ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 10th, 2020, 06:10 PM   #1
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Transmission, and "switch-comp, nuetral" Q

Hey y'all, it's been a while. Life been busy.

So, remember that stupid debacle I had with the chains, getting thrown off my ninjas.. Well, that was sorted on one of the bikes, and no issues. Riding great. Now the 06 Ninja, I am finally getting to squeeze in some damage control. Been sitting for a few months.. Running across some issues, I haven't ever tackled before. so looking for opinions.

( this is without chain, and on centerstand for time being)

Right above the counter-shaft sprocket, is a green wire. It is disconnected, from it's..( bung?) fitting. At the end of said wire is a brass geared looking connection. And inside the fitting/bung, is a tiny brass "T" shaped bullet. Am I missing anything else?

So..wire, brass connector, brass bullet. Threaded bung..

Am I missing a spring? Or rod that goes through there. (Neutral light does not come on when in neutral) bikebandit calls it a "switch-comp, neutral" and shows the outside of unit, but no internal details.

Secondly, it shifts through all 6 gears. I noticed using the clutch lever, does not appear to disengage the clutch. ( going by how hard the countershaft still turns.) So, because of it sitting a few months, possible clutch plates sticking? Or is it simply having more torque, on it's own, because it isn't having to be countered, by a chain, and tire contacted to pavement?
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2020, 10:28 PM   #2
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Ok second issue I was able to figure out. Clutch/clutch lever is working fine, and shifting properly. Engine is fine.

Now just to figure out about the wire.

Old October 11th, 2020, 12:17 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
Right above the counter-shaft sprocket, is a green wire. It is disconnected, from it's..( bung?) fitting. At the end of said wire is a brass geared looking connection. And inside the fitting/bung, is a tiny brass "T" shaped bullet. Am I missing anything else?

So..wire, brass connector, brass bullet. Threaded bung..
Can you post photo of this? Not sure if your wire is broken or if neutral-switch may have come part or if there's something additional non-OEM tacked on...

1. First you have to make sure neutral switch is sensing neutral OK. Put transmission in neutral and push bike back & forth to verify it’s in neutral. Then measure resistance between neutral switch’s terminal and chassis ground. How many ohms to you measure?

2. Next test neutral light circuit. Unplug green wire from sensor. Stick bare wire into bullet terminal and ground other end. Key ON, do you see neutral light on dash?

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 11th, 2020 at 04:00 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2020, 08:01 PM   #4
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

I probably shouldn't have drawn all over it. So the wire has a tight connection to the right side. The bullet, or "T" shaped item on far left. Between the two is hollow space. So I'm thinking there is a rod or spring, missing.

Have meter at the other job. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/albu...ictureid=13852
Attached Images
File Type: jpg artflow_202010102116.jpg (76.9 KB, 17 views)

Old October 11th, 2020, 09:10 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17

I checked one I have and there’s no way to remove bullet terminal on it. The inside tip is spring-loaded. So yours may be damaged with missing guts?

Inside tip should be electronically isolated from outside.

You can test unit itself:

1. Resistance from either tip to outside casing should be infinite ohms/open circuit

2. Resistance between inner tip and outer terminal should be zero-ohms/full-continuity.

If you don’t have continuity from inner tip to outside bullet terminal, maybe you can repair it with spring from ball-point pen? It’s definitely weak spring like that.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2020, 10:36 PM   #6
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

I was thinking that was the case, that it was pulled apart, and a piece went missing.

So the good news, as far as looking at things.. the male connector pops back in, with reasonable force ( into an insulated pocket) and the opposite end tip, also has the isolator. As much as I draw..have not a single pen that clicks. :/ but, I do have various lighters of different sizes.. I'll try a spring from those. I'll report back my findings.

Thanks for the help!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.