ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 27th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #1
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Biggest Weaknesses?

Who looked at this section of the forum to go slower today?

I am interested today in is... What is your biggest weakness?

We all need to be honest with ourselves while riding. So I will go first....

I suck at the hip flick.

For example; in a chicane or connected corners, I am late getting my bum over ahead of the bike but... a "true" hip flick is a VERY advanced and hard technique. I find myself moving to the middle (directly on the seat) instead of sliding to the other side as one solid movement. I know what I need to do, but I just can't make my body do it at that moment in time.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Mentality

It's easy to get caught up in the physical mistakes, which for me would be corner entry. I suck at reading corners and reading the speed at which I can enter them. I also suck at side to side transitions which is more or less an extension of the initial vision/steering issue that I have. Back on topic mentality wise I am a very aggressive and confident rider, almost to the point of overconfidence. This isn't an issue, as I do know my limits and can feel for what the bike is doing next to me, until you factor in other people. I am easily annoyed when stuck behind someone who is flying in the straights and parking it in the corners and I try to find any way through that I can, which naturally invites others to do the same to me. Basically I suffer from racing mentality at times as opposed to a learning mentality that I should

Old April 27th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #3
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Flexibility/mobility.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Low-speed maneuvering. Much harder on a supersport than on the Ninjette.

But then I'm not going at low speeds all that often....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #5
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Many...
Let's go with mental - my bike has not been set up the same way for 2 seasons. So, I always feel like I am getting use to the bike. Next, I hate dirty roads and they freak me out a little when one a spirited ride.

Old April 27th, 2015, 06:52 PM   #6
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

Confidence to push harder and enter turns faster!
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Thanks everyone so far! Keep em coming please.

Old April 27th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #8
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

braking hard and late. I normally brake hard earlier than necessary and find myself getting back on the throttle before I turn in. I'm extremely confident in my ability to brake in emergency straight line stops because I practice emergency stops from speeds ranging from 20-100mph on a closed road but I just do not feel comfortable braking into a turn. I need more track days to learn braking.
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
braking hard and late. I normally brake hard earlier than necessary and find myself getting back on the throttle before I turn in
Oh snap Floki! Get a hold on of that stat!!!!

I know how much you have progressed in a short time on track.

Old April 27th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
braking hard and late. I normally brake hard earlier than necessary and find myself getting back on the throttle before I turn in.
I just do not feel comfortable braking into a turn.
Where are you looking while braking, and where are you looking as you decide to brake?

Old April 27th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #11
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Most of the time as far into the turn as I can see. I just have a mental block keeping me from progressing. I don't feel comfortable pushing my comfort zone on the backroads.

Old April 27th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Most of the time as far into the turn as I can see. I just have a mental block keeping me from progressing. I don't feel comfortable pushing my comfort zone on the backroads.
I know the feeling, I'm not even comfortable riding at a good pace on back roads anymore since I can ride at entirely unreasonable speeds for public roads, and you can too.

What I've been doing to work on entry speed at the track is to focus on the apex (or another reference point, so long as it stays the same lap to lap) once I start my braking and use it as reference for my speed and turn in point. I'm still seeing the exit with peripheral vision but my focus isn't on it until I turn in.

Old April 27th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #13
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
On unfamiliar roads, very rarely do I go in too hot for a corner. For those rare occasions where there is a decreasing radius turn that caught me off guard, I know exactly what I need to do....I need to relax, get my chest lowered, move my torso off the bike some more, maintain throttle position and push forward the handlebar more to lean more.

But mentally, I'm scared. I'm afraid I'll crash. I tense up and think "oh sheet". My inside elbow isn't as bent as I like it to be (especially on right turns). And sometimes, during the "oh sheet" moment, I instinctively ease off the throttle trying to slow things down so I have more time to think and react....that usually makes me go wider.....which puts me in a more panic state.

I know, I have A LOT A LOT A LOT more lean angle since my chicken strips are around 3/4" thick. But I'm just afraid to lean it more. And to make matters worse, on right corners, there's usually a guard rail on my right....and if I lean my head over too much, I'm afraid my head will hit the guardrail and I get decapitated. But in reality, I'm probably 5ft away from the guardrail.

Right corners are also an issue because when I try to look through the turn....look where you want to go....I can't see the exit point of the road because the guardrail is in the way of my line of sight.

I really really really need to do a track day. I found a track day program for first timers for $100 (either NJMP or Poconos). I just need a trailer (and install a hitch on my car) as I don't feel comfortable riding back from the track being completely exhausted.

It's extremely frustrating for me because I know (or think I know) what I need to do (lean more while holding throttle or roll on more throttle gently)....yet, my head isn't allowing me to do it.

Old April 27th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the red mist

something happens, i get mad. instead of saying "oh well", i need to give em what for. bad idea. very bad idea. except for getting hit by a car, every single one of my accidents has had this as a contributing factor. i crash when i'm angry.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 27th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the red mist

something happens, i get mad. instead of saying "oh well", i need to give em what for. bad idea. very bad idea. except for getting hit by a car, every single one of my accidents has had this as a contributing factor. i crash when i'm angry.
^^^ was the main reason for my crashes, all brawn... no brains.

Old April 27th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #16
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
My biggest weakness is my lack of ability to say "Okay, physics. Don't **** me on this." and ride out entering a turn too fast. I've never crashed doing this but thinking about the times I almost did make me squirm.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #17
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Ben there's a nice roundabout and a little road I know where going 35-55 is enough to be enjoyable. I know the feeling though. It used to be fun to cruise at 75-90 down a slightly winding road but now it feels boring.

Old April 27th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #18
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

@cadd Track day is your best bet. You'll be able to push your own limits in a safe environment. My first track weekend I played around a lot with how much input I could give the bike leaned over and how far I could lean it over. Multiple times I slid the rear from too much throttle and had I been on a street I would have wrecked. I think I went off the track about 5 times that whole weekend. But I came out with so much knowledge of what my bike is capable of and what I can make it do if I ever need to. Those 3 track days taught me more than a whole year of riding experience I had of just street before it.

Old April 28th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #19
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

I am nearing fifty, and started riding less than a year ago. I learn so slowly, it's infuriating. So, weakness? Everything.

Old April 28th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #20
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
looking through the turns. getting better but still the main thing I feel I need to work on

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #21
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Corner entry, specifically trusting the front to settle and bite with minimal brake application at speed.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #22
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
It is interesting to me, as I have the same mentality about on road hard riding. I just flat do not want to do it anymore, not worth it. I ride hard on the track and ride overly cautious-responsible on the road with very very few exceptions.

Old April 28th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #23
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Awesome guys/gals! No wait... ahahahahahah We all have weaknesses. Thanks again for ya'lls input, it's more helpful than you know. My goal for this thread isn't for it to become a big advice thread, but instead for a bit of honesty and to hear in "the rider's own words" what concerns you the most.

Like many riders, I have more than one weakness. I also suck at consistently doing the faster throttle roll while picking the bike up on exit. Sooooo many seconds lost for me. If I think about it more, the habits I have developed racing the 250 has had an effect here. On exit, I normally have the 250 pinned, but this is not the case on my r6's and I forget to roll harder when I pick the bike up. :\

Old April 28th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #24
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Corner entry speed for me, more so on left turns.
Whether sweeper or 90* angle I feel I a) go to slow in b) more nervous in lefts

To practice A) I don't know yet b) stay in middle of lane more or possible right tire line.

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #25
psykown
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

Right hand turns dammit! Idk what it is about them, but I just dont feel as confident In them. I could take the same turn to my left way faster then my right. Thankfully it is getting much better I think it is because I sit a little crooked on the seat lol
psykown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #26
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, Yamaha TTR 125

I have a hard time trusting my brakes and tires. Always brake way too early when going into a corner. Also, I get way too disappointing when things aren't going the way I want them to, which only makes me mess up more

Old April 28th, 2015, 06:15 PM   #27
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ninja View Post
I have a hard time trusting my brakes and tires. Always brake way too early when going into a corner. Also, I get way too disappointing when things aren't going the way I want them to, which only makes me mess up more
I voiced this problem word for word to a very experienced coach, as in his track bike that he bought new 15 years ago has about 40,000mi on it, a few weeks ago. He set me on vision drills for the entire morning and the next thing I knew I was trusting the hell out of my brakes and tires (which are crap compared to most brakes/suspension/tires at the track)

Moral of the story is, everything seems to come more down to vision than anything else

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 28th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #28
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Mine like some of the others would be confidence. I was afraid of riding before I started and there would times when I don't want to try anything new or do something that I have done before because I am afraid that I would fail.
But I beat that feeling down, rip, punch, bite, claw and all......well most of times anyway

Old April 28th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #29
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Whataburger.

Another one for right handers. I just don't practice them enough.

Old April 29th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #30
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Whataburger.

Another one for right handers. I just don't practice them enough.
lol .... Whataburger is a gift .... not a weakness lol

Old April 29th, 2015, 06:14 AM   #31
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I voiced this problem word for word to a very experienced coach, as in his track bike that he bought new 15 years ago has about 40,000mi on it, a few weeks ago. He set me on vision drills for the entire morning and the next thing I knew I was trusting the hell out of my brakes and tires (which are crap compared to most brakes/suspension/tires at the track)

Moral of the story is, everything seems to come more down to vision than anything else
Eyes up and ahead will do wonders for your braking markers . I think most people get a bit panicky about getting slowed for a turn/brake marker as it came up a little "rushed" on them setting off the SRs. Eyes up helps everything for me.

Old May 4th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #32
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Ok where to start.......

Went on my first event ride, usually I ride alone. During it I took note of some things I found to be an issue. First and biggest, when riding outside I find myself feeling much more confident with my riding, this is probably cause I'm use to always riding on the left side of the road. So when it came to riding inside I found myself over worried which lead me to tense up in corners and brake more for corners. Also, I felt less pushed on keeping up when I rode in the pack of cruisers, when I was with the other sport bikes I felt like I was being pushed to keep up, even though regardless I wasn't falling behind. This lead me to feeling that I was coming into the corners at to quick a rate and had to brake a lil harder. I have footage of it all that I will be looking over to see what else need to work on then.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Do werk Nick!

Old May 11th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #34
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Didn't have a chance to read all of these just yet but I suck at high speed corners, often turn 1 at various tracks. Laguna, Mid Ohio, Fontanta, Sears Point, Barber, The Ridge etc.....My vision tends to narrow down in these high speed corners and I have to constantly remind myself to look into the turn BEFORE i actually turn the bike. If you put a recorder in my helmet you would hear me screaming, "LOOK..........TURN.....for the corners and reminding myself to push my vision out wide and not let myself target fixate on those type of corners.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2015, 05:33 AM   #35
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Mens' asses.

And riding at night scares me a lot. No idea why. Driving at night is fine.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2015, 05:38 AM   #36
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Do werk Nick!
I been feeling much more confident lately with leaning the bike more. Still got to work on riding on the right side.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #37
chemist
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 600 2012

Too much head knowledge without application and too little practice

Old May 12th, 2015, 09:35 AM   #38
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Who looked at this section of the forum to go slower today?
That would be me. I've found that low speed mastery helps me with everything else. If you can manage to ride smoothly at low speeds, then doing it at a higher speed (on a much more stable machine) is gravy.

Dragging knee in first gear while doing circles is very educational. Add in using the turn signals and horn as you do it if you really want to challenge yourself.

"I live my life a quarter mile (an hour) at a time!"

Weaknesses? Attractive women and alcohol. Preferably together.

Ride on,

J~

Old May 12th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #39
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot View Post
That would be me.

"I live my life a quarter mile (an hour) at a time!"

Weaknesses? Attractive women and alcohol. Preferably together.

Ride on,

J~
More alcohol makes them all attractive!

Old May 12th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #40
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
*husband walking out of house*
"Honey, don't forget to get something that makes me look pretty" - wife
*guy comes back with a case of beer*