of a Ninja 250, or suffer a small loss. Either way you should turn out ok with a 250. I'm in the same position, but not married, and I figured this would be the best bet. Also, If I were you I'd go without the service plan. It would take less time for you to change your own oil than take it to the dealer, wait, wait, wait, wait, and then go home to see the wifey. Quality time you could be learning about your bike and your girl. We girls like attention.
LOL! Very true. While we were at the dealer, she seemed to get into the whole bike thing so, hopefully, in the future this can become something that the both of us enjoy (rather than something just for myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_here View Post
IF your bike will be a hobby and you already have a car, my vote wold be to save up and pay cash for the bike. Also another vote for skipping the pit pass. I am a ninja hopeful too and patiently waiting to save up the cash. Any financial downturn that may occur Before purchase I have the cash. After purchase, its paid for and there is no time rush/stress to sell the bike super fast.
True. I think a part of me just really wants the bike (like any other "hopeful" I guess)!! I finally got my first bike last summer (after many debates with the wife) and had a blast riding. However, 3 months later I turned around and sold the bike for my wife so that I could buy furnishings for our house--so I kind of feel like I got "robbed" a little bit for my whole bike experience (though, of course, it was my choice to sell).

Old January 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #14
SF-Dug
ninjette.org member

Name: Dug

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Not to hijack this thread but what do you guys think of the Kawasaki Good Times protection program? Is that worth it or is it just as useless?
SF-Dug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #15
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

If you are going to be getting their extended warrenty or at least the one for the first year I would still suggest taking it to the dealership for the 'check-ups'. The reason I say this is that if something does malfunction and you do not have the documentation that it was done by a certified dealer/shop then that is out of your pocket. If you do have the documents stating you took it in for it's checkups then it will most likely be covered...

But that is just an observation on my part.

Dug.. I have the protection plan and it was worth it for me when Tyke blew a bearing.. I had all my records and there was oil in it so they covered it.

Old January 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-Dug View Post
Not to hijack this thread but what do you guys think of the Kawasaki Good Times protection program?
Some info in an earlier thread right here.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote