ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 13th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Wind Sucks!

So today it was about 75 degrees but winds were 18mph from the south with gusts up to 30+ mph. I went for a ride this evening and the wind took some of the fun out of riding. I don't like being pushed around in my lane by wind.

So do yall ride when it is this windy? You probably do but what are some tips to not getting blown around so much. I was light on the handle bars and even tried tucking but it didn't really help with these crazy winds. And I think it is going to be windy again tomorrow but with wonderful temps around 75 again.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I had the same problem this weekend. It was fine if there were trees along the side of the highway, but in the open it was really unnerving to be pushed in my lane. After the ride I looked at the weather and found the wind had been gusting to 45+ mph.

Old November 13th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

it's been extra windy in Chicago too.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #4
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Generally I dont realize its windy until a gust hits me and moves me around my lane. Luckily, I havent gotten pushed to another lane yet.

I dont mind it that much. Riding is riding. I accept all conditions and try to deal with it as best as I can. I wouldnt ride near a tornado or hurricane though. Those winds have more than lane switching power.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I usually cruise along with a loose grip and sort of leaned over, lol, you can gear down, slow down, and use RPM to help keep you tracking as well. I have also tried to use other vehicles to block for me an usually get best results just off the rear corner opposite the direction the wind is coming. If it's really bad (as it gets out here) I may take side roads depending on how much time I have to get where I'm going. I've ridden in 65mph gusts 35+ sustained and it's no joke...I lasted just long enough on the highway to get to a spot where I could take protected side roads home.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
I usually cruise along with a loose grip and sort of leaned over, lol, you can gear down, slow down, and use RPM to help keep you tracking as well. I have also tried to use other vehicles to block for me an usually get best results just off the rear corner opposite the direction the wind is coming. If it's really bad (as it gets out here) I may take side roads depending on how much time I have to get where I'm going. I've ridden in 65mph gusts 35+ sustained and it's no joke...I lasted just long enough on the highway to get to a spot where I could take protected side roads home.
I was thinking about riding beside other vehicles to minimize the cross winds but I figured that wasn't the safest idea. Haha. I will try out taking side-roads tomorrow to avoid some of the wind. And see how keeping it at higher RPM's helps any.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Riding in the wind

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #8
ironglory
ninjette.org member

Name: Mhilz

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZZR600 Midnight Blue

I guess just slowing down for me helps. Even on a bigger bike I still feel it. I try listening to small craft warnings and that 's how I base my routes and my time of travel if possible.

Old November 13th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #9
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

Maybe its because I'm still new to motorcycling, but I rather enjoy riding with winds pushing me around my lane. Adds another element to the ride. A new challenge, so to speak.
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #10
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Wind speeds of 20mph pretty common here, and 40mph gusts happen more than I'd like. I stay in if gusts are stronger than that. Here's how I cope:

*keep your shoulders/arms relaxed so you getting blown doesn't jerk the handlebars and make you feel like you've got the wobbles;
*minimize the "sail" area on the bike, so go into tuck, don't have tailbags/backpack/etc.;
*countersteer into the wind - countersteering forces are stronger than the strongest gusts. Lean into it like a corner if you have to;
*going slower doesn't help. The bike is more stable at speed, taking advantage of gyroscopic effect and inertia;
*move to the upwind side of the lane to give you more leeway if you get blown a bit;
*watch the trees/plants in your peripheral vision and you can get a few seconds warning of a big gust coming your way. When you see it coming, get upwind in the lane, be ready to countersteer and make sure your arms are relaxed;
*be careful of effect of wind around big trucks/buildings - it can intensify the gusts.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #11
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I haven't read of any Ninjette members being blown off their bike or into danger, so my advice is try putting on a smile behind your helmet and enjoy the art of windy, bike riding!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote