ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #1
PinkNinja81
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jenna

Motorcycle(s): Soon to be a Ninja 250!

Is lowering a bike safe?

Hi everyone, so I just got my very first bike!! yay! I'm 5'1" and I can put my left foot down flat, however the bike has to lean as far over as it would if it was on the kickstand. I already dropped it yesterday after having it for only one hour! heartbreaking it was!

I've been told I can have it lowered which I know would give me more confidence, but I've also heard lowering it can cause problems, has anyone had experience with this? I'd greatly appreciate any advice!

Thanks!
PinkNinja81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18193

I was a participant in this thread a little while ago. I may have been wrong on pretty much everything I said, but I learned from it. I hope it answers your question.

Oh, by the way, welcome to the board. Make sure to head over to the new member's forum and tell us a little about yourself.

Old May 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #3
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

If you go to other forums, they make it sound like you are signing a death warrant. I lowered both the front and rear 1 inch (I'm only 5'2") and the bike doesn't feel any different handling wise. I DO feel more confident having my feet on the ground when I stop. That was my, and I'm guessing your, issue. The only thing you may have to do is adjust the preload on the rear shock if you know you will be taking big bumps. I haven't had my bike bottom out yet, so I haven't adjusted mine.

Old May 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I haven't looked into lowering a bike, since I have a 34" inseam, I normally have no issues reaching the ground.

I know you have to be careful about how you lower vehicles. In my old Mustang, I swapped to Steeda Springs all the way around. I learned real quick that I was needing to upgrade my shocks because the lowered suspension altered the shock throw. This started to cause the shock to age prematurely and occasionally bottom out before the suspension did.

I am not saying the 250 would have this issue, but it is something to be aware of. Needless to say, I do not suggest cutting a spring in order to lower it since the spring rate would not be able to handle the forces any longer. Smaller, stiffer springs would work. I suggest new springs all the way around, new rear shock and new fork oil.

I will be looking into new suspension if I decide to make this bike a track bike. I at least need to upgrade the front end to reduce the diving effect (maybe new oil would do that).

Just make sure you lower it both in the front and back. If you just do one side and not the other, you can seriously alter the handling characteristics of the bike in a very negative way.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #5
kkim

lower it an inch... you'll be fine.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #6
girlygirl69
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlene

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

im 4'10" and mine is lowered and its much better.
girlygirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #7
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I am also much more confident with mine lowered - I even did a DIY for it Just be sure that you lower the front and the rear at the same time to keep the geometry as close to the same as possible.
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #8
ManyCavies
ninjette.org sage

Name: Crissy

Motorcycle(s): . . . . . . . 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800 "Suzi", 2008 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 "Yoshi"

Welcome My bike is lowered an inch.

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Personally I believe in leaving the stock height on sport bikes due to the fact that you do effect the performance by lowering it. 1" like everyone said, is the general rule without effecting the handling too much. However keep in mind that Im 5'2" and I was riding a stock R6S without problems except for backing it up, I usually just hopped off and pushed it back. I'm surprised that you would need to do that to a 250 though as I can almost flat foot it at my height with my boots on plus its a light bike and is not that hard to keep stable with one foot. But if it makes you feel more comfortable then I agree don't go anymore than an inch.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #10
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Ya, but you dropped it at least once, Ken.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Hey, it was still rideable
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #12
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Hi there! I'm 5' and manage my ninja unlowered with the preload on lowest setting (I only ever get the ball of my foot down on one side but hey!... Other vertically challenged people I know swear by Daytona Ladystar boots which have a built up sole and may provide a good solution for you? Don't know if you can get thet model in the US but I'm sure there must be something similar? However, I would advise you to try before you buy as they tend to be expensive and although a lot of people I know like them I have never got on with them as they won't fit under the gearshift well (although I could get it altered) and they reduce the sensitivity in my feet as the soles are so thick!
zail is offline   Reply With Quote