ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Higher mileage 08-09's

Just curious how many of you have over 10k+ miles on your bikes. Any mechanical issues? What type of maintenance besides fluid changes have you done? I have 14,921 miles with zero problems (bought brand new with 1 mile). I've replaced 2 rear tires and 1 front(not needed), changed front brakepads twice and rear once(not needed). I also just replaced the chain and sprockets and rear taillight bulb. I have a fork seal that needs to be replaced as well as the shifter linkage boot. I will be checking everything else when I do my own 15k mile service.
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat
DirtyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

Dirty boy,
Did you have valves checked/adjusted?? If so how much were they out of tollerance.
Thanks, Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #3
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill N View Post
Dirty boy,
Did you have valves checked/adjusted?? If so how much were they out of tollerance.
Thanks, Bill
I am very ashamed to say that I never checked or adjusted them Hopefully no damage has been caused but I will soon find out. I was going to to it myself but I found a shop that will do it for $150 so im going to go with that since just the shim kit is $90. saving $60 is not worth my time.
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat

Old May 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #4
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

I aslo just realized that I have had 1 issue with the gas gauge but that mysteriously fixed itself after about a week. The gremlin that caused it must have fell off the bike.

Old May 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #5
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

I have 14.3k on my 09. No issues except for the gas gauge but that was within the first 200 miles. All I've had to change was both tires. Brake pads are next but I was told to wait until 15k. Had them checked out at 11.3k and they said they were fine.

DB, what's the deal with replacing "I also just replaced the chain and sprockets and rear taillight bulb. I have a fork seal that needs to be replaced as well as the shifter linkage boot." I've never had any issues whatsoever with mine.. You're making me nervous here, lol.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #6
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreezMunky View Post
I have 14.3k on my 09. No issues except for the gas gauge but that was within the first 200 miles. All I've had to change was both tires. Brake pads are next but I was told to wait until 15k. Had them checked out at 11.3k and they said they were fine.

DB, what's the deal with replacing "I also just replaced the chain and sprockets and rear taillight bulb. I have a fork seal that needs to be replaced as well as the shifter linkage boot." I've never had any issues whatsoever with mine.. You're making me nervous here, lol.
All that stuff is pretty routine maintenance stuff. My old chain needed to be adjusted at least once a week when I hit about 13k so I decided to replace it. Sprockets looked ok but I wanted to go up a few teeth in the back. The front sprocket was only $11, so I figured I might as well get a new one since everything was being replaced. I didn't notice the fork seal leaking until after the new sprocket went on, so i'm assuming I blew it doing a wheelie. The rubber boot is from my shoe rubbing on it, so depending on where your foot rubs that may not be an issue for you. 14k+ miles on an 09 is pretty impressive.

Old May 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #7
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

One thing: over on http://forums.ninja250.org/ someone posted a step-by-step log of the process involved with adjusting the newer Ninja's shim & bucket valves. Wow. It is a LOT more complex than the old Ninja. Now, mind you it doesn't need to be done nearly as often, but it's a job that is way beyond most do-it-yourselfers.

Old May 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #8
kkim

similar to this???

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9787

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9924
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote