Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 1st, 2014, 09:27 AM   #41
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Well, listen up: all SparX helmets carry a 5-year warranty and they're both DOT and ECE approved. And check this out: if you crash in a SparX helmet, you can send it and the Police report back to SparX and they'll give you a new lid for free.
ugh police getting involved, another crash statistic a crash on the record, i would avoid that if possible. my crashes happen on the track anyways.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:37 PM   #42
Invert99
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): None yet

+1 for nolan. I originally got a Bell rs-1 because of it's excellent reviews. Unfortunately it didn't fit my head very well. The nolan replacement is much more comfortable for me, and seems like it is good quality so far.
Invert99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #43
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
That looks like the piece.

The problem with testing (no matter what the test) is that the laboratory is, and must be, a carefully controlled environment so that the results have a common baseline.

The real world is the opposite. ANY test is flawed when compared to the real world.

What's the temperature in the lab? Out in the real world people ride in freezing temps, and anyone who's seen a piece of plastic shatter because it's cold knows that temperature affects the properties of materials. They test for impact. Do they test for impact AFTER the helmet slides across abrasive pavement? Etc. etc.... it's simply impossible to precisely replicate real-world conditions in a consistent way, because the real world is too complex an environment.

So they come up with standards intended to produce a helmet that will protect the wearer under a reasonable range of conditions. And the helmet manufacturers build to meet the standards, because that sells helmets.

This is the same mindset that leads to standardized testing in schools. The intent is honorable... to prepare children to compete in the real world. But what winds up happening is that the kids are taught how to score well on the tests, which is not the same thing as actually developing skills or learning how to think.

Saying that this or that standard is better than the other guy's standard misses the point. A helmet standard is a set of criteria designed to answer this simple question: "Will this helmet protect a rider in a crash?" The answer depends on the circumstances... there is no single "right" answer, so there is no single "best" standard.
I wrote to SHARP about testing in cold temperatures this is what they sent me>
Dear Jim,

Thank you for your email and interest in SHARP.

The SHARP assessment is limited to helmets that can legally be sold for road use in the UK. Essentially, this means that all helmets rated by SHARP have already be approved to either UN ECE 22.05 or British Standard 6658. These standards include a requirement for the performance of the helmet to be evaluated at both high (50 +/- 2 degrees C) and low (-20 +/-2 degrees C).

The SHARP tests follows recommendations made by the COST 327 Report, the most comprehensive study of European motorcycle accidents ever done. The report can be found at http://ec.europa.eu/transport/roadsa...nal_report.pdf. While the report recommended more severe linear impacts than those used by regulation (advice that SHARP has adopted), no recommendations were made regarding testing at different temperatures.

We hope this information is helpful,

The SHARP team

For updates about SHARP you may wish to consider subscribing to our email updates (to subscribe click on ‘subscribe’ at the top of the SHARP homepage) or follow us on twitter (@SHARPgovuk) and we will let you know when any new ratings are published.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #44
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

^ Good info. Also, IIRC, the ECE testing also simulates UV and other ozone exposure and humidity. It's been a while since I read through it though.

Old February 6th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #45
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
....These standards include a requirement for the performance of the helmet to be evaluated at both high (50 +/- 2 degrees C) and low (-20 +/-2 degrees C).
Snell 2015 Standards are the same too.

DOT Standards are a little less but really close.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #46
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

I'm a huge Shoei fan. I even converted my husband, who used to always wear AGV over.

More specifically, I'm a fan of the Shoei Qwest line. You can still find them, and score, they're all on clearance now.

Here's the one I picked up for him, it's the Airfoil graphic.

Here's the review: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/shoei/qwest/

It's not only Snell and DOT approved, but it has a 5 star SHARP rating. Also, I thought it just felt better than the RF-1100 that I tried on. Yes, I have one, but it's black with bright pink girly graphics, so I'll spare you guys the torture.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #47
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

I really like the graphic on that lid . I really considered the Qwest before getting my RF1100 because of all the positive reviews on it. Similar shapes but I think the RF1100 fits just slightly more snug and better for my narrow to intermediate oval head.

Old February 6th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #48
mrbanksta23
ninjette.org motovlogger

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

This will be my next lid. Just a few weeks until I purchase it.

2000 Ninja 250
Upstate NY Riders social group!
mrbanksta23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #49
beren
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Thanks for the advice all.

After reading y'alls take I also went by a local store and tried a few on, and did some online shopping.

Ended finding a Scorpion exo-500 at a pretty decent price. Should be delivered today.

Old February 13th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #50
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
Here's the sharp helmet ratings.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk
Was just checking this out for modular helmet ratings. Pretty sad to see some of the supposedly top brands having such low ratings. Not sure what my fulmer modular helmet I wear rates at since they don't test Fulmer. Did find that the Caberg Trip system helmet is a 5 out 5 and only around 100 bucks. I have never even heard of this brand
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #51
beren
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Was just checking this out for modular helmet ratings. Pretty sad to see some of the supposedly top brands having such low ratings. Not sure what my fulmer modular helmet I wear rates at since they don't test Fulmer. Did find that the Caberg Trip system helmet is a 5 out 5 and only around 100 bucks. I have never even heard of this brand
I came very close to buying a Fulmer modular that was on clearance. I liked it a lot, but decided to go with the scorpion. A bit of a coin flip since they were similarly priced and similarly liked.

I see, when checking on the HJC IS-MAX modular that I am replacing that it scored 3 stars there. There scary thing is the info that the "Percentage of impacts where the faceguard remained fully locked" was only 40%. Yikes.

Old February 13th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #52
Dmented
CVMA#747 Ⓓⓜⓔⓝⓣⓔⓓ ⓡⓐⓒⓘⓝⓖ

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R * 09 Yamaha R6 * 08 CBR 1000RR * 04 NSR 50 * 02 KX 250

Cool

I switched from Shoei to HJC and haven't looked back..
get a plain lid n hook it up!
**CVMA#747**AFM#747R**M1GP#77**LeoVince*RaceTech*Hotbodies*Cyclemall*Bridgestone *
Motorad*Dainese*PolyMoto*Woodcraft**Visit The Dmented Racing Youtube Channel*
Dmented is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #53
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I love my Scorpion helmets. I have the low end EX400s. Ventilation sucks, it's noisy (that's what earplugs are for) and slightly heavy compared to others out there. Holds up great when sliding on the pavement (which is all that matters to me:

My next helmet will probably be an HJC. It got great reviews on WBW. All depends on fit.
Those scorpion ex400s are such a good budget track helmet, I'm looking into getting one of them or an HJC so I'm not risking my super comfortable but not any safer than those helmets exo1100.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #54
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by beren View Post
I came very close to buying a Fulmer modular that was on clearance. I liked it a lot, but decided to go with the scorpion. A bit of a coin flip since they were similarly priced and similarly liked.

I see, when checking on the HJC IS-MAX modular that I am replacing that it scored 3 stars there. There scary thing is the info that the "Percentage of impacts where the faceguard remained fully locked" was only 40%. Yikes.
yep, HJC all around has pretty bad safety ratings on there. now look at the caberg trip. 90% on amount of times the lid stays down and 5 out of 5 stars, the caberg konda is even better- 97%. they cost about 120 usd.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #55
beren
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
yep, HJC all around has pretty bad safety ratings on there. now look at the caberg trip. 90% on amount of times the lid stays down and 5 out of 5 stars, the caberg konda is even better- 97%. they cost about 120 usd.
Well, assuming that 1. I don't go down on my ride home tonight and 2. The new helmet waiting for me at home doesn't have some sizing issue or defect requiring a return, then I lucked out with the hjc since I never actually had to use it. Also, as i was trying on helmets and looking into sizing, I realized that either I got a helmet that was a size too big to begin with, or else the years have really compressed the pads, because it is too lose on my head.

Old February 14th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #56
beren
ninjette.org member

Its here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140213_193954~4.jpg (98.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140213_193854~3.jpg (101.6 KB, 2 views)

Old March 4th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #57
LilMiss
ninjette.org member

Name: Veronica

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250; Passenger on a Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
What the good Signor says in its entirety!

I go for comfort. Unfortunately, I have an Arai-shaped head. I wish I had a Bilt-shaped head, because they are very attractively priced!

The KLR250 I bought last month came with a cheapo new-condition used THH motocross helmet that is damn near as comfortable as are my Arais, and I look forward to wearing it when the weather warms up (as it's cold as hell: too well ventilated!).
I have an Arai shaped head too. The only thing I've found that fits almost as well (like...very close!) is the Icon AirFrame. (Tried the Airmada and hoy crap it was terrible! Lol)