ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:11 AM   #1
2003ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: hayden

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Broken key...

Today i went to go fill up. I stuck the key in the gas tank, twisted it, and it just broke. I wasn't forcing it any harder than i usually do. It just snapped. I feel like if i take it to the dealership they will charge me an insane amount if cash. What should i do?
2003ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM   #2
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Time for an aftermarket racing tank cap. Slingshot racing makes a great piece. Search ebay. You might have to do some drilling to get your stock gas cap off though, good luck to ya.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:51 AM   #3
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Flip the bike upside down and shake it until the broken piece falls out.

Our our keys metal enough for a magnet to lift the piece out?

A toothpick with something stick on the end?

Also, there are lots of threads talking about how to get the cap off (drilling?), if that's the route you want to go in.

You weren't clear on exactly why the broken key is a problem for you. You don't mention if you have a spare, how stuck the broken piece is, if the tank will open (the key is in it, right? it may rotate with a screw driver now), etc.
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:55 AM   #4
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

You can probably get the piece out of the lock with needle-nose.
Next, open up the tail(if you can), and look inside, there should be a number printed on the lock...take that number to the kawi dealership, and order a new key.

Or, if you have a spare key, just go get some key place to grind you a bunch of them.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
2003ninja
ninjette.org member

I have no spare, key broke off and is still in the gas tank. There are very small openings on either side, so i dont know if i could get it out. Ill post a pic of it later. I still have no idea what to do, i tried getting it out with the tweezers and small toothpics. I also unscrewed all the allen bolts but the get is stuck in the lock position so thats why i think its not coming out. If there are any very small needle nose pliers out there, i need a pair. And i mean like extremely small.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:12 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I have both a Slingshot Racing and a new replica locking gas cap with keys, both for the pregen. I should be getting rid of one or the other. I'll try to remember this thread when I do so.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

There is another screw under the filler cap holding the cap assembly on. You'll have to drill a hole in the cap to gain access to it. Use a flat screwdriver to turn the lock cylinder the rest of the way to open the cap, the broken key should still be engaging the wafers. Push down on the cap while turning, and wiggle the screwdriver as neccessary. Once you remove the cap take it and the pieces of the key to a locksmith to get replacements made. The key is brass.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #8
2003ninja
ninjette.org member

isnt it illegal for a locksmith to make replicas of vehicle keys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keys 034.jpg (70.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg keys 032.jpg (55.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg keys 033.jpg (53.5 KB, 2 views)

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:09 AM   #9
2003ninja
ninjette.org member

I cant seem to get the gas cap open with a flat screwdriver either.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Renner
Ignoring Jiggles

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrunch View Post
Flip the bike upside down and shake it until the broken piece falls out.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM   #11
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003ninja View Post
isnt it illegal for a locksmith to make replicas of vehicle keys?
Absolutely not. In fact, it's not illegal for anyone to make keys. I make my own keys for my bike.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:27 AM   #12
FrugalNinja250

I've examined the pictures as best as I could. The key is partly turned. Likely what's happened is corrosion in the latch increased turning resistance to the point of finishing off the key. The key cannot be removed until you turn the lock cylinder back to the straight ahead position. Find a screwdriver that's the full size of that slot. Use a Dremel to file a notch in the center of the blade that's the same width of the key stump. You'll want the screwdriver to have two tangs that stick down into the slot on both sides of the key remnant. Then work on get it turned back. If it starts to move, you can turn it forward and back and work at it, while pushing down firmly on the filler cap assembly, and maybe get it to completely unlock. That's the best case scenario, because at that point you can remove the filler cap assembly and dismantle it for lubrication and cleaning, and get the key stump out and to a locksmith for duplication.

The next best scenario is that you're going to have to drill a hole in the cap over the philips screw and then remove the screw so that you can get the cap assembly off. Once it's off you'll be able to get it working again like above, except you'll have a 1/8" hole in the cap to one side. You can replace the cap, swapping the lock cylinder to the new cap so that one key still works everything, or put a plug in the hole, or just leave it as it affects nothing other than making it easier for a thief to get the cap open for some odd reason. (You don't need to get the cap open to steal the gas, just a bit of vacuum hose on the petcock)

There are some threads over on http://www.ninja250.org that detail where to drill to get that screw. Personally, I'd work with the modified screwdriver first.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM   #13
2003ninja
ninjette.org member

First ill try to get the remainder of the key out of the gas cap keyhole, it seemed to start coming out when i pulled it with tweezers. Ill try to find something to take it out with. If that doesn't work ill try to get something to turn the key all the way. If that dosent work ill go with the drilling. If that dosent work ill flip the bike upside down and try to wiggle the key out if nothing works then ill find someway to get it to the dealership.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:11 PM   #14
FrugalNinja250

The key is physically locked in place by the lock internals, and cannot be removed without wrecking the lock. Also, getting it out that way will render it useless to a locksmith for making another key.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:21 PM   #15
2003ninja
ninjette.org member

Alright then, ill be trying to fashion something to be able to turn the key all the way.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I've examined the pictures as best as I could. The key is partly turned. Likely what's happened is corrosion in the latch increased turning resistance to the point of finishing off the key. The key cannot be removed until you turn the lock cylinder back to the straight ahead position. Find a screwdriver that's the full size of that slot. Use a Dremel to file a notch in the center of the blade that's the same width of the key stump. You'll want the screwdriver to have two tangs that stick down into the slot on both sides of the key remnant. Then work on get it turned back. If it starts to move, you can turn it forward and back and work at it, while pushing down firmly on the filler cap assembly, and maybe get it to completely unlock. That's the best case scenario, because at that point you can remove the filler cap assembly and dismantle it for lubrication and cleaning, and get the key stump out and to a locksmith for duplication.

The next best scenario is that you're going to have to drill a hole in the cap over the philips screw and then remove the screw so that you can get the cap assembly off. Once it's off you'll be able to get it working again like above, except you'll have a 1/8" hole in the cap to one side. You can replace the cap, swapping the lock cylinder to the new cap so that one key still works everything, or put a plug in the hole, or just leave it as it affects nothing other than making it easier for a thief to get the cap open for some odd reason. (You don't need to get the cap open to steal the gas, just a bit of vacuum hose on the petcock)

There are some threads over on http://www.ninja250.org that detail where to drill to get that screw. Personally, I'd work with the modified screwdriver first.
Yes, vandals can access your engine to add contaminates more directly through the oil cap. Yes, a thief doesn't even need to access the fuel door to steal gas with vacuum hose on the fitting. Yes, a half-full 5-gallon tank isn't the most attractive target to a thief willing to risk being caught. All this is true, but also, yes, a brand new locking replacement cap can be had for as little as $20 if you don't mind carrying an extra key or stashing one under the locking seat.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #17
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
... The key is partly turned ... The key cannot be removed until you turn the lock cylinder back to the straight ahead position...
Yep. The key hole needs to get be turned back before it will come out. Shaking the bike upside down will be pointless until you do so.

All kidding aside, it looks like we've seen enough advice now.

- get key hole straight
- get key fragment out (if possible)
- drill hole to remove last screw and replace (if necessary)
- get new keys made up with secret code from lock cylinder

Good luck to OP.
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #18
2003ninja
ninjette.org member

I can get the keyhole back to locked but not unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I have both a Slingshot Racing and a new replica locking gas cap with keys, both for the pregen. I should be getting rid of one or the other. I'll try to remember this thread when I do so.
Sounds good.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM   #19
FrugalNinja250

Good info in this thread: http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...ler+cap#802628

Old July 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #20
2003ninja
ninjette.org member

Was able to get the rest of the key out, scratching the sh!t out of my gas cap but its alright. Took the two pieces to a lock smith and some $ later i got two keys that worked in the gas cap and the key hole but not ignition took it back they made two new ones that worked for everything. Thnaks for everyones help with this.

its crazy how knowing you cant ride your bike makes you go a little bit insane. i use my car for transportation but just knowing i couldn't ride my bike defiantly changed my attitude over the last day and a half. Glad i can ride again

(P.S. Anyone who has a cheap replacement gas cap shoot me a PM.)