Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

airbag suit? will it work?

ran into this while looking at random videos on youtube...

Link to original page on YouTube.

wonder how much protection it will provide and if people will actually be willing to give it a try..

opinions?

oh, and not sure which section i shouldve posted this in..so feel free to move it if needed, thanks.

hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM   #2
dmonaco05
ninjette.org member

Name: Dom

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

looks like its more designed to keep the head from floppin around, it must have sucked being the R&D dummy for this haha.
dmonaco05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

They've been trying them out in the 125 and 250 GP series for a few riders for the last year or two, I don't think any of them are commercially available for the street yet. Anything to protect against a catastrophic neck injury seems like a good idea if it is proven to work reasonably well I guess.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM   #4
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I wonder how it detects when to deploy. For everyday use i would be worried if one were to sit down and make the bags deploy =/

other than that, it looks like it does a pretty good job covering the shoulder blades if one were to tumble in that perfect way.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I've been following this development for years. The D-Air system is the most promising system out there. Unfortunately, no plans for importation into the US exist due to prototype phase (no production units available) and litigation.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v_Lucky View Post
I wonder how it detects when to deploy. For everyday use i would be worried if one were to sit down and make the bags deploy =/
From what I have read it is a rip cord that takes somewhere between 45-60 pounds of force to rip. That way if you forget to d/c you will be reminded by a pretty good tug.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #7
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
From what I have read it is a rip cord that takes somewhere between 45-60 pounds of force to rip. That way if you forget to d/c you will be reminded by a pretty good tug.
That's how the airbag systems that are available (HitAir, Impact Jackets, etc.) work.. the Dainese D-Air system does not work via the ripcord.. the Dainese system has a computer on board that senses a fall

It's cool stuff, I've been following its devleopment for a while now.. they are supposed to hit the streets sometime in 2010
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote