ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Should I bother telling my dad I got my endorsement?

This is kind of silly. Should I? Lol
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2
supermanzdead
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Current: 2011 ZX6r Owned: 2010 EX250R "Special Edition"

Why wouldn't you tell him?
supermanzdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanzdead View Post
Why wouldn't you tell him?
I don't know. Maybe I'll surprise him one day.

My dad currently live with his parents, and if I tell him, then my grandparents will know too. I'm not sure if I want them to find out because there's a chance they'll get worried and give me a spiel on how dangerous motorcycles are. Maybe I'll keep it low key for a while longer.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #4
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

It is silly. It makes you seem like you're not very mature if you can't face a basic step of life like sharing a interest with family members. Deal with it now so it doesn't become a problem later.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Its cause you wana ditch him :P?

Old September 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I say go ahead and tell him but maybe tell him to not tell your grandparents. Sorry if that was a little confusing to follow :P
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Either way your going to have to tell them. I also agree with the post above, saying it shows a sign of maturity. Did you take an MSF yet? if so, let them know. If not, tell them you will. showing safety first will help a lot. Also, let them know youre aware of the risks and accept that. That is the first step to getting a motorcycle, knowing the risks involved and accepting that they exists and there is a possibility.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM   #8
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I don't know. Maybe I'll surprise him one day.

My dad currently live with his parents, and if I tell him, then my grandparents will know too. I'm not sure if I want them to find out because there's a chance they'll get worried and give me a spiel on how dangerous motorcycles are. Maybe I'll keep it low key for a while longer.
Just hit them with the stats on how many people are killed in or with a car versus motorcycle deaths. Fewer people die every year on bikes than by cars by a huge amount.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #9
lv250
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2009 CRF230L, 1998 Honda VT1100c, 1974 Honda XL100, 07 Yamaha Wolverine 350, 06 ArticCat 250

When i was 16

I would tell them here is my experience with having the same sort of issue.

I took the class at 16 with out my parents knowing. I got my license and purchased a bike. I hid it in the shed since my parents never did yard work that was my job.

I was always told by my mom I would never have a bike while I lived under their roof. So now you know why I hid it.

One day I skipped school parked the bike right in front of the door to the house. Well my mom also skipped work and caught me coming out with helmet in hand.

Man did I get the lecture. But when my dad got home he calmed my mom down and they made rules that I had to follow and had to buy new safe gear.

Let the lecture happen if there is one. Ensure them with the idea that you have taken a class and explain you understand the risks. They maybe more supportive then you think and may even get a little excited. Ya never really know. Especially if you share the shopping for the bike with them.
lv250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #10
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Just hit them with the stats on how many people are killed in or with a car versus motorcycle deaths. Fewer people die every year on bikes than by cars by a huge amount.
I think the percentage of motorcycle related deaths is higher, though the magnitude of car deaths is higher. That is, since more people drive than ride, a greater number of car related deaths occur. However, the ratio of motorcyclists to motorcycle deaths is higher than the ratio of car drivers to car related deaths.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #11
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Just tell them and get it over with!

I told my parents the day after I bought my motorcycle, in which I did not have my endorsement or learners permit at the time, and were they happy with my decision? No, but they realized that my mind was made up and that telling me about how dangerous motorcycles are would not change my mind.

Plus they did have some peace of mind by knowing I was going to get my learner's permit, endorsement, and wear my safety gear at all times.

Just be honest with your parents. They will respect you more for it.