ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Best 1000cc Beginner Bike? :P

Hey guys, fishing for some advice, and opinions.

I've had my ninja for about a year and a half now and put 21,000 miles on it so far. Crashed three times and am pretty skilled in basic handling of it in my opinion. My question is would the jump to a literbike be too much? I know for sure i could handle/control a 600 supersport. But is the 1000supersport going to be too much power? Will it be not much fun as a 600SS? I enjoy riding with passengers pretty often but 30HP is not enough to take off from stops and accelerate as quickly as i would like two-up.

SO.

baby step to a 600SS?
OR
skip to the 1000SS?

BTW I am not selling my ninja this will be second bike. Would love to hear from those who have had both 600 n 1000 so i know the differences.

I've ridden the zx10r and did not like the low revs it was running too much. Maybe i am just used to the High revving 250...

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

depends if you are looking for a super sport (gsxr 1000) or a sport (ninja 1000).

sport will be much more tame than the super sport as you should know. jiggles should have some first hand experience with the 650 and the 1000
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #3
krolinked
Nerd

Sorry, should have put that in there.
I'm really loving the supersports.

Not to say im not open to a ninja 1000, but it would take some convincing.

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
depends if you are looking for a super sport (gsxr 1000) or a sport (ninja 1000).

sport will be much more tame than the super sport as you should know. jiggles should have some first hand experience with the 650 and the 1000
The sport is not "much more tame" it simply does not rev as high. The ninja 1000 has close to the same torque as the zx10, meaning acceleration up to 12k will feel rather similar on both, the zx10 revs up higher though
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
Hey guys, fishing for some advice, and opinions.

I've had my ninja for about a year and a half now and put 21,000 miles on it so far. Crashed three times and am pretty skilled in basic handling of it in my opinion. My question is would the jump to a literbike be too much? I know for sure i could handle/control a 600 supersport. But is the 1000supersport going to be too much power? Will it be not much fun as a 600SS? I enjoy riding with passengers pretty often but 30HP is not enough to take off from stops and accelerate as quickly as i would like two-up.

SO.

baby step to a 600SS?
OR
skip to the 1000SS?

BTW I am not selling my ninja this will be second bike. Would love to hear from those who have had both 600 n 1000 so i know the differences.

I've ridden the zx10r and did not like the low revs it was running too much. Maybe i am just used to the High revving 250...
Do you consider 4x the power a baby step? Truth is you will never top out a 600 on the street, even in a straight line

I'd prefer a 600SS over a 1000 and if I ever get a supersport it will be strictly a twisty/track bike. Maybe in 3-5yrs I'll get a 636
AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #6
krolinked
Nerd

Quote:
Do you consider 4x the power a baby step? Truth is you will never top out a 600 on the street, even in a straight line
Your right, definitely not a baby step! But its a step up i mean, before a 1000.

Old September 11th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
And is a 1000 a step up before a 1400?

A 600 is lighter and more maneuverable than a 1000 and even if you look at 0-100 times of both bikes they are not that far off. Question is why do you even want a literbike? Is it because of the power? Is it because they fit you better? Do you think a 600 won't have adequate power? If you want a liter over a 600 simply because of the power I think it's a bit silly. Oh and the liters are much easier to do wheelies on

Just as a comparison here is a 600 dyno. At 4krpms its making the max hp that a 250 makes. When I ride my 1000 on the street I rarely get over 4k rpms and I never get over 6k. 250 is more fun to ride around, 1000 is more comfortable to ride around, which is why I bought the 1000, its a comfy ass bike

AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Ninja 1000

zx10

AFM #676

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #9
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

2008+ cbr 1000, power of a 1000, handling of a 600, or get a gsxr 750... its like a 600 with more power.. or get a triumph 675
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #10
krolinked
Nerd

I want a bigger bike because of the power, I want a 1000 because it's the most power i can get without it being too big to hold up and be comfortable with the weight/height.

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Ninja 1000

zx10

you used a slip on for the yoshi. Y U THINK I WOULDNT SEE?
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Crashed three times and am pretty skilled in basic handling of it in my opinion.
I'm somewhat concerned by this. Not so much the fact that you crashed, though that is alarming because it happened three times in a year and a half. I am really just confused by the fact that you put "crashed" and "am pretty skilled in basic handling" in the same sentence.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but seriously, a 600 (of which I have owned two and put on about 10K miles between them) is not a joke. Sure, keep it below 8K and it's a pretty docile steed. As soon as 8K hits and you pin the throttle, the demon within comes out. Easily tameable truthfully, so long as you know what you are doing. Hell, I was in a parking lot today and the throttle slipped on me and I accidentally revved the bike up to around 10K in frist gear. I had the clutch in and it was a non-issue, but **** happens.

Just be honest with yourself about this. I get wanting the 600 or liter bike. My 600 (assuming I keep it - I get the trade in bug bad on a regular basis) will become my track bike as soon as I graduate and can afford to do so. I will then ride an R1 on the street and make it something of a sport tourer. So I get the desire to own the bikes. Just don't try to make a jump you might not be ready for simply because of miles and time.

Watch Twist of the Wrist 2. Watch it again. Practice the techniques every single time you ride from here on out. Then think about the 600 or 1000.

My

Old September 12th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #13
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

The more I ride my r6, the more I lose the desire to own a 1000. There's just so much to master on a 600.

If you're just riding on the street though, who cares. Get a 4000 if there is one. Just have self restraint. Ofcourse this doesn't apply to beginners. I assume you know what you're doing after 21k miles (were they just straight on freeway commute? were they on track? were they on twisties?)

Only you can tell if you're ready.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #14
krolinked
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I'm somewhat concerned by this. Not so much the fact that you crashed, though that is alarming because it happened three times in a year and a half. I am really just confused by the fact that you put "crashed" and "am pretty skilled in basic handling" in the same sentence.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but seriously, a 600 (of which I have owned two and put on about 10K miles between them) is not a joke. Sure, keep it below 8K and it's a pretty docile steed. As soon as 8K hits and you pin the throttle, the demon within comes out. Easily tameable truthfully, so long as you know what you are doing. Hell, I was in a parking lot today and the throttle slipped on me and I accidentally revved the bike up to around 10K in frist gear. I had the clutch in and it was a non-issue, but **** happens.

Just be honest with yourself about this. I get wanting the 600 or liter bike. My 600 (assuming I keep it - I get the trade in bug bad on a regular basis) will become my track bike as soon as I graduate and can afford to do so. I will then ride an R1 on the street and make it something of a sport tourer. So I get the desire to own the bikes. Just don't try to make a jump you might not be ready for simply because of miles and time.

Watch Twist of the Wrist 2. Watch it again. Practice the techniques every single time you ride from here on out. Then think about the 600 or 1000.

My
I'm good at riding(in my opinion), I have however knowingly pushed the bike or myself too far, and the crashing happened. I guess I'm saying that since i've crashed i have a somewhat better understanding of bikes than if I had NOT crashed. I definitely want a 600, however I hate the "bogged down" feeling i have when I ride a passenger on my 250. My thinking is that since the 1000 has more power, solo or two-up would not be a noticeable difference in Pull/Power.

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #15
krolinked
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
The more I ride my r6, the more I lose the desire to own a 1000. There's just so much to master on a 600.

If you're just riding on the street though, who cares. Get a 4000 if there is one. Just have self restraint. Ofcourse this doesn't apply to beginners. I assume you know what you're doing after 21k miles (were they just straight on freeway commute? were they on track? were they on twisties?)

Only you can tell if you're ready.
I can tell I want another bike. Whether I'm ready or should, who knows?
I know i wont kill myself on a literbike, but i dont know if i should get a 600 instead. It's kind of like, if your getting a vehicle, why not get the one you really want. I'm just completely lost as to which CC range i should get...

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I'm good at riding(in my opinion), I have however knowingly pushed the bike or myself too far, and the crashing happened. I guess I'm saying that since i've crashed i have a somewhat better understanding of bikes than if I had NOT crashed. I definitely want a 600, however I hate the "bogged down" feeling i have when I ride a passenger on my 250. My thinking is that since the 1000 has more power, solo or two-up would not be a noticeable difference in Pull/Power.
For real dude? You know how your ninja feels at its peak of 11k rpms? Yea thats 4k rpms on a 600 and then that **** revs up to 15k

600s are goddamn rocket ships
AFM #676

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #17
krolinked
Nerd

What is gearing like on a 600? First gear i mean.
Is it a low gear or is it going to be freaking tall like 90mph in first?

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #18
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

My bud's R6 could do indicate 60 or so in 1st. His speedo wasn't dead accurate, but it wasn't too terribly off either.

A 600, even with a passenger, will still go stupid fast. It won't even notice you're there. A liter bike will just spit you and your passenger off with no remorse.

Ride some bikes sometime. A bud let me take his CBR 954 for a spin. I didn't even realize it and I was cruising at 120 MPH on the highway. By the time I looked down at the speedo I was in amazement and got off the next exit and promptly brought the bike back to him.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Most 600s will go 70-80 in first. I believe most 1000s will go 100-110

My 1000 goes 65 D:
AFM #676

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #20
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

you got to be a big guy to need more then a 600 s/ss.. at break in, below 5k was way more then the ninja could do.. dont get me wrong, i loved that bike

Old September 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #21
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Go for something different, get a 1000cc V-twin superbike, Aprilia Mille, Suzuki TL1000R, Honda RC51, KTM RC8, any Dookati

@Gurk Triumph Rocket III 2300cc I3 is the biggest production bike available... it's more like the bike version of a muscle car
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
3 crashes in a year? get a 650 twin. like an sv650.

maybe think about just staying on the 250.

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #23
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Go for something different, get a 1000cc V-twin superbike, Aprilia Mille, Suzuki TL1000R, Honda RC51, KTM RC8, any Dookati

@Gurk Triumph Rocket III 2300cc I3 is the biggest production bike available... it's more like the bike version of a muscle car
i have seen one guy riding it.. he was freakishly large as was the bike too.. the motor is larger then most eco/sport cars

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #24
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
3 crashes in a year? get a 650 twin. like an sv650.

maybe think about just staying on the 250.
Are you sure a 650 is going to be enough though? It will be more difficult for him to wheelie with a passenger on that
AFM #676

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if i can do a burnout and wheelie with a passenger on my ninja 250, i think he can manage on a 650.

maybe he just wants to be able to do this:

Link to original page on YouTube.

the fact is there is no "1000cc beginner bike" and the concept alone is ridiculous.

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #26
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I ride a GSXR1000 and think it works well at everything.

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #27
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Probably should just buy a Y2K, hit up Jay Leno

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #28
krolinked
Nerd

I've seen the Y2k lol. I actually work where they make displays for Bell copters, the engine was pulled off a bell.

ok 600 it is then.

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #29
Ninja Chris
ninjette.org member

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Black & Yellow Ninja 250

Quote:
For what it's worth, the 2012 ZX-6R did 75mph+ (indicated) in 1st gear. I took it out during Kawi's test rides and did the whole course without shifting gears, which included a stint on the freeway. This was also the only way I was able to abide speed limit suggestions and take the engine above 6000rpm.

Last futzed with by Ninja Chris; September 12th, 2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: i no good grammar
Ninja Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
AFM #676

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #31
krolinked
Nerd

I feel like i would enjoy a bike with a lower first gear, simply because i enjoy shifting and would feel bored if i never needed to shift out of first. Does anyone know of any 600s that are somewhat like this?

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #32
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I feel like i would enjoy a bike with a lower first gear, simply because i enjoy shifting and would feel bored if i never needed to shift out of first. Does anyone know of any 600s that are somewhat like this?
fz6r or ninja 650
AFM #676

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #33
krolinked
Nerd

ARRGHH.

Tell me this is not so.

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #34
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
WHat?
AFM #676

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #35
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

My opinion....if you've dumped one three times and put 21,000 miles on the 250, you are probably bikeducated enough for something bigger. That doesnt mean you can jump on a supersport and ride the snot out of it....it means you are probably now capable of starting one up and riding it with out dumping it in the parking lot, or putting it in the top of a tree the first time you let the clutch out. You will be starting your bikeducation all over again. Don't get cocky.

As for 600's. Not all are created equal. For instance, the R6 is a touchy little bike. Your first experience on one will probably be something like this..
Give it a bit of throttle, let out clutch...ok, this aint too bad, roll on a bit more throttle, ok this is sweet, roll on a bit more...HOLY CRAP. They have some rather alarming race gearing for a 600. Fun if you know how to use it, but will make a newb crap bricks when he hits the power band. The ZX-6R, GSXR600 ....are a little more timid, but not much. The CBR is right about in the middle as far as the gearing, however its so light it feels like you stuck a 600 motor in your 250.

As for the 1000's. I wouldn't move up to a literbike just yet. I'd go for a 600 first. The literbike is a pretty substantial jump from the 250, and has ZERO forgiveness for mistakes. Twist just a bit too much, and it will either be on one wheel, or slinging the rear out. You can of course do that on a 600 too, however its a little more forgiving. In addition to that there is the added costs of insurance, and fuel with a 1000, and I'm betting that a 600 will be more than enough to get your blood flowing.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #36
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

I vote for the ZX1400 go all out.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #37
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
@krolinked You know you can change the sprockets to make the gearing as high or low as you want it, right?
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #38
Dopamine
Ninja on a Ninja member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
I've had my ninja for about a year and a half now and put 21,000 miles on it so far. Crashed three times and am pretty skilled in basic handling of it in my opinion.
Wow I seriously cant comprehend what your saying... You've crashed 3 times on a 250 and you want a 600/1000 bike??

Good luck dude...... Both bikes will spit you out if you don't respect them
Dopamine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #39
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Why don't you find a Demo day or test ride them at a dealership.

I just went on a Honda Demo Day and tried the CBR 600 and 1000. The Ninjette doesn't compare to going 110km/h in first gear...and that was on the 600!

Once you get on one you'll be able to better figure out if that's what you want.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #40
krolinked
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
My opinion....if you've dumped one three times and put 21,000 miles on the 250, you are probably bikeducated enough for something bigger. That doesnt mean you can jump on a supersport and ride the snot out of it....it means you are probably now capable of starting one up and riding it with out dumping it in the parking lot, or putting it in the top of a tree the first time you let the clutch out. You will be starting your bikeducation all over again. Don't get cocky.

As for 600's. Not all are created equal. For instance, the R6 is a touchy little bike. Your first experience on one will probably be something like this..
Give it a bit of throttle, let out clutch...ok, this aint too bad, roll on a bit more throttle, ok this is sweet, roll on a bit more...HOLY CRAP. They have some rather alarming race gearing for a 600. Fun if you know how to use it, but will make a newb crap bricks when he hits the power band. The ZX-6R, GSXR600 ....are a little more timid, but not much. The CBR is right about in the middle as far as the gearing, however its so light it feels like you stuck a 600 motor in your 250.

As for the 1000's. I wouldn't move up to a literbike just yet. I'd go for a 600 first. The literbike is a pretty substantial jump from the 250, and has ZERO forgiveness for mistakes. Twist just a bit too much, and it will either be on one wheel, or slinging the rear out. You can of course do that on a 600 too, however its a little more forgiving. In addition to that there is the added costs of insurance, and fuel with a 1000, and I'm betting that a 600 will be more than enough to get your blood flowing.
Excellent advice! Thank you. I wont be going for a 1k anymore. So now its a decision between 600s. I love the way the R6 is described, but is the powerband really that insane? I've no idea because The 10r i rode really didn't have much of a power band or i didn't notice it. Or i wasn't WOT