ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 6th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #1
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Where to start- assessing complete lack of low end power

Hey guys, I've finally decided to tackle an issue thats been bugging me for a while.

Background on bike (2008):
Pods installed
Shimmed up 3 washers
Kleen air system removed
Ratty 2-1 Exhaust

So the bike has been a WIP for a little while and I havent let this get to me but seeing as Im riding it more and more now its time to address this issue. I have a complete lack of low-end power. I know 250's arent known for their neckbreaking speed off the line but the bike should still feel fairly quick from 0-60. The bike idles fine and revs up fine but first gear and 2nd gear are almost entirely worthless. I end up in 4th or 5th before I know it. Its difficult to keep up with traffic and passing power at low speed is non-existant. I know the Ninja loves the top-end of its RPM range but ive got no pulling power there in the lower gears either. All in all the bike feels rather anemic.

So where to start? Im guessing the exhaust is an issue. I've got a leak in the bottom of the can which I know certainly isn't helping me out any. Probably needs a system with more back pressure anyways. What else? Should I shim down? Look into a jet kit? Only ride downhill from now on?

Thanks in advance and happy Friday!
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You should consider rectifying the exhaust issue you had from before, install a jet kit and change your sprocket set up, if it is still stock.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #3
kkim

put a decent exhaust on there before you try and fix the other things. here... free stock exhaust for your bike... he even lives in Atlanta. All you have to do is pick it up.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71400
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Wow. Kelly you are the man. Sent that guy a PM...would be a great place to start with addressing this issue.

Old May 6th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #5
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Full system exhaust--Jet-kit---42t rear or 15t front sprocket.
After sorting out weather theres a mechanical issue. I Defer to the Expert Kkim take it away. lol
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninjette

At what rpm do you shift?
I find it shocking and funny how many people I have seen complain of issues or bag on the ninjettes performance who never even spin to 10k+ where the bike actually makes its potebt usable power. It astounds me seeing stories about it... like they just don't understand it...

also how big are you, and are you sure you have the throttle tube pinned? It can be diffocult to go WOT without regripping...
Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

I dont think theres anything mechanically "wrong" per se I just think the setup isn't ideal. I think the exhaust system is too much of straight-thru shot for such a small displacement bike. Couple that with the PODs /Lack of Airbox/ fact that I most likely have a leak due to crappy exhaust gaskets and I'd say im robbing all the power at low speeds.

Old May 6th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

No tach= no actual RPM #'s for ya but I know that Im at least 10k when Im hitting my shift points. I know where the sweet spot should be...its just not there. I'm 190 lbs (of unbelievablely good looking bearded man muscle) and the bike is maybe 35-50 lbs lighter than stock. Definitely hitting WOT.

Old May 6th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninjette

how do you "know" without a tach? You have a straight pipes exhaust more or less from the sound of things... shifting by ear may not be working for you as well as you think. Take it to fuel cut in second nd see if it has more passing power than where you have been shifting... and you're sure you're sure about hitting WOT woth the throttle tube?

it just sounds like the same user error I have seen and heard a lot of, no offense intended at all.
Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #10
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

None taken. Yes having the straight pipe on there does make it difficult to shift from feel but its certainly not unreasonable to know when im >10k as opposed to <10k. As far as WOT goes...this isnt my first bike...I know how to twist a throttle all the way open.

Believe me, Im not short-shifting when Im looking to pass or get out of trouble...I'd err on the side of leaving it in gear and ramping up the RPMs in those situations. I know plenty of new people don't understand the torque curve of the 250 but I think that I have a pretty good feel for it...and currently my bike is flat all the way around.

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Did you get larger jets? Pods introduce a lot more air.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #12
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Stock jets. Needles shimmed up w/ 3 washers.

Old May 6th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #13
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Full system exhaust--Jet-kit---42t rear or 15t front sprocket.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #14
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojah17 View Post
the bike should still feel fairly quick from 0-60.
No it shouldn't, it can't.

Have you ridden a similar bike to compare it to?

Old May 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojah17 View Post
Stock jets. Needles shimmed up w/ 3 washers.
throw some 110 mains in there and see if that helps. Have you ever looked at the jetting database?

Good catch, Cuong.

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #16
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Update:
Picked up a stock header/can from another member and the difference is night and day. Still a little flat in the low-mid range but its a lot nicer all the way around. Not perfect but a good first step towards getting better. Need to get a slip-on because I can't stand the stock can on a naked bike.

I've checked out the jetting DB a couple of times and thats my next plan of action. #3 Kit is the way to go with the stock airbox removed?

Yes, I've ridden a couple of other bikes (closest comparison was probably a 360)...I know the ninjette isn't "quick" in motorcycle terms but my bike was really really struggling....

Old May 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #17
kkim

you have air filter pods (and removed airbox) and are still using the stock 98 main jets?

Old May 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #18
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

I am indeed. Like I said, shes been a WIP for awhile- now that Im at the point that I can ride her everday its time to sort the tuning out. There were a whole mess of pressing issues before this point.