ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Boots

Are there any motorcycle specific boots that are actually comfortable to wear around once you're off the bike? And don't make you look like a power ranger/storm trooper?

And no I'm not trying to be a squid, I definitely believe in ATGATT. But, at the same time wearing racing boots in town or like around the mall or something is at least a little dorky... I just want something that is safe, and preferably made for riding, that also looks at least semi good/casual. If not a guess throwing a pair of shoes in a bag will have to do.
himynameisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #2
namdamyo
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r SE green/black

I have a pair of Icon Accelerant waterproof boots. The top has a strap that locks in your ankle, but if you undo it you get some nice flexibility.
They're still boots, so you're not going to get the comfort of a walking shoe, but I've found myself wearing them rather then my regular shoes when its really wet or snowy outside!
namdamyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #3
249cc
QrtLtrDog

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '09 250

I have the same problem...only I don't mind the look. I mind the SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK HERE COMES THE BAD ASS
249cc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #4
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

icon field armor boots. love them for everyday use.

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #5
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

http://bit.ly/WRJ3ZP

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #6
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.chin View Post
O really? What is this google that you're using? I've never even heard of a search engine before! HOLY ****! So all this time I could have just been asking this google thing questions? Wow, this is incredible! You have brought such knowledge to me and my people! I can't wait to tell the village about this! I must go now, it's time to start the fires in our smoke single tower!

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #7
249cc
QrtLtrDog

Quote:
Yeah, I've google'd "Riding BOOTS that don't make you sound like a loser wherever you go" and I get nothing. I too am very interested in this question.

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #8
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by namdamyo View Post
I have a pair of Icon Accelerant waterproof boots. The top has a strap that locks in your ankle, but if you undo it you get some nice flexibility.
They're still boots, so you're not going to get the comfort of a walking shoe, but I've found myself wearing them rather then my regular shoes when its really wet or snowy outside!
Hmm I'll look into them, definitely like the idea of having them waterproof as I plan to pretty much ride year round!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 249cc View Post
I have the same problem...only I don't mind the look. I mind the SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK HERE COMES THE BAD ASS
haha O lord... this happens? Though I've dealt with squeaky Jordan's before so I suppose I could make it work. Sometimes to cover up the sound I just cough every time I step! Then I become a public service announcement to the children about why smoking is bad and how much it sucks to have smokers cough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
icon field armor boots. love them for everyday use.
Will also look into these as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 249cc View Post
Yeah, I've google'd "Riding BOOTS that don't make you sound like a loser wherever you go" and I get nothing. I too am very interested in this question.
It's amazing how this google thing he keeps on about only seems to bring you to sites selling products... he must have a special version or something?

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I wear my Sidi boots everywhere. They are not top of the line hence I dont mind the soles being wore down a little bit by walking.

However, walking in moto boots is very uncomfortable and frankly, my feet hurt after a while. So if I know I need to walk for a bit, I carry my sneakers in my backpack.

And wearing moto boots means -
1. girls check you out
2. they think you are either
----a. Badass (or)
----b. Douchebag

Frankly, I can't care less. I've watched movies at the theater in full leathers and boots (Incase you are wondering - Yes, I took off my helmet and gloves…lol). I go grocery shopping in full leathers. I feel like a ass
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
I wear my Sidi boots everywhere. They are not top of the line hence I dont mind the soles being wore down a little bit by walking.

However, walking in moto boots is very uncomfortable and frankly, my feet hurt after a while. So if I know I need to walk for a bit, I carry my sneakers in my backpack.

And wearing moto boots means -
1. girls check you out
2. they think you are either
----a. Badass (or)
----b. Douchebag

Frankly, I can't care less. I've watched movies at the theater in full leathers and boots (Incase you are wondering - Yes, I took off my helmet and gloves…lol). I go grocery shopping in full leathers. I feel like a ass
I'm glad you said about the helmet and gloves... because I would have wondered

Now what do you mean about sole wear from walking? Does it mess them up to walk in them? Or is just like any other sole and after a while it will wear out from being walked on?

As far as the girl side effects... girls aren't exactly my thing (and I'm happily taken for, that is the first and last time that will be brought up here though, because this is a motorcycle forum. We're all here because we like motorcycles. So hopefully that isn't some crazy issue haha.)

Also our names look kind of similar from a glance. Just saying, it threw me off for a second!

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #11
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

I've had a girl pull my off my bike and start sucking my cock because I was wearing my Sidi Cobra Airs.

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #12
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

I think moto boots do not have a very deep etched sole, hence they tend to wear out faster. Since the soles are not designed for walking, I think walking makes them wear out faster.

This is the sole of my boot. It has roughly 1.3K miles on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121110_203602.jpg (91.4 KB, 7 views)

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #13
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Quote:
I've had a girl pull my off my bike and start sucking my cock because I was wearing my Sidi Cobra Airs.
Time to invest in Sidi Cobra Airs

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #14
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I think moto boots do not have a very deep etched sole, hence they tend to wear out faster. Since the soles are not designed for walking, I think walking makes them wear out faster.

This is the sole of my boot. It has roughly 1.3K miles on it
This makes sense... haha but honestly most of the prices on these things from what I've seen aren't that much worse than a normal shoe. So if they wear out, they wear out. Do any of these companies give you the option of re-soling? I know a lot of high-end leather boots do. But I think it would look at least a tad out of place riding on a ninja in like redwings or something.

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #15
249cc
QrtLtrDog

Quote:
Time to invest in Sidi Cobra Airs
Second'd

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #16
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
This makes sense... haha but honestly most of the prices on these things from what I've seen aren't that much worse than a normal shoe. So if they wear out, they wear out. Do any of these companies give you the option of re-soling? I know a lot of high-end leather boots do. But I think it would look at least a tad out of place riding on a ninja in like redwings or something.
Hmm… Never thought of re-soleing. If the top half is in good shape, resoling would be a very cost effective option. I know some high end boots come with replaceable soles. I think the Sidi Vortice has that option.

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #17
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hmm… Never thought of re-soleing. If the top half is in good shape, resoling would be a very cost effective option. I know some high end boots come with replaceable soles. I think the Sidi Vortice has that option.
Yeah a friend of mine had the same boots for like 15 years, he just kept getting the re-soled when they wore out. But seeing as he tends to ride bikes like these:

These kind of fit with the look.

Old November 10th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #18
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

icon boots i suggested have a thick sole. very comfy

Old November 11th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #19
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I have Dainese Torque Out boots. LOVE THEM!!!! Very comfortable on and off the bike. And they look nice and clean. I walk around in them with no issues. No motorcycle boot is going to be as comfy as walking around in athletic shoes. You just have to realize that. Anywho, get some Dainese boots!

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #20
red5
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Been happy with these.

A* Web Gore-Tex

Not too flashy and pretty comfortable walking around.

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #21
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Well I think I need to make a trip to Revzilla and try some of these suggestions on! The only good thing I can think of about living in PA.

Thanks for the help everyone!! It really is much appreciated!

Old November 14th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #22
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
You have a revzilla near you...dude.

Old November 14th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #23
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
Well I think I need to make a trip to Revzilla and try some of these suggestions on! The only good thing I can think of about living in PA.

Thanks for the help everyone!! It really is much appreciated!
Kinda late in chiming in - the guys at Revzilla might also recommend their 2011 Zilla award boot - the Dainese TRQ Tour GoreTex. Looks like this (the boot on the left):

The boot on the right is Jono's boot, the Torque Pro Out D-WP (waterproof). Got that one from Dainese SF on closeout (~$260+Taxes), might be closing out as well at Revzilla. Doing most of my riding in the TRQ Tour, broke in quickly on arrival. I wouldn't go hiking with them but they are pretty comfortable on and off the bike (walk in the park etc). Both of these boots have a velcro calf adjustment feature if you have thinner or bigger calves, a selling point for me.

Aside from the metal sliders as the difference, the Torque Pro Out is still new so I can't comment on them. These boots are pricey though but with Revzilla in your backyard, you'll have plenty of other brands to choose from!
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #24
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
You have a revzilla near you...dude.
haha yeah, well it's like an hour and some odd minutes away. But that doesn't bother me, give me something to do when I'm bored! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
Kinda late in chiming in - the guys at Revzilla might also recommend their 2011 Zilla award boot - the Dainese TRQ Tour GoreTex. Looks like this (the boot on the left):

The boot on the right is Jono's boot, the Torque Pro Out D-WP (waterproof). Got that one from Dainese SF on closeout (~$260+Taxes), might be closing out as well at Revzilla. Doing most of my riding in the TRQ Tour, broke in quickly on arrival. I wouldn't go hiking with them but they are pretty comfortable on and off the bike (walk in the park etc). Both of these boots have a velcro calf adjustment feature if you have thinner or bigger calves, a selling point for me.

Aside from the metal sliders as the difference, the Torque Pro Out is still new so I can't comment on them. These boots are pricey though but with Revzilla in your backyard, you'll have plenty of other brands to choose from!
Thanks for the help! You're never too late haha All the help I can get, I'll take! I'll definitely keep these in mind! I actually kinda like boots with the metal sliders. They look cooler!

Old November 15th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #25
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

I have Spidi VR6 boots...very happy with their comfort on and off the bike. They are a healthy mix of sport and racing. I've walked a lot in them so far, and they are holding up great, 6000 miles on the boot and they are just a little bit dirty.

As far as looking crazy, you can wear your jeans over your boots in the stores and whatnot to minimize the look. They sound like boots (soft clunk clunk), but they don't squeak as they don't have as much plastic as a race boot.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #26
Kstorm21
ninjette.org sage

Name: Katherine

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

TCX X-Cube Boots
SIDI SDS New York Riding Shoes
Alpinestars Fastlane Shoes
I do not own any of these but they look comfy, inexpensive and I'd totally buy one.

Old November 16th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #27
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Joe Rocket Speedmaster 3.0s.
Very very good, feel fine while walking, and don't squeak much.
Only problems are that they are bulky like hell and tend to attract attention

Last futzed with by TheDementedDrummer; November 19th, 2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Got the boot model wrong
TheDementedDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #28
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ZX6R

i have icon superduty 4 and they are great for walking around school and going out.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #29
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
flipflops.

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #30
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
flipflops.
I'm thinking about getting these for those warm summer riding days!

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #31
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Quote:
I'm thinking about getting these for those warm summer riding days!

Damn it, Joe. Now I have a new project to work on making.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #32
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Damn it, Joe. Now I have a new project to work on making.
haha You're welcome!!