ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 6th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #1
MisterLu
ninjette.org member

Name: Quang Lu

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Valve Adjustment Video?

Hey I looked through the DIY thread and I saw that the Valve adjustment video has been removed. I was wondering if someone can send me the file or anything like that? I'm mechanically inclined, but I do poorly with picture tutorials. I like to watch someone performing it.
MisterLu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #2
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

bump, I'd also like to see a video on it.

I searched and could only find pregens and 300's

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:05 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Casey and I made that video but he deleted it kkim-style when he got into a dispute with some of the forumers here. He did try to help restore some of kkim's DIYs and apologized for doing the same thing do us, but he couldn't restore this one.

I never had a copy to save, so I can't help there. I thought about recording it when Chris and I did his valves but we were slowly figuring out how to do it and the added effort of recording probably would have made it take three times longer! Now that I own a wearable Looxcie camera I will be recording it the next time (whenever that may be), assuming that someone else hasn't done it by then.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #4
MisterLu
ninjette.org member

Damn. That kinda sucks cause I need to do my valve adjustment ASAP. The guy before me didn't do any maintenance at all so I'm a bit nervous about running the motor without checking the clearances.

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Yeah, my bike has 9.5k and I have no knowledge of the bike having the valves checked. (may or may not)

I would get it done but it costs a lot and the shop is far away, plus I will need to pay to have the carbs resynced? Right?

I'm going to try to look up more DIY and see if I can perform the maintenance myself.

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I'd offer help but I don't have a garage, the tools, or a place to do it. If you have all that I'd be glad to spend an off day working on it with you, but I am no expert. I do have a Clymer manual but it doesn't look any better than the official service manual when it comes to the valve job instructions.

Maybe we can make another video together!

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I'd offer help but I don't have a garage, the tools, or a place to do it. If you have all that I'd be glad to spend an off day working on it with you, but I am no expert. I do have a Clymer manual but it doesn't look any better than the official service manual when it comes to the valve job instructions.

Maybe we can make another video together!
What do you suggest? A skype call?

I have a garage and most tools.

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think I could be any help at all remotely.

I should have made it clear that I was offering to help Quang Lu (@MisterLu) from the OP in-person (I'm somewhat local). Good luck though!

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #9
MisterLu
ninjette.org member

I have socket tools but I need like a bike stand, feeler gauges and some shims. I even have a digital caliper lol. I need to know where the shims are located after you pull off the cams and anything I should watch out for when I put the cams back. I don't want my valves to meet my piston when I fire it up lol.

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterLu View Post
Well, I have the stands and torque wrenches and such. These are "shim-under-bucket" type, so you may find the shim stuck inside the bottom of the "bucket" or left on top of the valve when you lift the "buckets." Unfortunately, I don't have feeler gauges or a shim kit. I loaned my digital calipers to Chris but I guess you have that covered anyway.

Old July 7th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #11
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Vex has a DIY with pictures. I could make a video...

Old July 7th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #12
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think I could be any help at all remotely.

I should have made it clear that I was offering to help Quang Lu (@MisterLu) from the OP in-person (I'm somewhat local). Good luck though!
</3

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:18 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i need to do my valves soon on the chicken bike. i'll make a video when i get around to doing them.

Old July 8th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #14
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I'm over due on my valve check, I'm sure some if not all will need adjusted. Just haven't had time to think about getting into it and it was the easiest thing out of all the work i had to do to put off lol

Now I have a little bit of time but the weather is nice and I would hate to be with out the bike for a few days if I didn't finish on a Saturday for unforeseen reasons + I really just don't feel like working on my bike.

I am " <-- this close to dropping the bike off at the shop some morning and just shelling out some cash but at $200 bucks the other part of me says "quit being a pussy and just do it yourself, you have everything you need"

hmm...

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Vex has a DIY with pictures. I could make a video...
sorry for the over due reply.

I went ahead and printed out the guides on how to check and adjust the valves and have been studying them.. also i've been watching pregen videos (I know it's not the same but it's something...)

I even went ahead and bought a service manual, I was severely dissapointed in the lack of information they provided in it.

The DIY guide with pictures was extremely vague on where the shims are and how to remove them and put in the new ones, etc. etc. It literally just glazes over the most important part and it's so annoying.

I've been rattling my brain on whether or not just have someone do it for me, I would much rather prefer I do it myself so I know they're done right... but at the same time I just feel like I can't do it. My dad would help but he feels really uncomfortable doing them as well since there are shims and he's never done shims before.

Seriously considering just having a mechanic do them, unless one of you nice people can truly convince me it's not that hard and possibly give more info/video.

Old August 18th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #16
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

It's really easy to figure out once you start removing the parts. I should have made a video with my go pro when I was putting my other motor together. I can do a quick snazzy photo how-to.... give me some time...

Old August 18th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #17
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
It's really easy to figure out once you start removing the parts. I should have made a video with my go pro when I was putting my other motor together. I can do a quick snazzy photo how-to.... give me some time...
be sure to post it up whenever you do it, it may help some other people as well.

Old August 19th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, guys, I have a new parts bike with 12,000 mile motor that should get a valve job before I install it (no idea if the 1st valve service was done and almost time for the 2nd anyway). I'll be sure to wear my Looxcie camera when I do it and I'll post both edited and raw videos so that there won't be any way for me to gloss over anything.

I'd call it EX250 number FIVE, but this is the first one without a title and the seller cut the frame to fit it in my car (probably didnt have to do that if he removed the swingarm ).