ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 27th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #1
sparty93
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jill

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Advice on Buying Used?

Hi and welcome to my first post! I am a beginning rider and as the title suggests, I am looking to hopefully get some advice on buying my first bike.

Some background: My first experience on a motorcycle was through a motorcycle safety course. I passed and now I am looking for a used bike to ride and practice on. Getting help buying my first bike has been hard. I don't have anyone near me to check out bikes with or get real-time advice on my search

So, I'm turning to this forum for some help :3 I have a couple of questions and I'm wondering if anyone can either answer any of them or point me in the right direction.

1. I am in nyc and I have been looking at craigslist for Kawasaki Ninjas 250 any year. Since I have just started looking, I cannot tell what good market values in my area are. Mostly all postings for 250 ninjas are way above their blue book values. Do I hold out for prices around blue book values or pay a premium given the beginning of the season if the bike is in the promised condition? (There were postings for 2007 ninjas, in fairly new condition and both around 2-3k miles around $2000 but they sold within a week. I did not see them in person to verify condition.)

2. Is the following bike worth $2500? It is a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250. It is missing its front left turn signal and there is tape on the front right turn signal. There are slight scratches on the upper right body above the turn signal (showing that it was dropped but did not slide?) and the front tire seems more worn than the back. Other than these, the bike looks fairly new cosmetically. I found this post on craigslist but it was taken down within 1.5 hrs of it being posted (which also confuses me), so if memory serves the odometer is around 7k miles. I called while the listing was still up and talked to the seller. Although the post is down, we are still in contact and setting a time to meet. He is an hour away so I would like to hear someone's opinion on this bike/seller and whether I should jump on it or wait before I make an effort to check it out.

If you can help, I would appreciate any advice! Thank you for reading
sparty93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Jill! Good luck with your search!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #3
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty93 View Post
Hi and welcome to my first post! I am a beginning rider and as the title suggests, I am looking to hopefully get some advice on buying my first bike.

Some background: My first experience on a motorcycle was through a motorcycle safety course. I passed and now I am looking for a used bike to ride and practice on. Getting help buying my first bike has been hard. I don't have anyone near me to check out bikes with or get real-time advice on my search

So, I'm turning to this forum for some help :3 I have a couple of questions and I'm wondering if anyone can either answer any of them or point me in the right direction.

1. I am in nyc and I have been looking at craigslist for Kawasaki Ninjas 250 any year. Since I have just started looking, I cannot tell what good market values in my area are. Mostly all postings for 250 ninjas are way above their blue book values. Do I hold out for prices around blue book values or pay a premium given the beginning of the season if the bike is in the promised condition? (There were postings for 2007 ninjas, in fairly new condition and both around 2-3k miles around $2000 but they sold within a week. I did not see them in person to verify condition.)

2. Is the following bike worth $2500? It is a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250. It is missing its front left turn signal and there is tape on the front right turn signal. There are slight scratches on the upper right body above the turn signal (showing that it was dropped but did not slide?) and the front tire seems more worn than the back. Other than these, the bike looks fairly new cosmetically. I found this post on craigslist but it was taken down within 1.5 hrs of it being posted (which also confuses me), so if memory serves the odometer is around 7k miles. I called while the listing was still up and talked to the seller. Although the post is down, we are still in contact and setting a time to meet. He is an hour away so I would like to hear someone's opinion on this bike/seller and whether I should jump on it or wait before I make an effort to check it out.

If you can help, I would appreciate any advice! Thank you for reading

I can't say much about New York pricing but that seems high to me. I think around $2000-$2200 is more reasonable. You can get new lights and turn signals cheaply on Ebay and they are easy to install. If the fairing is cracked that is pricey to fix and hurts the value of the bike.

Old April 27th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg2077 View Post
I can't say much about New York pricing but that seems high to me. I think around $2000-$2200 is more reasonable. You can get new lights and turn signals cheaply on Ebay and they are easy to install. If the fairing is cracked that is pricey to fix and hurts the value of the bike.
A 2009 with reasonable mileage should be around $2,500 here in NJ. They'll probably advertise it for $3,000....but with some polite, yet stern negotiations, they should sell around $2,600 - $2,700 if the bike is in perfect condition (never dropped, etc).

Old April 27th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #5
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

As Cadd said, the price for a near perfect condition '09 250R is around $2,700 here in southern NJ.. As you get closer to the north (NYC), the price could creep up a bit.. I've seen the new-gens in great condition listed for as low as $2,200, but that was out of season.. With the riding season kicking in, the prices will be a few hundred above that..

A couple of questions for you though..

Are you looking for a particular color?? A particular year?? Any other guidelines to go by?? There's several of us in the area that can help scope out some of the bikes that are listed and could possibly point you in the right direction.. Heck, if it's not too far, one of us might even be able to meet with you to help go over a potential purchase..
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 05:06 AM   #6
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
A 2009 with reasonable mileage should be around $2,500 here in NJ. They'll probably advertise it for $3,000....but with some polite, yet stern negotiations, they should sell around $2,600 - $2,700 if the bike is in perfect condition (never dropped, etc).
The bike has been dropped AND it's just a few miles away from needing a valve check which will cost her like $300. With the damage to the signals it might not even pass inspection without work.

Old April 28th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #7
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Welcome Jill!!!

Best buying time for warm seasonal recreations are just before winter. Best selling is right before summer. Simple idea since most people want it when they can use it else it just takes up space. A none damaged newgen should go for between $2200 - $2800. I got mine for around $2600 from a dealer. Damaged depends on what they did after, did they fix the issue or just pass the problem on to the seller, less either way but even more if they left the issue for you.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Im pretty sure my friend would sell his Green 250 for around the 2000 mark. i think its an 09, but it has like 28k miles. If that doesnt scare you shoot me a PM, he lives in Mnt Kisco. The bike was dropped by myself in the bed of his pickup, he can point the damage out (small piece of the fairing broke off, slightly bigger than a quarter, but was glued the pieces back together). Other than that it was never in an accident, he commuted to work on it the past few years and just bought a 650 last month.

Old April 28th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #9
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Consider the following..

A replacement OEM fairing in NEW condition will cost about $280 (Cheapest I've found) after S&H.. It's simple to put on, and can be done easily by yourself.. If the green Ninjette that BBoP is talking about has no other cosmetic issues and is mechanically sound, that's a fantastic deal!! I'd jump on it.. Mileage isn't a huge issue as long as the bike has been well maintained..

I wouldn't concern myself with a replacement fairing just yet though.. Since you're just getting started, it might be best to not worry about replacing the fairing until you're comfortable on the bike.. This will lessen the chance of damaging the new fairing if that's the route you were to choose..
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:40 PM   #10
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

I'd worry less about the cosmetic damage, other than it being an indicator of possible damage or issues. It is a learner's bike for some, so accidents are bound to happen.

Look for a bike that was recently serviced and has passed inspection, if required in NY. New tires, valve jobs thousands of miles away in the future, sprocket and chain in tip top shape. All you want to spend on the first bike is gas and insurance. If it means paying a bit more first, it's well worth the money.

I've found that you know if a person is being forthright, motorcycling being a club of sorts. That said, caveat emptor! Trust your gut, if it doesn't feel right, walk away. There will always be another one.

You're buying at the start of the season, but the new R3 may bring prices down.
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote