Aesthetic mods 18 19.35%
Performance mods 4 4.30%
Both mods (Aesthetic & Performance) 59 63.44%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #1
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

Name: jOE

Motorcycle(s): none yet (getting a 250R)

Do most of us mod?

It seems like a lot of non-racer joy riders here don't stick with stock. From aesthetic mods (like my fender eliminator) to performance, the ninjettes seem to mod (of course, there's obviously experimenter bias here, since OEM people don't post as much about their non-mods).

Anyway. I'm thinking about doing different sprockets in order to not have to shift gears so much (I'm in 3rd before 20-25mph...and cruise in 6th at 40mph). However, to balance out the down-low torque I'll be losing, I figure I might as well do the shims and/or re-jet along with an exhaust.

I mainly want to (a) have more "usable" 1st and 2nd gears, and (b) have more--at least as much--torque down low if possible, since I do a lot of stop-n-go errands and RARELY go over 40mph (partly because I'm still new to the bike/street-riding, and partly because if I have to get on a highway or go somewhere more than 3 miles away, I'll take my truck).

What says the hive-mind?
evi1joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #2
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
Anyway. I'm thinking about doing different sprockets in order to not have to shift gears so much (I'm in 3rd before 20-25mph...and cruise in 6th at 40mph).
It sounds like you ride with very low revs. If you want more low speed power, then simply shift at higher RPMS.

When I'm traveling at 40MPH I'm usually in 4th gear, but sometimes I'm even in 3rd. The bike is running with high revs at that point and feels alive and responsive. I'm guessing that if you're traveling 40MPH all the way up in 6th gear then the revs are only at ~5000RPM. My bike doesn't feel responsive and nippy until I get to 6000RPM.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #3
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I tend to stick with changing how the bike looks and leave the mechanicals stock, mainly for reliability & longevity reasons. For instance, when I think about changing gear ratios & power output like you're considering, I can't help but think about what the repercussions might be. Clutch life comes to mind, since 1st gear will be taller and the engine will be putting out a bit more torque. Won't the clutch have to be slipped a little longer every time you accelerate from a stop? Maybe it's not enough of a ratio change to affect the clutch....just a thought.

As for the advantages of taller gearing, I would think that at most, you'll be saving yourself one upshift...maybe cruising around in 5th instead of 6th. That, to me wouldn't be worth the effort and cost of the chain, sprockets, etc.

I wouldn't mind power mods like intake and exhaust, but I'm paranoid of doing something that may cause the engine to run lean, which can be very destructive. I'm assuming it would mean riding the bike for a while, and pulling the spark plugs to read what's going on. That sounds like a pain, IMO. The small hp gains available doesn't seem worth a new exhaust, intake filtration and carb jetting to make sure the a/f ratio is right. So, my bikes pretty much remain stock, mechanically. If there was a big hp gain as a return on the investment, I'd give it more consideration.

For me, a fender eliminator is a must for any generation 250. I haven't seen much else for the previous-gen 250 that I've taken a liking to, other than some really nice custom paint jobs, which I don't see myself doing.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #4
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

@akima: Yeah, I think what you're calling alive and responsive, I'm thinking of as jerky and not-smooth. ;o) To each his/her own. So do you stay in first until 10-11Krpm, then do the same with 2nd? (NOTE: I did notice a dead-spot from like 7.5K to like 9K in my throttle...but I've read in a few places that's normal for these engines)

It's true though--everything says these are high-rev engines, but I think coming from a Suzuki DS185 (starting at 13yrs old in 1985) and non-performance trucks/SUVs, it just feels weird to go over 6000rpm.

@cbdallas: I hear you...many places say if you want more performance, sell your 250 and buy a 500/650R. ;o) I didn't realize sprocket changes could hurt the clutch--a lot of people seem to do that one. I too like the idea, in principle, of more HP--especially down low and in the mid-range....but (a) it costs money, and (b) it might hurt resale if they think you're a hot-dogger. I'm happy enough that I don't know if I'm going to do the planned "upgrade" to the 650R, so resale probably isn't a concern. Thus, if I can find a place nearby that does jetting, I may look into that and exhaust (and pulling the snorkel).

Old November 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #5
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Yeah, I think what you're calling alive and responsive, I'm thinking of as jerky and not-smooth. ;o) To each his/her own. So do you stay in first until 10-11Krpm, then do the same with 2nd? (NOTE: I did notice a dead-spot from like 7.5K to like 9K in my throttle...but I've read in a few places that's normal for these engines)

It's true though--everything says these are high-rev engines, but I think coming from a Suzuki DS185 (starting at 13yrs old in 1985) and non-performance trucks/SUVs, it just feels weird to go over 6000rpm.
You've so got to get over that! 6000RPM is where the fun starts! Any jerkiness you feel is probably fixable but learning to be smoother on the throttle. I find it jerky sometimes, but I learn to make it smoother every day.

I don't rev past 10,000 RPM on ever gear up-change. What RPM I change at depends on how I feel and also my environment around me. I prefer to keep higher revs when I'm feeling excitable and what to ride a bit faster. I also change at higher RPMs when the roads are quite busy: gives me peace of mind to have access to the bikes great potential if I need it in a pinch.

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #6
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
The only performance mod I intend to make to my bike (probably just before next summer), is to install an Area P or Yoshi full exhaust system. I have similar ideas and concerns as Charlie: I don't want to prematurely wear-out the engine and I also feel that if I really do want much more power out of my Ninjette I should instead be thinking about upgrading to a 650CC bike instead.

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #7
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
@akima:It's true though--everything says these are high-rev engines, but I think coming from a Suzuki DS185 (starting at 13yrs old in 1985) and non-performance trucks/SUVs, it just feels weird to go over 6000rpm.

Yeah, sounds like you're just uncomfortable with keeping the engine in the powerband. Any engine is gonna be touchy in that band, cause you'll get more instant power, personally that's how I like it. It's common for people who are used to driving lower hp cars to feel uneasy about very revvy engines. I know it initially felt odd to me driving a modded civic after an LS1, but it wanted to be revved all the time.

As for mods, I have already bought a ton of them and haven't got my bike yet lol . Been modding cars for about 10 years, so as soon as I get home and get the bike, it's getting torn apart and rebuilt:

CustomLED Tail
Projekt D fender
Area P Full Race
K&N Filter, ripping all that stock crap off
Proton LED corners
Bi-xenon projector's for retrofit
Sato sliders
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
It sounds like you ride with very low revs. If you want more low speed power, then simply shift at higher RPMS.

When I'm traveling at 40MPH I'm usually in 4th gear, but sometimes I'm even in 3rd. The bike is running with high revs at that point and feels alive and responsive. I'm guessing that if you're traveling 40MPH all the way up in 6th gear then the revs are only at ~5000RPM. My bike doesn't feel responsive and nippy until I get to 6000RPM.
Nippy ....
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #9
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Zippy?

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #10
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Cut off my fender and installed a new horn already. So that's aesthetics and safety?. Got my new exhaust in today, should be installing that tonight. So I guess that's aesthetics and performance. I'm sure there are a lot less stock bikes than stock cars.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #11
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Ooooh yeah. I do want a new horn. Had a car horn on my '07, MUCH better than the "MEEP MEEP".

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #12
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Nippy ....
He he. Third definition here.

The definition starts out with: Chiefly British It's getting hard keeping track of all the words that we use but you guys don't

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #13
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

my mods are secret

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #14
saxnbass

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Ooooh yeah. I do want a new horn. Had a car horn on my '07, MUCH better than the "MEEP MEEP".
FIAMM Freeway Blaster Low Tone, very easy to swap out and sounds great, IMO.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #15
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Green/Black/White Ninja 250R

I bet a lot of the owners who prefer to just keep their bikes stock are the same ones who wouldn't bother becoming members of Ninjette.org. My friend Chantelle and I got our Ninjettes at the same time and she's totally happy with her OEM bike (doubt she will ever do any mods) and she never checks out websites like this.

I knew before I even got my bike that there were a few changes I would make if I got one, but reading about and seeing all the mods people have done on here inspires me to do many more than I ever would have on my own, without the influence of this site.

Old November 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #16
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

@akima: We just use the first "nippy" definition here--and I've always assumed it was a cold nipple reference.

--

@ForceofWill: I love those Proton LED corners...but $88 is a bit much for looks, when I already have a turn-signal that works. They look so great I could see myself getting them and justifying it, since they're ALSO running lights...and probably brighter than OEM. )

--

@Little Ghost: which windscreen is that? Do the after-market and double-bubbles send wind to your head, causing helmet buffeting (?) ? My windscreen really isn't usable, but the previous owner had "salt life" stickers all over it and it got messed up when I removed them. Now I have to go to microcosmpublishing.com or some other radically politically liberal and/or vegetarian website and get stickers to cover the windscreen mess OR get a new one.

I can't afford ANY of the legitimate company exhausts, so I'm looking at used and the knock-offs...but who knows if I'll get around to it. I may just do the shim thing and see how that feels.

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #17
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

My mods were more for comfort, safety, and fuel economy. Converted most lighting to LED, added brake only lights to the outer pods, LED bulbs in stock housings, and LED for the warning lights. Went up a tooth on the front sprocket and down a tooth in the rear to get my RPMs down under 9K when cruising 75mph. Foam grips for vibration, Mikesshields taller windscreen, and added an air horn. I've got a Corbin that I run for trips over 250 miles. My bike gets consistently in the mid to high 60's on gas mileage and the bike is comfortable on rides up to 820 miles, the longest I've ridden in a single day so far.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #18
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I tend to stick with changing how the bike looks and leave the mechanicals stock, mainly for reliability & longevity reasons. For instance, when I think about changing gear ratios & power output like you're considering, I can't help but think about what the repercussions might be. Clutch life comes to mind, since 1st gear will be taller and the engine will be putting out a bit more torque. Won't the clutch have to be slipped a little longer every time you accelerate from a stop? Maybe it's not enough of a ratio change to affect the clutch....just a thought.

As for the advantages of taller gearing, I would think that at most, you'll be saving yourself one upshift...maybe cruising around in 5th instead of 6th. That, to me wouldn't be worth the effort and cost of the chain, sprockets, etc.

I wouldn't mind power mods like intake and exhaust, but I'm paranoid of doing something that may cause the engine to run lean, which can be very destructive. I'm assuming it would mean riding the bike for a while, and pulling the spark plugs to read what's going on. That sounds like a pain, IMO. The small hp gains available doesn't seem worth a new exhaust, intake filtration and carb jetting to make sure the a/f ratio is right. So, my bikes pretty much remain stock, mechanically. If there was a big hp gain as a return on the investment, I'd give it more consideration.

For me, a fender eliminator is a must for any generation 250. I haven't seen much else for the previous-gen 250 that I've taken a liking to, other than some really nice custom paint jobs, which I don't see myself doing.
I feel the exact same way! Plus it hurts resale if you add performance mods. I think at some point I will sell my Ninja but I am still not sure. SO that is another reason I won't be adding performance mods. Only a fender delete for me. And I am not racing my bike so I see no point for the performance mods. No mod is going to make your ninjette that much quicker, sorry folks. I will be saving that mod money for my next bike and use my stock 250 to learn how to really ride.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #19
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:

Anyway. I'm thinking about doing different sprockets in order to not have to shift gears so much (I'm in 3rd before 20-25mph...and cruise in 6th at 40mph). However, to balance out the down-low torque I'll be losing, I figure I might as well do the shims and/or re-jet along with an exhaust.

I mainly want to (a) have more "usable" 1st and 2nd gears, and (b) have more--at least as much--torque down low if possible, since I do a lot of stop-n-go errands and RARELY go over 40mph (partly because I'm still new to the bike/street-riding, and partly because if I have to get on a highway or go somewhere more than 3 miles away, I'll take my truck).

What says the hive-mind?
I am guessing you haven't driven a low-powered manual car before, or any manual for that matter before getting your bike. I drive a manual transmission Honda Fit and I am very used to shifting in order to get through traffic. Regarding street riding: 1st gear is not a usable gear, it is mainly used to get going from a stop. Same with my car. I can even start in 2nd gear in my car. Not too easy on the bike because the neutral finder doesn't allow us to start in second. But you get the point. These gears are not made to be cruising in. Just keep your gearing the same but learn when to shift. I have no problem with my stock gearing on my ninja other than the fact I occasionally look for that 7th gear when going above 60mph. I think you're expecting our ninjas to cruise around town in second gear, well that isn't going to happen. What you are looking for is 600cc bike. My advice, just keep it stock and get used to shifting a lot! And keep the revs up higher. I never go below 6k while cruising.

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #20
EsrTek

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Mine has a few Aesthetic mods, but the engine is completely stock (w/ exception of the air filter which is aftermarket).
Personally I chose not to mod the bike as I planned on doing the 'upgrade' route, within max 2 yrs., plus as others said, the gains from those mods I felt not worth the money/time. However, if I end up keeping it for the 2012 season, I will put a Area P exhaust/jet kit on it (just so it sounds like a bike and not a 'electric lawn mower').
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #21
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I shift 1st to 3rd a lot in my truck...1 and 2 are useless, but I don't notice it as much as I do on the bike. I don't ever remember being so busy going up and down in gears from stop sign to stop sign on other bikes (granted, these were my dad's Harleys)...though I do cruise at 40mph in 6th gear a lot, the throttle response isn't great, but it's not unbearable...I prefer 40mph in 6th and downshifting if I need responsiveness over driving 40mph in 3rd or 4th and being able to gun it (which I'm not going to do anyway).

I'm gonna research the sprocket change more--see if it does tax the engine any more to have longer early gears. Yeah, I was planning on going to a used 650R in two years...but the more I ride this, the more I'm convinced that I don't need to upgrade (it's not like I push any limits, take any chances, go fast, etc...it's a just a scooter with dignity for me). ;o)

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #22
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I feel the exact same way! Plus it hurts resale if you add performance mods.
Modding 101: Return to stock and sell mods if you sell the vehicle.

No mod is going to make your ninjette that much quicker, sorry folks.
~10whp isn't noticable on a 20hp bike? 10whp is noticable on a 200whp car
I think it comes down to a fundamental difference in why you bought the bike. Some people bought one as a stepping stone to another bike and plan on dumping it as soon as they can get a 600. Others, myself included, picked the 250 because they love the bike, plan on keeping it a long time, and want to make the bike their own and get the most out of it.

This bike will do everything I want it to very well and with full bolt-ons is pretty quick. Maybe some people haven't been through the, "too much hp for the street," phase but I have. I got that bug out of my system a while ago. My single turbo supra would roast tires in nearly any gear. At some point you start to ask yourself, "is this even remotely needed?" Yeah, it's fun for a while, which is why I've had my share of fast cars but you hit a point where it's just ridiculous on the street. Most stock 600ss bikes are already that fast.

I'm fully at the point now where driving a great handling car that's decently fast is more fun than one where I easily could go to jail flooring it in 3rd. I'm one of those who wants to be the best possible rider I can, and smoke people on the twisties on the, "little 250."

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #23
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

My goal was to leave it stock for the first year to get use to it. I did add frame sliders and fender elim. The mods will start this winter.
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
OP I'm actually the opposite of you. When it's time for me to replace my chain and sprockets, I'm going 2+ in the back for easier access to my high rpms and a little quicker acceleration.

@cdallas: if you want the biggest bang for your buck on a performance mod and are worried about running lean, add 1 washer to your carb needles. It will actually get rid of the stock lean spot, and will smooth out the engine responses a little bit. Plus each washer costs around 2 cents. Sounds like good bang for your buck to me
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #25
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I've got some of both, though most of the mods were put on by the previous owner.

The previous owner put on a new windscreen, redone forks, a shock from a 600 Ninja, flush mount turn signals, LED tail light modulator, headlight modulator, full Yosh system. Clearly he has more imagination than me so far.

The only mods I've put on were handlebar risers and the bear bell that goes on all of my bikes. I do want to put on an air horn but haven't gotten to it yet.

Old November 15th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #26
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

No mods. All available funds went to gear after I bought the bike and if I spend more money on it, it is for maintenance. My funds are finite. I have other expensive hobbies besides motorcycling and I like to travel. Plus, I want to see if Suzuki and Yamaha enter the 250cc market with worthy products or I might just upgrade if I have an itch for more performance and modern tech. Right now, I like my Ninjette the way it is.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #27
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
I think it comes down to a fundamental difference in why you bought the bike. Some people bought one as a stepping stone to another bike and plan on dumping it as soon as they can get a 600. Others, myself included, picked the 250 because they love the bike, plan on keeping it a long time, and want to make the bike their own and get the most out of it.

This bike will do everything I want it to very well and with full bolt-ons is pretty quick. Maybe some people haven't been through the, "too much hp for the street," phase but I have. I got that bug out of my system a while ago. My single turbo supra would roast tires in nearly any gear. At some point you start to ask yourself, "is this even remotely needed?" Yeah, it's fun for a while, which is why I've had my share of fast cars but you hit a point where it's just ridiculous on the street. Most stock 600ss bikes are already that fast.

I'm fully at the point now where driving a great handling car that's decently fast is more fun than one where I easily could go to jail flooring it in 3rd. I'm one of those who wants to be the best possible rider I can, and smoke people on the twisties on the, "little 250."

If you are getting 10whp out of a few bolt-ons please share!?! I don't think this is true.

On the topic of getting the most out of having this bike, I am on the same page with that. Like you I want to be the best possible rider I can. This is why I started with this bike. I too believe having a great handling car is more fun than a very powerful car. The best combo is being a great driver with a great handling car! That's where the fun is. And my next bike will not be a 600. I will be getting a dual purpose or supermoto less than 400cc. They look like the most fun street/commuting bike! I want to be a hooligan. Speed isn't everything. That would get boring. It is obtaining skills that keeps me interested.

Old November 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #28
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Check Area-P's site for their Full Race exhaust with the 18" can. The bike they dyno has that plus the jet kit and a K&N put on, it's like 7whp above the stock exhaust with the K&N on that bike. There's a pic of the dyno on that page.

Old November 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@Jono : I think being a Hooligan would be fun, but only if the supermoto was a second bike. I feel like a supermoto is even less practical than the 250R and I would be sick of not having a windscreen or the ability to go more than 120 miles before filling up. I would 100% get one as a second bike though; just for fun

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #30
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
@Jono : I think being a Hooligan would be fun, but only if the supermoto was a second bike. I feel like a supermoto is even less practical than the 250R and I would be sick of not having a windscreen or the ability to go more than 120 miles before filling up. I would 100% get one as a second bike though; just for fun
Eh I don't think those things would bother me. I haven't taken a trip on my Ninja yet so the tank size on supermotos doesn't bother me at this time. As for the windscreen, well the ninja isn't great at blocking the wind. But I am 6ft 1in so that might be my problem. I hardly ever get on the interstate either to experience high winds so I think I am a perfect candidate to be a hooligan! But I need to save up for a used drz400sm. So I will be riding my 2fiddy for 2+ more years! Not complaining, I love this bike.

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #31
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I think modding is part of the hobby and obsession.

I prefer to modify something to be what the factory could produce if they were not restricted. Clean, tasteful, and functional.

Every now and then I like to do something a little wild but I still try to keep it discrete looking so it fits in my ideal model.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #32
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Most of my modifications (aside from clip-ons and slip-ons) are to make the ride more comfortable or safer. Bright flashing lights, fluorescent yellow vinyl, HID+Projector Retrofit, and heated grips. When it comes to the 250, what has previously been said is true; no mod will make us go faster. Maybe play with gear ratio to get more fuel economy, add in some USB Power, maybe include a new windscreen to make it more touring friendly. Practicality is where I'm coming from.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 250, and I loved it at the track, but the tracks nearby are all too big to really enjoy the competition. I'd rather move to a 6XX for the track, and the 250 on the road.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #33
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

All of my mods so far are aesthetic. Waiting for factory warranty to expire before I install a full exhaust and jet the carbs.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 02:31 AM   #34
vince_2149
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Not sure where to vote since I consider most of the mods that I would install "aesthetic" but some would consider them "performance".
So far I've installed an undertail, double bubble, and adjustable levers. However I still want to install a slip-on. That is where the differentiation starts however, as I consider a slip-on purely aesthetic as it only changes the looks and sounds and has very little if any effect on performance. After that, just frame sliders would complete the package. So I'll vote purely aesthetic since shimming my carbs later one will, again, not really qualify as a "performance" mod.
vince_2149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #35
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Quote:

Hahaha this made me laugh, 4th gear at 40mph on my bike is a nice 4000RPMs and is the sweet spot for city riding, perfect amount of torque to accelerate as much as the city requires. Guess thats what an extra 250ccs gets ya :P If I had a 250 that thing would see redline quite often, can't do that on the good ol 500 or she'll break
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 12:50 AM   #36
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Hahaha this made me laugh

http://www.ex-500.com/

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #37
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Green/Black/White Ninja 250R

@evi1joe- The clear windscreen in some of my pictures is from when I very first purchased the bike. I thought it looked really nerdy so I removed it and put on the black one that's in my other pictures. I never even rode the bike out of a parking lot with the clear one, so I couldn't tell you how much it helps with the wind.

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #38
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I guess you be the judge... I would say both, but honestly more aestetics than performance:

Completed Installed Mods:
Michelin Pilot One Tires 150/60 Rear 110/70 Front - $60 (racebikerentals.com)
Puig Dark Smoke Double Bubble - $30.00 (fatbikez.com)
Woodcraft Clipons - $162.00 (hotmotostore.com)
Pazzo Adjustable Shorty Levers - $179.99 (solomotoparts.com)
Pro Grip Art 725 Evo MX Grips - $14.99 (motorcycle-superstore.com)
Sato Racing Long Style Bar Ends - $32.00 (satoracing.com)
Proton Flushmount Turn Signals - $84.00 (fatbikez.com)
Customized AreaP/Dynojet Kit - $97.82 (areapnolimits.com)
K&N R-0990 Universal Rubber Filter - $30.11 (amazon.com)
Uni Filter UP-104 5/8" Clamp-On Breather - $13.07 (amazon.com)
Billet Emissions Block Off Plate - $20.42 (sportisimoto-usa.com)
Shogun 3 Piece Crash Kit - $189.00 (hotmotostore.com)
Monster Energy Black Fire Tank Pad - $27.95 (immortalgraphix.com)
Luimoto Seat Covers - $183.00 (luimoto.com)
Hotbodies Racing Smoked Undertail - $116.99 (motorcycle-superstore.com)
Sportisi Carbon Fiber Hugger and Swingarm Cover - $285.00 (sportisimoto-usa.com)
Yoshimura TRC CF Full Exhaust - $565.88 (biohazardcycles.com)
Bikelitez Integrated LED Taillight - $75.00 (ebay.com)
Powerstands License Plate Bracket - $65.66 (kneedraggers.com)

TOTAL $ Invested w/o shipping on currently installed mods: $2,232.88

Overall, it's just a fun bike to play with and I hate having any vehicle that someone might pull up next to me and be identical to it... I've always been that way. I have several other mods in mind and they too are mostly aestetic mods. To each their own... thats why this is such a fun place
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #39
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I really don't want to do the math on the mods for the RC51...might make me cry.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #40
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
I think modding is part of the hobby and obsession.

I prefer to modify something to be what the factory could produce if they were not restricted. Clean, tasteful, and functional.

Every now and then I like to do something a little wild but I still try to keep it discrete looking so it fits in my ideal model.
This is exactly what I follow when I modify my bike. I do things to it, but keep it tasteful and make it what it should have been OEM.