ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

2010 Buell Blast

Looks like the blast might be discontinued, or redesigned but that does not look likely, anyways click the link to see the 2010 New and Improved Buell Blast.
http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/blast/
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

haha. lol at the "features" section. I did consider buying a used blast for a while, though the ninja eventually won me over.

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I as well degated between the Blast and the Ninja 250. The Ninja 250 won out for all the reasons that Eric Buell talked about in the video. The Ninja 250 had class, style and engineering where the the Blast was just plane jane for alot more money.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

We owned a Blast, it was Annie's first bike. I like quite a bit about it (hydraulic valves, zero lifetime adjustment!, handled fine, clean design, $8 of damage if it tips over at a stop). Didn't like some other things about it. (shift lever falling off, random engine issues)

This feature on the Buell site is awfully funny.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Snake

If Erik Buell does come out with a redesigned Blast I think it should remain 500cc's but have a v-twin which is the brand tradition and make it water cooled which is the norm for most sport bikes.

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #6
andrewwoo
WHEE!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Kawi 250R

i like some of the buells.. but i love the ninja much more!
andrewwoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
It would be cool to have a new and better entry-level Buell, but the smart business move is to cede that market to the Japanese.

A new entry Buell would require an entirely new engine, and that kind of R&D money just isn't there right now.

The concept of having a starter bike in your lineup to build brand loyalty is tried and true, but it only works if there's a clear family link. The Blast was so different from other Buells that there was no real connection.

I'm glad they're retiring like this, rather than just making it disappear. Buell comes across as being very forthright and honest about it.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

A couple guys on the Blast forums were mentioning that Buell may replace it with a Rotax single hyper motard style bike, probably just rumors though.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Snake

Looks like to me that Buell is going to concentrate on the bigger bikes.

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #10
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

It seems like the company is changing focus toward a sportier image, and a beginner bike just does not seem to fit with their brand. I think it is a bad idea, the reason they wanted to get rid of the blast was because they felt people was getting the wrong idea of what the company was about after riding/seeing one, I think they can make an exciting bike that is tame enough for a green rider IMO, just look at the ex250 or the SV650.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #11
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

I think if they can make a great looking 500cc bike for beginners, they might just corner the market for beginner bikes..The ninja 250 is awesome for beginners, and the way it looks attracts alot of buyers...But alot of people wont buy 1 becuz of outgrowing the 250...A stylish 500 could attract beginners and others looking for a sport bike, and keep buyers satisfied for a longer time... my opinion
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #12
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

lol. that site was funny. i was also debating between the blast and the 250.... then i saw the blast in person. it looked like a piece of junk imo.

man, their "smallest" engine is going to be 984 cc now. so much for introducing new riders to the brand.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #13
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
I think if they can make a great looking 500cc bike for beginners, they might just corner the market for beginner bikes..The ninja 250 is awesome for beginners, and the way it looks attracts alot of buyers...But alot of people wont buy 1 becuz of outgrowing the 250...A stylish 500 could attract beginners and others looking for a sport bike, and keep buyers satisfied for a longer time... my opinion
With what you just said maybe Kawasaki will re-skin the 500 like they did the 250 and it will fill that much needed place in the market. I can remember when Honda came out with the 500 Interceptor. Now that was a great bike.

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #14
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It would be cool to have a new and better entry-level Buell, but the smart business move is to cede that market to the Japanese.
The thing is, the Japanese don't seem to be interested in the entry-level market either. Other than the Ninja, what is there? An anemic pint-size imitation of a Harley, or a mediocre dual-purpose..?

I'm sorry to see the Blast go: it's the only Buell I would ever seriously consider buying. I only hope that they are just going to come out with a replacement, say a similar bike with a 400cc Rotax single...

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #15
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
The thing is, the Japanese don't seem to be interested in the entry-level market either. Other than the Ninja, what is there? An anemic pint-size imitation of a Harley, or a mediocre dual-purpose..?

I'm sorry to see the Blast go: it's the only Buell I would ever seriously consider buying. I only hope that they are just going to come out with a replacement, say a similar bike with a 400cc Rotax single...
I'll say it again, I think they need to stick with the v-twin to coincide with the rest of the line.

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #16
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
With what you just said maybe Kawasaki will re-skin the 500 like they did the 250 and it will fill that much needed place in the market. I can remember when Honda came out with the 500 Interceptor. Now that was a great bike.
That would be a great move, but the 250 is selling great for them so far, and the geniuses that work for them dont like to rock the boat 2 much..
And I think they are discontinuing the 500 after this year....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote