ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM   #1
Broc
ninjette.org member

Name: Broc

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Black - Sold / 2011 Honda CB1000R

Resetting CCT while on the bike

I have a ticking noise off of throttle as seen in a previous thread. My first attempt to fix is of course to reset the CCT, being the cheapest easiest thing to try first. However, I cannot find the gasket anywhere that isn't a week and a half out. In an effort to forgo an leaks I was gonna trying resetting the CCT while on the bike, leaving the (2) 8mm bolts secured. I had read someone else saying they had done the reset on the bike.

After doing some reading and looking at the service manual it appears I can do the following and achieve the same resetting as if I were to remove the entire CCT.

(1). Bike is off and in neutral
(2). Remove right fairing
(3). Remove center 10mm bolt/cap
(4). Use a flat blade screw driver,alot of pressure, and turn the center screw clockwise until it stops.

This should retract and reset the CCT, correct? Then by removing the screw driver the CCT rod will extract back contacting the timing chain.

Or do you need the extra force on the CCT Rod end to retract the rod? As seen here http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50930

I guess I'm asking if anyone else has done the reset this way?

It may indeed be alot easier to pull the CCT, reset, and reinstall. I'm just trying to totally eliminate the possibility of the gasket leaking. None of the Kawi dealerships have either the CCT or gasket. I suppose I always have some gasket material and silicone if it does leak.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #2
FF0000
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EX250F)

Sorry, I'm of no help, but what does CCT stand for?
FF0000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:55 PM   #3
Broc
ninjette.org member

Camshaft Chain Tensioner

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM   #4
FF0000
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EX250F)

Thanks!
FF0000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM   #5
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broc View Post
I guess I'm asking if anyone else has done the reset this way?
Yup. That's how you "reset" the cct. But I can tell you the click will be back. Same thing with a new cct. From what I can gather the kawi-click is something you'll just have to live with. Buy a mgp growler and that pesky click will be gone

Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:23 PM   #6
bob706

Be mindful of the torque specs on that cct!

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Broc
ninjette.org member

Thanks.

I'm hoping it's just a noisy Kawi motor but I'm not sure since I haven't fully checked everything. I only have 12,000 miles but I ride this little thing like I stole it. My baffled HMF Slip-on doesn't muffle the noise very much either.

Valves are all within spec and I don't believe it fits the old-gen related clutch basket noise. The baskets also appear to be different from old to new gen.

Only reason I am further investigating is to make sure there is no mechanical issues. I am looking to sell the bike next year and I would never want to hand something serious down to an unsuspecting buyer.

BTW Bob, I seen you had performed the reset and the noise went away. Did yours return in sometime as well?

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM   #8
bob706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broc View Post
BTW Bob, I seen you had performed the reset and the noise went away. Did yours return in sometime as well?
The noise came back. I changed my original cct at 13,344 miles. (had to break out my log book ) The new one starting clicking shortly after installation so either kawasaki cct's are crap or something inside is just inherently clicky. I wouldn't worry about it. If it really bothering you just remove it and soak it in oil. The gasket should be fine.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Broc
ninjette.org member

Interesting, thanks a lot for the fast response!

Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just think of it as a sign of quality. ever hear a ducati? nastiest sounds i've ever heard from that dry clutch

Old February 25th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

People act like the "click" sound is normal, but what if mine sounds like a horrible rattling chain? Its "horrible" when starting cold but eventually seems to settle down until I rev in neutral and I hear it come back for several seconds even after RPMs fall, as if I disturbed the loose chain and it takes a few seconds before everything falls back in place.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #12
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
People act like the "click" sound is normal, but what if mine sounds like a horrible rattling chain? Its "horrible" when starting cold but eventually seems to settle down until I rev in neutral and I hear it come back for several seconds even after RPMs fall, as if I disturbed the loose chain and it takes a few seconds before everything falls back in place.
I think there is a difference between a click, clank, clatter, tink or tick. Your may sound like a clatter or rattle, to someone with the same symptom it may sound like a tick. To me chains tend to make more of a clatter or tinking noise that increases with engine speed.

There is one sound that is normal among CV type carbs however It tends to get overlooked...slide rattle, which can be heard more at idle and tends to go away when throttle is applied. Even though we have Keihin carbs this info about slide rattle from Mikuni may help a little since they work similar. http://www.mikuni.com/c-faq.html
Also some info from Factory Pro. http://www.factorypro.com/tech/needle_jet_wear.html
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #13
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Is there audio/video of the sound?

Also, if it is the CCT, consider getting a manually adjusted one. I have one and won't go back. Just be careful not to over-tighten it.

This where I got mine: http://zxzone.com/tensioners.html
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Is there audio/video of the sound?

Also, if it is the CCT, consider getting a manually adjusted one. I have one and won't go back. Just be careful not to over-tighten it.

This where I got mine: http://zxzone.com/tensioners.html
Interesting. I stripped the threads for the cap bolt and may need one. The good news is that resetting the CCT per the service manual got rid of the noise. When Casey and I did the valves, we did it entirely differently (that is my bike in the valve service video) and I suspect that may be the problem. In fact, the manual specifically says not to do it like that! But, if what this thread says is true, it may be completely unrelated and come back in no time. I did record a video of that I posted here last Fall but I'll have to dig up the link. IIRC, the sound in the video is kinda drowned out by the rest of the engine noise but it is loud and impossible to ignore in person.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote