ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Angry I got stung by a bee while riding

And it sucked! I was literally down the street from my house when I see the bee about 10 feet away from me. He comes swirling towards my and smacks into my only open patch of skin. My neck. Soon as I felt the little bugger I freaked and tried to brush it off but that just made it angry and he stung me. I was a few houses away at that point and I raced to my driveway put the kick stand down and started stripping off my gear. The little asshole then flew away before I could squash his brains out. I went inside (forgetting my key in my bike) to try and numb the pain with some ice. 8 hours later it still stings, bastard! Come to think of it, it was probably a wasp, I couldn't really tell.

So, have you ever been bitten/stung/facepunched?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
The little asshole then flew away before I could squash his brains out.
I don't know why but that made me laugh hard.

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #3
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

That sucks. XD

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
That sucks. XD
I quite enjoyed it.
AFM #676

Old September 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Here is a story of onother member that got a bee in her "bonnet". http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ghlight=bonnet
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #6
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

I got stung once too Mother F'er hit my neck, stuck, walked down to my chest and stung me! Went away about an hour later and some Bee sting crap. You probably got attacked by a wasp

Old September 9th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

This is why I carry a flamethrower while riding.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #8
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
I have documented my struggles with bees here. I'm up to about 250 bees hit now. To say that it pisses me off would be an understatement. Nearly every day, I get hit with one, some days two. Almost always in the helmet, but they have gotten me in the neck (and stung) and body as well. Massive incentive to ride atgatt.

Scientists could learn about bees by studying why it is that nearly every day one commits suicide on my helmet. Why am I some sort of teenage, emo bee magnet? Perhaps it some sort of Caribbean tribal bee rite of passage thing, where bees must dare to dart out in front of me and live to get favored status in the hive? Maybe I am some sort of bee god, and the bee elders send young virgin bees to me every day for sacrifice to ensure a good honey harvest? Whatever it is I wish they would effing stop.

And no, I do not cross any beehives (that I know of) on my usual route to work. They hit me no matter where I am, on what roads. They just like my green bike with white and black helmet. And they almost always go for the helmet.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #9
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Back when I used to wear an open-faced helmet, a bee flew into the left ear cup while I was doing about 45mph. I felt it crawling on my ear while it buzzed like mad. It wasn't easy to maintain control long enough to pull over and yank the helmet off. I can't believe the little sucker flew away without stinging me.
I know of at least 2 local men who've died after losing control of their bikes when stung by a bee, so I'm very aware of the problems a little insect like this can cause. I've been stung twice more since then, but I'd much rather catch one in my jacket than in my helmet again. That's one of the main reasons I switched a full-face helmet.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #10
Bunker
ninjette.org member

Name: bunker

Motorcycle(s): gold wing 2008

place a dose of Benedryl in your wallet. If stung, or if you have a friend who is allergic gets stung, it could help immensely until medical attention can be reached. bunker
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #11
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Sounds almost identical to my experience 6 months ago. I was going along and the stupid wasp hit my neck and then crawled inside my helmet and stung me. I stopped as fast as I could and tried to get the helmet off to get him out, but he got me anyway. Unfortunately, he got away. If I ever see him again, he's a dead bee for sure.

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #12
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

*Sigh* I always worry about this when I think about when I start riding. Since Im allergic to everything that bites (I.e. Ants, mosquitos, ect) it is assumed that Im allergic to bee stings and what not as well. I have an epipen, but even for safety I just cant see me riding with one. :-\ Your horror stories dont help my fear lol
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:32 AM   #13
tsiratiug
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Triumph Bonneville T100, 2010 Ninja 250R SE (SOLD), 2002 Honda Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
place a dose of Benedryl in your wallet. If stung, or if you have a friend who is allergic gets stung, it could help immensely until medical attention can be reached. bunker

Benadryl is an excellent first aid item for everyone to have on hand. I have to carry an Epipen everywhere I go. Insect venom can induce anaphylactic shock and/or heart attacks in some people. I discovered last year (the really, really hard way) I'm one of those people.
tsiratiug is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #14
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Insects commit suicide on all my gear all the time! Luckily, I have not yet been stung or bitten by anything yet. *Knock on wood*

A few days ago, I was riding and a wasp flew at a good speed into my glove and bounced off and landed on my instrument cluster. Chilled for a few and then flew away.

Old September 9th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #15
itsa250bro
ninjette.org member

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 CP Blue

When I was 17 I totaled my first car when a bee flew in the window and hit me in the face. I freaked out trying to swat him with my right hand - left hand doing the same but still on the wheel. I drove off the road - jumped a ditch and hit a tree. Ironically, I was unscratched after the crash but, got shredded getting out of the car because I landed IN a sticker bush. By the time I got back to the road I was bleeding pretty good - and many cars stopped to help.

Lesson learned - don't freak out - but it is SO hard to remain cool. You did a great job not making a little problem into a BIG problem.

Oh yeah - I killed the bee. I guess I won!!
itsa250bro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM   #16
Apollo626
ninjette.org member

Name: Marcus

Motorcycle(s): Green '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Scientists could learn about bees by studying why it is that nearly every day one commits suicide on my helmet. Why am I some sort of teenage, emo bee magnet?
Maybe your helmet is a particularly attractive color when seen under UV light. Bees are drawn to flowers based on how they appear in the UV spectrum. Do you have a brightly colored helmet? It could be that they think your head is a giant fast moving flower
Apollo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #17
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
They just like my green bike with white and black helmet. And they almost always go for the helmet.
Does your helmet look like a beehive?

setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #18
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I laughed when I saw your macho avatar, with guns and things after reading the title "I got stung by a bee"
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I laughed when I saw your macho avatar, with guns and things after reading the title "I got stung by a bee"
Unfortunately I didnt have my gun with me or I would have sniped his ass before he even got near me
AFM #676

Old September 9th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #20
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Never really been stung but I have had many bees/other insects fly into my helmet and carelessly leave their marks on me
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #21
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Good thing we don't have bees here. And correct me if I'm wrong, I was under the impression that bees will die if they sting you. they're like the Japanese doing some kamikaze mission to protect the empire.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #22
kaiserz

"It's true -- female honeybees die after they sting. Their stingers are actually ovipositors, tubular structures extending from the abdomen that sometimes contain eggs. When the barbed stinger is left inside the victim, the honeybee mortally tears her abdomen in the process. Alas, she dies. "

ovipositors [oh-vuh-poz-i-ter] "o·vi·pos·i·tor" = (in certain female insects) an organ at the end of the abdomen, by which eggs are deposited.

Old September 10th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #23
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

QUIIIIIICK!
Get the eggs out before you turn into a bee hive like on Ninja Scroll.

Oh Jube..
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #24
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
"It's true -- female honeybees die after they sting. Their stingers are actually ovipositors, tubular structures extending from the abdomen that sometimes contain eggs. When the barbed stinger is left inside the victim, the honeybee mortally tears her abdomen in the process. Alas, she dies. "

ovipositors [oh-vuh-poz-i-ter] "o·vi·pos·i·tor" = (in certain female insects) an organ at the end of the abdomen, by which eggs are deposited.
Sorry but no. There is only one female in the honeybee hive and she is known as the queen. She lays eggs, but she never leaves the hive. I'm pretty sure she can't even fly. The ones that sting are worker bees. Its a suicide sting for honeybees, but not for most other bees like wasps and such. There are also male bees and drone bees, but I don't think they do much.

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #25
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Sorry but no. There is only one female in the honeybee hive and she is known as the queen. She lays eggs, but she never leaves the hive. I'm pretty sure she can't even fly. The ones that sting are worker bees. Its a suicide sting for honeybees, but not for most other bees like wasps and such. There are also male bees and drone bees, but I don't think they do much.
That should have been "There is only one fertile female in the hive". All of the worker bees in the hive are female, but they can't procreate, only the queen can do that. All of the bees you see every day in your yard are females. The males (drones) live only for reproduction purposes and they pretty much hang around the hive until called on to do their thing.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #26
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
That should have been "There is only one fertile female in the hive". All of the worker bees in the hive are female, but they can't procreate, only the queen can do that. All of the bees you see every day in your yard are females. The males (drones) live only for reproduction purposes and they pretty much hang around the hive until called on to do their thing.
They're unable to use their female organs for their intended purpose. No wonder they are so mean.

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #27
kaiserz

Quote:
Well said

Old September 11th, 2011, 12:14 PM   #28
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28133

Old September 12th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #29
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
The males (drones) live only for reproduction purposes and they pretty much hang around the hive until called on to do their thing.
I totally have a friend like that. He's great at x-box, though.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #30
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I actually got stung for the first time in my life when I first moved back to CT about 2 months ago. I was riding on some country roads and I felt pain on my neck and I was like WTF was that. It then started hurting and I was like uh did a rock get flung up at me and cause a cut. I kept touching my neck and looking at my gloves, no blood. It really started hurting and I was like wtf happened. I pull over, take off my helmet, unzip my jacket to see my neck better and see a red welt on my neck. All of a sudden i feel 2 pricks on my chest, look down and there is a bee buzzing around my chest/bra. I immediately start freaking out, jumping, drop my helmet and stripping off my gear. Thank goodness it flew off without getting angrier. I was like gee thanks CT for the welcome back... and luckily I found out that I wasn't allergic to bees
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
I actually got stung for the first time in my life when I first moved back to CT about 2 months ago. I was riding on some country roads and I felt pain on my neck and I was like WTF was that. It then started hurting and I was like uh did a rock get flung up at me and cause a cut. I kept touching my neck and looking at my gloves, no blood. It really started hurting and I was like wtf happened. I pull over, take off my helmet, unzip my jacket to see my neck better and see a red welt on my neck. All of a sudden i feel 2 pricks on my chest, look down and there is a bee buzzing around my chest/bra. I immediately start freaking out, jumping, drop my helmet and stripping off my gear. Thank goodness it flew off without getting angrier. I was like gee thanks CT for the welcome back... and luckily I found out that I wasn't allergic to bees
Bee's can only sting once, was it a wasp?
AFM #676

Old September 13th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #32
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Bee's can only sting once, was it a wasp?
Oh it was a bee for sure. There are bees that can sting multiple times (bumblebees for one), it depends if the stinger is pulled from the abdomen when they are trying to pull away after a sting, if it remains they can continue to sting.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #33
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
Oh it was a bee for sure. There are bees that can sting multiple times (bumblebees for one), it depends if the stinger is pulled from the abdomen when they are trying to pull away after a sting, if it remains they can continue to sting.
Stupid bees. They should be illegal
AFM #676

Old September 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #34
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Got stung once when one flew up my sleeve. Then, a week later, one went up my sleeve again, and stung me like 6 times. My forearm ballooned right up. Itched like crazy. Benadryl is the bomb for this. I carry a few in my backpack now.

+1 for benadryl. XD
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote