ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Name: Suzanne

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Bowling for Buzzards

I like to tell stories of truthful events, so here we go:

It was a crisp Sunday afternoon when my husband and I took a ride to Caddo-LBJ National Grasslands (45 min. west of Denton, Tx). I noticed several car struck deer that were placed way off the side of the road. They looked strange as they had no hair on them and were pink - thinking they been baking in the sun for a while or picked over by buzzards. I guess buzzards like to de-feather them before eating - ha. Anyway, I was leading our ride and just topped a hill where there was another deer just over the hill right off the road that was covered with about 10 buzzards. Being on the other side of the hill, the buzzards didn't hear or see us coming. Now, buzzard have got to be the slowest in taking flight. As they were launching into the air, they chose the direction right in front of my bike.

It is amazing how many decision scenario's can go through your brain in less than 2 seconds and at 60mph.
1. Slam on my brakes (No, my husband will run into me)
2. Veer off the road to the right on the grass, possibly hitting the deer (No, a 100% for sure wreck)
3. Get in the tuck position so the birds don't knock me off my bike or do damage to my body with their claws if sitting upright.

I choose door #3 - I got way down with my head behind my windshield and went bowling for buzzards, plowing right through them. I think I got a STRIKE!, as they hit my helmet and scattered.

I pulled over as soon as I could and waited for my husband laughing and said, "Did you see that?" He said, "Are you alright? Wow, I saw all these black feathers flying through the air. I think you maimed a couple of them. They were, if you will, limping through the air with one falling back down on the ground."

No damage to me or the bike, but - thank you Oh Most Higher Power for watching out for me. Those prayers before riding really work as this was crazy escape #2.

THE END
Ninjamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #2
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

True stories are the best...THANKS for the good laugh!

Oh and more important, glad you are OK!

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #3
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Awesome.

Though in all seriously, if you hit some with your helmet, you might want to get it checked by the manufacturer to make sure they didn't do any damage.

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
You took the right decision !!!

Yes, buzzards are known for taking off across the road from the carcass, accurately timing the oncoming bike.

Their other favorite pastime is to fly across high bridges in the countryside but at the perfect level to strike any biker.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Motofool - your profile picture was my exact position. What a great story and fun experience to come through and tell about it - since I'm such a newbie in experienced riding (so far).

Old February 19th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

It seems that you are a "natural" for riding and reflexes; you will gain experience in a safe manner.

At 60 mph, that big bird would have cleanly knocked you off your bike.

Much smaller birds have left a painful memory to me.

Old February 21st, 2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
It seems that you are a "natural" for riding and reflexes; you will gain experience in a safe manner.

At 60 mph, that big bird would have cleanly knocked you off your bike.
So I've been told. A friend of mine says I'm one with the universe or nature (something like that) as I seem to be able to catch anything that falls in my peripheral vision (like out of a cabinet or anything that drops un-expectedly). Thankful for those reflexes!!!

I had stated in the buzzard escape, that there was another bizarre escape:

I was going 60mph again down a busy FM road with no shoulder and saw a old man on a bicycle (very wobbly) about 1/4 mile in front. I thought, "This guy is insane for riding his bike on this high traffic road." I slowed to about 50mph to pick a good spot to go around safely with a big truck behind me and on coming traffic. I get within 30 yards of him and he puts out his left hand to signal a left turn (in front of me). He didn't even look behind him to see if it was clear.

Again, the split second scenarios's
1. Slamming on my brakes (No, the truck behind me is too close)
2. Going around (No, on-coming traffic and don't know when he will make his move to turn and the shoulder is gravel and trees)
3. Speed up to get next to him before he is in the middle of the road, honk my horn and move him over.

Door #3 - again - was the choice. I think I scared him half to death as he veered quickly off the road to the right. I think I saved his life more than mine as this scenario would definitely caused an accident. Hopefully, he will think twice before riding his bike on such a busy hwy - But I don't know, he didn't look to have all his marbles.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamomma View Post
..........I think I saved his life more than mine as this scenario would definitely caused an accident.......
Either your bike or the truck behind would have hit him.

Again, your reaction was correct.

If you have not read it yet, I recommend the book "Proficient Motorcycling":

http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot.../dp/1889540536

It is a magnificent book and you have the natural conditions to make the best use of it.

Check this video as well:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124229

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Blystr842
Venom Sponsored

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R x2 (his & hers), 05 Honda CRF250R

Wow, awesome story!

Glad you came out safe

Old February 25th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #10
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Nicely done ninja momma!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #11
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Ahahaha! that's to much. Glad you're OK and came away with two great stores!
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote