ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #1
CodeProofMonk
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250

Two crashes in three days

I've enjoyed reading about the misfortune of others here so I thought I'd share my crash stories as well.

In mid May I decided to take a week off work spend it riding leisurely through northern Arizona. I'd been anxious to do some touring on my Bandit 1200. Ultimately, I wanted to go to the Grand Canyon and see the Skywalk.

On the second day a cold front moved in and made it too cold for the gear I had packed so I decided to head back towards Phoenix via Lake Roosevelt.

As I was riding next to the lake on AZ 188, I came up on a right hand blind turn. As I approached I noticed a box truck emerging from the turn in the opposite direction. A few seconds later a yellow Civic came roaring around the box truck, passing it in my lane. I dove into the shoulder to avoid a head-on collision, hit the brakes, and the bike low-sided on the gravel shoulder. Neither the Civic, nor the truck stopped to see if I was okay. My gear did it's job and I escaped with a bruised wrist, scraped knee, and miscellaneous other small pains. I was able to ride the bike back home. The only damage being a few new scrapes.

After recuperating for a day and fully inspecting the bike I thought go for a local ride. A 'get back on the horse' kind of thing. So I rode up to Tortilla Flats which is a nice twisty road. The way there was uneventful.

On the return trip my confidence was high (too high, actually) and I decided to pick up the pace. Shortly thereafter I exited a turn too fast and was unable to get good shape on the next one. As I entered the turn the situation became painfully clear. I clearly remember hoping that I could get away with a tiny bit of front break to help the situation. I couldn't. Front end tucked and I slid and tumbled off onto the shoulder.

My gear once again did it's job. I sprained my wrist, cracked a rib, and had minor road rash on my knee and forearm.

This one did much more damage to the bike: bent handlebars, broken gauges, broken rear cowling, broken turn signals, and a whole family tree of scratches and gouges.
CodeProofMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Sorry to hear about the injuries and all. Guess it just wasn't your day(s).

Hope you and the bike heal up OK.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #3
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
damn... that horse doesn't want to be broken does it. hope you and the bike heal up quick.

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #5
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

Sorry to hear that, heal up quick.
vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote