ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 18th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #1
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Hyosung + ATK

Found this bit of info out on a local forums here in Florida. Seems that S&L motors (Hyosung) and ATK are teaming up to share tech, costs, supplies and other things. The only downside I see is the idea of using the Harley dealership network to help sell them. Here's the articles explaining more:

Partnership between ATK and Hyosung....

Harley Davidson dealership network to be used......
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

interesting
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #3
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Somehow I don't think the bikes will sell very well among die-hard Harley owners.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #4
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

I don't see the link to KTM?

Old November 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ATK <> KTM; I changed the original post.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #6
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

I've heard of Hyosung and we even have a dealer an hour or two away. But what is an ATK, never heard of them. Or is it some HD dealer network or something?
Tony

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #7
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Interesting,
One of the last times Harley was struggling was because they had no small displacement bikes and that's what the competition was selling.

So they go and get rid of Buell same engine size issue, which was made in America with all those associated costs. Hyosung make cheap parts in Taiwan, ship them to America ATK build it and call it an "American Motorcycle". ATK probably can tool up there assembly line from dirt bikes to street bikes very easily. So Hyosung sell a lot of parts to ATK, ATK sell a lot of bikes and HD obviously get some kind of cut out of the dealer network. HD also don't have to brand anything and risk there brand as they seem to think the brand is what will save them.

Basically it looks like to cut costs they killed Buell and outsourced the building of "bikes HD can sell to people who don't want a HD" to Hyosung and ATK. I would no be surprised if the resulting street bike used Hyosungs V-twin based on old (but decent) Suzuki technology. We know HD love there v-twins. Can't see ATK's singles being used as they are built in America and will cost more than a foreign built V-twin. Style will probably not be as sporty as hyosungs GT250, probably more like a naked bike or a standard so that the path to "upgrade" to a HD is clear.

I can see how this is good for all 3 companies. Hyosung probably being the biggest winners of the lot. (bike sales, part sales and a dealer network and all in time for christmas). ATK get to sell the "American" version of the same bike to those who fear buying a High-O-Sung. HD take a cut and get people starting out on a bike thats more likely to lead them to buying an HD. Same way you see people moving from ninja 250's to zx6 or zx10, the 250 is the basic DNA bike for Kawasaki.

Can't say I'm terrible excited about the prospective bike though. I'd rather have a KTM RC4 with a 450cc single in a sexy 250GP chassis, HD+Hyosung+ATK are gong to have a hard time competing with this if its released.

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

The squids will still never go in a HD dealership so they wouldn't be getting much from the dealer network. A good handful of shops will probably refuse to sell these bikes, some because they were doing very well with Buell sales, and some because they couldn't manage to sell a single Buell in a year and will do no better with these new out of country bikes.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

ATK made (makes?) some interesting dirtbikes. Kind of like Buell in thinking outside the box. I think they actuall had the rear brake on the c/s sprocket at one time, had rear shock without a linkage mounted to side of swingarm. I believe the founder was Horst Leitner something or other who had an inovative rear suspension for mountain bikes known as the Horst link.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

ATK 4 stroke dirbike from the 80s, again like Buell some thinking outside the box. Note single shock on left, mounted directly to swingarm (no linkage to grease after a day in the dirt), and right side of the bike has a small disk brake next to the front sprocket. He was all about reducing the distance between the c/s sprocket and the swingarm pivot - doing so causes the chain to not tigthen and loosen so much as the suspension goes up and down. Oddly enough he didn't use a link on his motorcycles but did on his mountain bikes - just read that he sold that patent to Specialized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HorstATK1a.jpg (112.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg HorstATK2.jpg (88.2 KB, 3 views)

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #11
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Well, what I am reading makes sence. A HD dealer can have a license to sell HD and have their logo on the store front and still maintain a license to sell other brands without having HD directly involed. I would imagine that it is similar to the Kawasaki dealer close to me where they also sell Ducati's and Yamaha's. No direct affiliation..just a dealer having a license to sell more than one brand.

The Harley dealer close to me also sells Triumphs. I have heard honda and Harley being under the same roof in other states.

Again, no affiliation, just a dealer have the licenses to sell.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #12
backinthesaddleagain

I remember in the 80s a HD / Yamaha dealer. HD dealer in RI also adding Triumph (supposedly).

Old November 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #13
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
ATK 4 stroke dirbike from the 80s, again like Buell some thinking outside the box. Note single shock on left, mounted directly to swingarm (no linkage to grease after a day in the dirt), and right side of the bike has a small disk brake next to the front sprocket. He was all about reducing the distance between the c/s sprocket and the swingarm pivot - doing so causes the chain to not tigthen and loosen so much as the suspension goes up and down. Oddly enough he didn't use a link on his motorcycles but did on his mountain bikes - just read that he sold that patent to Specialized.
Rotax engines rock..that's a neat bike..from the 80's you say?

Old November 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Yeah, I think they mid 80s (86 or so).
I guess they still make them though they look more mainstream except for the high quality ohlins front and rear suspension.

Old November 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #15
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Yah, sorry, my bad about saying KTM instead of ATK. Made the post late at night when tired and just put in the wrong letters.

As for HD in all this. HD is having nothing to do with deal and stand to gain nothing from it at all. Just like others have said, it's just the dealerships which are privately owned and licensed that would gain from this venture. I do believe they would be better off looking at something more along the lines of Kawasaki or Suzuki dealerships.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote