ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Pictures

Notices

Old November 21st, 2015, 12:12 PM   #1
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
My "EX250 Wannabe" EX500

As my user title states, I've been cramming 250 parts into my 500 for a while. It started with the mirrors, which are a direct bolt-on and provide much better visibility. I've been playing with a NewGen throttle tube to shorten the throw. I bought a set of the VRossi wheels, and decided to swap in the swingarm along with it (as the stocker would require some minor modding anyway, and there are some improvements in the NewGen's design too). I've got the EX300 chainguard/hugger stuck on that.

This is one of the pics from the dealer's ad when I bought it (complete with mismatched tank).

Here's an older pic of the bike, before the new wheels.

Here's my latest decent pic of her, with the new wheels and exhaust.

I strive for my mods to be tasteful and professional-looking, so that someone could easily think it came that way from the factory. I really like how I've made my bike unique, but I think I managed to keep it "OEM-level" at the same time.

Here's to the ugly '90s-style big brother of the Ninjette family!

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old November 21st, 2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2015, 09:43 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:29 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Is that a full floating front rotor? I think so.

I've also used Kawasaki parts from other models, to keep that OEM look on both the Ninjette and EX500, while improving the bikes.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2015, 08:29 PM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Is that a full floating front rotor? I think so.
I know you're aware of this, but for everyone else... The 500 is known for warping the brake rotor in normal usage. When you take it off the wheel, it's likely you'll have to massage it (i.e. hammer it flat) to get it back on. I didn't want to deal with that during my wheel swap, so I decided to buy a new rotor (and rotor bolts) to go with the new wheel. Going with the floater means the braking forces are isolated from the mounting hub, so I can avoid the warpage problems in the future too. EBC doesn't seem to have a great rep here, but it's the go-to for the 500.

Since I didn't have that many miles on the bike, I left the original pads on at first. With just the new rotor and no other brake changes, I didn't really notice any difference. Shortly before taking the final pic (during the washing), I decided to finally install the EBC HH sintered pads. I didn't completely tear down the caliper, but I did thoroughly clean the pistons of all the accumulated grime. Even with the stock line and fluid, the new pads do feel better. I didn't really think the stockers were bad per se, but the EBC pads and rotor do seem to give more feeling. I don't know if it actually stops any better, but it seems like there's more lever throw between 0% and 100%, making it easier to select a precise level of braking.

FYI, the EX500 uses the same brake rotor bolt pattern as the NewGen, but it's a smaller diameter disc (280mm vs. 295mm I believe). I haven't looked into it at all, but it wouldn't surprise me if the caliper/bracket swapped over directly (though it could just as easily mount in a completely different location on the fork leg too).

I'd really like to remove the helmet lock tabs (since I already removed the helmet locks) for dat gap, but that's a little more permanent than the other stuff I've done so far. My only non-bolt-on changes at this point are drilling the forks for drain screws and adding a voltage meter LED in one of the unused indicator spots in the dash.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2015, 09:14 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I think PreGen Ninjette, and 1st Gen EX use the same rotor, I'll have to check that out to be 100% sure.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #7
GixSixR1S3Ninj
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I've always thought the ex500 just has perfect classic sport bike proportions
GixSixR1S3Ninj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper