ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #81
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
How does one "break properly"?
I've just been ripped a new one for braking too hard when a woman shot out in front of me from a side street.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #82
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Quote:
You flash your headlights and hit a car?

JKJKJKJKJK!!!!!

The perfect bike is different to different riders, or for different functions. I've been up the ladder and back down again. I started on 50cc Honda MB5s as first street bikes, been up to 1200cc ZZRs. Had just about everything in between. For me, I don't need to go over 100 MPH, I do need a cruise of 80 MPH and 2 up without drama, I like premium quality components, light weight and good handling dynamics.

The KTM Duke/RC390 might be the best we can get if it ever comes to the USA. Then again, it might just be a sheep in wolf's clothing, like the Ninja.

For a solo bike, I could ride a 20 HP premium street bike and be happy wringing its neck if it delivered on the good stuff, suspension/frame and feel.

Another guy might want 200 MPH and 110 MPH in first gear. I don't see that being useful, but that is the bike with premium components/legs.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #83
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #84
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
I just took my 300 to the track and fell in love with her even more! She's a much better track bike than the 250 in my opinion.
Isn't that slipper just awesome on the track?
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #85
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Yesssssssssssssssssss!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #86
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

I'm not looking for a monster bike. 600cc is probably the max I'd want. But I don't want an awful looking cruiser either, or a dirt-bike looking dual.

Maybe the R25 or the 2014 CBR250r will be out by the time I'm ready to buy. . .

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #87
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

CBR250r? I think the only thing it has going for it is EFI. The R25 looks cool but again that's like buying another Ninja 250r. I want to get the most for my money so when I upgrade it will be something bigger and better. I've had my eye on the FZ6 for a while but the FZ09 looks pretty nice too.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:38 AM   #88
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentbad View Post
CBR250r? I think the only thing it has going for it is EFI. The R25 looks cool but again that's like buying another Ninja 250r. I want to get the most for my money so when I upgrade it will be something bigger and better. I've had my eye on the FZ6 for a while but the FZ09 looks pretty nice too.
Yeah, the 250CBR doesn't really do it for me either. The 500 is nice, though.

What engine displacement do the FZ6 and 09 have?

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #89
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
The perfect bike is different to different riders, or for different functions.
The KTM Duke/RC390 might be the best we can get if it ever comes to the USA. Then again, it might just be a sheep in wolf's clothing, like the Ninja.
I agree with this completely, the perfect bike is too much of an individual equation for there to be one pinnacle motorcycle.
Since you said you like lightweight with premium parts have you looked into the triumph street triple? it fits that bill so long as you don't mind a naked bike. Personally that is my ideal street bike so I'm a bit biased hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Yeah, the 250CBR doesn't really do it for me either. The 500 is nice, though.

What engine displacement do the FZ6 and 09 have?
the FZ6 is a 599cc and the FZ-09 is roughly 900ccs of pure wheelie action. Seriously, don't get that bike if you don't feel comfortable with wheelies. The front end just doesn't like the ground.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #90
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I agree with this completely, the perfect bike is too much of an individual equation for there to be one pinnacle motorcycle.
Since you said you like lightweight with premium parts have you looked into the triumph street triple? it fits that bill so long as you don't mind a naked bike. Personally that is my ideal street bike so I'm a bit biased hahaha.

Too big. I want small displacement, high relative output and low rotational mass. My last bike, KTM 950SMR was about as wicked a bike as I can imagine, but the ergos had your legs splayed out a lot. It was also just over 400 lbs. and a big, little bike. After 5 years I needed a change. That was by far the longest I've ever owned a bike.

50ish HP, 300ish lbs. or lower, light feel, great legs are my new all around target standards now. Nothing but my EXC sumoto fits that, for now.

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #91
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I believe that the RC390 is the only non-supermoto bike that will fit that bill other than a grey import 400cc I4.

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #92
old3
ninjette.org sage

Grey import is dead and the 400 I4s were heavy and clumsy compared to even the Ninja 500 turds. We had a Bandit 400 and is was fine power wise but felt like a 600 to toss around.

Hopefully the new gen small bores pull the class up from the bargain bin specials we get now.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #93
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Anybody know anything about the Kawi ER6N?

I'm looking at a 2009. 650cc, looks pretty good, but wondering why I hadn't heard of it before. Did they stop making it? Did it suck?

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #94
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
It's basically a naked version of the ninja 650r, I believe they still make it? even if they don't it is a good bike, I prefer it over the 650r in almost every way with the exception of touring.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #95
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:

I'm looking at a 2009. 650cc, looks pretty good, but wondering why I hadn't heard of it before. Did they stop making it? Did it suck?
i believe theyre just in europe. Just get a full faired 650cc. im sure you'd like it. I dont just because it feels too...commutery for me. Ive never liked the upright position feel. Ive always heard good things about them though.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #96
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Naked Ninja 650 is spot on. My friend has one. 2 year USA bike IIRC. Not popular in here, of course, but super popular in Europe. Good bike, solid performance, no surprises. Typical Kawi cheap bike build quality. Ugly welds, brackets, etc. Much better engine than the chassis, just like the 300.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #97
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
i believe theyre just in europe. Just get a full faired 650cc. im sure you'd like it. I dont just because it feels too...commutery for me. Ive never liked the upright position feel. Ive always heard good things about them though.
They're in the US too, but only in blue.
I feel like most of the issues could be solved with some basic mods (i.e. renthal bars or clip on bars to fix how ridiculously high the stock bars are) but there are definitely much better bikes out there in similar classes, including the sv650.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #98
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Naked Ninja 650 is spot on. My friend has one. 2 year USA bike IIRC. Not popular in here, of course, but super popular in Europe. Good bike, solid performance, no surprises. Typical Kawi cheap bike build quality. Ugly welds, brackets, etc. Much better engine than the chassis, just like the 300.
I agree on the Kawi cheapy feel. I don't know why they do that. I know all of these bikes are plastic on the outside, but Kawi really makes you notice it more.

Do you prefer Honda build quality?

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #99
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the info! That triumph is a sweet looking bike, I like it!

As far as dual sports, I just don't like the way they look, the tall seat height, and the fact that they don't seem heavy enough for highway usage. So that's not an option on my end.

And about ABS, I agree that you won't require its use very much, but there are some situations where rider skill and knowledge won't be enough. For example, last summer I was riding home from work and was going down a one lane road, doing the speed limit, hardly any traffic, and no one really in front of me. I saw this woman in her Camaro on a side street, waiting to turn onto the street and go in the direction I was traveling. As I approached her, I kept my speed, flashed my highbeams, and drifted as far to the left as possible, in case she was an idiot and shot out in front of me anyway. Remembering from my MSF course, I kept an eye on her wheels to see any movement, ready to brake if necessary. She gave no indication of movement. As I got almost in front of her, she decided to take off. I'm talking like 10 feet away. I braked hard, my back wheel locked and wiggled, and she suddenly stopped; I guess she was scared.

I have no idea why she did that. I saw her look straight at me when I flashed my brights.

But I do remember the sick feeling of my back tire sliding, wanting to fishtail and throw me into the median or worse yet, into the other opposite-traffic lane. I don't think rolling off the throttle and gradually/gently applying brake pressure ever entered into my mind, and I don't consider myself a noob.

Would ABS have saved me if she hadn't stopped? Maybe, maybe not. But I wouldn't have had the added danger of fishtailing on top of everything else.

I think it's wise to have it, just in case.
flashing your high beams can be seen as 'go ahead', you pretty much told her to pull out on you.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #100
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
flashing your high beams can be seen as 'go ahead', you pretty much told her to pull out on you.
Yes, I've been told.

But thanks.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #101
Whiskey

Quote:
Yes, I've been told.

But thanks.
Only read a few posts further on... Read the rest now, they tore you a new arse over that

The ER6N is pretty popular here, the faired one (ER6F/Ninja650) runs in the supertwin class at the IOM TT, and they're pretty successful there.

Youtube "supertwin" to see what they're capable of

Old February 12th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #102
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Only read a few posts further on,

The ER6N is pretty popular here, the faired one (ER6F/Ninja650) runs in the supertwin class at the IOM TT, and they're pretty successful there.

Youtube "supertwin" to see what they're capable of
that's the slowest IOM TT class right? Unless the sidecars are slower.

Old February 12th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #103
Whiskey

Quote:
that's the slowest IOM TT class right? Unless the sidecars are slower.
Sidecars & electric are slower, they've not run a 125 or 250 class in years, but yeah the slowest single seater petrol powered class.

Outright top speed around the island was averaging 131 mph by Mc Pint, last year's supertwin winner was at 119 mph, so they're far from slow

Old February 12th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #104
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I agree on the Kawi cheapy feel. I don't know why they do that. I know all of these bikes are plastic on the outside, but Kawi really makes you notice it more.

Do you prefer Honda build quality?
Now that they are building where they are building them... I don't find any of the Japanese cheaper bikes to be any better than the other in this regard. The CBR250 looks to share common parts with the 300, mostly the worst ones too.

I prefer KTMs to be honest. Chro moly frames, SS exhausts, Brembo brakes, braided brake hoses... It just goes on and on.

Old February 12th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #105
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Would you still consider say a cbr600rr to have a better build quality than a zx6r?

Old February 12th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #106
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Would you still consider say a cbr600rr to have a better build quality than a zx6r?
Me? No, same things IMO. Just like their MX 250/450s. All pretty much developed into the same thing, same level of finish/performance. The Japanese chase each other in a circle, they don't really like to break new ground. Sometimes they take a shot at a Euro bike, but they never commit enough, or back out after a year or two.

You can throw a blanket over the SS bikes or MX bikes. Honda went aluminum frame, everyone followed. Suzuki had gone back to conventional forks on the MX bikes in 96/97 but ran back to the upside down even though their twin chamber conventionals worked better.

Fickle buyers want the same bikes in different colors with different names.

Old February 12th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #107
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Me? No, same things IMO. Just like their MX 250/450s. All pretty much developed into the same thing, same level of finish/performance. The Japanese chase each other in a circle, they don't really like to break new ground. Sometimes they take a shot at a Euro bike, but they never commit enough, or back out after a year or two.

You can throw a blanket over the SS bikes or MX bikes. Honda went aluminum frame, everyone followed. Suzuki had gone back to conventional forks on the MX bikes in 96/97 but ran back to the upside down even though their twin chamber conventionals worked better.

Fickle buyers want the same bikes in different colors with different names.
yes you hahaha.
that's largely what I figured but wasn't completely sure of it. I feel as though the honda "build quality" is an older concept as the modern machines all seem to be reliable enough, though my 300 has a few loose fairings and such. I do agree especially that all the japanese bikes feel like clones of each other while the european bikes have their own distinctive brand flavor.

Old February 12th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #108
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I had an ER6N and didn't like it very much. Felt the same way as you do about it. Liked my 300 more than the ER6N.

Quote:
Nice take on the industry and seems right on to me.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #109
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
yes you hahaha.
that's largely what I figured but wasn't completely sure of it. I feel as though the honda "build quality" is an older concept as the modern machines all seem to be reliable enough, though my 300 has a few loose fairings and such. I do agree especially that all the japanese bikes feel like clones of each other while the european bikes have their own distinctive brand flavor.
Honda used to be "the motor company". Now Harley stole that as a slogan but really KTM holds the honor IMO. Honda CRs used to have the best clutches, Suzukis RMs would need a new basket almost after the first week.

The order I recall was Honda first, with Yamaha very close and Suzuki/Kawi depending on model in last place.

Remember the first CR125 and 250 Elsinores, the odd XL350 that was just about perfect and the CB400f? Honda is nowhere near where they were in the 70s and 80s. Shame. I'd like to see the old Honda really building great bikes again. The CBR250 should be the V twin VTR they still built in Japan with a refresh!

Old February 12th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #110
dkstariob
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): None

But then you'll want to upgrade the Ninja 300 and ask if you want the ZX6r, the cycle will continue. You should ask yourself if modding the 250 will make you not want to purchase the 300? Would it make you happy?
dkstariob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #111
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstariob View Post
But then you'll want to upgrade the Ninja 300 and ask if you want the ZX6r, the cycle will continue. You should ask yourself if modding the 250 will make you not want to purchase the 300? Would it make you happy?
I agree with this mentality, you can mod a 250 to be the rough equivalent of a stock 300 and save some cash. Having owned both they're fairly similar bikes with the 300 having a better, more usable, midrange. If a 250 can't satisfy you at all then a 300 won't be mind blowingly better and likely won't satisfy you either.

Old February 12th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #112
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
For example, last summer I was riding home from work and was going down a one lane road, doing the speed limit, hardly any traffic, and no one really in front of me. I saw this woman in her Camaro on a side street, waiting to turn onto the street and go in the direction I was traveling. As I approached her, I kept my speed, flashed my highbeams, and drifted as far to the left as possible, in case she was an idiot and shot out in front of me anyway. Remembering from my MSF course, I kept an eye on her wheels to see any movement, ready to brake if necessary. She gave no indication of movement. As I got almost in front of her, she decided to take off. I'm talking like 10 feet away. I braked hard, my back wheel locked and wiggled, and she suddenly stopped; I guess she was scared.

I have no idea why she did that. I saw her look straight at me when I flashed my brights.
Next time this happens from a distance, weave in and out. The motion of the weave will catch the drivers eye and or peripheral vision. There's a video on this, but I can't find it.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #113
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I agree with this mentality, you can mod a 250 to be the rough equivalent of a stock 300 and save some cash. Having owned both they're fairly similar bikes with the 300 having a better, more usable, midrange. If a 250 can't satisfy you at all then a 300 won't be mind blowingly better and likely won't satisfy you either.

Good point. I think I'm going to sell and just see if anything wows me. Probably won't commit right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Next time this happens from a distance, weave in and out. The motion of the weave will catch the drivers eye and or peripheral vision. There's a video on this, but I can't find it.
Great tip, thanks.

But I wasn't exaggerating when I said she waited till I was literally 10 feet away. Flashing high beams or not, I was almost directly in front of her car. Seems strange she would accept the "go ahead" when there was almost a 100% chance she'd hit me.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #114
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Wow I've always flashed my lights at cars about to turn, it didn't occur to me that that could mean go ahead to them. I've never had a car pull out in front of me because of it, but I think it's a habit I'll rid myself of just in case. It's probably safer to use the time it takes to flash my lights to just slow down a bit and prepare myself to brake just in case anyways.

Ya learn something new every day I spose!
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 08:02 AM   #115
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Wow I've always flashed my lights at cars about to turn, it didn't occur to me that that could mean go ahead to them. I've never had a car pull out in front of me because of it, but I think it's a habit I'll rid myself of just in case. It's probably safer to use the time it takes to flash my lights to just slow down a bit and prepare myself to brake just in case anyways.

Ya learn something new every day I spose!
What? You mean there's another noob in here besides me! Wow!

jk

Old February 13th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #116
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Ya, try it in your car and see what happens. 9/10 for me, the other driver interprets it as, okay, he's letting me go.

Old February 13th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #117
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Ya, try it in your car and see what happens. 9/10 for me, the other driver interprets it as, okay, he's letting me go.
this. Only time its ever a good idea to flash on ur high beams is when theres no intersection near by and the car coming towards you has their high beams on.

Even then dont expect that person to actually know what you're trying to convey.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #118
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Dang it, my stupid speedo isn't working again. I have no idea what the hell is wrong with it. I lubed the needle and the hole it goes into, but nothing. Tach and odometer work just fine, but the speed doesn't.

And I have someone looking at the bike today to buy it, and now this.

Damn bike.

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #119
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Ugh. I told the guy about the speedo, he is still interested. Meeting him in a couple of hours. Going to Kawi dealership now to ride a 300, see if it's even worth it.

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #120
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
What color did you get?
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote