ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Do you think my car will be totalled?

So I was driving to NJ on the PA turnpike on Friday night (7/3). Minding my own business in the right lane doing the speed limit when I notice lights in my mirror and they are closing ridiculously fast. I tried to get out of the way but didn't quite make it.

The other driver was arrested at the scene, for being under the influence of something (weren't sure what, but it wasn't alcohol).

I haven't gotten an estimate yet, as I'm still trying to contact the state trooper about some problems with the report. He didn't fill in insurance info for myself or the other driver, and wrote "No" in the insurance block for both of us. I have insurance, and hope the other driver did too, but the trooper isn't on again until Wed. so I have to wait until then to find out.

As I'm sure is the case with most of you a million things are running through my mind, but the big one is are they going to total my car. It is a 98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with 158,000 miles (KBB $5640 retail), so that isn't helping things any.

Here are the pictures.

camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Well the damage doesnt look too serious, but they might total it considering its value.
Good luck and glad you were not hurt.
Or do you have a neck injury? you might want to consult a doctor (if you have insurance) as sometimes these things take time to show themselfs.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
camaroz1985

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Yeah I know that age and mileage on the car are not on it's side.

I don't have any pain, but I thought about going to the doctor anyway.

Actually on my way after the accident I started to get this funny feeling in my left arm and foot. When I got to my friend's house I found a tick on my arm and foot. After I took them off I felt fine.

Old July 7th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I'm glad that you feel ok but you should still have a doctor check you out. It doesn't hurt now but it may later and by that time it will be worse than finding it now.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #5
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I would have to say it'll most likely be totaled. The damage doesn't look too bad and there really doesn't look like there's that much to be replaced, however the labor that your going to have to pay for the side panel to be replaced. There is a TON of LONG hours they will charge you for that panel because of everything that has to be removed first just to get to it. Also, I don't think they will value your car at 5,600, they will prob value it at 4000 if your lucky.
Sorry to say, but I think it's going to be totaled.

Old July 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #6
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

not the subie! that sucks - but it looks like you've done a lot of after-market work done, so that might help....
on the bright side, the new WRX is supposed to have way more power this year, so you could always upgrade I guess...
I'm so so sorry

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #7
camaroz1985

I'm not really interested in another car as this is also my race car. I will have to try to buy it back if it is totalled as I have too much invested into it (WRX engine swap, rollcage, suspension, etc.).

Are there any insurance companies that won't let you buy back a totalled car?

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #8
noche_caliente

I think you can buy it back, but most states will not allow you to register a salvage vehicle - so you'd have to trailer it to races, but then again, you're probably already doing that...

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #9
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

You'll probably be totalled. They will give you the Cars value minus your deductable. Then you can usually pay a salvage fee to keep your car. If that is the case, Most insurance companies want way too much for the salvage fee. Call some local junkyards and get them to quote how much they would give your for your car. (Probably about $75). If that is the case, then you can fight with the insurance company to get them to lower the salvage fee. That should leave you with about $5,000 which should be more than enough to fix the car, especially if you can find junk yard parts and just do a cheep MAACO paint job.

My wife totalled a 96 Grand Prix. after deductable and salvage fee I got $3,300 and fixed it for only $1,200.

If the dude didn't have insurance, hope you had uninsured motorist coverage on your policy, because sueing the guy probably won't get you a dime, since he may be put in jail, have court fees and lawyer fees since he was charged with a DUI.

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #10
camaroz1985

I do have uninsured/underinsured coverage, but hopefully that won't be a problem at all, and hopefully I will be going through his insurance company so I won't have to pay the deductible.

Kim I know that you can't register a salvage vehicle but you can get a reconstructed title and register it then. I actually don't trailer it to races which is probably going to change soon.

Basically what it comes down to is if I can't buy it back for some reason, then I won't file the claim (or withdraw my claim) because I can make way more by parting it out. I don't want it to come to that, but if need be financially that is what I will have to do.

To think if that didn't smoke/snort/shoot (or whatever) and drive I wouldn't be in this situation.

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #11
noche_caliente

Ryan - I don't know how you didn't throttle him to death - I know I probably would not have been able to restrain myself if someone hurt my WRX. I LOVE that car, probably even more than the bike, but shhhhhh don't tell the bike that... she is a close second at least!

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #12
camaroz1985

Believe me I wanted to. He didn't get out of his car until the police arrived. I guess he could tell how angry I was.

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #13
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Wow bummer that happened!! Glad you are okay though!

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Take whatever insurance gives you and then sue him for the rest :P
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #15
elars
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): None

It's not looking good. Typically, it's not so much what the car is worth, it's more if the damage done would cost more than 40% or so of the value of the car to repair. I don't know real values for your car and the parts damaged precisely, nor can I tell to what extent everything is damaged, but look at it like this: Can it be fixed for $2500?

Something to consider, if it's also a race car, has anything been bent to where it would affect the chassis and everything as you're racing it? Alignment, body alignment, torsional forces twist up your frame any? If the frame and body alignment is all alright, panels and parts can be replaced as new and be fine, but if the body has to be stretched or what not, it's prolly not gonna perform like a solid race car anymore. I'm not suspecting much from the picture, but it's up to the appraiser basically.

Best of luck bud.
elars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #16
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Look at the bright side. At least he hit you like that in the car instead of on the bike. Had you been on the bike there might not be a you here let alone the bike.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #17
camaroz1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by elars View Post
It's not looking good. Typically, it's not so much what the car is worth, it's more if the damage done would cost more than 40% or so of the value of the car to repair. I don't know real values for your car and the parts damaged precisely, nor can I tell to what extent everything is damaged, but look at it like this: Can it be fixed for $2500?

Something to consider, if it's also a race car, has anything been bent to where it would affect the chassis and everything as you're racing it? Alignment, body alignment, torsional forces twist up your frame any? If the frame and body alignment is all alright, panels and parts can be replaced as new and be fine, but if the body has to be stretched or what not, it's prolly not gonna perform like a solid race car anymore. I'm not suspecting much from the picture, but it's up to the appraiser basically.

Best of luck bud.
There doesn't seem to be any damage that affects the chassis or suspension, though I did see a small cut and paint on the rear wheel from where the car touched it so I will have to look at that. The rollcage ties into the suspension mounting points so that should still be solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Look at the bright side. At least he hit you like that in the car instead of on the bike. Had you been on the bike there might not be a you here let alone the bike.
Very true. That was my first thought as well. I almost did, but had to take some cylinder heads that I was selling to someone. I spent all day thursday and friday working on my car (new wheel bearings and suspension bushings), and if I didn't get it done in time would have taken the bike. I was very lucky.

Old July 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #18
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

So, has your insurance company inspected your car, yet?
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #19
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

I'm glad you weren't hurt, but go to the doctor just in case. Pain can come out of nowhere after any accident...
As for the car ... Oh No! Bummer!
BUT ... I had a red Chevy Cavalier once, and got hit in the front. Car was worth about $3000 at the time (KBB) and there was $2200 in body damage, but the insurance company payed to fix it instead of totalling the car. I was shocked, but pleased I loved that car. It's dead now though, met it's end during Hurricane Hugo in September 1989. Cars and falling trees don't mix...
Keep your fingers crossed and TALK to you agent, best advice I can offer.
(since it was offered to me as well)

Good Luck!
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #20
camaroz1985

My car hasn't been looked at yet. I'm still dealing with the state police trying to get insurance information from the other driver. He was supposed to send it in, but hasn't yet, and the trooper was supposed to check into it yesterday but never got back to me. I could file with my company, but would have to pay the deductible (which they could get back from his company if he has one). This is all very frustrating as I just want to know what is going on so I can get my car fixed.

I still have not been to the doctor either, but may try to schedule that for next week.

Old July 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #21
camaroz1985

Just found out the other driver doesn't have insurance for sure. Will be taking it for an estimate shortly.

Old July 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #22
noche_caliente

I'm so sorry Ryan - that really sucks!

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #23
Duvivr6
ninjette.org member

Name: Duvi

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Special Ed

damn dude that sux those are hard to come by!! I wish I never sold my 98 RS

you can always buy it back and maken it a dedicated track car!
Duvivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #24
camaroz1985

Yeah it sucks, but as long as I can get the money to fix it I don't really care too much. I will def. buy it back if its totalled, and may make it a track car, or get a reconstructed title for it.

I found a donor car that I can cut whatever I need out of for $20. Got a bumper for $60 and a tail light for $35. I'm ready to start the work whenever I get the money from my insurance company.

Old July 18th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #25
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Any news yet?
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #26
camaroz1985

Estimate came back on friday of $5269.82. Insurance company is deciding whether to total it or not. They say that because they know that I want to keep the car (or buy it back if it is totalled) that if it is close to the threshold they won't total it. I'm still waiting to hear back. They say 2-3 days. This whole process takes too long. It has been 2 and a half weeks since the accident.

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #27
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Keep your fingers crossed!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:11 AM   #28
camaroz1985

They are totalling it. They will give me $3922.20 if they keep the car, $2446.92 if I keep it. I told them to keep checking on the salvage price of the car because I don't think they will get $1475.28 for it. Most people I have seen have said salvage was like $500 or so.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:21 AM   #29
tjkamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
They are totalling it. They will give me $3922.20 if they keep the car, $2446.92 if I keep it. I told them to keep checking on the salvage price of the car because I don't think they will get $1475.28 for it. Most people I have seen have said salvage was like $500 or so.
Call all your local junk yards and get written quotes. Then tell the adjuster the salvage fee is too high. Ask him where he intends to get $1,500 for the vehicle. When he tells you the name of the junk yard. Pull out your written quote and tell him he is full of ****.

I did this when my wifes Grand Prix got totalled. They dropped the salvage fee from $750 to $175.

Good luck.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:40 AM   #30
noche_caliente

That sucks. I am so sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM   #31
camaroz1985

Thanks Kim. It isn't so bad. I bought a Land Rover to tow it with and if I have to can make it just a race car, but I will probably try to get a reconstructed title for it.

Old July 24th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #32
camaroz1985

I called around to 5 yards and go quotes of $125-275. I guess this is what will be my bargaining chip to the insurance company. Was hoping to have this resolved by today, as I am going on vacation next week, but I don't see that happening.

Old July 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #33
tjkamper

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Old July 24th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #34
noche_caliente

Old August 10th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #35
camaroz1985

Update:

Finally got the insurance company to look into lowering the salvage value. They lowered it to $250 (from $1475!!!). I also got the detailed estimate and saw that the body shop wanted $2000 in parts alone to fix it. That seems way too high (especially because they would be using all salvage parts), so I'm getting another estimate. It would be nice to get one that wasn't going to total the car so I wouldn't have to deal with getting a reconstructed title and all that.

Old August 14th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #36
camaroz1985

Ok so now I have to make a decision.

I got the other estimate it was $2805. I would get $2305 from the insurance company (I haven't submitted it yet though, wanted to get some of your opinions), or I could take the original estimate, get a salvage title and get $3650.

What would you do get the lower amount and clean title, or high amount and salvage title?

Old August 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #37
noche_caliente

Personally I'd string the guy that did it up from his balls, and then I'd go for the lower amount and the clean title. I'm sure you can do much of the work yourself, so it will probably come out about the same either way... I just wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with a salvage title.

Old August 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #38
camaroz1985

That's what I'm leaning toward too, though I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, if I do have to it would be better. The body shop already said I could bring my own parts, which should cut about $700 off the price (I already have the light, and bumper, can get any metal I need for $20 if I go cut it out myself.)

Old August 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #39
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I'd have to agree with going for the clean title and lower amount. You have already proven you can do alot of the work yourself and have connections to get what you need for low cost. With your skills and connections you will have less trouble rebuilding your car then rebuilding the title. Paperwork and legalities are bad on their own, combine the two and you eventually feel like drilling a hole in your head to release the pressure buildup lol.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #40
camaroz1985

I'm going to submit the lower estimate and see what happens. The headaches just aren't worth the extra cash. Guess I was being a bit greedy