ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
motorcycle_munge
ninjette.org member

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Long trips

Any one have any suggestions how to make a long ride more comfortable? Earlier this week my husband and I went on a trip...it wasn't too bad going because we stopped half way and spent the night. On the way back we rode 100 miles straight through. I was very uncomfortable about half way through so we had to stop to take a break.
motorcycle_munge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #2
kkim

that depends... what is it that got uncomfortable?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #3
motorcycle_munge
ninjette.org member

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

It was my shoulders....I tried leaning forward, which was difficult between the tank bag and the back pack I had on, but sitting up wasn't comfortable either.
motorcycle_munge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #4
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

How much did you have in the backpack ... ? lighten up. My husband and I are usually out 3-4 hours straight (highway driving). I haven't had any issues yet but if you need it take the breaks. Better to be safe and comfortable than make a costly error and not enjoy your ride.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Chances are it was probably the long hours with the back pack. I normally travel with one but if you aren't used to it that could be the problem. I find that my shoulders start to hurt because all of the weight there and then the wind pushing on the pack adds up.

You might want to look into saddlebags or a tail bag (I have one of those too but only use it for overnights). Coretech makes a set that seem to work for both gens.

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

One thing that may help would be to loosen up your grip on the bars. I used to get quite a shoulder pain after an hour or two, and was able to fix it almost immediately by changing that one thing.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #7
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

One way to make long trips more comfortable is to get a goldwing I can't do more than an hour on the interstate before I have to take a break. +1 on loosenig your grip on the bars.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Ditch the backpack! With that extra weight on your back while you're leaned over the tank, it's no wonder your shoulders were killing you!

Sore shoulder or upper arms are a good sign that you have a death grip on the bars. Relax and loosen your grip on the handles - this is supposed to be fun, remember?

Old May 16th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I rode with a back pack but the weight would be resting on my tail bag and not my back or shoulders,
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 12:38 AM   #10
Angel-be-Good
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '11 Street Triple R

I use a backpack to bring shoes and my laptop to work, I feel almost naked riding without it. Today I did 100 miles with the backpack on, no pains.

...Though today the backpack was only carrying a thermal liner, my wallet, and a rose for the girlfriend.

Old May 17th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #11
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Hey Ryan! Beautiful avitar! Love it!

One thing you can do to test your shoulders, is to flap your arms as you go along... Like a chicken, while still holding the bars... That loosens your arms (A friend taught me that when I first started and she said I looked stiff). You don't have to do it all the time but randomly (hopefully not in the middle of a turn or unsafe moment) just to remind your body to relax.

Sometimes I forget to ease up on the handlebars and have to remind myself that they are handle bars not death grip bars.

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Ditch the backpack! With that extra weight on your back while you're leaned over the tank, it's no wonder your shoulders were killing you!

Sore shoulder or upper arms are a good sign that you have a death grip on the bars. Relax and loosen your grip on the handles - this is supposed to be fun, remember?

+1 on losing the backpack. If I am riding for more then 30 minutes and need the extra storage, I either use my tank bag or a set of soft saddle bags.

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #13
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

You really need to ditch the backpack. I regularly make a 1000 mile round trip to visit my 96 year old mother. I do the 500 mile one way with four rest stops. I also use secondary roads--so I get an ocassional break from doing 65. A tank bag, tail bag, and saddle bags do it for me. Everything is packed in Zip Loc bags. I seal them almost all the way and sit on them. This evacuates the air and then I seal them the rest of the way.' It compacts clothes very well and keeps them dry. The arm flapping that Sunny described works exceptionally well. I do the "Funky Chicken" on my long distance bicycle rides as well. A loose grip on the bars is a must.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #14
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I use a backpack when I need more room, but I prefer a tank bag.

I have a hernianted disk L5-S1 that compounded over several minor injuries. When it flares up I can't even walk and I even loose Bowl controll That is really embarising and wrong.I have seen many nuerologists and orthopedist, but I've heard too many stories of "F"ed up back surgeries (My mother for one) to get it fixed.

I use a backpack ocasionally if I need more room, but I put the lightest things in the back pack and make sure the straps are good an tight.

I know I'll be in a when I'm old, but I found that riding regularly has actually helped me out quite a bit. The vibrations along with the subtle flexing and tightening of the back muscles is as good as any physical theropy I have been through.

My is to use a tank and saddle bags as much as possible and save your back and shoulders. Back packs should be kept light and tight.

Old May 19th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Sailariel

Travis, Sounds like you have your act together. I,too have a spine that looks like a question mark thanks to South Asian War Games. Motorcycling is good and does help your back. You might want to supplement that with a good road bike--the pedaling variety. I was injured in my 20`s and have turned down many a scalpel happy surgeon. I am now 68, and am having a blast. Get a bike and develop a gym routine. I expect to ride a sportbike when I am 80. L2,3 and 4 are herniated. Excercise, a good diet, and NO drugs is the way to go. Can you bench press 200lbs ? I can.

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:42 AM   #16
tjkamper

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Travis, Sounds like you have your act together. I,too have a spine that looks like a question mark thanks to South Asian War Games. Motorcycling is good and does help your back. You might want to supplement that with a good road bike--the pedaling variety. I was injured in my 20`s and have turned down many a scalpel happy surgeon. I am now 68, and am having a blast. Get a bike and develop a gym routine. I expect to ride a sportbike when I am 80. L2,3 and 4 are herniated. Excercise, a good diet, and NO drugs is the way to go. Can you bench press 200lbs ? I can.
Yeah about a year ago I started doing moderate weight training again. I hadn't done any since I was right out of High School.

I was an all around jock in Hight School and I maxed out at 285lbs during the school "Lift-a-thon" my Junior year; but I tore my ACL and had a petelar tendon graphed done and lost my hopes of playing college BaseBall. (The Atheletic Director and the Varsity Coach basically came to an agreement that they would not play me when I came back my senior year. This really pissed me off, since I was starting Varsity 2nd Base as a Freshman. Basically the school saw me as a liability and nolonger as an investment since I was injured and a senior).

Now I bench four sets of 10 - 12 reps with 155 three times a week plus bis tris lats and abs between sets. My work provides a Gym and makes it easy for me to squeek the exersize in. Since I started I have dropped from 180lbs to 165lbs, plus a lot of pants I used to wear fit again. YEAH! I'm back the weight I was when I graduated from High School, but I still have a gut and not as much muscle mass. My goal is to completely loose the gut and get back down to a 30-31in pant size. I'm at 33 right now. All my 34s are too big.

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #17
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

I'm looking for some advice on a long trip. I'm planing to go out to New Brunswick for the summer. I'll take my new 250 on the ferry from Goose Bay to Lewisporte and then ride across Newfoundland to Port aux Basques and take another ferry across to Nova Scotia and then drive to my summer home just across the border in New Brunswick. I've done it many times by car but want to try in with the 250. Google says it's approx 1000km not counting the ferry rides.

I have no experience with touring on any kind of motorcycle; just around town here. How would you attempt the trip or am I just naive and I should buy a trailer?
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #18
tjkamper

If you are used to riding I would definately consider making the trip. It was suggested to me that new riders should not ride more than 300 miles a day (just under 500km).

If there are lots of places to stop for food and beverages, plus a good spot to stay the night at the halfway point, I would do it. If not and you don't feel confident, I would recommend making a few shorter trips to get your feet wet before making this long trek.

Old May 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #19
IlBLisSlI
i'm a cow killer

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250r

i'm not sure if this is allowed but you may want to check out this thread on the other forum. this dude took his new 250 cross country http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread...02#post1299502
IlBLisSlI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #20
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Here's what my trip looks like

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #21
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Drew

Just read that thread of the cross USA trip. Fantastic. I wish I had done that at that age. The best I did was across Canada and back in a Datsun 510. I won't say how long ago that was.

Old May 20th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #22
Sailariel

Don, Definitely doable, Great itinerary! Get yourself some saddle bags,a tail bag, and a tank bag. Dowco makes a great set. When you pack your clothes, put them in a Zip Loc bag and seal the bag 99%. Then sit on the bag to evacuate the air and seal it the rest of the way. This will compact the bag and keep your clothes dry. I pack everything in Zip loc bags. You can put literally twice as much stuff in your bags. Enjoy your trip. It is a beautiful area. Last year we toured the Gaspe Peninsula.

Old May 20th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #23
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
I'm looking for some advice on a long trip. I'm planing to go out to New Brunswick for the summer. I'll take my new 250 on the ferry from Goose Bay to Lewisporte and then ride across Newfoundland to Port aux Basques and take another ferry across to Nova Scotia and then drive to my summer home just across the border in New Brunswick. I've done it many times by car but want to try in with the 250. Google says it's approx 1000km not counting the ferry rides.

I have no experience with touring on any kind of motorcycle; just around town here. How would you attempt the trip or am I just naive and I should buy a trailer?
I strongly suggest u bring your bike in a trailer.
#1 reason Newfounland is a very windy place especially the wreckhouse
#2 reason the ride is way too long for a beginner
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #24
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Go for it! Sounds like a fun trip to me...

Old May 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #25
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Yep Newfoundland is windy all along the west coast. The summer is a good time though as the weather is better. I am patient and willing to wait for calmer days. thanks for the advice