ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #1
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2012 black Ninjette

Exclamation Come to a strange realization...

On the way home from soccer training tonight, I came to a realization... Why am I on a bike?!? It's so dangerous, and I'm only young and have a whole life ahead of me..

Has anyone else had this feeling??

I just bought my ninjette 2 weeks ago, but don't know where to go from here...!!?

Please help!!!!

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #2
ZackoFF96
ninjette.org member

Name: Zacko

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

hmm i never have that kind of feeling before

i prefer bikes because its smaller, more agile,runs faster than most cars
and i can feel the adrenaline pumpin more than when i ride cars

so if i were you i will keep riding ride safe
ZackoFF96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:59 AM   #3
Joule
ninjette.org member

Name: Tej

Motorcycle(s): Black 2011 Ninja 250R FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by newninja123 View Post
On the way home from soccer training tonight, I came to a realization... Why am I on a bike?!? It's so dangerous, and I'm only young and have a whole life ahead of me..

I just bought my ninjette 2 weeks ago, but don't know where to go from here...!!?

Please help!!!!
you don't share the same passion as we bikers do it seems.

And, you surely are not a risk taker. Don't try business. stick to a job. seriously.

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #4
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

well you do live in Sydney for a start

m7 is perfect you bypass all the **** and the worst decision that they did not connect the m7 to the f3

now im off to hide

you will be just fine

do this before you ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQe_t_z2WM
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:12 AM   #5
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
well you do live in Sydney for a start

m7 is perfect you bypass all the **** and the worst decision that they did not connect the m7 to the f3

now im off to hide

you will be just fine

do this before you ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQe_t_z2WM
Hey mate,

Where abouts are you? Maybe we can go for a ride one day?

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:20 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
It's as dangerous as you allow it to be.

Everything in life is a risk. Walking downstairs is a risk. Slipping in the shower is a risk. Crossing the street is a risk. Ticking your wife off isn't a risk… it's a death sentence.

I firmly believe that most people are not very good at understanding the nature and magnitude of risk. When they started making a big deal over second-hand smoke in NYC some years back I had to laugh… the same people who were all upset about cigarette smoke thought nothing of walking down a street breathing the exhaust of an endless stream of cars and diesel trucks, spewing smoke from just a few feet away. DUH.

The key is to assess the risk accurately and manage it. Here in the US, after 9/11 the DHS told people to go buy plastic sheets and duct tape to make a "safe" room in case of chemical attack. Some nut in Goshen, Connecticut -- hours away from any realistic terrorist target -- bought enough to wrap his whole house… and proceeded to do it, completely failing to realize that being up on the ladder placed him in much more danger than he'll ever face from terrorist attack in a thousand lifetimes.

He saw the bogieman and it freaked him out. All he could think of is the consequences of the one-in-a-hundred-million chance. You're doing the same. You're focusing on the negative instead of the positive.

Whether you're on foot, on a bicycle, in a car or on your motorcycle, you're never going to prevent the straight-up traffic accident that's the other guy's fault. But you can minimize its likelihood. When you're on a bike, it's incumbent on you to be more aware and more cautious than the other guy.

Do the obvious: Don't ride like an asshat. ATGATT, no excuses. When you ride, pay attention to riding. Leave plenty of space and time. Adopt the right mindset. If you're riding around thinking how dangerous it is, you're getting caught in the target fixation trap and IMHO you're more likely to have an accident. You're wasting attention thinking about risk instead of thinking about the task at hand.

Keith Code uses the $10 bill analogy… we all have $10 of attention to spend. So spend it wisely, on traffic awareness, reading the road, riding the bike… the things that will keep you alive.

That's just my $0.02. YMMV.

Last futzed with by adouglas; July 16th, 2012 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Realization that the OP isn't in the US
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #7
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Hey mate,

Where abouts are you? Maybe we can go for a ride one day?
I don't think anyone would want to go for a ride with a buddy whose scared of riding...not too confidence inspiring if you know what I mean...
If you're worried, sell it. Riders are dying everyday, are you willing to be one of them? Most of us try to mitigate all risks but even then we know the answer to that question in the back of our heads...

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #8
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

Everything in life is a risk. Walking downstairs is a risk. Slipping in the shower is a risk. Crossing the street is a risk. Pissing your wife off isn't a risk… it's a death sentence.

I firmly believe that most people are incapable of understanding the nature of risk. When they started making a big deal over second-hand smoke in NYC some years back I had to laugh… the same people who were all upset about cigarette smoke thought nothing of walking down a street breathing the exhaust of an endless stream cars and diesel trucks, spewing smoke from just a few feet away. DUH.

The key is to assess the risk accurately and manage it. Remember after 9/11 when the DHS told people to go buy plastic sheets and duct tape to make a "safe" room in case of chemical attack? Some nut in Goshen, CT bought enough to wrap his whole house… and proceeded to do it, completely failing to realize that being up on the ladder placed him in much more danger than he'll ever face from terrorist attack in a thousand lifetimes.

He saw the bogieman and it freaked him out. All he could think of is the consequences of the one-in-a-hundred-million chance. You're doing the same. You're focusing on the negative instead of the positive.

Whether you're on foot, on a bicycle, in a car or on your motorcycle, you're never going to prevent the straight-up traffic accident that's the other guy's fault. But you can minimize its likelihood. When you're on a bike, it's incumbent on you to be more aware and more cautious than the other guy.

Do the obvious: Don't ride like an asshat. ATGATT, no excuses. When you ride, pay attention to riding. Leave plenty of space and time. Adopt the right mindset. If you're riding around thinking how dangerous it is, you're getting caught in the target fixation trap and IMHO you're more likely to have an accident. You're wasting attention thinking about risk instead of thinking about the task at hand.

Keith Code uses the $10 bill analogy… we all have $10 of attention to spend. So spend it wisely, on traffic awareness, reading the road, riding the bike… the things that will keep you alive.

You've given me a lot to think about. My main concern is just that feeling of never being able to do things that I've always wanted to. I worry about what may happen to myself, my family, my brother (who also rides a bike).. I remember when my brother used to ride, my mum would not sleep until he got home, sometimes very early in the morning, and she had work the next day! She would just wait for him to arrive, and when he did arrive home safely, she wouldn't say a word, and just head off to bed. What I'm trying to say is, I worry about what could be, and I worry about motorbikes, as they are unpredictable, and IMHO it's not worth the risk...

But also, it may be my life, recently, I have found myself to be extremely happy. The last week of my life has been one of the happiest I've ever had... (yes it's a girl)

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #9
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
I don't think anyone would want to go for a ride with a buddy whose scared of riding...not too confidence inspiring if you know what I mean...
If you're worried, sell it. Riders are dying everyday, are you willing to be one of them? Most of us try to mitigate all risks but even then we know the answer to that question in the back of our heads...
Yeh I hear you..

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackoFF96 View Post
and i can feel the adrenaline pumpin more than when i ride cars
No offense, but that's why a lot of motorcycle accidents happen. The road is not an appropriate place to get your adrenaline fix. Take it to the track.

I've survived to age 53 without serious injury and done a lot of adrenaline-producing stuff in my life. Whitewater kayaking, skydiving, race car driving, etc. I'm still here because I'm very aware of where it is and is not appropriate to push the limits.

Does that mean always riding at the speed limit? No. Does that mean I treat those recommended cornering speed signs as realistic? No. But it does mean I'm not out there to get my heart racing.

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #11
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

If you're always worried about the "maybe" and "what could be", you'll miss a lot of experiences that would probably define your life.

Maybe motorcycling is not for you. Kinda good to realize before you get any more invested in it.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
You've given me a lot to think about. My main concern is just that feeling of never being able to do things that I've always wanted to. I worry about what may happen to myself, my family, my brother (who also rides a bike).. I remember when my brother used to ride, my mum would not sleep until he got home, sometimes very early in the morning, and she had work the next day! She would just wait for him to arrive, and when he did arrive home safely, she wouldn't say a word, and just head off to bed. What I'm trying to say is, I worry about what could be, and I worry about motorbikes, as they are unpredictable, and IMHO it's not worth the risk...

But also, it may be my life, recently, I have found myself to be extremely happy. The last week of my life has been one of the happiest I've ever had... (yes it's a girl)
Your mum was doing what mothers all over the world do. It's a parent's job to worry. It's also a parent's job to let go and learn to trust the kids when they're old enough… and the latter is a lot harder to do, as you'll discover.

I think you've answered your own question. Your priorities are exactly where they should be… and congratulations!

Sell the bike. You're not going to have time to ride it anyway.

PS: The bike is not unpredictable. It's completely predictable…it's just a machine. It's the world around you that you cannot predict.

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #13
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Your mum was doing what mothers all over the world do. It's a parent's job to worry. It's also a parent's job to let go and learn to trust the kids when they're old enough… and the latter is a lot harder to do, as you'll discover.

I think you've answered your own question. Your priorities are exactly where they should be… and congratulations!

Sell the bike. You're not going to have time to ride it anyway.

PS: The bike is not unpredictable. It's completely predictable…it's just a machine. It's the world around you that you cannot predict.
Yep, my mum is a generous woman, she was always there for me, my brother and my father, through all times thick and thin. The day my grandmother died, was the day my father turned to me and said "Son, your life is something that no-one but you can control, you don't have to impress anyone, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. It's you, it's the fresh air, it's life. Grab it and never let it go"

I remember strongly ever word of his quote for some reason.. I thought I could see a little part of my father die that day at her funeral, as he and his brother carried her coffin to the hearse.

Someone once told me, "Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

I just think it's something to consider, would it be skipping out on life if I were to not ride? Is it something that I just have to do? Or maybe I'm riding for the wrong reasons, and need to change them, in order to find a state of mind where I can ride..

I don't know......

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #14
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

Sell it, buy some beer, have a party with friends and family.
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #15
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Chronicles View Post
Sell it, buy some beer, have a party with friends and family.
Would be a big bash! I owe the world to my family and friends, they are me and my life.

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #16
R1Chronicles
Rambling Madman

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): R1 07

Wish I could be there for the party
R1Chronicles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #17
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

The way I look at it is this.
My death is inevitable. It will happen someday. Maybe on a motorcycle, or maybe in my living room...who knows.

I figure I only have about 70-90 years here.

Given those two facts....I'm gonna live every last bit of this life that I can and not worry about things I can't change or do anything about.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #18
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
The way I look at it is this.
My death is inevitable. It will happen someday. Maybe on a motorcycle, or maybe in my living room...who knows.

I figure I only have about 70-90 years here.

Given those two facts....I'm gonna live every last bit of this life that I can and not worry about things I can't change or do anything about.
I'm happy for you that you've found you're calling, I hope you live a very long life, and reach that age of 90 you speak of, in great condition, happier than ever, with the people around you who love you.

Regards

Old July 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

If you give up riding you'll be missing out on some great experiences.

But there are many great experiences in life.

In the end all we have is memories of the things we've done. Regrets are not only useless, they're destructive. How valuable is the experience of riding to you? That's a question only you can answer.

By the way... you do realize that playing football (soccer) is far more likely to get you hurt than riding your bike, right?

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
"Why am I on a Bike?"

Because I enjoy it. It brings me happiness in a world with too much ****. it sets my soul on fire lifting me to the clouds. things dont matter when i'm having fun with my motorcycle. Yes it's dangerous, but so is depression and insanity.

riding on the street with cars is dangerous. it's why so many people start riding in safer environments like on the track. you can have fun with bikes while still being safe. if you have never crashed before, its not that bad. it's actually kinda fun sometimes. like going down a nice slide. getting hit by cars is what sucks. hitting things is what sucks. if you enjoy riding motorcycles, move your hobby to the track. there are no cars, everyone goes the same direction, grouped by skill level, paramedics on-site, plenty of run off and if you go down you slide safely off into dirt. no trees or gaurd rails to hit. look i know things aren't in the right spot for you right know, trust me i know how it is, but you bought a bike for a reason. what was that reason? do you enjoy it? if you enjoy what you do, do it. and do it safely. maybe right now you don't feel like it. that's fine, come back to it later. you'll get an urge and it will be there to satisfy.

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #21
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

You've been riding for two weeks.

You haven't just barely started learning to ride. The first couple of weeks you are still focused on the mechanical operation of the bike. Once the period ends you slowely start to focus more on the road and all the hazards.

A very large portion of motorcycle accidents are one of the following:
1. Somebody acting stupid (wheelies, stopies, excessive speed, etc).
2. Alcohol related.
3. Riding over your ability.

If you wear your gear and act responsibly, you greatly reduce your risk of major injury.

And maybe motorcycling is not for you, but I'd give it a little more time.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #22
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

If you have those serious doubts I'd say it's not your thing, fair and simple. There isn't anyone forcing you to ride a motorcycle, you chose it because you probably thought it would make you happy. It's clearly not, it's adding anxiety in your life and why keep doing it if it doesn't make you happy?
There's nothing wrong, and no shame in giving it up and trying something else that you might love. Like you said, there's only so much time/life to do things, do what makes you happy. If riding is too great a risk for you, that's ok, it is for many people. Better embrace your gut now and quit while you are ahead than to regret it later on. Do what makes you happy!

edit: just read you haven't been riding long. Like others said, it also took me a while to really "get into the swing" and after that whole anxiety period I realized I LOVED this. Same with buying my first stick shift car..the first week or two I was like what did I get myself into, I hate this, I want to return it and get an automatic, but after I got used to it and better at it, I decided I'll never go back. Maybe it takes some time..you'll find out soon enough.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #23
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold." - Helen Keller.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #24
Custom Seat Creations
Sportbike Seat Covers

Name: Becky

Motorcycle(s): 10' Special Edition Tribal 250 Red/Black ; 08' Ninja 250 (RIP by a cager); 05' Honda CBR 600

Find another hobby if you truly have doubts about riding. There's many other things you can do.

Old July 16th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #25
nezumiamalek
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The small risk is worth the positive experiences I personally have had from riding. Like everyone else says ride responsibly if riding at all
nezumiamalek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #26
Ritter
ninjette.org member

Name: Clay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r BSA Lightning, Chinese something

Quote:

Please help!!!!
You can start with a track day.
Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #27
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Sell the bike and don't leave the house.

Old July 16th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #28
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Saves a crapload in Gas! That is why! plus its fun!
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Sell the bike and don't leave the house.
+1

Consider bubble technology for when leaving the house is unavoidable

Don't drive a car, you know how many people die driving those?

Avoid snack and beverage machines as well, those kill multiple people each year
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #30
jack_bm
Ex ninjette!

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSXR 600 K4, Kawasaki ninja 250r 08

Your going to die eventually, could be tomorrow could be 40 years from now. just find something you love and enjoy and do it as much as you can, i love riding my motorbike and i know if i died on my motorbike i'd be doing something i love, but say i died... crossing the road i'd be pissed! Maybe you dont have the passion to ride, like you said your young you'll find loads of new things that you'll have the 'feeling' about. i hope that makes sense im **** at writing big things, not even that big but hope it helps.

Old July 16th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #31
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

Have you rode some bike/scooter/moped/anything before ninjette?
If answer is no then you should give it more time. I personally got my 1st bike (tomos apn4) when i was 10. First year i was ridding just because my best friend was ridding too. After that i started enjoying it and could not immagine my life w/o a bike.
Wear gear and try to stick to the limits+ observe and you will be ok
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #32
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Don't sell it just yet, get another few months on the bike before deciding, you'll get more confident on it & pick up more skills, once you have a handle on that bikes are a lot less scary.

Ride within your limits & don't try any stupid sh1t, the "oh no I'm going to die" level of adrenaline should go away but being on the bike will still give you a buzz
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #33
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

Quote:

Everything in life is a risk. Walking downstairs is a risk. Slipping in the shower is a risk. Crossing the street is a risk. Ticking your wife off isn't a risk… it's a death sentence.

I firmly believe that most people are not very good at understanding the nature and magnitude of risk. When they started making a big deal over second-hand smoke in NYC some years back I had to laugh… the same people who were all upset about cigarette smoke thought nothing of walking down a street breathing the exhaust of an endless stream of cars and diesel trucks, spewing smoke from just a few feet away. DUH.

The key is to assess the risk accurately and manage it. Here in the US, after 9/11 the DHS told people to go buy plastic sheets and duct tape to make a "safe" room in case of chemical attack. Some nut in Goshen, Connecticut -- hours away from any realistic terrorist target -- bought enough to wrap his whole house… and proceeded to do it, completely failing to realize that being up on the ladder placed him in much more danger than he'll ever face from terrorist attack in a thousand lifetimes.

could not have said it better myself
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #34
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcalhoun View Post
could not have said it better myself
Me neither.

Maybe, Chuck Yeager, the first man breaking the sound barrier could:

"I was always afraid of dying. Always. It was my fear that made me learn everything I could about my airplane and my emergency equipment, and kept me flying respectful of my machine and always alert in the cockpit.
If you want to grow old as a pilot, you've got to know when to push it, and when to back off.
Never wait for trouble.
You do what you can for as long as you can, and when you finally can't, you do the next best thing. You back up but you don't give up.
You don't concentrate on risks. You concentrate on results."
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #35
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Chuck did it with a couple of broken ribs as well! Dude's a boss.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #36
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Didn't read the rest of the thread, just replying to the OP: I think you have to ask yourself if you actually have a passion for riding or if your reason for riding is something else less....grounded? I know the risks and dangers of riding but I do it anyways and plan to live my life to the fullest. For me, I'm not going to give up on something I enjoy just because it's risky. If you're willing to, then that's your choice and maybe riding isn't for you.

On a side note, I completely disagree about the streets and adrenaline fix. Maybe riding doesn't necessarily get your blood pumping but not everyone's like you. I actually ride safer than I drive and still get a huge rush from riding because it's a completely different experience. What the hell do we even preach to new riders? That the Ninja 250 allows you to have fun and still keep it within the legal limits. You don't necessarily have to ride like a hooligan to get a rush and have fun.

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #37
newninja123
ninjette.org member

Yeh I think your guys are right, I will give it a few months, and see how I feel about it then.. I got my license about 4 months ago, and having been riding street on and off... But its only recently, about 2 weeks ago that I began to ride everyday...

Cheers guys

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:03 AM   #38
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Yeh I think your guys are right, I will give it a few months, and see how I feel about it then.. I got my license about 4 months ago, and having been riding street on and off... But its only recently, about 2 weeks ago that I began to ride everyday...

Cheers guys
seems like you've got it figured out now... it does take time to be comfortable on the street, I'm gaining my comfort level now as I round out 1000 miles on the bike. I ride every day to/from work, mostly city.

The risk is always there, and it's not much more than being in a car, but the consequences are much larger. Keep your eyes on the road, your head on a swivel, and your speed in check, and you can keep yourself safe.

My biggest fear is disappointing my wife. She's very concerned every time I leave the house. That concern translates into very conservative, defensive riding on my part.

As a backcountry snowboarder, I take risks, I enjoy the benefits of taking risks, from deep and steep powder, to the freedom of being on a motorcycle. There are ways to mitigate those risks, and I take the same approach on a motorcycle as I do in the backcountry. Your own knowledge and metal awareness is number one in avoiding an accident. Number two is practicing evasive maneuvering in case you find yourself in a situation. Number three is having the right gear in case it happens.

stay safe, and enjoy the time on two wheels! as a guy who takes the forester to the track, see if you can find a motorcycle track day, that will help build your confidence quite a bit.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #39
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Apart from being fun and exciting while riding, track time makes you a better driver on the street. You will get to know your limits and your fears, and you will get to know your vehicle way better. More importantly, it flushes your mind clean of all the crazy stuff you might be tempted to do on the public road, because you already know how it is to go fast, and how difficult it can be.

Recently I started a topic to help me deal with my fear issues. That gives you a good impression into how much I have to learn. But if you never go, you will never find out, and you will never have a chance to improve.

Nowadays my road riding has turned from having fun to watching the traffic and going slowly. I figure my chances of not being hit are somewhat better that way. I know where to go when I want to have fun, and thats a really nice feeling.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote