ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 13th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Full Rebuild

Ok, so a few months ago the engine blew on my little yoshi. basically what happened was I was redlining it in 6th for 10miles straight down the highway home from work every night and it just gave in. Since then I have bought a Ninja 300 but there is just something about the 250 that is special to me and I just want to rebuild it from the ground up (I had lowsided it multiple times)

currently I have the engine outside of the frame. The only problem. I have no clue wtf I'm doing.
what I know:
-the connecting rod is broken
-one of the pistons is not firing and is cracked

what I am presuming I need to do:
-get my hands on a shop manual
-purchase a new connecting rod and piston from somewhere

worst case scenario that I want to avoid is spending $500 on a new engine, I would much rather use that money on the rest of the rebuild

any advice is very welcome
as I proceed I will post pictures of progress and ask more specific questions as necessary.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Talking

If you can source all the internals for a decent price and know some folks with a machine shop you can get it done! If you wanna complete rebuild, which in the end you will. Your engine is only as strong as its weakest link, you leave all those old parts in an throw a few new parts at it won't be long till ya have to redo the engine again. Usually the problem that crapped out the one or two parts was doing the same thing to the rest of the parts, it just stopped before it killed them all.

If I care about a vehicle I'm working on I never replace one vital part of an assembly, always do it as a whole!

If the person wants to save money, I give them that speech and either do what they said or tell them I'm not the right person for the job. I don't like folks coming back talking about my work when it's their decisions that affected the outcome.

I have been known to be meticulous rarely if ever do folks complain about my work.

Always get the manual or search a ton online before getting to deep into mechanical works... That funny lil spring you didn't see jump out an roll across the floor could be important... Ask me how I know

Old August 14th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
If you can source all the internals for a decent price and know some folks with a machine shop you can get it done! If you wanna complete rebuild, which in the end you will. Your engine is only as strong as its weakest link, you leave all those old parts in an throw a few new parts at it won't be long till ya have to redo the engine again. Usually the problem that crapped out the one or two parts was doing the same thing to the rest of the parts, it just stopped before it killed them all.

If I care about a vehicle I'm working on I never replace one vital part of an assembly, always do it as a whole!

If the person wants to save money, I give them that speech and either do what they said or tell them I'm not the right person for the job. I don't like folks coming back talking about my work when it's their decisions that affected the outcome.

I have been known to be meticulous rarely if ever do folks complain about my work.

Always get the manual or search a ton online before getting to deep into mechanical works... That funny lil spring you didn't see jump out an roll across the floor could be important... Ask me how I know
You are probably best off getting a used motor. The amount of work and money you put into a rebuild will cost more than a used motor. The only way of knowing how much is to actually fully tear down the engine and inspect for damages and build a price list of parts.

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

A used motor will likely match or be less than the costs of material involved in this rebuild. When you include labor and learning time you'll definitely be saving. It's up to you if you want to learn how to rebuild it or not and if it's worth your time and money. See my thread on rebuilding maybe that will give you an idea.

Old August 14th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #5
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

i got a used pregen motor for 300 and then sold my old one (that had shattered rocker arms) for 200. just put it on craigs list and the add said, blown ninja 250 motor for sale, has shattered rocker arms. replaced the motor with a new one selling $250 obo. had it sold in 2 weeks to a guy from kentucky that drove down.