Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #41
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
Lane splitting is illegal here in Florida but I filter through at red lights to move up to the front to avoid being stuck in traffic and potentially rear ended. I have been rear ended in a car at a red light and required surgery and physical therapy for my neck, I do not want it to happen on a bike... It's amazing though I've had people full on road rage at me honking/yelling etc when I pull up in front of them at a red light, it's not like I'm slowing them down at all or getting in their way.
I won't say I am an ass but in this situation I pop it in nuteral and walk back to the window and tell them bluntly screw you its legal.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #42
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
Yea I understand that, people are just so ignorant. I've had people start moving over trying to block me, throw **** at me, etc...

I've been stopped by a police officer twice for doing this and explained to them the safety reasons behind it and they changed their attitude and let me go and carry on what I was doing. Best time was on memorial day, coming home from the beach and it was starting to rain so there is a mass exodus of cars (many of which were probably drunk) trying to leave the island and backed up bumper to bumper trying to get to and over the bridge, bike lane FTW (then passed police officer stuck on the bridge and he turned on his lights so I stopped next to him and told him why I was doing it and he told me to carry on
That's awesome. I always like hearing about good guy cops.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #43
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Where's NYC Steve when you need him....
Steve...put up your vid of the daily commute.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #44
mwirrick
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, Concours, 2009 FZ1, 2007 BMW G650X Challenge, 1997 Ducati 900SS, SP

Pro lane splitting

This thread is old but I am new to the forum and thought I'd weigh in just a bit and add my vote in favor of lane splitting. I come from California and still keep a bike out there to ride when I visit. Lane splitting in Los Angeles, and elsewhere is well understood and accepted by most motorists and makes motorcycling that much more efficient both in terms of time and money.
I do it politely, waving a thank you to those observant drivers who move to the edge of their lanes when they see me coming. I don't go blasting by stopped or very slow moving traffic too fast as that DOES make it dangerous. Door checking is attempted murder, not to mention a good way to ruin your car door so not a realistic concern. Never been intentionally cut off but a motorist. Lots more people would take up motorcycling as commute transport if other states would allow lane splitting. Its definitely not a time to be day dreaming, but can offer rewards just like twisty roads and make getting through traffic surprisingly entertaining.
mwirrick is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #45
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ZX6R

i feel lanesplitting should be legal in all states when approaching a light, no point to sit behind a car and worry about getting rear ended. lane splitting to the front of a light would be safer for the rider and help flow traffic better
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #46
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
As far as i know its illegal in NJ... even if it was legal i think you may get shot in this state.
HAHA!! I'll just keep my escape routes open.
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #47
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I was riding short distances around Pittsburgh today to pick up some odds and ends. A bunch of traffic everywhere, and hot and muggy. Sitting in line at long lights while it changed 2 or 3 times was a nightmare! It doesn't have to be like this. Fortunately, where I ride 98% of the time, it's not.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #48
SSG54
ninjette.org member

Name: Benny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

i just found this little link, a petition to make lane splitting legal in NY

http://www.change.org/petitions/ny-s...new-york-state
SSG54 is offline   Reply With Quote