ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 31st, 2011, 02:38 PM   #1
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Carbon fiber helmet vs Other composites

Well with the money I have left I figure may as well get a great helmet, just wondering about the difference between carbon fibre or others. I know it will be a bit lighter (my wallet will be also) but will it provide drastically improved protection or just a marginal increase? is it worth an extra $100? Not sure what to look for besides a helmet with the right fit. Trying to find bell helmets in vancouver is a PITA also.

Thinking about the bell star rally or Cerwinski Carbon (soooo awesome)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bell rally.jpg (49.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Cerwinski Carbon.jpg (26.4 KB, 7 views)
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
That is an expensive helmet! I wouldn't pay that much, unless I had a good paying job. I'd be really worried about leaving it anywhere though.

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:44 PM   #3
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I'm also planning on gettin myself a B-STAR, I heard good things about them
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Name: Dr. Ew

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250

carbon fiber shell b nice but i'd be more concerned with the material beyond that. If i read about helmets right, that material is the part that handles the impact more than anything, yet the shell also works together with it. Check out Shark with their carbon fiber shells and they say that it helps spread the impact throughtout the entire helmet. gLuck with the new Lid and post pics of what you choose and review please.
Dr. Ew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:54 PM   #5
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Most if not all certified snell/dot/ece helmets will protect well. The material differences generally come down to other features like weight and balance of the helmet. Helmets with lighter materials like carbon fibre will feel lighter but protect just as well.

If you are looking for an awesome helmet, make sure it's certified, fits YOUR head well, and everything else is gravy.

I have a Scorpion EXO-400 helmet. I love it but when I purchase my next helmet, these are the features i'm thinking of including.

1) modular - so that I can easily access the front facial space. for example if i wanted to get a drink or talk to someone directly.
2) drop down visor or bell's photochromatic face shield.
3) keep the great fog free coating that scorpions have
4) better venting
5) last but not least AWESOME graphics
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:04 PM   #6
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

carbon

helmet weights, easier on the neck it all falls on the design and features that you like.what up rider DREW

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:23 PM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Most if not all certified snell/dot/ece helmets will protect well. The material differences generally come down to other features like weight and balance of the helmet. Helmets with lighter materials like carbon fibre will feel lighter but protect just as well.

If you are looking for an awesome helmet, make sure it's certified, fits YOUR head well, and everything else is gravy.

I have a Scorpion EXO-400 helmet. I love it but when I purchase my next helmet, these are the features i'm thinking of including.

1) modular - so that I can easily access the front facial space. for example if i wanted to get a drink or talk to someone directly.
4) better venting
Scorpion EXO-700 Predator Helmet

I noticed you have a green bike..here is a helmet that sadly isn't modular, but those can flip-up in an accident. It doesn't have a drop down visor, but just get a tinted shield or sunglasses. It's a Scorpion and it is compatible with the "Everclear" shield. It has better venting (or so I'm told). They have a green version with awesome graphics..I would get this helmet if I had a green bike. It has a nose breath shield. Lastly, it's Snell rated.

AFX FX-100 Multi Helmet

Okay. Once again I don't recommend the Flip-Up/Modular Helmet. Anyway, it has ear cavity space for speakers. It has a flush-fit, side-coverless face shield that is optically correct, compound-curved, scratch-resistant and protects against UV-rays. I don't know about the venting...read the reviews. This does have a dark smoke, tinted one touch, inner flip down, sun shield system. This isn't Snell rated but does have DOT certification. It uses the same outer shields as the FX-90 street helmet. Lastly, it comes with a cloth carrying bag. This helmet has more color choices.

Though notice, I picked these two helmets because of the graphics, there are base models and other variations.

-All are available in green and an array of different colors.

I would recommend the first one because it has a Snell certification, but that's just me.

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Name: Dr. Ew

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEXSPEED View Post
helmet weights, easier on the neck it all falls on the design and features that you like.what up rider DREW
Hewwo Dex. Thought i'd get more active in ninjette and toss my lil 2 pennies around.

Sadly i went straight to a Shoei RF-1100 so i don't know what to compare it to. but ya as dex said, design and features lead me to the shoei.
Dr. Ew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:37 PM   #9
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Scorpion EXO-700 Predator Helmet

I noticed you have a green bike..here is a helmet that sadly isn't modular, but those can flip-up in an accident. It doesn't have a drop down visor, but just get a tinted shield or sunglasses. It's a Scorpion and it is compatible with the "Everclear" shield. It has better venting (or so I'm told). They have a green version with awesome graphics..I would get this helmet if I had a green bike. It has a nose breath shield. Lastly, it's Snell rated.

AFX FX-100 Multi Helmet

Okay. Once again I don't recommend the Flip-Up/Modular Helmet. Anyway, it has ear cavity space for speakers. It has a flush-fit, side-coverless face shield that is optically correct, compound-curved, scratch-resistant and protects against UV-rays. I don't know about the venting...read the reviews. This does have a dark smoke, tinted one touch, inner flip down, sun shield system. This isn't Snell rated but does have DOT certification. It uses the same outer shields as the FX-90 street helmet. Lastly, it comes with a cloth carrying bag. This helmet has more color choices.

Though notice, I picked these two helmets because of the graphics, there are base models and other variations.

-All are available in green and an array of different colors.

I would recommend the first one because it has a Snell certification, but that's just me.
Thanks for the input. I'm actually looking at a Shark Evoline 2 in white. Where have you heard that modular helmets flip up in an accident? Most of the latches are pretty solid and the only real drawback is more weight and noise.

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM   #10
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

I've had a Bell star for over a year and I can say I'm glad I didn't spend the extra on a carbon version, the thing is fairly light and I haven't experienced any strain from wearing it. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that its very loud, plan on wearing ear plugs. Mine was only $200 new, from a closeout website here.
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 10:06 PM   #11
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

+ 1 on the noise-flows a lot of air-don't know about winter usage and sizing is 1-2 sizes smaller than other helmets-can't go wrong with shark,arai, or shoei-for something as important as a helmet you should only buy premium
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:07 AM   #12
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

heading to a giant warehouse of gear tomorrow. Getting stoked!! will upload pics of the lid soon.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:10 AM   #13
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

If you dont use headphones while you ride you might want to try putting some quilt batting in those spaces for sound deadening, I'm going to try it out this weekend.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:34 AM   #14
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
More important than Carbon fiber vs. traditional is the fit of the helmet. Be sure to get a helmet that works for your head shape, and be sure to try on the helmet first. You may be surprised that a well reviewed, technical helmet feels worse on your head than an inexpensive mass-market model. Bell Stars have a reputation for being a bit narrow, for example, and if you have a rounder head, you may want to look at something like the Kali Naza Carbon for a carbon fiber helmet that is extremely well priced and a bit on the round side.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm has very good information about helmet shapes and reviews, but it won't substitute for actually going and trying one on.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Stormshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Dylan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE:WHITE

Have you tried the HJC FS-15 Carbon? They are on Amazon for 200 (down from 4-500 a year or so ago)
Stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

In regards to protection, as long as it is Snell/DoT/ECE certified, the protection level is going to be comparable. What you get when you start go up in the price range is all the little things that make it more comfortable to wear: venting/weight/shield features/more intricate designs.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:33 AM   #17
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Maybe it's wrong of me, but I just couldn't fathom spending six bills on a Bell.

Just because two different brand helmets have the same certs, that doesn't mean that they provide the same level of protection. It also doesn't mean they have the same fit nor quality of build.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM   #18
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Only $250 for the star at the previously linked site.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Just get a cardboard box and stuff it with pillows

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM   #20
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Maybe it's wrong of me, but I just couldn't fathom spending six bills on a Bell.

Just because two different brand helmets have the same certs, that doesn't mean that they provide the same level of protection. It also doesn't mean they have the same fit nor quality of build.
How would you judge level of protection then? I understand that off brands might not be as good but all certified helmets from well known brands have very comparable protection. It's not like you can assume $600 helmets to be 6x more protective than say a $100 helmet given the same certifications and reputable branding.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:14 PM   #21
rockNroll

Quote:
How would you judge level of protection then? I understand that off brands might not be as good but all certified helmets from well known brands have very comparable protection. It's not like you can assume $600 helmets to be 6x more protective than say a $100 helmet given the same certifications and reputable branding.
I never said anything about 6x more protective, where did you get that? Shame on you. Your post is just silly.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM   #22
bettysmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ex250 (Blue)

Quote:
I never said anything about 6x more protective, where did you get that? Shame on you. Your post is just silly.
Quote:

bettysmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM   #23
setasai

Quote:
I was just using an extreme example. You voiced your opinion that the certifications do not correlate to comparable levels of protection. I just wanted to say that not even that large difference in cost would make a difference in protection as long as it's certified to protect and from a reputable brand/company.

You are right though. 6x more protective is absurd.

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM   #24
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

The more expensive helmets are more expensive because of there features. Head checking at 100mph with a crap helmet will hurt, with a nice helmet it cuts the air. Nice helmets flow more air, have a wider field of vision, lighter, quieter, the list goes on.

And for shark, stay away from them at this point. There pulling there distribution for the US so trying to get any warranty issues dealt with will be a bitch. I have a shark, love it but im now kinda sol if anything happens

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM   #25
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
And for shark, stay away from them at this point. There pulling there distribution for the US so trying to get any warranty issues dealt with will be a bitch. I have a shark, love it but im now kinda sol if anything happens
Really? That's a bummer. I love their design for the Evoline modular helmets. I think its very unique and could be refined to become much better. Thanks for the heads up.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:40 AM   #26
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:

Sorry to slightly derail the topic, But...
Are there any helmets besides scorpion that have that? I have the EXO-500 and am pretty sure I didnt get the right fitting size (too small). So I'm thinking I'll go try other helmets on. It's the fog free stuff that keeps me with scorpion. Are there other helmets with fog free visors?
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:25 AM   #27
Stormshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Dylan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE:WHITE

The HJC FS 15 Carbon I mentioned has a pinlock system in it. I have one, and it is very effective. You can change out the pinlocks for different colors (i.e. tinted) and they are easy to change out, and do a great job at keeping out fog.

For 200 bucks, the HJC FS15 is a really good deal! It is also DOT/SNELL
Stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:32 AM   #28
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
In regards to protection, as long as it is Snell/DoT/ECE certified, the protection level is going to be comparable. What you get when you start go up in the price range is all the little things that make it more comfortable to wear: venting/weight/shield features/more intricate designs.
There is more to helmet protection that the certifications, DOT especially. DOT does not require a company to prove that they have actually tested the helmet. DOT simply takes a company's word for it. There are two helmet companies I have corresponded with that have flatly refused to provide any testing data, or even to respond with an affirmative that their helmets have been tested. What I think happened is that the US companies sourced the helmet with a factory, in China, purchasing the helmet with the FACTORY's assertion that they are DOT rated. The factory may not have done any actual testing. In one case I actually called the factory and talked to the factory manager (I speak Chinese and do commercial promotion work), who didn't even know what the DOT standards were, said that he never actually tested for DOT standards, but said that his helmet could legally have DOT stickers in the U.S. Um, yeah, right.

The DOT standard is a good one, it is just that it isn't enforced, which makes it somewhat risky to rely on. If you go with a name helmet manufacturer, someone established who can be trusted to have actually done DOT testing, you'll be fine. Scorpion, HJC, Arai, etc. However, if you go with an off-brand, trusting that any DOT cert is as good as another, you may be putting your life at risk.

It is for this reason that I support the Snell standards and think one should usually go with a Snell rated helmet when in the U.S. Those are actually tested by Snell, certification is enforced and tightly controlled. There is serious debate about whether Snell helmets have padding that is too stiff, providing better high speed protection for racing, but actually providing worse protection for most street riding. However, the fact that the testing of the helmet is actually confirmed, done independently, and that Snell enforces their certifications makes it, to me, the superior standard.

But Snell ratings costs $$, and if you shop for a Snell helmet, you are going to pay for it. Scorpion provides one of the very few really good lower cost options there. Personally, I go with an Arai.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:03 AM   #29
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

ECE ratings are also better than DOT since they also do mandatory batch testing from manufacturers, on every model of helmet. They're more comparable to snell. Sparx helmets are on the low price end and carry ECE ratings.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc.../ece-22-05.htm

Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:09 AM   #30
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Just because two different brand helmets have the same certs, that doesn't mean that they provide the same level of protection.
In the case of Snell/ECE ratings, it does mean that they all provide a MINIMUM level of protection. That's what people need to remember. Just like Honko said, the extra money you pay is for the bells and whistles. The EXO-400 will protect just the same as my RF-1100, but it's not as light and doesn't flow like it either. As long as both are Snell/ECE certified, you can at least be assured you'll be protected the same way.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM   #31
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
In the case of Snell/ECE ratings, it does mean that they all provide a MINIMUM level of protection.
Yes, you can assume a minimum level with a given cert. How far beyond that minimum would you like your helmet to be? It's not only bells n whistles, kiddies.

"Snell and DOT standards are baselines, not objectives. The starting point, not the goal." <-Arai helmets

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #32
setasai

Sure you can assume minimal level of protection but how would as a consumer assess anything past that?

As for the DOT standards, I know it's not enforced which is why I also added "from a reputable company". I understand it might not be exactly the same level of protection but I highly doubt that as long as it is certified to DOT/SNELL/ECE and from a REPUTABLE brand that you'd have that large of a difference.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:26 AM   #33
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Yes, you can assume a minimum level with a given cert. How far beyond that minimum would you like your helmet to be? It's not only bells n whistles, kiddies.

"Snell and DOT standards are baselines, not objectives. The starting point, not the goal." <-Arai helmets
The problem is that there is no quantifiable proof that there is a "beyond" the minimum. You say it's not just bells and whistles. Can you offer us what more there is? It's like you asking me what color my bike is and I say "Well, it's not black." You're suggesting that there are helmets out there that offer more/better protection than the low-cost certified helmets, but have yet to give us one example. Also, one would think that if there were, indeed, different levels of protection offered by helmet manufacturers, that they would include that in their marketing to up-sell their higher priced helmets.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM   #34
rockNroll

This knowledge I have acquired over many years, there's no "link." I had to ride a lot, with many people, race a bunch, with many people, see many people crash with high end helmets, see many crash with low end (but still w/ certs) helmets, wear a bunch of high end helmets, wear a bunch of low end helmets, crash with both, etc. I offer this knowledge to you without you having to do all what I did to acquire it. You can do with it what you like. My head is worth more than a $175 helmet with certs.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:02 PM   #35
setasai

Quote:
This knowledge I have acquired over many years, there's no "link." I had to ride a lot, with many people, race a bunch, with many people, see many people crash with high end helmets, see many crash with low end (but still w/ certs) helmets, wear a bunch of high end helmets, wear a bunch of low end helmets, crash with both, etc. I offer this knowledge to you without you having to do all what I did to acquire it. You can do with it what you like. My head is worth more than a $175 helmet with certs.
I dont doubt that there are $175 helmets that are probably DOT without being actually certifiably DOT, however, to say that all under $200 helmets are less protective and that protection increases with spending more money is hogwash.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:29 AM   #36
rockNroll

Quote:
I dont doubt that there are $175 helmets that are probably DOT without being actually certifiably DOT, however, to say that all under $200 helmets are less protective and that protection increases with spending more money is hogwash.
I never deal in hogwash

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:32 AM   #37
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Good point, Brian. Key for me is to be careful and thoughtful about your helmet selection, and not just go for price. Scorpion and HJC helmets seem like two very good, safe value options. You can also buy a $600 helmet and not have a good fit, or not use the chin strap, or wear a dark smoke shield at night - all of which I see all the time - and ruin the safety value.

But, you do tend to get other benefits from moving upmarket. In addition to the certainty that the certs are valid, you (often) get weight benefits, noise, comfort, etc. The difference between my Arai and my HJC is marked.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:02 AM   #38
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Hey icon has the best helmets they have all the certs ;] jk i know nada of there helmets.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 09:19 AM   #39
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
But, you do tend to get other benefits from moving upmarket. In addition to the certainty that the certs are valid, you (often) get weight benefits, noise, comfort, etc. The difference between my Arai and my HJC is marked.
It seems we are in agreement here. I do not deny any of this. I'm feeling lazy so end discussion.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM   #40
austinm911
ninjette.org member

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:

4) better venting
If you'd like, I have a spare helmet I could sell :P. A shoei multitec black matte in L. My dad used it for about 500 miles, and then wanted to buy a rf-1100 lol.
austinm911 is offline   Reply With Quote