ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 19th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #1
oompa
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

changing tires

Should I try to change the tires myself or just take it in and pay some guy to do it? if i do it myself, how do i do it? I was reading and saw that i need to get crow bars and wheel mounting fluid, but im still uncertain as to how to get it on and balance it.
oompa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
take your wheels off and take the wheels and new tires to cycle gear. they will change and balance them for free for you while you browse their gear.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
take your wheels off and take the wheels and new tires to cycle gear. they will change and balance them for free for you while you browse their gear.
Heed Alex's advice if you need tires soon, don't have the tools, have never removed/replaced your own tires, and you don't want to scratch the crap out of your rims. Otherwise, a too-long read on advice and things to buy if/when you want to do it yourself:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...4&postcount=28
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa View Post
...........I was reading and saw that i need to get crow bars and wheel mounting fluid, but im still uncertain as to how to get it on and balance it.
You should consider also a flat clean surface to work plus some space to deploy the tools and the wheel horizontally.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #5
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

tires are the most important thing on your bike. i wouldnt mess around with doing it yourself if you arent comfortable.

i just got new tires myself and am taking them and the bike right to the shop for them to do it. no way am i going to risk doing something that I have no idea how to do correctly.

just pay the cash.
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #6
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
if i bring the bike to them will they do it for free? i didnt even know i had a cycle gear near me till i just googled it.

they are only like 10 mins from me.
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

cyclegear does it for free..? the one near me charges 20bucks per tire after taking both off.

Last futzed with by Aggrotech; April 20th, 2014 at 01:50 AM.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
cycle gear isn't a shop so they wont take your wheels off for you.

and they are not supposed to charge you anything. it is a free service from cyclegear. unless they recently changed it's been that way for years.

Old April 21st, 2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Foxrider64
Hello Moto

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1975 RD350; 2001 KX125; 2003 Z1000; 2003 KDX50; 2009 ZX6R; 2011 Ninja 250R; 2014 KX250F

Quote:
cycle gear isn't a shop so they wont take your wheels off for you.

and they are not supposed to charge you anything. it is a free service from cyclegear. unless they recently changed it's been that way for years.
That might be a hook up you have-

They are supposed to charge you for removal of old tires and mounting of new tires- purchased there or not.

The balancing is free though. I used to mount my own tires and then take to them for high speed balancing for free- until they gouged a practically brand new wheel using a screw driver to remove the old stick on weights. I then bought my own, old school bearing balancer.
Foxrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote