ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Ninjetteshubby
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): Honda Hornet 900(mine) kawasaki ninja 250(wife's)

2005 rebuild help thread

Well instead of making a bunch of threads as problems arise. Figured I'd just ask in one.

I bought a 2005 ninja 250 for my wife. she wanted to learn how to ride. so we bought one that was broken down, and i have till our baby is born to fix it. She made the joke shes gonna deliver our son with her helmet on so she can ride right away lol.

Anyways let me start with my most pressing issue. I just had the carbs rebuilt and I just installed them. First couple of fire ups ran fine. Now it wants to wander. I fired it up gave it a rev and let go of throttle, the rpm stayed at 3,000 then went to 3,500 then to about 2,700.
Also going through the RPM band it hits a dead spot at 6,500 almost seems like it flooding out then breaks past it and jumps to 8,000.
I can get it to idle at 1,500 fine. but once i start giving it throttle thats when the issues happen.
bike has 2,xxx original miles
Ninjetteshubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
original intake and exhaust? is the choke turned off? i would check for vacuum leaks on the carbs.

Old December 15th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Ninjetteshubby
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
original intake and exhaust? is the choke turned off? i would check for vacuum leaks on the carbs.
Aftermarket intake (out of necessity only, broke the stock airbox trying to get to the carbs) factory exhaust, choke is turned off.
Whats the best way to check for leaks?

Old December 16th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Ninjetteshubby
ninjette.org newbie

Well it just needed some fresh gasoline.
Got a more pressing issue anyways.
We bought this bike for $400 under the belief that it was stuck in second gear.
Well I have been trying to figure out whats wrong and im stuck.
Just now I fired her up. down shifted into 1st from neutral and let out the clutch and the engine died. even from 4,000 rpm it would just die.

I lifted up the rear tire and I can feel the trans go into gear. pulled the side cover off the left hand side (just the plastic peep hole thingy) and the engine does not move but the tire moves even though its in first. can even hear the gears moving. I already checked the clutch and although its worn it still seems to have more than enough material on each disk. I made sure the clutch cable wasn't per-loaded keep the clutch disengaged by taking off the cable. and still nothing.

ANY help? My wife wants me to drive up to her grandmas house on it x-mas eve dinner to surprise everyone.

Old December 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Ninjetteshubby
ninjette.org newbie

Well stalling issue was caused by kick stand down. But if i shift into first. Which it feels like it goes into first i let out the clutch but dont move anywhere!!!

Old December 17th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
check that your clutch is engaging and disengaging? maybe check the clutch out by peeking through the oil filler cap

Old December 16th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #7
Ninjetteshubby
ninjette.org newbie

Thread NECRO!
Bringing this one back from the dead

So to give an update, last year around this time my wife and I separated and got divorced officially about 8 months ago. Ironically we are on good terms now.
Well, she originally took her bike with her when she moved, but it has collected dust for a year. I am remodeling my house told her I was selling some furniture ended up trading a entertainment system for the motorcycle. Was going to sell entertainment stand for $50 so I feel I got a Good deal lol.

ANYWAYS! The original problem with the bike was the shifter got bumped off the stud in the crankcase, simple fix. While I was putting the engine back together i broke a camshaft

After a new camshaft I somehow messed up my timing and broke 3 rocker arms

Right now I am searching for some cheap rocker arms and planning what im going to do to frame.
I am thinking about hacking up the frame and making a custom bobber...

Either way ill try to keep yall updated

Old December 16th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjetteshubby View Post
Thread NECRO!
Bringing this one back from the dead

So to give an update, last year around this time my wife and I separated and got divorced officially about 8 months ago. Ironically we are on good terms now.
Well, she originally took her bike with her when she moved, but it has collected dust for a year. I am remodeling my house told her I was selling some furniture ended up trading a entertainment system for the motorcycle. Was going to sell entertainment stand for $50 so I feel I got a Good deal lol.

ANYWAYS! The original problem with the bike was the shifter got bumped off the stud in the crankcase, simple fix. While I was putting the engine back together i broke a camshaft

After a new camshaft I somehow messed up my timing and broke 3 rocker arms

Right now I am searching for some cheap rocker arms and planning what im going to do to frame.
I am thinking about hacking up the frame and making a custom bobber...

Either way ill try to keep yall updated
Wow! I looked at the date but didn't look at the year as I read this thread until I saw this post. Glad to hear you figured it out but sorry to hear about the rest of your troubles. I suggest getting a second functional engine so you can ride and take your time working on the first engine.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote