ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 28th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Why so defensive?

I've never heard anyone say that the Ninja can't handle the highway. I'm also pretty sure I've never had anyone who rides tell me to upgrade. I always hear Ninja riders get REALLY defensive about these things, especially the highway thing. Why's that?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #2
Rudiger
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r(Sold) 2012 Ninja 1000 ABS

I think alot of us do deal with that. The group of guys in my area that ride bikes tell me to upgrade every time they see me. Or they start with the lawnmower jokes. It gotten to the point I won't ever ride with them and they wonder why.
Rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #3
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

It's cool to ride a big liter bike lol. Also remember to take up smoking.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #4
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Those who don't know squat about a bike, other than engine displacement, often speak as if they are experts. "A 250 is too small for the highway." "The engine can't take running at high rpms for long distances." "It doesn't have enough power to get out of the way." "You need a bigger bike for the highway."

Almost without exception, these "experts" never owned the bike they are commenting about, or only rode one for a hundred miles or so before "upgrading".

Old April 28th, 2015, 06:57 AM   #5
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Most people who talk it down don't know it. A friend of mine said, "oh, I thought it was smaller," the first time he saw it. Clearly he had never been close to one before.

Last futzed with by Ralgha; April 29th, 2015 at 07:16 AM.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #6
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

I don't group ride. It is something I want to do and don't care about what others say or think about MY moto. My ninja can do 100 mph and that is plenty for any highway I care to go on. As to a bigger bike, sure I want one
eventually, but that is purely for me when I am ready.

IMO, small bikes are cool.

Old April 28th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #7
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Problem is, people get way too defensive about nothing. Especially around here which is what OP is talking about. You try and say something like you want a bigger bike and people will jump on you like a pack of hyenas lmao.

Here's my opinion. The ninja 250 CAN go on the highway but it's miserable being there with it. The vibrations are ridiculous. Gusts of wind can literally blow you into other lanes! (I'm a light rider) And you don't have great passing power at all.

That is my experience with it. I hated the highway with my 250's. I'm sure some ninjette owners like it but i'm not one of them.
The ninja 300 is better suited for the highway but it also has some of these problems, you still get blown around (not as bad) but the vibrations are not that bad and you have good passing power up until about 100mph.

In hindsight, I understand why ninjette owners get annoyed with people "preaching" to them about what bike THEY are riding. Literally everyone in real life made fun of me for getting a 250. It was annoying. They said bs like it was a scooter, etc. And it got to the point where I just stopped talking to them about it.

I think what people need to realize is that don't try and push your ideology onto others. If someone wants to ride a ninja 250 then don't make fun of them. And if someone want a 600 for whatever reason then tell them the risks but be nice to them and let them do what they want to do.

Last futzed with by Hero Danny; April 28th, 2015 at 08:19 AM.
Hero Danny is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 28th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
My experience on the highway differs.

I did a 2600-odd mile on my Ninjette shortly after buying it and it was fine. No real vibrations, no severe wind issues (buffeting sure, but that happens anyway). It behaved a lot like my car, which is an econobox.

You make a good point about ideology. Rudiger got it... hanging around with people who give you grief about your bike is more about how immature they are than it is about your choices.

Personally, having Seen The Light myself, whenever I encounter the rider of a small bike I prefer to talk about how much fun they are.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #9
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

This does happen. And by that I mean both sides. People DO get defensive about it, and people DO hassle and harass those of us on quarter-liter bikes.

I get crap from my cruiser-faced father-in-law and his brother the V-Rod rider all the freaking time. But ya know what, whatever man. I enjoy the 250 platform and it by no means pushes the limits of my skill and riding abilities. It is STILL challenging to me. So why dump a bike that I have not mastered in favor of one that will likely be too much for me to utilize beyond 10% of what it can do?

I learned to ride on a 1500cc Suzuki cruiser, I've ridden 400cc Yamaha Maxims, CB750's, and also own a 1980 Yamaha 850 triple project bike... but I LOVE riding the Ninja 250.

And that's what I think.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
Problem is, people get way too defensive about nothing. Especially around here which is what OP is talking about. You try and say something like you want a bigger bike and people will jump on you like a pack of hyenas lmao.

Here's MY OPINION. The ninja 250 CAN go on the highway but it's miserable being there with it. The vibrations are ridiculous. Gusts of wind can literally blow you into other lanes! (I'm a light rider) And you don't have great passing power at all.

That is my experience with it. I hated the highway with my 250's. I'm sure some ninjette owners like it but i'm not one of them.
The ninja 300 is better suited for the highway but it also has some of these problems, you still get blown around (not as bad) but the vibrations are not that bad and you have good passing power up until about 100mph.

In hindsight, I understand why ninjette owners get annoyed with people "preaching" to them about what bike THEY are riding. Literally everyone in real life made fun of me for getting a 250. It was annoying. They said bs like it was a scooter, etc. And it got to the point where I just stopped talking to them about it.

I think what people need to realize is that don't try and push your ideology onto others. If someone wants to ride a ninja 250 then don't make fun of them. And if someone want a 600 for whatever reason then tell them the risks but be nice to them and let them do what they want to do.
FIFY

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #11
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
People take one look at my bike and the first thing that come to mind is "this dude needs a truck". People don't recommend I get a bigger bike or any of the other related suggestions because everyone thinks it's a 600 or bigger. My last 2500 mile weekend Mtb trip had three people think my bike was a 1000cc, two other a 600cc and even one person called it a 1200.

50hp is the magic # for the advanced street rider. Once I find a bike I really like with about 50hp that'll be the bike for me.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 28th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #12
crazymadbastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
People take one look at my bike and the first thing that come to mind is "this dude needs a truck". People don't recommend I get a bigger bike or any of the other related suggestions because everyone thinks it's a 600 or bigger. My last 2500 mile weekend Mtb trip had three people think my bike was a 1000cc, two other a 600cc and even one person called it a 1200.

50hp is the magic # for the advanced street rider. Once I find a bike I really like with about 50hp that'll be the bike for me.
Swap in an ex500 motor.

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #13
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

^ Ninja 500?

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #14
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
FIFY
lol fair enough. I'll edit my post.

Keep in mind, I am a light rider so the wind really does bully me sometimes at high speeds on an open road such as a highway.

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #15
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

Keep in mind, I am a light rider so the wind really does bully me sometimes at high speeds on an open road such as a highway.
I am sure i have a few stones on you but here is a picture from the ridge line road I take almost everyday too and from work

The wind isn't so bad, you get used to it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Somerset_Wind_Farm.jpg (67.1 KB, 4 views)

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #16
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

People that don't ride or know anything about bikes I just tell them I ride a Kawasaki Ninja and leave it at that.

I'm the Motorcycle Safety Rep at my command so I don't take a lot of crap for it but the little I do I just tell them, "I compensate enough with my truck."

ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
When I first got my bike, the sales creature tried telling me it wasn't a real bike and I should just get a 600 or 1000 bike since that's what I would upgrade to in 6 months anyway. So it does happen.

There are those who have the impression the 250 is nothing more than a toy and that it can't do what "real" bikes can. They either have never ridden a 250 or merely rode it with the mindset of "beginner bike" and never went anywhere (in skill or experience) with their 250. It's from them you get the whole "A 250 can't [insert activity here]."

The defensiveness comes from when a rider does do those things, and does them well, that being told repeatedly it "can't" or "won't" seems to undermine what that rider has actually done.

I was told early on, before I had done much with my bike, to upgrade and get more power so I could "keep up." I ignored that advice and stopped riding with those who have different goals than me. Now, I am again being told to upgrade, but it is by folks who know and respect the little bike, understand its strengths and weaknesses, and can see I am just now getting to the point where I've maxed out what I want out of my little bike. To them, I am listening and accepting their advice.

Same advice, in both cases, but only one is worth my time and attention. The rest I just smile, or laugh, and politely ignore.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 10:25 AM   #18
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
^ Ninja 500?
I sold mine to get a 300
N500 needs FI

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 10:28 AM   #19
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:

When you get to be more experienced, you will not notice the wind anymore then you would in a car.

Old April 28th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #20
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Now that I think about it, I think most people don't know my naked pregen is a 250. Lots of people have assumed it was a 500.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 11:52 AM   #21
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Quote:
The ninja 250 CAN go on the highway but it's miserable being there with it.
For sure. It's good fun and all, but sometimes I would just like to cruise at 80 MPH without having to pin the throttle to 9-10k RPM. Great bike for everything else though, especially when lane filtering on the freeway during rush hour.
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #22
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Never had anyone say anything to me. but everyone i ride with know i do the track too. and if they do start talking trash i invite them to the track. no takers yet.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #23
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Lots of people have chips on their shoulders.. and it's their divine purpose to inform others of how "they" would do something.

Luckily, my folks, my friends, and even my Harley riding, brain bucket wearing, king kong daddy looking azz father-in-law-to-be loves my little Ninja.

The only insult was from a friend that said "dude that sounds like a lawnmower".. but this was when I had the exhaust system in pieces, so his comment was accurate.

Side note.. the Rebel 250 and Nighthawk 250 are much closer to deserving of the "can't do____" title than the Ninja, even though any of the three can do it all!

Old April 28th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #24
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I ride the highway/freeway every day for the last 2.8 yrs, forty miles roundtrip. I have no issues what so ever. When I first started riding I had issues with high winds going over a suspension bridge, but now it doesn't faze me. I can get past and thru traffic with ease at speeds of 80 ish. Not sure why everyone has such issues, I only switched out my front sprocket with a 15T, kept rear stock. The buzzing isn't bad, granted I really have zero experience with any bigger bikes on the highway to compare it to. Changing the gearing, better grips, good thick soled boots, and good leather gloves and you will have no buzzing issues. If it is still that much of an issue than get the 300 or by all means shell out another few grand for a liter bike, plus an extra few grand a year for up keep of the bike, oh and full coverage insurance is more than double (at least here in Texas). I only see myself getting into stupid trouble with a 600 or bigger, There is no need for it unless you track, which I don't. I am an adrenaline junkie and more CC's equals loss of license or death for me. To each his own, if you are that insecure of what people say to you, you ride for the wrong reason. On a side note, I would like to see how the new R3 handles on the highway, which I am sure is more than enough power and stability for any rider.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 03:05 PM   #25
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:

R3....not quite 50, but at 44hp it seems to be right around a perfect number for me. I am really wanting one, just gotta pay of the ninja first.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #26
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

The one problem with the 250 isn't highway, it's not having the get up & go for a pass on an otherwise fast country road, you really have to plan it well in advance to make it stick.

**** it, I pushed the 250 harder than I do my 675, it only did about the ton, but I would regularly have it at 85-95+ mph (by GPS) on backroads, and could generally keep pace with a very good pilot on a 1200.

I must say I do like the 30-80 mph launch from a roll-on in 2nd gear and the growl of the triple, but wringing the **** off the 250, coming out of a corner with it pinned open, at ~14k RPM, & having to have the gearbox up & down like a whores knickers was a lot of fun.

If I found the ****ers that stole it I'd have their thumbs on a necklace, see how they go about stealing bikes then...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #27
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I am sure i have a few stones on you but here is a picture from the ridge line road I take almost everyday too and from work

The wind isn't so bad, you get used to it
Nice pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
When you get to be more experienced, you will not notice the wind anymore then you would in a car.
I don't think this is a problem with experience. lol. The problem is I got tiny tires and not much weight on me or the bike.

Old April 28th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #28
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

I feel you on the wind, Danny. I'm not a heavy weight either. Here's a video from a gusty day ride that I shot a while back. The biggest thing that I can offer is that fighting the bike makes things worse. It will correct itself if you let it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m3BkF5fGB4

As to people telling me that I need a bigger machine... They don't know enough about me or my riding to comment on the matter. (Am I to let others define my needs?) I meet a lot of students that are constantly being frightened by their liter-bikes. They're just ashamed to admit it publicly.

A co-worker does track days on his CBR-1000 and he has me labeled as "one of those 250 guys". Meaning that it's guys like me that paint him on the fence in the corners at the track. He admits that he's afraid to use the power that he has and I don't blame him a bit. I keep telling him - "It's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Ride on,

J~

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #29
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Quote:
crank or wheel?

I guess the sv650 is too much for me then :/

Old April 28th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #30
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Never had anyone say anything to me. but everyone i ride with know i do the track too. and if they do start talking trash i invite them to the track. no takers yet.
Action always speak louder than words.

Old April 28th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #31
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

If you need evidence of the intellect deficit our race is suffering from, visit a... uh... I forgot where I was going with that one. Visit anywhere, perhaps.

Oh right and I'm better than all of you because I know exactly how to point out your flaws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicomte de Chateaubriand (that french homo with his cigarettes and his not-wanting-to-get-involved-with-WWII-because-he-was-too-french)
You are not superior because you see the world in an odious light.

see what I did there?

Old April 29th, 2015, 04:08 AM   #32
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Nice pic!

I don't think this is a problem with experience. lol. The problem is I got tiny tires and not much weight on me or the bike.

I look forward to your posts about wind in 2 or 3 years.

Old April 29th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #33
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I've never had a problem on the freeway, it's smoother than my girlfriend's NT650 is. Wind is a small issue but it's not a big deal for me. The only (small) drawback is having to plan passes a little, but you have to do that with in most cars too
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #34
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I look forward to your posts about wind in 2 or 3 years.
Are you saying i'm going to put on weight? lmao!

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Are you saying i'm going to put on weight? lmao!
No... he is saying when you learn to not fight the wind, the front of the bike, how to counterweight to account for wind, use the throttle to make the bike push through wind gusts and generally ride loose.... riding in the wind isn't as big deal as it once was.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:58 AM   #36
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

We all do, Danny... it's inevitable we all become fat-bastards.

Old April 29th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
We all do, Danny... it's inevitable we all become fat-bastards.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 29th, 2015, 09:50 AM   #38
crazymadbastard

When I first read the title, I thought this was going to be about defensive riding...

Old April 29th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #39
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
OP,

It has happened to me many, many times. I bought my ninja initially to prove them wrong. Then fell in love with it. As other have said, it's a quick betrayal of that person's intellect and maturity and a great way to figure out if they are worth riding with or not. The more one knows, the more difficult it is to take a hard stance on anything as it's easy to see the other side. The people who don't know usually have the most intense opinions, which they share freely, so they can feel as though they know, and are right...

Concerning the wind - my worst experience with it has been crossing the Bonneville salt flats. The bike was redlining in 3rd or 4th gear to stay at 65mph at a permanent 30 degree or so angle while getting pelted with salt for an hour. Visibility was 100ft. Previously that day I met up with a delightful bloke on a heavy Harley who had also suffered the wind through Nevada previously that day as I did. We had lunch together and he left before I did. I saw him pulled over during the salt storm as he was obviously not comfortable riding his bike through that kind of wind. Semi's were pulled over as well. I'm not sure if having a bigger would have helped here, so I'm not sure if the ninjette can be the reason for discomfort in wind. I do however know for sure that a rider's abilities, just like with every other riding situation are the key.

We have a saying here in Colorado, not sure if it's used anywhere else: "You haven't truly ridden a motorcycle until you've leaned left going around a right hand turn (or vis-a-vis)."

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #40
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I think most uneducated ninjette owners (most likely not part of this forum) are more defensive because.....bigger bike = bigger penis, right?

What I hope happens is for that ninjette rider to develop his skills on the ninjette, take courses.....and be able to do this:

Link to original page on YouTube.

....then, instead of being defensive about it....he can make a video and show it to whoever tells him he needs to upgrade. Then politely ask them if they would like to join him and play around on the track with him.

I think that would certainly open the eyes of larger bikes. At the same time, both riders will have a crap load of fun on the track (not racing each other....but just riding and building skills).