ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #1
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

stop lights

Did a search on stop lights and didn't find any.What do we do about stop lights not knowing i'm there waiting for it to change

Old May 17th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #2
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

Not entirely sure I understand your question, but if you're asking what to do as far as the bike: IMO, keep the bike in first (never know when you need to make a quick exit) and keep both feet on the ground...

If you're talking about waiting for a light to change because of a weight sensor: There aren't any really easy answers. You can try rolling the bike back and forth over the sensor, or you can (legally) make a right hand turn, then another right or just wait for another car..thats the extent of my knowledge lol
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #3
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

hmmm ok what i'm asking is there something for our bike to have on them to help out with stop lights taking so long to change,i have been at stop lights waiting forever when no one is behind me

Old May 17th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #4
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RLC-4...QQcmdZViewItem

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #5
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

Oh ok yea lol wasn't sure. I'd love to hear from someone who has tried these. I haven't run across too many lights that won't change here in GA but that would be pretty cool if that magnet really works.
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #6
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ghlight=magnet
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #7
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

If the light doesn't change for the low amount of metal mass in your motorcycle, treat it like a malfunctioning light or a stop sign and proceed when safe to do so.

When you have a chance, call your local road department and report the problem. They can and should readjust the sensor for the light.

Old May 17th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #8
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

In MSF they taught us to go to the middle of the lane if we are riding alone and to stop about a yard before the limit line. That will usually center your bike over any sensors if the cuts are not visible on the road.

If you are to the side there is a higher likelyhood that you will not be detected. If you can see the cuts in the road stop right on top of them.

Here in Utah I can rarely see the cuts, but since I learned this trick I have not had any problem with sensors.

Old May 17th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I hear putting that magnet on your kickstand, and putting your kickstand down on the ground works pretty good too. I'm not sure how valid this is, as I've never attempted it yet....but find the strongest "earth" magnet available and have it handy
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #10
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
Here in Utah I can rarely see the cuts, but since I learned this trick I have not had any problem with sensors.
For the most part that works, but sooner or later you will meet up with a sensor that is not that sensitive, and won't detect your bike.

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

There is a set of traffic lights by my work that will not pick me up at all when turning right. I just go right through the intersection past the stop line and wait for a car to come up behind me and trip the sensor. Or I will continue straight instead of turning.

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #12
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

Wear one of these:

It works. Honest
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #13
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

thanks Kelly i couldn't find that

Old May 17th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #14
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

so what is the real solution? i merely avoid left turns and plan my trip accordingly with U-turns and rights at night.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #15
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I hear putting that magnet on your kickstand, and putting your kickstand down on the ground works pretty good too. I'm not sure how valid this is, as I've never attempted it yet....but find the strongest "earth" magnet available and have it handy
If it's recommended you leave your bike in gear when at intersections so you can get out of the way in an emergency situation, Putting your side stand down will turn off the engine. Then you will need to put the stand back up and restart to poll out.

Or you could shift it up into neutral and put it down, but then you still have to kick it up and then shift down to first.

Either way I can just see the theatrics as people get impatient as you forget to put your stand up and can't figure out why your engine won't start. (Just like being stuck behind a 15 year old driving a manual transmision for the first time.

Either way, I've heard that magnets don't do anything. It is all about where you position the bike and the amount of metal on it. I think sm0kediver's got the right idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0kediver View Post
Wear one of these:

It works. Honest

Old May 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #16
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I usualy set the bike at the very corner of the sensor wire in the road. It triggers the light that way around 95 percent of the time.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #17
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I usualy set the bike at the very corner of the sensor wire in the road. It triggers the light that way around 95 percent of the time.
I think the OP's question was more on what to do that 5% of the time when the light isn't triggered.

If there is a car stopped behind you, you can roll forward as far as is safe, and motion the car behind you to pull forward. Some cagers will understand, while others will stare at you and not have a clue.

If no one is behind you, sit it out and treat the malfunctioning light as if it were a stop sign. When you get a chance you can call the local roads department and make a complaint that the sensor wasn't working well.

I've heard of a couple of guys getting ticketed by the police for doing this, despite explaining to the cop that the light couldn't detect the motorcycle. I guess in a case like this all you can do is take it to court and hope you have a reasonable judge.

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #18
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Another trick I learned was to bump the starter button while you're sitting there. I haven't been stuck at a light since I heard that... don't know if it actually works, or if I am getting fed up about the time that it's going to trigger...
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Another trick I learned was to bump the starter button while you're sitting there. I haven't been stuck at a light since I heard that... don't know if it actually works, or if I am getting fed up about the time that it's going to trigger...
Please don't do that. You never want to bump the starter while the engine is running.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #20
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Please don't do that. You never want to bump the starter while the engine is running.
why not??? it's locked out from engaging if the engine is running.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #21
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjablk08 View Post
hmmm ok what i'm asking is there something for our bike to have on them to help out with stop lights taking so long to change,i have been at stop lights waiting forever when no one is behind me
Here in Maine, one is encouraged to wait a "reasonable" time. After that, you may proceed if there is no traffic. The same rule applies to a broken traffic light--you treat it like a four way stop. We should probably have Cochise weigh in on that one, since he is a Police Officer. I was also in Law Enforcement for 11 years, but it was as a hostage negotiator/psych profiler on the SWAT Team. Not a clue on traffic stuff.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #22
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Last year WA enacted a law that allows motorcycles to turn left at a light that does not detect them after 2 cycles. I haven't had to do that yet, and I figure if a cop was around, they probably wouldn't know about the law. I use to carry a print out of it off the wa.gov website just in case... Best to check your state laws and stick to that.

Also, I've had several times where I had to pull into a cross walk and motion a car behind me to pull forward. That's always worked so far...
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote