ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Venting hot air from the radiator to legs.

Would this be reasonably possible? My only mode of transportation is bike/bus and its getting quite cold where I'm at. I was thinking maybe I could vent some hot air to my knees.

What do you guys think about this?
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Heated gear. Not cheap, but the ultimate solution to riding comfortably in any temp.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
What do you guys think about this?
Unless you could place your knees directly behind the radiator, you will not feel but the cold air stream that hits your body directly, after you reach certain speed.

Hot air is going to behave just like when you throw something out through the window of a moving car; it joints the air stream and flies straight back.

The exhaust pipe and the radiator can give you some heat, if you stop the bike and squat downwind for a few minutes; however, your cloth will insulate your body from that heat as much as it does it from the cold.

As Alex explains above, there is electrically heated handle grips, cloth, boots and gloves.

Try to keep the heat in your body wearing insulated over-pants, heavy gloves, newspapers inside your jacket and some protection for your neck (very important because the neck gives away tons of body heat to the air stream).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heat deflector.JPG (10.2 KB, 0 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

its not too bad for short 15-20min rides to just bundle up and use a neck guard.

any longer than that and i would get heated gear, probably vest, gloves, and socks.

Old November 14th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #5
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
its not too bad for short 15-20min rides to just bundle up and use a neck guard.

any longer than that and i would get heated gear, probably vest, gloves, and socks.
Actually its quite bad and my ride is about 12 minutes long. When I get off the bike my knees feel as if they need to be lubed. I notice this happens whenever my knees get really cold, not to mention my hands and freezing. Maybe I'm a wimp or the cold is significant. I guess heated gear is the solutions :\ got to start making a heated gear fund now.

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #6
lgk

Quote:
Actually its quite bad and my ride is about 12 minutes long. When I get off the bike my knees feel as if they need to be lubed. I notice this happens whenever my knees get really cold, not to mention my hands and freezing. Maybe I'm a wimp or the cold is significant. I guess heated gear is the solutions :\ got to start making a heated gear fund now.
what kind of gear are you riding with?

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What pants are you currently wearing? Unless it's jeans, I'm wondering how anyone's knees can get that cold in 12 minutes.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #8
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
What pants are you currently wearing? Unless it's jeans, I'm wondering how anyone's knees can get that cold in 12 minutes.
Both of these.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ns---2010.aspx
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ns---2010.aspx

My guess is because its quite cold? haha that's all I got really. Plus they breathe relatively well. I'm still searching for my thermal's for my legs. All I've found were my shirt thermals.

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
lgk

dude... you need to get some water proof overpants with a liner.

the sedici ones aint too bad for warmth... but you need to get separate knee pads for protection.

they have thermal leggings at target, and underarmors work ok.

what kind of gloves are you wearing?

might have to invest in some good insulated ones....

Old November 14th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #10
lgk

Quote:
My guess is because its quite cold? haha that's all I got really. Plus they breathe relatively well. I'm still searching for my thermal's for my legs. All I've found were my shirt thermals.
breathing well, means they don't insulate well. you just need different gear for winter riding.

ditch the jeans, lol.

Old November 14th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #11
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

I live in Texas as well. No idea how cold it is in El Paso but I've never gotten cold with just my regular pair of black jeans. Pants with Synthetic blends in them also help if you are wearing jeans.

Why don't you just buy thermal under wear?

Edit: Also what happened to your creativity guys? There's not even one idea on how to vent hot air to his legs?

Maybe you'd have to find a way to close off the front of your fairings and then install two small fans to blow hot air to your legs?
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

The lack of venting from the engine to the knee isn't the problem that needs fixing.

(Yes, you will be cold in those jeans in cold weather regardless of any home-brew hot-air ducting attempts)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Shove a hose in the exhaust. Then run the end of the hose into your jacket.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Buy a Goldwing. Those heat vents come standard.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #15
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Name: pimpybra

Motorcycle(s): Yellow 2002 Ninja 250

After I couldn't feel my fingers on the ride home yesterday, and had to stop at a Burger King to use the bathroom's hand dryers to get the feeling and PAIN back.... I spent way too much time looking up heated gear.

A lot of forums have members which have done their own DIY heated gear: http://www.nashvilleriders.com/index...on-fire-part-1

I hope to do the same, but usually my body is set, it was just my hands. My gloves are summer and don't protect against wind AT ALL... so that's a problem too
pimpybra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
http://www.instructables.com/id/Moto...ow-deflectors/

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN...omAccessories/

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119055
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #17
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

i got http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx and i can tell u its prly the best thing ive bought for my bike. ive driven 70mph in 30 degree temps and not even come close to getting cold with just that over my regular work clothes. i had thought of getting heated gear but the reviews on this one piece were good, and i am not disappointed in it
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 15th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #18
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Disclaimer:not responsible for carbon monoxide poisoning, embarrassment from smelling like a you were in the middle of a forest fire, and burns from exhaust gas. Do this at your own risk!!!

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #19
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Just rode to work this morning, it was 33.8F degrees when I left. I used one of those little disposable hand warmer pouches on my right hand (between my riding glove and outerglove) and that seemed to really help. The rest of me was fine.

I just ordered some handlebar mitts on amazon, and while they are for ATVs, one of the reviewers said it worked great on his Ninja, so for $13 it's worth a shot.

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #20
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpybra View Post
After I couldn't feel my fingers on the ride home yesterday, and had to stop at a Burger King to use the bathroom's hand dryers to get the feeling and PAIN back.... I spent way too much time looking up heated gear.

A lot of forums have members which have done their own DIY heated gear: http://www.nashvilleriders.com/index...on-fire-part-1

I hope to do the same, but usually my body is set, it was just my hands. My gloves are summer and don't protect against wind AT ALL... so that's a problem too
just get some insulated gloves for around $50 olympia and teknic ones i have do a pretty good job.

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #21
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

insulated gloves work well at low speeds, but get moving and you're going to want more.

hot grips makes some nice heated hand grips for our bikes, and just handlebars in general. I've been thinking of picking up a pair. My am commute at 29 degrees got a little chilly on my fingers after about 20 minutes.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #22
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
insulated gloves work well at low speeds, but get moving and you're going to want more.

hot grips makes some nice heated hand grips for our bikes, and just handlebars in general. I've been thinking of picking up a pair. My am commute at 29 degrees got a little chilly on my fingers after about 20 minutes.
I've read a lot that they will help keep your palm warm, but back of hand and fingertips might still get cold.

I had the heat pouch thing in my glove in my palm, and that probably behaves the same way. My palm was HOT (even with it outside of the leather riding glove), and fingers were still cold but not as bad as what they were without the heatpack.

I was also on the road for maybe 45 minutes or more, with majority of it at 65-75mph, so a lot of wind.

Old November 15th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #23
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If you are on a budget, just get yourself a set of insulated Dickies coveralls from Walmart for about $70. They will hold up fine for you relatively short yet cold ride and you can be fully dressed/geared underneath.
The Duck Insulated Coveralls are water repellent, have double knees and zip up both legs and down to the waist for easy on/off.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #24
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Big a post a coming.

Quote:
dude... you need to get some water proof overpants with a liner.

the sedici ones aint too bad for warmth... but you need to get separate knee pads for protection.

they have thermal leggings at target, and underarmors work ok.

what kind of gloves are you wearing?

might have to invest in some good insulated ones....
Some icon summer gloves. I know all this but I'm too poor to afford any of these things at the moment. At the least it will take me a month to be able to make my first purchase so until then I'm trying to improvise. Today I used some cowhide work gloves over the bike gloves and they worked exceptionally well. If I had the silk liners on top of that I think I would have been set but 3 gloves? Haha! I'd much prefer some winter gloves.

Quote:
breathing well, means they don't insulate well. you just need different gear for winter riding.

ditch the jeans, lol.
I Know... I know :\ just poor am I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
Why don't you just buy thermal under wear?
Lack of money. College student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Quote:
Disclaimer:not responsible for carbon monoxide poisoning, embarrassment from smelling like a you were in the middle of a forest fire, and burns from exhaust gas. Do this at your own risk!!!

That sounds like a great idea! I remember last winter I would always put my hands near the exhaust and rev the engine at lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Buy a Goldwing. Those heat vents come standard.
Sounds very nice, I saw a thread about making winter wind screens, thinking about doing that too with plexi glass. Maybe go as far to make a big ol' bubble like the 100mpg ninjettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcalhoun View Post
i got http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...iece-Suit.aspx and i can tell u its prly the best thing ive bought for my bike. ive driven 70mph in 30 degree temps and not even come close to getting cold with just that over my regular work clothes. i had thought of getting heated gear but the reviews on this one piece were good, and i am not disappointed in it
Actually that looks great! No fiddling with tons of winter gear, take care of it all with one thing. Won't even need to make a windshield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpybra View Post
Just rode to work this morning, it was 33.8F degrees when I left. I used one of those little disposable hand warmer pouches on my right hand (between my riding glove and outerglove) and that seemed to really help. The rest of me was fine.

I just ordered some handlebar mitts on amazon, and while they are for ATVs, one of the reviewers said it worked great on his Ninja, so for $13 it's worth a shot.
You mean these? I've thought of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
If you are on a budget, just get yourself a set of insulated Dickies coveralls from Walmart for about $70. They will hold up fine for you relatively short yet cold ride and you can be fully dressed/geared underneath.
The Duck Insulated Coveralls are water repellent, have double knees and zip up both legs and down to the waist for easy on/off.
Sounds good. Been wanting some of those to look like a mechanic or something of the sort. Got to wait ofc.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:57 AM   #25
akcalhoun
ninjette.org member

Name: aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 honda shadow phantom

adan trust me on that one peice suit its on sale today for $160 and it keeps you soooo warm and i just wear that over my work clothes takes me like 5 min. to get rdy to ride now. used to i had to put on like 5 layers plus 2 jakets and i still got colder than i do with that one piece, plus it is water proof. you wont be disappointed if you buy it, i love mine to death
akcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:16 PM   #26
thumper64
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Overpants. Anything that will block the wind will keep your legs warmer. And I wear fleece pajama pants underneath sometimes, as well as a fleece jacket. It doesn't stay wet if you sweat, but it's good insulation. Obviously it's worthless for any kind of protection.

Old November 24th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #27
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

wool underwear
wool leggings
canvas pants/jeans
fleece lined sweatpants
wind+waterproof overpants
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #28
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcalhoun View Post
adan trust me on that one peice suit its on sale today for $160 and it keeps you soooo warm and i just wear that over my work clothes takes me like 5 min. to get rdy to ride now. used to i had to put on like 5 layers plus 2 jakets and i still got colder than i do with that one piece, plus it is water proof. you wont be disappointed if you buy it, i love mine to death
This is probably the solution I'm going to go with. Sadly though due to my financial conditions I probably won't be able to use the suit until next winter. Luckily though I found my thermal pants and a buddy (shop owner) gave me some winter gloves to pay for when I get the money ^_^

Still cold though, just have leg problems now which aren't so bad with the thermals.

Old November 25th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #29
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

One thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned (or at least not directly) is to wear a rain suit over your regular gear. Rain suit or just a rain jacket and rain pants. Unless you have a specifically waterproof winter jacket, mos of the jackets I wear do a great job of insulating, but a terrible job of keeping in heat once you're on the move. Rain gear typically helps me through 10 more degrees of cold weather. Layer underneath and the only problem is my toes and my fingers! Heated grips are nice, but as mentioned, it still leaves the majority of your hands cold.

I also find that tucking your shirt in if you're wearing a sport cut jacket helps me a good deal as well.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote