ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:20 PM   #1
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 04 EX250

Just took my first motorcycle ride.

So I've been driving 50cc scooters for a little bit, but just recently I decided it was time for a real bike (all of my friends have them!) which ended up with me buying Shinobu, a blue 2004 Ninja.

I'm still only on my learner's permit, and my MSF class isn't until next month. I couldn't very well just sit there and stare at the thing so I went to the DMV and registered it, and decided to take it around the block a couple of times.

A couple of times ended turning into a 16 mile adventure. I was clumsy as hell in the beginning as I'm not used to operating a clutch with my hand, and I have to lean more with this bike than I do with a scooter, but eventually I was getting the hang of it. I always ride super defensive and this was no exception. I drove within the letter of the law with the exception of one time that I went to spot where I could open it up a little bit.

I ran it to 8k rpms in 3rd gear and nearly **** myself. I don't understand how anyone can think this bike is slow. I can't even imagine a 600cc bike. I've owned and driven many fast cars, but this was awesome. And my god that SOUND! To think I still had 5k rpms left to go!

I'm really loving this so far. And yes I was properly geared up head to toe, something I never really did, but should have when riding the scooter.

Just thought I'd share.
anarchyx34 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Way to go, Joe !!!

Don't move too fast before you learn how to stop really fast and swerve.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:42 PM   #3
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Congrats, Joe! Your post made me smile.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 05:49 PM   #4
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Yes I'm still not terribly confident yet which is why I won't be doing too many rides until my MSF class. I still ride the scooter every day (Kymco Super 8 for those who are wondering) and have been using it to practice nearly everything that I learn in terms of riding technique. I've been doing this for a few weeks and I've noticed a marked improvement in my ability to take corners and even do tight figure 8's without having to put my feet down. I know how to threshold brake on that bike, which actually has quite strong brakes for what it is, but the Ninja is a whole different ballgame.

I did one time about a month ago while riding the scooter 2up in a panic grab a handful of brake when I thought someone was going to pull out in front of me, which turned out that I was just overreacting as it was a car-wash attendant who had absolutely no intention of pulling out into traffic, but I reacted and locked up the front wheel, and was panicking wondering why I wasn't slowing down, and it was because I never released the throttle! Fortunately I kept it upright and released quick enough once my wits caught up with me but it was an eye opening experience.

Riding in NYC traffic didn't particularly bother me so much because I'm used to it. It's the unfamiliarity of this new faster, heavier machine that intimidates me a bit. I plan on absolutely taking my time and building a solid foundation of ability. At 38 years old I'm fully cognizant of the fact that this isn't a toy.

I also used to autocross quite a bit and made enough of a fool out of myself in the beginning to know that natural ability is few and far between, and that proper learning technique is what creates ability.

Oh and I also have this stupid picture that my friend took of me:

Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:25 PM   #5
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Sweet!!! hey, a lot of us will recommend you change out those tires, they are dangerous and not worth having. Look into some Kenda K671's, a pair'll run you less than 175 is you find em in the right place
xXecuterXx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:36 PM   #6
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXecuterXx2 View Post
Sweet!!! hey, a lot of us will recommend you change out those tires, they are dangerous and not worth having. Look into some Kenda K671's, a pair'll run you less than 175 is you find em in the right place
What's wrong with them? Like dangerous in what way?

Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:41 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchyx34 View Post
What's wrong with them? Like dangerous in what way?
Old, hard, slippery.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:41 PM   #8
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Congrats man. Welcome to the forum
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 06:51 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:04 PM   #10
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Old, hard, slippery.

Oh I understand. The rear one is dated '08. The front one is dated '11 so not too old. I'll be replacing them in pairs anyway. How much does it usually cost to get them mounted?

Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:26 PM   #11
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Oh I understand. The rear one is dated '08. The front one is dated '11 so not too old. I'll be replacing them in pairs anyway. How much does it usually cost to get them mounted?
welcome to the 2 wheel life.

yes, if those are the original rubber ( and the smaller CC bikes don't eat tires so they could be) they are not to be trusted. the new rubber tech is so much better and will feel much more stable.

stay with the idea that you aren't Rossi or Stoner... the longer you pay attention and drive at your skill level, the better things will be... when you think you know what you are doing... think more... I"ve been on 2 wheels for 25 years and 200,ooo miles... and I still need to pay attention and ride with in my limits.

second, you are going to need to learn how to work on your bike, it will need maint. from time to time and unless you are rich, doing it yourself is the way to go.

this place has the info, use our knowledge.

and have fun, 4 wheels gets you where you got to go, 2 wheels liberates the soul.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 07:33 PM   #12
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Congratulations
The first step is a big one.

But the next step is a memory I will never forget. Wait till you turn on to an entrance ramp to the highway.
Haha you will be thinking about me. Good luck. Be careful. You will be fine.

Old September 3rd, 2015, 08:09 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Sorry, i did downvote your good post by mistake.
I meant to vote it as helpful.

@anarchyx34
Here you can find all the current options about tires:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Tires
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 09:44 PM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
you will get used to it. i get that feeling coming out of a corner at the track on the BMW, 3rd gear WOT and the front wheel skipping the pavement as TC kicks in.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 10:59 PM   #15
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
you will get used to it. i get that feeling coming out of a corner at the track on the BMW, 3rd gear WOT and the front wheel skipping the pavement as TC kicks in.
Wow! That's really cool. I wish I could feel that way when I accidentally downvote something.

My BMW can't do that.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 11:01 PM   #16
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
i was talking to the OP. down vote for you.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old September 4th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #17
zhuuka
Turtle Dancer

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 SE

Quote:
Oh and I also have this stupid picture that my friend took of me:
I love the navy blue color of the 250 ninjettes <3 Congratulations man.

Quote:
Kendas were great. I slapped them onto my 250; I didn't have her long enough to really break them in. I think I only put 3k miles on them.

Videos!
Twitterthingermajigger
zhuuka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 08:31 AM   #18
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Sorry, i did downvote your good post by mistake.
I meant to vote it as helpful.
Lol no worries bro

Call me a hypocrite, but I'm still riding the K630's. Only cuz I'm 16 without a permit and mostly do neighborhood riding, so I'm to going any speeds past 30. i plan to get a job and get her some new sneakers, like i said those Kenda K671's look and sound promising.
xXecuterXx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #19
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Welcome to the fold, as a fellow Brooklynight, hollar out if you even see a Yellow pre-gen Ninja w/yellow seat, chrome exhausts and tall windshield on Ocean Ave or Flatbush. That's my daily commute between Hoboken, NJ and Sheephead Bay.

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #20
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuuka View Post
I love the navy blue color of the 250 ninjettes <3 Congratulations
the blue is the coolest color

Old September 4th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #21
cadymae
Cadymae

Name: Caryn

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Congrats congrats and welcome to the Ninjette world. You got a GREAT bike to learn on and ride on. I've gone as high as 1100cc and came right back down again to this wonderful 250.

Ride safe and enjoy!
cadymae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 11:06 AM   #22
cadymae
Cadymae

Name: Caryn

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Welcome to the fold, as a fellow Brooklynight, hollar out if you even see a Yellow pre-gen Ninja w/yellow seat, chrome exhausts and tall windshield on Ocean Ave or Flatbush. That's my daily commute between Hoboken, NJ and Sheephead Bay.

Don't tell mine I said this but
"That yellow looks good!"
cadymae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #23
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I ran it to 8k rpms in 3rd gear and nearly **** myself. I don't understand how anyone can think this bike is slow. I can't even imagine a 600cc bike.
Lol, quoted for posterity. Come back to this in a year or two or three and see how funny you sound. After a while, you'll get used to wringing it out to 8,000 rpm every time just to get up to speed.

But for now, just take it easy and enjoy the novelty of your 250 feeling fast. It won't feel fast forever, trust me.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #24
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@anarchyx34 - You sound like you have a really good attitude for a new motorcycle rider! ATGATT, MSF on the way, taking it easy, respecting the machine etc etc. Have you been influenced by someone or do you just have your head screwed on more straight than most?!

Also: just curious: are you an actual anarchist? If so, do you come at it from the voluntarism/libertarian angle?

Quote:
I ran it to 8k rpms in 3rd gear and nearly **** myself. I don't understand how anyone can think this bike is slow. I can't even imagine a 600cc bike. I've owned and driven many fast cars, but this was awesome. And my god that SOUND! To think I still had 5k rpms left to go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Lol, quoted for posterity. Come back to this in a year or two or three and see how funny you sound. After a while, you'll get used to wringing it out to 8,000 rpm every time just to get up to speed.

But for now, just take it easy and enjoy the novelty of your 250 feeling fast. It won't feel fast forever, trust me.
^ What he said.

I still remember that feeling of being new to my ninja 250 (wasn't that long ago) and for me I thought it was powerful spinning up to only 5k! Now I'm pining the throttle on every ride and ringing it to 12k and still want more power! I've had mine tuned now too and I get this lovely surge of power between ~10 and 12k.

I miss my early days of riding, when I was brand new and I got goosebumps before every ride. It's a different kind of fun now though.

Old September 4th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Old, hard, slippery.
I resemble that remark.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 01:12 PM   #26
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
8000 is just where the fun starts!

You will definitely get accustomed to the power you have - and want more - eventually. But as Chris suggested - just take it easy for now.

Good to hear that you are planning to take a MSF course, and good to see all the gear. Put a lot of emphisis on learning good emergency stopping technique (don't call it a "panic" stop - you never want to panic), you'll probably need it in your situation.

I agree with xXecuterXx2 - if those are original tires (looks like they are) they need to go ASAP - or sooner. Up to date (less than 4 or 5 yrs old) tires are very important when you are on 2 wheels.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #27
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@anarchyx34 - You sound like you have a really good attitude for a new motorcycle rider! ATGATT, MSF on the way, taking it easy, respecting the machine etc etc. Have you been influenced by someone or do you just have your head screwed on more straight than most?!

Also: just curious: are you an actual anarchist? If so, do you come at it from the voluntarism/libertarian angle?
Well most of my friends had moved on to motorcycles years ago back from when we were all car guys. I guess you can say I'm the last holdout. They're all AGATT, all did their MSF courses, and go to the track regularly. They're about as serious as you can get. All of them have a pretty good head on their shoulders, and knock on wood, not a single one of them has gone down yet.

Aside from that I do think I have my head screwed on pretty straight, and a lot of that I think comes from maturity. I'm 38 years old as of right now, and I'm probably better off getting into this now then when I was in my early 20's, which I was basically a maniac.

Oh and no I'm not anarchist. Basically the story behind my screenname is that many moons ago I was a huge Queensryche fan and one of their songs is titled AnarchyX. It's something I've used as my handle on the internet since I was a teenager and somehow it stuck, at least for automotive related forums. It's pretty meaningless though.

Old September 4th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #28
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post

I agree with xXecuterXx2 - if those are original tires (looks like they are) they need to go ASAP - or sooner. Up to date (less than 4 or 5 yrs old) tires are very important when you are on 2 wheels.
They're not the originals. The front one was replaced in 2011 (and has the DOT stamp to prove it) and the rear was from 2008. I know the rear one at the very least is past it's prime but at least they're not the original tires.

Old September 4th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #29
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
They're not the originals. The front one was replaced in 2011 (and has the DOT stamp to prove it) and the rear was from 2008. I know the rear one at the very least is past it's prime but at least they're not the original tires.
If you can afford it, you'll never regret putting on a new set.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2015, 05:46 AM   #30
iliveforcurves
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Honda Valkyrie, 2003 Yamaha FJR1300, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 1978 Yamaha SR500 (not running)

Hey Joe, you made an excellent choice for a first motorcycle. I'm glad to hear you are into safety with the gear. I would like to recommend a few upgrades for your bike. First is to replace those awful tires. I have Pirelli MT75s on my '07 and they really make a difference. The stock forks have too much compression damping with too soft springs which give a harsh ride over bumps and cause too much dive when braking. I installed Gold Valve cartridge emulators and Sonic springs which completely fixed that. I replaced the rear spring/shock with one from an EX500. I have headlight modulators on my bikes and a brighter LED taillight bulb. These items are relatively cheap and could possibly make the difference between a crash and an uneventful ride.
iliveforcurves is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #31
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

So I finally got the bike to idle properly and I spent the entire morning practicing in parking lot. I practiced playing with the friction zone and making tight circles while counterbalancing. I practiced swerves at low speed (swerving around "objects" like a discarded paper cup, and then swerving back in the other direction before running over a manhole cover), and then I practiced hard braking. I know what it feels like to lock a wheel now. You can barely notice when the rear one is locked. Now of course that's all well and good for planned stops but I don't have the muscle memory yet to do the same during unplanned ones.

Very excited to take the MSF course in a couple of weeks!

Oh and as far as new tires I'm going to be working on that ASAP. I can get a set of Kenda's shipped to my door on Amazon for less than $100 after I apply some saved up rewards points. Just a matter of finding a good local shop that won't have a problem with installing them for me.

Old September 7th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #32
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
^ If you want to learn and practise something safe and easy before your MSF I have little braking routine you could try:

This is something you can use every time you are gently coming to a stop. For the last few metres (when you've completely disengaged the clutch) use just the rear brake to slow yourself down. While you're applying the rear brake, keep your eyes up ahead of you (helps with balance). Take just your left foot off the peg and then straighten your leg and stretch it out in front of you.

When the bike is almost completely stopped, bring your [still straight] leg down. The first part of your foot to touch the ground should be just your heal. As the bike roles forward those last inches, you can role the front of your foot down to the ground and allow your knee to bend. Once you're stopped you can let your left leg take the weight of the bike.

If you do this simple technique it looks and feels very smooth! Nice thing is, you can learn this at very slow speed.

Once you've mastered it, take note of how many riders you see that can't gracefully come to a stop and then come back and thank me

Old September 8th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #33
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): 2004 250

I just recently put some Sport Demons on mine. Motorcycle shops quoted me everything from $24 to $32 per tire to mount. ****ing obscene. Got them done at a mom and pop shop for $7 a tire. Done deal.
maverick31210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #34
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

That's assuming you removed the wheels and brought it to them though right? I was figuring on bringing them the whole bike. Not that I couldn't remove the wheels and bring them but I don't have a proper stand and also probably wouldn't be a good idea considering I park on the street.

Old September 8th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #35
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): 2004 250

Yeah that was just me bringing the wheels off the bike. Those prices they quoted me were wheels off the bike as well. I didn't bother to ask what they wanted for wheels on bike.

If you can manage to keep it inside somewhere, all you need is a simple car jack. Use the center stand and put a jack under the oil filter bolt to support it.
maverick31210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #36
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
that is a pretty reasonable price to Mount, Balance and dispose of tires. @maverick31210

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old September 8th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #37
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
that is a pretty reasonable price to Mount, Balance and dispose of tires. @maverick31210
Seven bucks a tire? Holy crap, that is a great deal!

If I found someplace that would do it for that price, I'd get out of changing bike tires entirely! (No pun intended.)

Old September 9th, 2015, 05:55 AM   #38
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Hell yeah!!! The local place in Lima quoted me $37 a tire or something when I was stripping down my wheels for powder coating. HIGHWAY ROBBERY!! And then they had the nerve (stupidity) to ask me, "Did you want those balanced too?" Dumb dumb dumb. Noooooo, I'm gonna ride this thing up to 100 mph, I don't need that **** balanced. Balancing is for babies. YES I WANT THEM BALANCED!! Jokes

Even the private shop at home who's typically expensive only charges $20 per tire with disposal of the old tire and a new valve stem. I thought that was expensive at the time, then I met these yahoos in the middle of no where charging $37 per tire...
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #39
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Seven bucks a tire? Holy crap, that is a great deal!

If I found someplace that would do it for that price, I'd get out of changing bike tires entirely! (No pun intended.)
the higher prices he listed is what I was referring.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old September 9th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #40
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
@anarchyx34

Step 1: Order tires and have them shipped to me in Trumbull, CT.
Step 2: Ride up here one nice weekend day before it gets too nasty out.
Step 3: Have me put the tires on for you. I have a tire changer. No charge.
Step 4: Go for a ride and a burger or some wings.
Step 5: Go home having had a nice outing and made a new friend.

There aren't that many more weeks of good weather. Let me know if you'd like to do this.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.