ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

How do you avoid road rage??

So i went for a ride today and was having a blast untill some a**hole decides he wants to ride my ass i was on a 2 lane road so i switched lanes so he could pass me. He pulls up right beside me and is just staring at my sexy blue ninja ( I dont blame him ) but he would stay right beside me or right on my ass no matter where i went on the road. It turned into a one lane road and i got away from him by doing some dippin and dodgin just befor that. So i think that this prick is outta my life and i go back to enjoyin things, when all of a sudden i see this guy in my mirrow ripp up into oncoming traffic passes 4 cars and cuts the guy behind me off and nearly gets hit from an oncoming truck. Once again this guy is about 3 feet from my rear tire and i didnt have anywhere to go this time not even a shoulder to pull off onto. I felt like ripping this guy outta his car and give him a kick in the head but then of course i wouldnt be writing this long rant (sorry the by way lol). Basically all i want to know is how you all deal with your road rage and if u ever run into people like this what do you do??

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
pull over and take a deep breath. check your phone or something to get your mind in a different place. once you're normal, continue. there's no sense riding in a compromised state or around dickwads that are putting you in danger

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #3
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
pull over and take a deep breath. check your phone or something to get your mind in a different place. once you're normal, continue. there's no sense riding in a compromised state or around dickwads that are putting you in danger
I couldnt pull over tho i was going through a foresty type area so it was one lane each direction and no shoulders just a 4 foot deep ditch on either side that ATV and dirtbikes use. There was no exits either for about 15 kms or like 10 miles so i had to just ride it out, i got off on the first exit i could and stopped right away to chill out for a bit. I guess i should have worded it differently, but how would you contain yourself well ur stuck with tihs "dickward" lol

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Damn Jon. If I was around to go riding with you today, that a-hole would've been in trouble . Glad to see that you exercised some self-discipline and got back safe and that's really the whole point. Live to tell a tale and continue riding.

I had some a-hole behind me in a pos civic riding my tail and yelling at me about something at a light last week. I probably could've gotten off my bike and walked over and dealt with it in that manner if I wanted but at the end of the day, you just got to tell yourself, it's not worth it. If you fight these battles with every douche bag in his cager that you encounter, you may win some battles but you will lose the war. There's another a-hole waiting to replace the one you've just dealt with.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

maybe he admired your bike and wanted to ask if it was a 600 X]

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #6
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

You just do. I just assume that everybody on the road are idiots. So when something like this happens, all i can do is shake my head and chuckle. On the flip side, when someone does something polite, I nod and wave thank you. Not much else you can do on the road. If someone gets close, I usually let them pass if i can or slow down enough so that if anything happens, I wont get sandwiched. Getting rearended is bad enough, I dont need to be squashed because I wanted to run away from an idiot.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #7
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Damn Jon. If I was around to go riding with you today, that a-hole would've been in trouble . Glad to see that you exercised some self-discipline and got back safe and that's really the whole point.
Yeah it was hard to let him just go away if i was in my truck it would have been a whole different story lol I think we should all start carrying sum nice big ball bearings or marbles that we could just bounce off the road and take a windshield out or something

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #8
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Safely get out of his way and stop, with his plate #. If he (they)come back I deal with it then. If not the brick masons get the address call. This occurence is something that is highly unusual in that he put you, others, and even himself in harms way. I would say you had your once in a riding lifetime experience that day.
One thign I always do first must be noted; "I would rather be friends than enemies" with the other hand extended.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

I just scream inside my helmet alot.
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #10
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

You pull over you pull out a gun and say go your way sir, Or make my day. XD joking!

Old July 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #11
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Imagine them in their underwear. That should bring a smile to your face.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #12
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Yeah it was hard to let him just go away if i was in my truck it would have been a whole different story lol I think we should all start carrying sum nice big ball bearings or marbles that we could just bounce off the road and take a windshield out or something
Not a bad idea Jon. I'm also inclined to side with Conan on this one... and strap a big stick or a board to the bike .

Link to original page on YouTube.

Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

You certainly handled it better than I would have... I would have brought the bike to a stop in the middle of the road and discussed the proper following distance with the person. I find people are really angry until you politely knock on the window with the knuckle guards on your gloves.....
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I'm half tempted at putting a brick on my bike. Car swerves at me or puts me in danger, brick gets used.

Cops get called, I get pulled over and cop will ask "Did you throw a brick?"

My reply?

"Where am I supposed to hold a brick on my motorcycle, let alone ride safely while throwing it at someone swerving at me?"

Though marbles would be easier to hold.......

Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle super store for all your road rage needs:

Mad-Dog-Handgun-Mount

No officer its just a decoration. . . maybe someone threw a marble at him?? *mumble* 45caliber copper jacketed marbles...

Old July 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #16
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

^^^ LMAO That is amazing i wish i could mount that on my bike. Although im in Canada and if a cop saw me riding down the road with that i would have SWAT after me in no time. Maybe in the states u could get away with it up here theres no way, i dont think anyone would even come close to you if they saw that mounted to your bike they would probly drop back as far as they could i know i would if i saw that on someone bike

Old July 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #17
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
^^^ LMAO That is amazing i wish i could mount that on my bike. Although im in Canada and if a cop saw me riding down the road with that i would have SWAT after me in no time. Maybe in the states u could get away with it up here theres no way, i dont think anyone would even come close to you if they saw that mounted to your bike they would probly drop back as far as they could i know i would if i saw that on someone bike
thats the point

if i could legally buy a handgun and get an open carry license, i would rock that mount
or a leg holster
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #18
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Shoot, just put an airsoft gun in the holster. No law against that.

I mean, you MAY be pulled over and subject to a felony stop fairly often, but no law against it.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #19
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Green 2011 SE 52yo Geezer

Quote:
Once again this guy is about 3 feet from my rear tire and i didnt have anywhere to go this time not even a shoulder to pull off onto. I felt like ripping this guy outta his car and give him a kick in the head but then of course i wouldnt be writing this long rant (sorry the by way lol). Basically all i want to know is how you all deal with your road rage and if u ever run into people like this what do you do??
Just pull out your legal to carry (in Michigan at least) .45 ACP pistol and look back at him? Maybe put the red laser on them? If he's making you scared for your health you can just blow him away, but it is a lot less problems and paperwork and cops to just scare them off. Michigan has a lot less idiots because you don't know who you are screwing with. About 1 out of of 5 guys has a permit to carry. Dogs are easier. If a dog runs out and looks like it will grab you just pop it. The owners can't do anything. You don't even have to slow down.

- Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #20
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post

"Where am I supposed to hold a brick on my motorcycle, let alone ride safely while throwing it at someone swerving at me?"
That's a very good point. I like that. Unless someone see's you, how are the cops supposed to argue with that?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #21
ninjaprof
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Absolutely 100% correct. NEVER let a car (or another biker for that matter) intimidate you, push you to ride beyond your skill level or do anything dangerous. Control your emotions. If you let him upset you, not only does he "win", but you have let him put you in a compromised high risk mental state . So what if you slow him down a little bit or he thinks you are an @## $%^&. You'll never see him again. Remember, you let him "push your buttons", he wins !
ninjaprof is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #22
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

I take a long rural road everyday that's a two lane, posted 40MPH for about 12 miles. I've had a lot of impatient drivers, tailgaters, texters, pretty much whatever you can think of on that road behind me. If someone behind me is making me uncomfortable, as soon as I can pull off (someones driveway, large gravel shoulder, whatever) I just let them pass.

This road is very twisty, it's kind of funny because drivers will tailgate me at 45 up to a corner, then brake to take the corner and create a nice gap since I maintain speed if not roll on the throttle a bit then coast back down to my regular speed. Instead of maintaining that gap, they speed up to 50-55 so they can tailgate me again. I don't get it.

It almost makes as much sense as getting ahead of everyone from a stop light, maintaining your speed for a good 10+ seconds only to see the guy who was beside you come flying by at 10-20MPH faster then you're going.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #23
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Call a friend and pull over. It's saved me from getting the fisticuffs a few times tbh. Had a Steelers fan in (basically) a monster truck try to run me down in gridlock traffic and I eventually got off of the bike and started taking the helmet off.

Luckily, like most people like that, he was a coward and stayed in his truck to insult me from a distance, which gave me time to recoup, get back on, ride away, and call a friend to vent.

Sometimes not feeling alone is really all it takes in those situations.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #24
2010Zen
ninjette.org member

Name: Nicholle (Nikki)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Road rage is very hard to avoid...I experience my first when getting on the freeway onramp..slowed down on the turn and the car behind me tried to pass me because the lane we were traveling on was wide enuff for the BFA to do so..I threw a one finger salute and traveled on until she pulled up next to me yelling at me and such..then it seemed like she was going to cut me off on the freeway..couldn't understand a word she was saying threw another one finger salute and sped off..that was the last I saw of her when she was getting her cell phone to call who knows who..I had the right of way she didn't..that was the only experience..kinda funny though..
2010Zen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
thats the point

if i could legally buy a handgun and get an open carry license, i would rock that mount
or a leg holster
There is no open carry license. In california open carry is a right and concealed carry is a privelage. Although with open carry the gun needs to be unloaded and the cartridges and/or magazine need to be at least 18 inches away i.e. left side of your belt.

You could also carry a rifle or shotgun on your back as long as the barrel is pointed upwards. I'm sure this would prevent anyone from messing with you. And if you had a pre 1899 antique gun you could carry that loaded/concealed whatever you want! Because antique guns in the governments eyes are not guns at all.

I'm working on getting my repilica 1887 so I can ride around terminator style
terminator.jpg
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #26
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

Armed and Dangerous

To all of the armed and dangerous buckaroos riding the tarmac with weapons strapped to your bikes and bodies, be careful who you draw on boys. Threatening a cager with a weapon, any weapon, is an open invitation to be run down, run over, or run in.

Happy trails, boys.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #27
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

It's also an invitation to become a felon. You never point a gun at someone unless you plan on using it.

Old July 10th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #28
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

Thumbs up Armed and Dangerous

The real answer to what to do when encountering freakin' morons, bozos, lunatics, and, indeed, the more-than-a-few assholes that populate our highways (and to avoid road rage) is 1) as safely and quickly as possible do everything necessary to get away from the threat 2) Be composed and focused before resuming your ride, and 3) add to your repertoire of riding stories to share with friends.

Safe riding, happy trails.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #29
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
It's also an invitation to become a felon. You never point a gun at someone unless you plan on using it.
Sadly, in FL threatening with a gun will get you 5 years minimum mandatory. If you kill someone threatening you, then that is legal. Bottom line, learn to shoot left handed.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #30
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

You should have taken off your helmet while you're doing 65 and threw it at his windshield. Then proceed to pop wheelies every 3 feet.

Old July 11th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #31
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
You certainly handled it better than I would have... I would have brought the bike to a stop in the middle of the road and discussed the proper following distance with the person. I find people are really angry until you politely knock on the window with the knuckle guards on your gloves.....
Been there, done that. Cause sometimes people just don't understand. THe only problem is that you never know when it's gonna be some crackpot armed to the teeth. I've done it a few times now, and fortunately it's ended well each tiome (for me, at least).
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #32
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

I road rage every day. Just to myself though. I've accepted the fact long ago that you only need a heartbeat (and just barely) to get a drivers license. So I plan on every cager (and unfortunately) some motorcyclists to be complete idiots when I'm on the road. One thing I have noticed recently is when I'm riding with my hi-viz yellow vest on very few cagers tailgate me (when I'm on the Ninja or Goldwing). I must look like a cop to them.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #33
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
What I do to avoid road rage when I've angered someone is ride within 5 mph of the speed limit like normal traffic, pull off to let them pass, or pick a driveway to turn into, or go around the block. If I honestly cannot find one of those options and I know the road well, we all know that not many average drivers of normal skill can keep up with a biker on a road they know... even then I'm just looking to lose line of sight so I can turn off
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #34
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Been there, done that. Cause sometimes people just don't understand. THe only problem is that you never know when it's gonna be some crackpot armed to the teeth. I've done it a few times now, and fortunately it's ended well each tiome (for me, at least).
I live in California short of a cop there is rather strict laws for gun possession. Plus I live in a nice area not many gun toting drug dealers or felons, just lots of absent minded a$$holes.

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #35
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Count to ten and let the driver pass. It allows you to cool off and plus on a Ninja 250 you will never ever be able to catch back up with them !

Old July 11th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #36
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Here in Canada it is rare to have another motorist pull or even have a gun on them for that fact. The driveres here are just beyond ignorant and couldnt give 2 sh*ts about you or where you want to go on the road its all about them. I have had people cut across 3 lanes of traffic on the highway to get off at an exit almost causing numerious accidents and putting countless peoples lives in danger all for what, So they didnt have to get off 2 kms further??? To me this seems just as if not more dangerious than driving with people who carry guns

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #37
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

Wow, that must have been scary. It sounds like you did everything you COULD do. You tried to let him pass, you tried to get off his road, you tried to ditch him, what more COULD you do without pulling off to the shoulder, which their wasn't a shoulder to pull off to. And even if you could pull over, what do you do if he pulls over too? That's why I pack a 9mm either on my person or in my tank bag.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #38
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
Wow, that must have been scary. It sounds like you did everything you COULD do. You tried to let him pass, you tried to get off his road, you tried to ditch him, what more COULD you do without pulling off to the shoulder, which their wasn't a shoulder to pull off to. And even if you could pull over, what do you do if he pulls over too? That's why I pack a 9mm either on my person or in my tank bag.
It's all about the .45! I wouldn't carry anything less than a .40, not that we Californians can carry anyway
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #39
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

One day when I get my funds allocated properly, I'm gonna get a Springfield 1911 GI model with a shaved tang. Until then, all my carry pieces are 9mm's. Lots of rounds. As long as your a OK shot, 9mm is plenty enough.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:07 AM   #40
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
One day when I get my funds allocated properly, I'm gonna get a Springfield 1911 GI model with a shaved tang. Until then, all my carry pieces are 9mm's. Lots of rounds. As long as your a OK shot, 9mm is plenty enough.
That is the problem. How do you shoot left handed over your shoulder and hit what you are aiming for? Laser sight? View it through the mirror? For a caliber, its better to pick something that can penetrate the windshield, or better yet, the engine block.

For the windshield, good old fashioned range rounds are probably the best (short of going to steel cores). I use kill rounds for the house, but they are pretty much useless trying to get through a windshield.

A 45 cal is too slow and heavy for shooting at life threatening people in cars. It has great knock down ability for a burglar, but to have good metal/safety glass penetration, you need something small and fast. Last I heard, the military uses a 223 which is basically a 22 with a mountain of powder behind it.

But as much as I like to shoot bad people, I think that something like a spike chain would be better. A spike chain is a short chain with bent horseshoe nails welded to it. When their tire runs it over, they get a flat. If they are tailgating you, its shouldn't be a problem to drop it in their tire tracks.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote