Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old October 29th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Oh dear

Today was just about my last ride of the season... Coming home from work, there is a fun ramp, off one highway onto another. There is an underpass, which becomes an overpass, and then a level road with a tiny patch of trees at the end. On a bike it can be taken at 75+, but given limited visibility, it's best taken at 65-ish, so that you don't rear end the traffic ahead, as it piles up at the merge. I traveled that ramp for years and could probably take it with my eyes closed... Tonight it looked especially inviting, with no traffic; I went around a lonely pokey cager, leaned in and gunned it. It was pure bliss. At the end there was traffic ahead, so I started slowing down and straighthening up... And then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a pale shape, leaping right to left: a small deer, the size of a shepherd dog or so. Instinctively I squeezed the brake, while the animal changed its mind and darted behind me. It was over before anything could be done... and in a perverted sense I was lucky for going fast; had I been going a tiny bit slower I would have likely caught a nice specimen, or possibly became one myself.

Never in my life would I imagine a deer in that location, in the middle of NYC area, with a patch of a few shrubs between two busy highways. Yet there is a "watch for deer" sign right there, seemingly placed as a joke. Tonight I was not that far from wearing it as an early holiday ornament

I took this road thousands of times, it was so familiar as to be almost boring... tonight, boring it was not.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #2
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I've been hit by a deer riding.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
.........Yet there is a "watch for deer" sign right there, seemingly placed as a joke........
They normally post such signs after several accidents have happened at that point.

Good timing this time for both of you, Toly !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #5
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Yes! Pay attention to the signs!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.4 KB, 1 views)
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #6
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
I've been hit by a deer riding.
Can you share the story?
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Copied from
http://www.soundrider.com/archive/sa...eerohdeer.aspx

"Those DEER signs are a big advantage to motorcyclists, if the situation registers between your ears. One good step is simply to slow down. Decreasing speed gives you more time to spot an animal, more time to react, and a greater ability to maneuver. OK, you may think, but how about that pickup truck on my tail? Well, if you're riding into a deer zone, why not be polite and let the pickup driver go first? By now, you should be able to figure out how to shake a tailgater, using some clever tactic other than just screwing on more throttle.
Unlike an aggressive dog, deer seem to react more to proximity than to sight or sound. A deer may not show much interest in you until you get close, whether your cafe racer has loud pipes or your GL1500 is just burbling along quietly. The deer may glance up at you, then nonchalantly go back to munching again. But when you get within 60 feet or so, the deer suddenly springs to action, jumping first straight ahead, then in a random zigzag "wolf-evasion" pattern. If it isn't obvious, the deer's first leap is in whatever direction it is facing. That's why hard braking is a smart evasive tactic.

Once the deer leaps into action, there isn't much time left for braking, so smart riders are already prepared to brake when riding into a suspicious area. Some of us brake hard when approaching any wild animal on the shoulder, as an automatic precaution. That's a primary reason for shaking tailgaters and keeping some right hand fingers curled over the brake lever in a deer zone, or anywhere there are wild animals."

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2015, 03:31 PM   #8
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Can you share the story?
this is an edit from the original post 7 years ago.

Quote:
So here is the scenario, a deer hit me tonight, not me hitting it. I was riding home from work, i was about 5 miles from a divided 4 lane highway, coming from a state park (really nice riding during the day). i am coming around a corner speed limit 50 mph, i was going 60 indicated on the speedo. I have my head lights set on high, then I see a vehicle coming towards me, I flip the high beams off as I do that I see a deer on the left side of the road. He is walking from right to left (away from the road), so i start slowing down then realize **** this going to suck if that on coming traffic hits the deer. As I get closer I notice the car is completely stopped. Me expecting the deer to continue away from the road, now thinking stupid cager needs to keep driving. Then as I approach I ease onto the throttle(traveling roughly 30-35mph) to high tail it out of there and then it happens the deer changes directions and runs into my left fairing, he spins into my front tire and i go for a fly thru the air. I land on my left shoulder the bike does a nice front flip with the tail section landing on my ass. Then as i am getting up off the ground the jerk deer comes running from the left and nocks me over again.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old November 3rd, 2015, 07:12 AM   #9
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
[hilarity]
Deer can really be jerks, can't they?

Thankfully my last deer encounter was far more pleasant. She was hanging out on the inside of a corner - in a state park - and our exchange of glances was something like:

Old November 3rd, 2015, 07:45 AM   #10
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
My last Deer encounter met the grill of my Truck.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com