ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 1st, 2015, 05:49 PM   #1
benferry
ninjette.org newbie

Name: ben

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki ninja 250r

something is leaking... help

Hello,

so im new to ninjette... But I have an odd problem I think. MY ninja 250 2007 is leakin something dark black out the left exhaust near kickstand and gear shifter. Nothing is dripping on it that I can tell. I just changed the oil a week or so ago. (Havent riden it since the oil change either). White smoke is coming out the exhaust.

Please Help.
benferry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 06:12 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to pre-gen tech

(General is only for threads that really don't have a home anywhere else)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 06:27 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Is it a full-on leak? Or just oozing a tiny bit?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 06:28 PM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I very well may just be water (condensation) and carbon from the pipe dripping out - which is normal. The white smoke is most likely condensation as well. Water is a byproduct of combustion.

Take a close look at what it is. Does it dry if you let it sit? Is it slippery? Did it show up after a short trip? Do the engine fluids (coolant, oil) stay at the proper levels?

Go for a long ride (after checking your fluid levels) and see if it comes back when you park it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 07:43 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
May it be too much lube on the chain that has accumulated under the cover due to the centrifugal effect of the front sprocket?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 1st, 2015, 08:03 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
May it be too much lube on the chain that has accumulated under the cover due to the centrifugal effect of the front sprocket?

YES!!!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2015, 08:48 PM   #7
benferry
ninjette.org newbie

wow thanks for the quick responses...

It is a slow leak/drip... the drip is increased when the throttle is applied. Iv'e been doing some work on it this summer with the gauge cluster, so haven't rode it yet. This leak just started yesterday out of random... It hasn't done this at all out of the several times I've started it... I've cleaned the carbs several times over this summer too. Here is some pics... the oil level seems to be ok, its hovering around the 1/2 to 3/4 mark. Whatever is leaking doesn't seem to have a smell to it, at least to me.

here is a link to the images.
Let me know if these help, The two images that I drew on seems to be the spots where it is dripping the most.

Thanks

Old September 2nd, 2015, 03:20 PM   #8
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

No smell? Usually water, condensate inside the exhaust. Black would be from the soot being washed out with it. Does it feel greasy? Smear it on a white paper towel to confirm the color and to look for particles.

One of the primary results of combustion is H2O, along with CO2. When the exhaust is cold that H2O condenses inside the exhaust. Later it gets hot enough to blow it out as first steam, then vapor. If your exhaust is leaking then that water will drip out.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:37 PM   #9
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Smell (and taste) are useful in determining the origin of fluids found under vehicles: motor oil; coolant (sweet but poisonous); gasoline; hypoid oil (cars, shaft drive bikes); ATF (chesnutty odor); water (car a/c condensation); or cat urine.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #10
benferry
ninjette.org newbie

Smile

Hey Guys,

So great responses... I havent tasted it yet, sort of freaks me out. Let me give you some more background on this bike. It has been sitting for two years (shame on me) Some of the front end cluster gauge was broken, and I had no drive to fix it). Now that I am fixing it and fixed it I am having this leak problem. Now if this sparks any new ideas what might be issues with this leak, Please let me know.

Now an update on the bike. It seems to be having a hard time starting now and keeping running when it does. I took out the spark plugs yesterday and BOTH of them had some residue of oil on them! It was not a whole lot of amount, the bottom two threads and the bottom of the plug itself. Not sure if this is a possible issue with the stem valves or piston rings??

As soon as i figure out how to post pics in a efficient way I will. (any help on the pics situation would also be greatly appreciated)

Old September 4th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #11
benferry
ninjette.org newbie

Hey Guys,

So here are some pics. Hope you can view them

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150901_214125.jpg (80.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150901_214215.jpg (85.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150901_180301321.jpg (119.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150901_180303072.jpg (103.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150901_180313383.jpg (122.4 KB, 5 views)

Old September 4th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by benferry View Post
As soon as i figure out how to post pics in a efficient way I will. (any help on the pics situation would also be greatly appreciated)
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5611

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #13
benferry
ninjette.org newbie

hey Guys,

So a quick update/question

I went in an talked to a motorcycle store and talked to the service people. His first thought with the leak and being black is that my mixture is to rich and I possibly need to re-jet my my carburetor. The end of the spark plugs are fairly black too. So he basically said that my bike can't burn up the oil due to being to rich so it just spits it out the exhaust.

Which this all makes sense to me. What he was saying is just a possibility too. Any opinions on this would be great. My bike now is having a hard time starting and running - and maybe that could be to the rich mixture and loosing combustion.

Old September 5th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes, faulty tuning of the carbs can cause hard starts and a rich air to fuel mix, resulting in a drip, drip out of the exhaust in the joint areas. This type of leak normally has a distinct smell of gas though... Stuck floats in the carb bowls can also cause this issue but again, the smell of gas should be easily detectable.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #15
benferry
ninjette.org newbie

oh ok. perfect thanks for the response. Ill see if I can attempt a taste test... since I cant detect the smell of it very well.

Old September 5th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #16
RickM
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250

You said you did a recent oil change.

How much oil did you put in? Any chance you overfilled the oil. The Vapor hose from the carb canister goes into the airbox on the left side right about above the muffler joint. So if you over filled the oil it will get into the airbox via the crank breather and can leak out the left side of the airbox. Just one more thing to check.

If it was gas it'd be easy to tell by smell. it's more likely oil and condensation in airbox
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #17
benferry
ninjette.org newbie

Well guys,

I appreciate all the help and advice you guys gave me. I learned a lot about the extents of motorcycle engines.

But I think I found the culprit today. I decided to take off the carburetor just to check it out, and i found that on the left side the main fuel jet was unscrewed completely! So I put it back and my ninja eventually started up... and no leak!!

So I guess it was getting a rich mixture and having to blow out some of that excess it couldn't burn through combustion.

So I took it for a spin... and i did notice (looked like blue smoke) out of the exhaust when riding for a short short time. So will need to look into that now... cant remember if blue smoke is related to coolant or oil... but time for research.

AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE.
I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

Old September 5th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #18
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Blue smoke means your burning oil, i'd suggest draining the oil in the airbox thru the drain hose. Look at the oil fill hole, then look left towards the back of the bike, around 7 inches back you'll see an assortment of rubber hoses, one has a clamp and a plug take those off and drain whats in there. btw white smoke means you're burning water, blue means oil.
xXecuterXx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by benferry View Post
But I think I found the culprit today. I decided to take off the carburetor just to check it out, and i found that on the left side the main fuel jet was unscrewed completely! So I put it back and my ninja eventually started up... and no leak!!
Glad you found the problem.

It all makes sense. Extra fuel being dumped in the engine and being pumped out the exhaust. It mixes with the condensation in the pipes/muffler and dissolves some of the carbon - creating a black watery/oily fluid.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote