ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 9th, 2018, 07:04 AM   #1
saber63
ninjette.org member

Name: F

Motorcycle(s): '90 250 project, '03 250r, '14 STR,12 STR, '01 R6

Needing a mental refresh. Got another 250.

Alrighty! Picked up an '03 with 4k miles. Runs and drives but needs tires, fluids, and cables lubed/adjusted.

Ill probably borrow parts off the motorswap project. (Lower riser bars, breaks, etc...)

So a few questions!

I see 17" swap is a thing. Are their aftermarket wheels that work now?
For 16" are the MT 75/diablo/gt501 still the go to sport/track tire?

Front suspension, any springs that fit now? Damper options? (Last pair i had damping ports and oil changed and springs modfied by GP suspension. Better, but meh )
Rear suspension, the GSXR shock still the way to go?

For motor... pods vs airbox, was anything proven on that one? (Pods better for >10JMK RPM, Air box for <10k)

Exhaust options? next month i should be able to build my owN 2-2 or 2-1? Where to source mufflers? Tube lengths/diameters?

Anything new uncovered in the last 5 years i should know about?

Thanks so much! I'm looking forward to riding smaller bikes some more.

-Levi
saber63 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old September 9th, 2018, 07:07 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congratulations on the new bike! Show us some pics when you get the chanc.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2018, 04:12 PM   #3
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

17" wheel swap from new gen or 300 is doable. There is a sticky how to thread on it. Down side of them is they are still expensive because people with r3's are snagging them and converting them because ifc the lack of extra r3 wheels.

I went with ex 500 wheels. They are very cheap by comparison. They are about 1or 2 lbs heavier than new gen wheels. Buy lighter tires to make up that difference if weight is a concern.

Front end, well your wallet is the limit. Still have hold valve emulators. Rigor intinmidators for slightly more than the gve. Intinmidators are install and go, no tuning like gve. But the 2 bikes I have rode that have them, no tuning nessecarry.

There is a guy on east coast that will install gsxr internals into your pregen forks. I believe it was about 400 bucks for that when I spoke with him.

He also sells matris f15 cartridges that drop right in after he changes the shim stack. It was north of 600 for them. But damn they are nice. Easy peasy adjustability. I still running stick clip ons with them. Remove clip on to gain access to adjust the front end.

Also added bonus with them is I can remove them and use them in New gen 250 or a 300. Internally all 3 have same diameter fork tubes.

Gsxr shock is the cheapest way for adjustable rear.

Pods belong on your cb650 bobber project. Can you make them work, yes. Will they perform as well as stock air box? No.

Exhaust, used muzzy is the way to go if you can find it. I see there was a post about how to make a 2-1 for pregen. Do a search and you will find the how to slow your already slow bike down some more with homemade exhaust.

cheers
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2018, 11:19 PM   #4
saber63
ninjette.org member

Name: F

Motorcycle(s): '90 250 project, '03 250r, '14 STR,12 STR, '01 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber side down View Post

Also added bonus with them is I can remove them and use them in New gen 250 or a 300. Internally all 3 have same diameter fork tubes.
Can you elaborate on this one? I can drop any kit for a Ninja300 into a pregen 250???? ( with a slight valving adjustment) And still be able to stick it into a newer fork!?

Other wise, Nice to know not a ton has changed! I'll have to look into the wheels for the project bike. It could use a bigger tire...

I'm battling the slippery slope where, if not kept in check, i'll spend more than a new 400 costs, without nearly the performance. I'd better keep the motor %100 stock. (maybe after the project is down, i'll mess with it) and just do budget suspension changes.

I ordered up a 04-05 gsxr shock(if not just for its spring, as its perfect, i have a 06+ shock in the project bike arealdy) and a pair of ninja 300 front springs. again because perfect rate...

The bike is in crazy good shape, so much so, i'm pulling all the nice bits off, and swapping on the old rashed up bits so the wife doen't feel bad if she drops it. Oh and a pair of bar mounted mirrors so those don't get trashed either.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AdT9GuzPXZthoWxeA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5PTEDSeZxNfVu2d47
saber63 is offline   Reply With Quote