ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 6th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #1
mrbanksta23
ninjette.org motovlogger

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Mac or windows?

I use a 07 macbook running os x 10.7.5, but also have access to my girlfriend's hp pavilion dv4 that runs vista home premium. Not that I ever use it...

What do you guys and gals out there use?

2000 Ninja 250
Upstate NY Riders social group!
mrbanksta23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #2
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Even though I have an iPhone, iPad, iPod, and MacBook, I would NOT consider myself an apple fanboy

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2014, 10:39 PM   #3
mrbanksta23
ninjette.org motovlogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Even though I have an iPhone, iPad, iPod, and MacBook, I would NOT consider myself an apple fanboy
You sound exactly like me. Haha! I swear the iPad is only for editing photos, and the iPod is only for listening to music!

2000 Ninja 250

Old February 7th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #4
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Mac.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
never owned a mac until recently but always used them for work routinely and loved the ones I had for work, never a single problem would always tell people how much I liked them. So last year we sprung for a new MacBook pro.... it had a complete hard drive failure 5 months after we bought it

Sure it was covered under warranty but it was still a pain in the *** and shouldn't have happened.

I no long offer positive feed back regarding mac's

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #6
mrbanksta23
ninjette.org motovlogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
never owned a mac until recently but always used them for work routinely and loved the ones I had for work, never a single problem would always tell people how much I liked them. So last year we sprung for a new MacBook pro.... it had a complete hard drive failure 5 months after we bought it

Sure it was covered under warranty but it was still a pain in the *** and shouldn't have happened.

Do you know what specifically went wrong in your MBP? I'm not a "fanboy" although I do respect the products that Apple produces. I've had my MB for 7 years now and not a singe issue with it, ever. The 2.16ghz core 2 duo still feels snappy on 10.7.5. I have run into issues with final cut, though, due to my outdated graphics card. That's unfortunate, too, because I've recently got I to video editing for my youtube channel.

I'm sorry you did not share a similar experience with your MBP.

2000 Ninja 250

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
no clue, the wifie was on the web one day and it just **** the bed. We couldn't get it to do anything trying to boot in safe mode, or other modes blah blah blah so we mailed it to apple store (none within 100 miles of us) Came back said they replaced harddrive

After it happened I looked on web and it seems that issues are not all that uncommon.

Google search "mac broken folder icon"

After reading all the incidents it kinda scared me cuz where I used to work, we would only occasionally completely back up the macbooks and if we experienced a harddrive crash it would have been horrible. Live and learn I guess.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old February 7th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Mac. Since 1985. Fanboy? No, not really... but the platform does everything I need it to do and it's worked better than the Windows machines I've used. I was forced to use a Windows laptop at work that literally took ten minutes to boot.

Hard drive failure? As if Windows machines don't have premature hard drive failures? Stuff happens. No computer is bulletproof.

My current home MBP is six years old and running just fine, thank you. I'm literally wearing holes in the keys.

To be sure, Apple has had their fair share of hardware issues over the years. I have a few colorful stories, one of which involved an office intern coming up to me in the break room and saying "Andy? Is blue smoke supposed to be coming out of the top of the computer in your office?" That was back in the days of the Mac Plus, which was convection cooled. We were using one to run the company BBS, so it was left on 24/7.

Platform debates are ultimately useless. We prefer the platform with which we are most comfortable. I've been using Macs so long that I know them well and moving to a Windows or Linux box would be more trouble than it's worth. What would I gain? There isn't anything I really need to do that I can't do with my machine.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #9
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

go windows, they are the exact same guts. you just pay 10x more for a little apple on the cover.

what qualifies me to have this opinion? ive owned 2 computer shops and have been building, modding, repairing, and upgrading computers professionally for 11 years.

The absolute strongest system apple makes, the "mac pro" has a xeon e5 intel cpu starting with 4 cores. un upgrade able graphics. a max of 12 gigs (comes with 4) 250gig hard drive (ssd) and all of that is priced at 3000$... 3000$!!, thats a motorcycle!! now if you wanted some small upgrades it would only cost you 5000$...

i am on a comp right now that is stronger then this and it cost me $1100 to build, and that was with 2 22 inch led screens.

from a professional stand point the only thing macs are good for in my opinion, they are very user friendly. if you dont understand how to use a computer then mac will be perfect for you. but in my mind i think learning to use a computer is worth saving 1000$

do i condemn mac users? no, just mac fanboys that think the only thing you can edit photos, make music, and edit video on is a mac that cost double and sometimes triple what a real computer cost.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #10
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
windows 8.1
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #11
rasta
Your face

I've been told the old notion that "Macs can't get viruses" is no longer true (if it ever was). True?

Old February 7th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #12
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
It never was true, but they are least susceptible when you compare it to a Windows machine. Reason being, is that most viruses are written for Windows because a large majority of the population has Windows.

Old February 7th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #13
mrbanksta23
ninjette.org motovlogger

I love all this input. Everything is flawed, that I agree with. Never again with Ubuntu for me, though. It was terrible.

2000 Ninja 250

Old February 7th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #14
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
It never was true, but they are least susceptible when you compare it to a Windows machine. Reason being, is that most viruses are written for Windows because a large majority of the population has Windows.
Okay, that's what it was. Well....are people starting to write more and more viruses for Macs, now that they're fairly popular?

Old February 7th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #15
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Apple had their own Macs infected with malware last year so yes, Macs can also be at risk. Some experts and hackers actually consider Windows the more secure system code wise. The difference is Windows is the bigger target because of larger market share. A larger user base has more chance for dumb people to click on anything you send them and to spread quickly before people catch on.

If you're a hacker who is going to write some sort of malicious code and want to cause the most havoc possible, you'll want to target a large population to have the most success. Not much different from a real virus.

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #16
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Okay, that's what it was. Well....are people starting to write more and more viruses for Macs, now that they're fairly popular?
I think there are more viruses being written within the last 10 years or so, but it's still relatively small in comparison to what is out there for Windows machines. Microsoft has a bigger market share.

Old February 9th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #17
mrbanksta23
ninjette.org motovlogger

For as long have I've used OS X, I've never had any issues with malicious software. The only truly safe os from what I understand is Linux. I didn't like Ubuntu, but there are so many versions of Linux that one might be right for me. I'm content with 10.7.5 though.

2000 Ninja 250

Old February 9th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #18
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
There is no such thing as "truly safe." Sure, some operating systems are less vulnerable to viruses and "safer" compared to other operating systems, but all systems can be compromised.

Old February 9th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #19
mrbanksta23
ninjette.org motovlogger

This is true. It's just not a common thing to hear of malicious software for Linux based operating systems. I remember hearing about a scare on android phones though.

2000 Ninja 250

Old February 9th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #20
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Yeah, without question Android faces far more security threats among mobile OS. It's an overwhelming majority in fact. The same rule of market share applies and just the very nature of Android being a more open platform make it a big target.

Back to the topic of Mac security, according to Kaspersky, the number of threats are on the rapid rise.

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #21
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

^ see post above

****ING MAC crashed again yesterday for no reason!!

seriously WTF!? Just got it back not to long ago after the first crash, now we have to send the POS back, at this point i would rather just get my money back and buy something else

Old March 7th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #22
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

There is a 3rd choice. Recently, after having to format the hard drive on one of my Windows 7 machines (root kit virus), Microsoft refused to authenticate it! Imagine if General Motors came to your house and towed away your car saying that you had driven it too often.

So I loaded the Ubuntu version of Linux onto the machine. It's free, does not have the troublesome Windows "registry", is immune to viruses, and in this version looks and acts much like Windows, except you can enjoy multiple desktops! Software apps are also free, and there are some to enable Linux to run Windows programs.

Around the world, many people use it as their only OS.
Attached Images
File Type: png Tux.png (11.6 KB, 0 views)

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i run linux at home on one machine. then windows on the desktop that is hooked up to the 3D printer/plotter. on one laptop i have dual boot windows xp and linux depending on what i'm doing. the work laptop is a macbook pro. i also use a windows xp machine at work. i have an android phone for personal use. for work i use an ipad, kindle, nook, galaxy tab 9 and 10, and a nexus 7. i use all of them regularly for development.

i can honestly say, there is no "better". they are just different. it depends entirely on what you want to do with it. i certainly have favorites because some of them work better for the specific things i use them for, but each has it's own niche and each is "the best" at specific things.

it's similar to motorcycles. you wouldn't ride a harley cruiser on the track. but you wouldn't ride a motoGP bike in the mud offroad.

doing low level system diagnostics is simply easier in linux. doing video and sound production is simply easier on mac. playing games and office environment production is simply easier on windows. iOS is easy to learn and use. android is inexpensive, customizable and highly extensible. Amazon is a bunch of conceited pricks.

Old March 7th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #24
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
^ see post above

****ING MAC crashed again yesterday for no reason!!

seriously WTF!? Just got it back not to long ago after the first crash, now we have to send the POS back, at this point i would rather just get my money back and buy something else
I would say that you have a lemon, it happens with any product. I'd ask for a new one. Apple is really good about taking care of their customers. I wouldn't hesitate to call them up, even though it's a slight pain in the ass. My bro has a macbook pro, he spilled some **** on it and it ****ed up the cd drive to the point where a cd got stuck inside, they completely replaced it, didn't even ask if it was under warranty, for free.