ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 4th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Manimal
ninjette.org member

Name: Daren

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE

Area P Exhaust Broke, Bummer!!!

Was heading out to a group ride Saturday morning. I had just got onto the the freeway and by the next exit, the exhaust got really loud...... WTF?! Pulled off the freeway, and pulled into the nearest driveway only to discover the the Area P header busted wide open where the pipes merge 2 into 1.

Fortunately, my neighbor used to weld and has a hook-up to get my exhaust welded back together.

Any other Area P owners have an issue with your exhaust?
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #2
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Call or email AreaP. That just doesn't and shouldn't happen unless you were in a wreck or something. From what I hear, AreaP stands by its products. I'm sure they will replace it. But I don't blame you for wanted to fix it now.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to new-gen tech. Ping kbryant on this site for help.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

ohhhh dont say that! I just paid for mine 3 minutes ago

Old July 4th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

WOW. This is DEFINITELY not the norm. Honestly thats the last place I would suspect mine to break. I wonder though, if very incorrectly tuned wouldnt a lot of moisture gather in your exhaust?

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

It is the Race exhaust or the normal? Did you tighten down the bracket in the back? Was anything touching part of the engine? This is really weird to see something like that happening to the Area P

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #7
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

the Area P is stainless steel (high quality stainless steel) so it doesn't rust/oxidize. Moisture almost certainly isn't the issue here.

I've seen a four-into-one aftermarket exhaust split like the one described in this post. The reason for the split, as far as we could tell, was that the installation had been difficult because the exhaust didn't fit the bike's attachment points well (the cylinder head and pipe attach point).

Maybe during it's construction the lay-up in the welding jig wasn't spot-on or the tube warped due to too much heat during the welding process. So when it was installed it was under a bit of bending force to make it fit the attachment points.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #8
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Hi Daren,

Of course we're sorry to hear that. We'll be happy to try and help you. But we need some details; When you purchased it? Original owner (we don't see you in our sales reports)? Has/had it been crashed, etc.. Looking at your avatar, it looks like you have the original long stainless muffler, which we discontinued many years ago on the new-gen models. Regardless, simply contact us directly at areapnolimits@sbcglobal.net to let us assist you.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Manimal
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the replies all =)

For the curious; the bike has not or was not crashed (retains "clean" title), the exhaust has always been properly fastened (at the motor, silencer, and slip-on clamp).

Kerry, email sent.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #10
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

i love some of the responses.

no exhaust is gonna last forever. This happens all the time, this is not a bash on AreaP at all...but contamination happens, TIG welding 304 stainless is not insanely hard, but to mass produce an exhaust you have to have consistent materials, conistent welding and a consistently very clean welding room/area,etc.

so over all, this happens, anyone of those issues with a handful of others could've caused it. it happens, no one is to blame.

i hand TIG'd my entire exhaust, my air to water intercooler, my old intake manifold and all of my intercooling piping.

3 years, incredible egt's, weather, abuse, crappy roads and still goin strong..except my old intake manifold.

due to a dirty last second welding change, a bad design, and lack of penetration..my manifold couldn't hold 21+psi...it kept popping(blowing open at the welds)

my intercooler,exhaust and piping have seen 30psi...no issues...so one of those little variables can change the outcome.

not sure this helped, but i hope so. Kbryant will help you, these things happen.

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe he was bringing fireworks home and didn't have room so he strapped them to the bottom of the bike

Old July 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Manimal
ninjette.org member

Update .......

As mentioned initially, my neighbor had made the repair for me while I was out of town with family.

Our next ride together, lunch is on me ....... lol

Additionally, on Monday July 4th, I had emailed Kerry. Within the next couple of days, I received a reply back. Kerry and Area P are AWESOME!

Kerry had made me an offer that I am sure no one would refuse, replacing my exhaust header with the exchange of my broken exhaust header. However, being out of town, I was not able to get a hold of Kerry within a timely manner. Moreover, my neighbor had contacted me either that day or the next telling me the repair had been done.

Again, I want to Thank Kerry for a speedy reply and for class A customer satisfaction and service. I am sure Area P will continue to strive and build premier exhaust systems.