ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 19th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Tiny oil leak

My bike has oil coming out of the spark plug area on the left side. Right looks fine. It comes out at such a slow rate that I haven't had to worry about it getting low, but if there are some issues that this could indicate/lead to that I should consider, by all means, educate me

Oh, also, when I changed my oil, I found some dried silicone sealant floating around in it, like the kind that goes around gaskets and really really sucks at keeping oil in and doing its job because it always peels up. I think that could definitely be a contributing factor. (minirant: I hate this stuff. I can see why one would think it'd be great because of it's rubberlike properties and insanely high melting point, but it's just not tacky enough to stay on effectively)

My guess is the spark plug gasket, but I'm not sure because I haven't gone spelunking in there yet. I've just looked at some parts diagrams. If anyone has any input before I get my hands dirty, it's definitely appreciated here!

Thanks!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
My bike has oil coming out of the spark plug area on the left side.

Oh, also, when I changed my oil, I found some dried silicone sealant floating around in it, like the kind that goes around gaskets and If anyone has any input before I get my hands dirty, it's definitely appreciated here!

Thanks!
You are correct, that is oil splashing inside the cams/valves department, some of which slowly escape through the rubber gasket of the head cover that seals the well of the plug.
I assume that oil is showing up throug that orifice on by the side of the head, which is a drain for that plug' well.
There is nothing to worry about until adjusting the valves.
Then, you will clean all the surfaces and gaskets of any silicone.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

I'd agree no big worries because the filter/ mesh will catch any sealant before it reaches an oilway. I would however change the gasket now because it might be a big leak held back by a silicone bodge that is breaking up.
It's a pretty simple job and you get to sleep easy afterwards instead of having a nag-worm before every long ride.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Mmkay. Thanks guys! When I get around to fixing it, I'll let you know how it turns out.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote